• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Phil Hendrie Show or Coast to Coast AM?

Started by spud, March 06, 2012, 05:53:19 AM

Phil Hendrie Show or Coast to Coast AM?

Coast to Coast AM
0 (0%)
The Phil Hendrie Show
2 (66.7%)
don imus
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: April 07, 2012, 05:53:19 AM

spud

When KVI 570 switched format from conservative talk to oldies up here in WA state last year Coast to Coast AM was forced to move to a new station. In January KVI went back to talk radio format minus the conservative part. One of the shows they picked up was The Phil Hendrie Show, which now occupies the same exact Mon-Sun 9:00 PM - 3:00 AM time slot that Coast to Coast AM used to on KVI. Hendrie is live every night from 10:00 PM - 1:00 AM, so its one of the few overnight radio programs that competes with  Coast to Coast AM. I only started listening to The Phil Hendrie Show the other night and i already love it. It's way more entertaining than  Coast to Coast AM. What do you prefer? Does anyone ever tune into Phil Hendrie instead of C2CAM?

Eddie Coyle

Hendrie, of course. But truth be told, he's far over the hill and his battles with TRN have weakened his show in the past few years. He does about 1/3 of the characters he used to, he's out "sick" about half the time.

So, I choose Hendrie hands down...but his show is graveyard bound as well.

The General

Yeah, Hendrie over Noory anyday.
I was glad when KVI started carrying him.  We must be neighbors.

MV/Liberace!

i started listening to hendrie in 2003, but i haven't listened regularly in any way since he left radio in 2006.  that show was easily the funniest thing i've ever been exposed to.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 06, 2012, 11:53:44 AM
i started listening to hendrie in 2003, but i haven't listened regularly in any way since he left radio in 2006.  that show was easily the funniest thing I've ever been exposed to.

I remember hearing Phil in 99'. I believe he was taking a "call" from a fat person enraged about being weighed at the airport, then having to buy a second ticket because said fatty was to damn big for one seat! Comedy GOLD!

Ben Shockley

I discovered Hendrie soon after he came to Los Angeles on KFI (only; non-syndicated) in '96.  The show- and schedule changes involved with that move also led to me discovering "Coast to Coast."  I have a stack of cassette tapes of his show from back then.

Quote from: PortlandDangler on March 20, 2012, 11:26:19 AM
I remember hearing Phil in 99'... a fat person enraged... said fatty was to damn big... Comedy GOLD!
Sounds like the character "Roland Selb" (though the last name has changed over the years).  I guess you were hearing him on KFI too ~ or was he somehow online by then?
KFI used to run a promo bumper in and for his show, which had a snippet of an old woman's voice (in unknown context) exclaiming "comedy gold!"

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 06, 2012, 11:53:44 AM
i started listening to hendrie in 2003... easily the funniest thing i've ever been exposed to.
By '03, he had already gone political (by my standards).   Imagine the show you heard, even purely funnier without the socio-political bitching and baggage~~~
"Bitching," by the way, was the name of the show his ex-wife Maria co-hosted on KFI around the time they got married.  Specifically, it was "Bitching, with Sanchez and Walker."

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 06, 2012, 09:08:02 AM
             [Hendrie's] battles with TRN have weakened his show in the past few years.
That's interesting; I'm wondering how exactly you mean "weakened."  I'll look for it, but do you know any handy info sources for that?

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 06, 2012, 09:08:02 AM
He does about 1/3 of the characters he used to... his show is graveyard bound as well.
Like I said: he has to make time to talk/kvetch/hold court/wax angry with his "in studio team" characters about socio-politics.  Comedy gets in the way of that (self-)important analysis.

My short answer: NEITHER SHOW.  "NoorCoast" is a frustrating bore; Hendrie these days just spikes my blood pressure and makes me want to kick him in the 'nads.
I say "these days" -- ironically, the last time I could really stand Hendrie, "Coast" was also still interesting.  What a paradox.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Ben Shockley on March 21, 2012, 03:43:28 PM

That's interesting; I'm wondering how exactly you mean "weakened."  I'll look for it, but do you know any handy info sources for that?

Primarily in his chronic absenteeism in the past two years. He'd love for TRN to buy him out-openly criticizing their operation has been his MO-, but they apparently won't take the bait. Mark Masters wants him to serve his full sentence.

Countless shows he bailed on due to "illness"(sick of doing the show) or the reliable "technical difficulties". I doubt he did 6 weeks last year of a full a 5 day/3 hour shift. There's always "something suddenly coming up".

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 21, 2012, 03:52:48 PM
         ...He'd love for TRN to buy him out-openly criticizing their operation has been his MO-, but they apparently won't take the bait.

Okay, so does he just not like working for that company? -- or wants to quit the biz altogether?   Or what?   Dish the details, Danny.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Ben Shockley on March 21, 2012, 04:16:43 PM

Okay, so does he just not like working for that company? -- or wants to quit the biz altogether?   Or what?   Dish the details, Danny.
Dr Doom's diagmosis: Phil wishes he were Howard Stern. Wishes he had his money, his legacy, his current standing in showbiz. Phil hates TRN, because it's a third tier operation full of right wing hosts, and that Phil is residing in that stable is another fastball in the ear flap to his ego. He believes his peers are the likes of Stern or Limbaugh(popularity wise)...not Rusty Humpries and Mancow(both are arguably more well known than Phil). Nobody's fault but his, TRN has always been a Bush-bot/GOP reject clearinghouse, he signed the deal with them apparently due to lack of interest elsewhere. With Phil's mendacious ways, much of what we hear from him career-wise must be tended to with a fine-toothed comb.

He'd rather be a TV personality, but roles for 300lb, balding, 60 year old Micks are limited. So he'll keep trying, small roles on "Naploeon Dynamite" and "New Girl" are his latest foray. Hardly the type of thing that pays bills, but does add to his IMDB resume.

JC Collins

Phil's best days are behind him. 

While he undoubtedly produced a lot of great comedy in the past, it's time for him to either start taking callers again, or look for a new line of work.

BigDave

Phil Hendrie is too liberal for Me. I found I couldn't listen anymore,too taxing on the ears ::)

Sleepwalker

I'll take Phil Hendrie over Coast to Coast with George Noory or John B. Wells.  The only Coast shows I purposely listen to are the ones hosted by George Knapp.  Coast to Coast, under Noory and Wells, is a steaming pile of bat excrement. The show could be saved if Premiere would fire Noory and Wells and persuade Knapp to take over as full-time host.  Knapp seems like a reasonable guy who would never allow a douchebag like Alex Jones on the show.

Even when he's having a bad night, Hendrie is far more articulate and entertaining than Noory.  I'd love to hear Phil do a parody of Noory interviewing Alex Jones.