• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 8 Sucks

Started by Marc.Knight, March 05, 2012, 04:04:20 PM

onan

I used to love apple. Back in the day of windows 3.1. Even in to Windows ME.

But somewhere in that time frame I decided to buy an apple newton, an mp2000. I think I paid about 2 grand for the kit and kaboodle. Not 2 weeks later apple stopped supporting the newton product line.

Not a big fan of apple.

Windows is still an overbloated resource sucking pig of a program. But not many alternatives to turn to.

McPhallus

Quote from: onan on June 30, 2012, 07:26:30 PM
I used to love apple. Back in the day of windows 3.1. Even in to Windows ME.

But somewhere in that time frame I decided to buy an apple newton, an mp2000. I think I paid about 2 grand for the kit and kaboodle. Not 2 weeks later apple stopped supporting the newton product line.

Not a big fan of apple.

Windows is still an overbloated resource sucking pig of a program. But not many alternatives to turn to.

Compared to that steaming turd Windows ME, everything else was golden.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on June 30, 2012, 07:26:30 PM

i think they got it right with win7.  best operating system since win2K, in my opinion.  however, any version of windows with even a shred of legacy code has no business running on a mobile device.  while many are impressed with microsoft's latest tablet offering, i think it will ultimately fail miserably.

Quote from: McPhallus on June 30, 2012, 07:45:46 PM
Compared to that steaming turd Windows ME, everything else was golden.

you're right.  winME was absolutely unforgivable and microsoft should have been ashamed of themselves for that.  i went from winME to win2K, and the difference was night and day. 

ziznak

ewwwww.... they're trying to turn your computer into a phone... shouldnt it be the other way round?  and whats the deal with thinking that autosizing two apps side by side is so damn cool... what a waste

MV/Liberace!

i can't properly articulate how unexcited i am about windows 8.  what's even more amazing is the fact that computers are my livelihood, and i've not ONCE even seen a device/computer running any form of windows 8.  i have felt zero interest in familiarizing myself with it at all.  i'm sure i'll be forced down that road soon enough, but until then, i'll pass.

windows 8 should get me a lot of business (at least the x86/64 variant... RT, probably not so much since it doesn't run standard windows applications).  all of this new code is surely loaded with unknown security vulnerabilities, and with the worldwide prevalence of windows, the malware is sure to flourish as a result.

Quote from: MV on October 18, 2012, 11:41:26 PM
i can't properly articulate how unexcited i am about windows 8.  what's even more amazing is the fact that computers are my livelihood, and i've not ONCE even seen a device/computer running any form of windows 8.  i have felt zero interest in familiarizing myself with it at all.  i'm sure i'll be forced down that road soon enough, but until then, i'll pass.

windows 8 should get me a lot of business (at least the x86/64 variant... RT, probably not so much since it doesn't run standard windows applications).  all of this new code is surely loaded with unknown security vulnerabilities, and with the worldwide prevalence of windows, the malware is sure to flourish as a result.

I love the anticipation of hearing how unenthusiastic you feel about new windows/MS releases.  It's like a guaranteed giggle every time.  Although you've been more "diplomatic" about it this time around.

ziznak

There will be much loot to be made from all the "gotta get it first" idiots that hop on this one thats fer-sure!  Just like any other windows/office variants I'll wait until I see it in a few places before I take the plunge. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on October 19, 2012, 03:00:40 AM
I love the anticipation of hearing how unenthusiastic you feel about new windows/MS releases.  It's like a guaranteed giggle every time.  Although you've been more "diplomatic" about it this time around.

now that i think about it... jeeze... you've been witness to my podcast/coastgab bloviation for about 4.5 years now.  the flowers and a sponge are on the way.

i wish you'd post more often.

Morgus

I'm curious how much more bloated Windows 8 will be and how much hard disk space it will use for basic installation.
Windows 7 got very bloated compared to the earlier Windows XP too.
I have a dual boot setup on my current desktop PC, with both Windows XP Pro (32bit) and Windows 7 Pro (64bit).
Windows XP Pro installed with the apps I typically use only takes about 4GB of hard disk space for the install.
Windows 7 Pro (64bit) installed with the same apps however is taking up over 13GB in comparison!

I can only imagine Windows 8 will be even more bloated - probably taking 25GB or more for a similar install?
Hard disk space itself isn't so much the issue, but size of backup image files is, if you want to store some on an optical disc.
With XP I could easily fit a compressed backup image on a DVD+RW (in fact could fit two of them) since the compressed image was only a little over 2GB in size.
With Windows 7, I now have to use two DVD+RWs to fit a single compressed backup image, or use a BluRay RW disc, since the total backup image size is over 6GB (compressed).

heater

I've been using a final release version of Win 8 Pro for 2 weeks that came directly from Microsoft on a Samsung Series 7 Slate.  During the beta versions I was not excited about it but having used it on a touchscreen / tablet now I must say they have done a great job with it. 

When I compare Win 8 to Apple's Mountain Lion update (which I also own) Microsoft wins hands down on the whole stupid "Let's turn a desktop into a phone" mistake they all seem to be making.  At least with the PRO version of Windows it still has 95% of the functional desktop available to you.  Mountain Lion is adding some of the dumbest features I've seen on a desktop and doing them in a "phone" like fashion when I really do not care about them Notifications being an example as well as the new launchpad app opening.

I think if Microsoft gets their act together and explains the difference between Windows 8 RT and Pro...and people choose Pro they will grab get a large stake in the tablet world and this could slowly be the death of the standard laptop.  I predict that Windows 8 RT will be a massive failure though and will result in a class-action lawsuit similar to Windows 7 Basic edition.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: themudking on October 19, 2012, 05:01:53 PM
I've been using a final release version of Win 8 Pro for 2 weeks that came directly from Microsoft on a Samsung Series 7 Slate.  During the beta versions I was not excited about it but having used it on a touchscreen / tablet now I must say they have done a great job with it. 

When I compare Win 8 to Apple's Mountain Lion update (which I also own) Microsoft wins hands down on the whole stupid "Let's turn a desktop into a phone" mistake they all seem to be making.  At least with the PRO version of Windows it still has 95% of the functional desktop available to you.  Mountain Lion is adding some of the dumbest features I've seen on a desktop and doing them in a "phone" like fashion when I really do not care about them Notifications being an example as well as the new launchpad app opening.

I think if Microsoft gets their act together and explains the difference between Windows 8 RT and Pro...and people choose Pro they will grab get a large stake in the tablet world and this could slowly be the death of the standard laptop.  I predict that Windows 8 RT will be a massive failure though and will result in a class-action lawsuit similar to Windows 7 Basic edition.

you need to get out of that cave and start doing some spec sheet episodes with me again.
(coastgab runs really well on my xbox, btw.)

ziznak

i know man you guys could do an hour just rippin on fuckrosoft... CMON!!

heater

You're right, let's do a show quick while I am actually willing to give Microsoft credit for something.

elbee

After installing windows 8 this weekend, four hours uptime and a fatal system caching error, combine that with metro, and metro opening when ever you type anything into the windows start menu search bar, i HATE it!

If ONLY I could run my games and music software on linux or ubuntu! Would that be possible?

McPhallus

Quote from: EgoFartSnooryBoy on November 04, 2012, 08:57:14 AM
After installing windows 8 this weekend, four hours uptime and a fatal system caching error, combine that with metro, and metro opening when ever you type anything into the windows start menu search bar, i HATE it!

If ONLY I could run my games and music software on linux or ubuntu! Would that be possible?

Next time I see Steve Balmer on a bus, I'm gonna fuck him up.

Pragmier

MV/Liberace!

After installing windows 8 this weekend, four hours uptime and a fatal system caching error...

did you do a clean install, or did you do an in place upgrade?  if you did the latter, you need to start over and do a clean install.  never do an upgrade.  problems will ensue.

analog kid

Depends on which games and software, and which brand of graphics card you have. Setting up Wine and getting all your standard windows applications running that you can't live without is very easy. You can check the Wine compatibility database here.

I'd recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon, if you don't like the metro-like interfaces. Ubuntu went the same route as Windows 8 in terms of trying to merge the desktop with a touchscreen UI. Mint is based on Ubuntu but it's leaner, with a traditional desktop.

MV/Liberace!

windows 8 is a pile of shit.

i have now found, with three different machines, each with a CLEAN win8 installation, that the file transfer process tends to hang in midstream for no apparent reason at all.  again... that's on three different machines with clean installs.

also, i just found that after windows updates requiring a restart, if you shut the machine down completely and then power it up, you'll find windows still wants you to do a fucking restart.  ok, so a full power down wasn't good enough?  really?  this is the first version of windows in which i've seen that.  just another example of windows getting in my way rather than allowing me to get work done.

oh, and to state the obvious, the metro interface (start screen) is a useless FUCKING joke if you aren't on a touch device.  just a god damned disappointment. 

i'm glad steven sinofsky was fired.  i hope that jerk is secretly suffering from a severe case of genital warts.

McPhallus

Steve Ballmer is a big stupid ape.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on November 20, 2012, 07:51:11 PM
windows 8 is a pile of shit.

i have now found, with three different machines, each with a CLEAN win8 installation, that the file transfer process tends to hang in midstream for no apparent reason at all.  again... that's on three different machines with clean installs.

also, i just found that after windows updates requiring a restart, if you shut the machine down completely and then power it up, you'll find windows still wants you to do a fucking restart.  ok, so a full power down wasn't good enough?  really?  this is the first version of windows in which i've seen that.  just another example of windows getting in my way rather than allowing me to get work done.

oh, and to state the obvious, the metro interface (start screen) is a useless FUCKING joke if you aren't on a touch device.  just a god damned disappointment. 

i'm glad steven sinofsky was fired.  i hope that jerk is secretly suffering from a severe case of genital warts.

It might be worth waiting for Windows 9 when hopefully they realize that millions of people still use regular old laptops and PCs.

ziznak

These damn companies don't get it... yeah tablets are cool in your little advertising world of artistic touch screen finger painting children but in the real WORLD tablets suffer severe damage in the hands of most normal adults and gauranteed destruction in the hands of most children.  I love touch screens don't get me wrong here but when I want to type I want a keyboard... when my computer freezes I want ctrl alt delete keys and function keys... what do you do with a frozen touch screen?  you turn it the fuck off and then on again thats it... Tablets are just making all of the regular portable computer problems worse... battery life being one of the main concerns... they're turning the beloved laptop computer into a shitty phone I can't stand it.  Hopefully they will learn... I really dont want to wake up someday in a world of shitty phones... I mean MORE shitty phones instead of laptops...

HAL 9000

Quote from: EgoFartSnooryBoy on November 04, 2012, 08:57:14 AMAfter installing windows 8 this weekend...

Ummm... You did this on purpose?

Ninja_Bobcat

Is windows 8 good or is it crap?

Morgus

Quote from: McPhallus on December 16, 2012, 02:47:11 PM
Thunderbird?
yep, looks like Thunderbird is creating aliases now?
a tendency to create polls all over the place is a good giveaway.
he claimed he was leaving for good, but keeps coming back, very trollish behavior.

maybe using various aliases, UFO Phil is on a mission to annoy  Noory's haters?  8)

Juan

I thought at first he might be Quayle, but his posts are nowhere near long enough for that.  UFO Phil, indeed.

Hey, Phil, why don't you cut a rap version of your song and send it to sNoory?

ziznak

I cringe everytime I hear that whiney little voice

I wish Weird Al Yankovic would come here and annoy us and post lots of polls.