• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

JC

Started by BigWorm, July 14, 2008, 01:07:23 AM

BigWorm

I think he is a prank caller that caught on. In his early calls he would laugh n snicker when he said outrageous things, and would wait for the host to hang up on him... i half expected him to shout out bababooy, bababooy..... over time the hosts never hung up on him so he acted more and more serious/bold with the character he created.

EvB

I absolutely agree.  It's performance art. It's too utterly insane - yet hangs together too well to be comming from someone who is truly out of touch with "reality"

Loui Zoot

JC seems like a very well rehearsed character. I'd say Premiere or Noory are in on it with JC now, as they were giving away his cd if you buy the overpriced newsletter. We know they we giving the old guy from the Philadelphia project money for his old interview, that was being given away with the newsletter at that point in time.

VictoryAli

I've wondered how the CD is supposed to work because wouldn't JC or whoever is playing JC be entitled to royalties? Now I'm assuming Premiere is giving him royalties, although the image of JC in court suing Premiere and C2C for putting out the CD without his permission is hilarious. However,  I am convinced JC is a fake. In the early days of Coast, Art Bell would have to wade through religious crazies in the JC's league but without JC's fire on a nightly basis. So when a over the top prank call came in that satirized the real calls Art Bell was getting, I think he just let JC run with it to see where it would go. Now several years later, we're still talking about this. But yeah I'm pretty sure it's fake.

MV/Liberace!

regarding royalties...
i believe that if you call a radio show, it is assumed that you have agreed to contribute to the product (the radio show) and you have by extension given the owner of the product permission to use your contribution in any way they see fit.  the only way they'd have to pay royalties to somebody would be if the show went out and acquired audio of somebody's voice and then placed it in a tangible product like a cd for sale.

Loui Zoot

I would generally agree with the contributed content. Although I still think they paid him something on the afterdark cd giveaway. They were calling him JC Webster, which in the past they made a big deal about blocking his last name out. The fact they were using his last name tends to make me believe that they are kissing cousins at this point in time.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Loui Zoot on July 14, 2008, 05:38:05 PM
I would generally agree with the contributed content. Although I still think they paid him something on the afterdark cd giveaway. They were calling him JC Webster, which in the past they made a big deal about blocking his last name out. The fact they were using his last name tends to make me believe that they are kissing cousins at this point in time.
i believe you might have a point there.

i remember someone telling me they have heard jc talking to art on ham radio, and that he is actually a friend of art's.  no idea if there's any truth to that.

Max

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on July 14, 2008, 05:44:27 PM
i believe you might have a point there.

i remember someone telling me they have heard jc talking to art on ham radio, and that he is actually a friend of art's.  no idea if there's any truth to that.

well... that would be interesting to hear that angle

JC sounds too good to be true. Some of his stuff is just too comical. I don't know. I want to believe he's genuine, but the whole "global warming is happening because hell is getting hotter" thing....

As far as Art and JC being some form of friends at this point, it's totally possible. Maybe JC started as a random prank caller and Art liked it, so they got him to be a returning character or something and formed a "business-related" relationship.

Then again, I know about as much about JC Webster as anyone else, really. Just speculating.

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on August 12, 2008, 06:32:00 PM

Then again, I know about as much about JC Webster as anyone else, really. Just speculating.

Listen VERY VERY carefully next time you have the chance.  If you're lucky - you'll hear him stifle a laugh, and take a breath before he stats to rant again.

Quote from: EvB on August 12, 2008, 07:09:10 PM
Listen VERY VERY carefully next time you have the chance.  If you're lucky - you'll hear him stifle a laugh, and take a breath before he stats to rant again.

I had actually noticed that a couple of times! I wasn't sure if he was running out of breath or what, but it did sound like he was about to gag back on a laugh once or twice.

And remember the thing between him and Oscar? I mean seriously...what the hell? It was like watching (listening to) WCW wrestlers going back and forth on each other with Art/George as Mean Gene.

danDNA

the last time i heard JC on C"C (i'm typing that from now on - its easier) he sounded more than a little jaded, like they had pulled him on to do his little routine, there was no real ranting, in fact it turned into a conversation really. So i think it used to be truly spontaneous but when they put that CD out they obviously ruined the whole thing.
We need a new prank caller, but unfortunately i don't think anyone genuine or genius would get through the screeners nowadays, although the Sulimon situation was looking hot for one minute when he was calling in under different names and that just to get a few swipes at churchboy, but it didn't last. I remember when Sulimon used to call up before he went funny and i always knew he had potential, it was that sort of 'man-on-bus-with-a-bible' voice he had that made me think it. He used to call in proper 'up' sometimes - like the woman in Misery, and i just knew he must have 'downs' in his repertoire too. That whole scene would have been funny, if you can imagine a split TV screen with Ian on one side all dressed down in his casuals in the home studio chilling with the window open and a candle on, and on the other side Sulimon in a lime green dressing gown, unshaven, pacing and sweating desperately hitting redial, looking up to the sky asking Jesus to curse Ian Punnett. Classic.

Can we start a section entitled 'Who's your favourite caller'? Mine is John from Long Island.

EvB

Quote from: danDNA on August 14, 2008, 11:52:55 AM
That whole scene would have been funny, if you can imagine a split TV screen with Ian on one side all dressed down in his casuals in the home studio chilling with the window open and a candle on, and on the other side Sulimon in a lime green dressing gown, unshaven, pacing and sweating desperately hitting redial, looking up to the sky asking Jesus to curse Ian Punnett. Classic.

Yep, I agree - CLASSIC!

Spikegirl

Quote from: danDNA on August 14, 2008, 11:52:55 AM

Can we start a section entitled 'Who's your favourite caller'? Mine is John from Long Island.

OMG! I know who you are talking about. I grew up on LI and when I've heard John call in, I keep thinking "I knew there was a reason why I moved away from that place!". HaHa!

Dixie Butcher

Is John from Long Island the blind guy that always calls in ?

As for Suliman - MAN !!  What a tool!   I thought it was funny when Ian busted his balls,  but I do agree - I think he has potential to be the new "serial calling crazy person".    Dude takes himself waaaaaaaaaaaaay  too seriously.

Honestly,  I think the ONLY reason why Noory & Tommy started taking his calls is because he sounds black, and they felt like they needed a "token black caller"  or needed to represent African Americans better or something along those lines.

I have a feeling not many African Americans listen to Noory - they're too smart for that. 

I used to hate JC's calls just because he was obnoxious, but the more I hear him, the funnier it is. You can hear Art like physically duck when his voice comes over the phone, and then he actually talks to the bullhorn and tangles him in knots. I think it's hilarious.

But what is JC's actual motivation for calling, could his loud obnoxious accent actually be real? We may never know.

Queen

I was listening one night to george why i dont know, and he had some dumbass on his show saying things the bible didnt say, so i wrote him a fast blast and damn near everything i said  was repeated later by JC and i mean within the hour.  He didn't repeat word for word but it was enough to tell me JC is fake.  I fast blasted again and told him i new JC was fake never herd anything on that LOL.  But JC did use my points only he went way over board and took it out of context.  I can't prove this to anyone but for me i know hes fake.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NIN on September 10, 2008, 02:28:28 PM
I was listening one night to george why i dont know, and he had some dumbass on his show saying things the bible didnt say, so i wrote him a fast blast and damn near everything i said  was repeated later by JC and i mean within the hour.  He didn't repeat word for word but it was enough to tell me JC is fake.  I fast blasted again and told him i new JC was fake never herd anything on that LOL.  But JC did use my points only he went way over board and took it out of context.  I can't prove this to anyone but for me i know hes fake.
but were your points anything that would be unexpected or unusual for a believer to say, lending credibility to the notion that something had been fed to a fake jc?

Quote from: NIN on September 10, 2008, 02:28:28 PM

Interesting, to say the least. If there were profound evidence presented, that would suggest that not only is JC a fake, but JC's calls are premeditated within the C2CAM staff...or JC is possibly even a member of staff. That would make me kind of sad though, since it would also mean Art was lying to us. But, I guess in the name of good entertainment...I can overlook that. If Art admits JC is a fake, the magic of his character is gone. It's fun, for me anyways, believing there is actually a real JC Webster.

EvB

Quoteit would also mean Art was lying to us. But, I guess in the name of good entertainment...I can overlook that. If Art admits JC is a fake, the magic of his character is gone. It's fun, for me anyways, believing there is actually a real JC Webster.

Keep in mind that many things have changed since Art's rein.  It's possible that JC was just some off-the-wall caller who caught on, and Art ran with it, but now that George in in the driver's seat C2C may need to pre-prepare to try and pull it off. 

Also, I consider Art, above all else, an entertainer.  Entertainers misdirect all the time in the name of entertainment. That's not quite the same as a lie. It's performance art. (pun intended)

Quote from: EvB on September 10, 2008, 03:24:11 PM
Keep in mind that many things have changed since Art's rein.  It's possible that JC was just some off-the-wall caller who caught on, and Art ran with it, but now that George in in the driver's seat C2C may need to pre-prepare to try and pull it off. 

Also, I consider Art, above all else, an entertainer.  Entertainers misdirect all the time in the name of entertainment. That's not quite the same as a lie. It's performance art. (pun intended)

Very true on both accounts. I'd hate for Art/George/Ian to come out and say.."yeah, he's a fake." I just have this issue with Art because while I understand he's an entertainer, I feel like he's about the most honest person I've ever heard on the air. But, you know..like we were saying, in the name of good entertainment, I'd understand. Logically, it's the best move because everyone I speak to loves JC's calls - including me.  :)

Anyone hear JC call in to Ian last night?

It was always kinda funny (for about 18 seconds) when JC would ambush Art Bell on unscreened open lines, but I never really liked those conversation/rants that much.

Ian kept mentioning JC would be up 'soon', then 'next' after the break, since he has callers screened.  Having JC waiting and knowing he is coming up 'next' just is not at all the same as having him suddenly 'on'. 

Ian seemed game, but a bit uncomfortable, probably felt he should take that call 'for the team - George being afraid of JC and all. 

Ian, if you read this, please don't feel you 'should' have JC on.  Really. 

But then I've never liked JC, and maybe I just don't get it.  I'm curious as to whether other folks like JC.  Just in small doses?  Just with Art?  Never would be too soon?

EvB

Did you hear JC's stifled laughter?  I did  ;D Ian did one of those "spit laughs" at something JC said - and JC was taken back for a couple of seconds. THAT was funny.

As for JC being "up soon" Ian said he was making JC hang on till last on the open call line. JC is pretty easy to deal with going into a break.  You can just hang up n him. 

I've been pretty sure that JC was a put-on for a long time - but if I hadn't - that call would have settled the deal for me.

Sophie

He didn't seem like he had his usual "boiling pits of sewage" rant to me either.

Supernormal

A little bit goes a long way. That said, I wish that he would go after Steve Quayle tonight.

KnyeGuy

Yup. The whole entertainment factor of JC has plummeted to zero. Screened calls SUCK, and trying to make JC appear as a random lunatic when call-screening is in effect is just a b s o l u t e bullshit.

JC [even] seems bored with the format of C2C since Noory took over. Hence he's lost his zest for inventing new words and  lines like "less book learnin', more book burnin'"
And I'm pretty sure that Noory actually thinks insultate is an actual verb... so to say the least, JC's tirades are lost on him anyways.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: KnyeGuy on August 15, 2009, 06:18:27 AM
Yup. The whole entertainment factor of JC has plummeted to zero. Screened calls SUCK, and trying to make JC appear as a random lunatic when call-screening is in effect is just a b s o l u t e bullshit.

JC [even] seems bored with the format of C2C since Noory took over. Hence he's lost his zest for inventing new words and  lines like "less book learnin', more book burnin'"
And I'm pretty sure that Noory actually thinks insultate is an actual verb... so to say the least, JC's tirades are lost on him anyways.

Nooron never "gets" JC's entertainment value.  Nooron is an excellent example of what a one dimensional universe would be like.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: KnyeGuy on August 15, 2009, 06:18:27 AM

This is so correct, and indicative of the drivel that the show has become.  JC was like an "Anti-Bell" - an entertaining antagonist so to speak.  His convoluted rants contrasted the steady intellectualism of Art Bell.  That entertaining, dynamic interchange just cannot exist when JC comes up against the infinite convolution of George Noory.  They cancel each other out.

J.C. is hands down the best thing about Coast to Coast. What other talk show has a legendary prank caller that berates the host and the show and is not minimized but instead celebrated? J.C. is a stroke of genius encompassing all the of the hilarious, horrid, and outright ridiculous elements of C2C and throws them back in the face of the show in a hilarious satirical character. Also whoever does J.C. is one of the quickest sharpest people I've ever heard. His razor sharp on the fly phraseology I have not heard before. As soon as I hear that high pitched southern voice start ranting about God and Art Bell, I immediately snap to attention and give my whole focus to the show. No matter how disinterested or just for background noise the show is, I always pay attention when J.C. is on.

The only bad thing about J.C. is how Noory fucked it all up. Bell played it like a true soldier to the point where you knew he found it funny but you never knew whether it was real or not. Noory started selling "Classic J.C. tapes" and having J.C. calling in at appointed times while sounding like reading a script with him. Fucking broke my heart to hear such a hilarious character whored out like that. Like a magician selling how he did your favorite trick as a kid.

What are your thoughts on the Ten Star General?

starrmtn001

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on August 10, 2010, 04:59:49 PM
J.C. is hands down the best thing about Coast to Coast. What other talk show has a legendary prank caller that berates the host and the show and is not minimized but instead celebrated? J.C. is a stroke of genius encompassing all the of the hilarious, horrid, and outright ridiculous elements of C2C and throws them back in the face of the show in a hilarious satirical character. Also whoever does J.C. is one of the quickest sharpest people I've ever heard. His razor sharp on the fly phraseology I have not heard before. As soon as I hear that high pitched southern voice start ranting about God and Art Bell, I immediately snap to attention and give my whole focus to the show. No matter how disinterested or just for background noise the show is, I always pay attention when J.C. is on.

The only bad thing about J.C. is how Noory fucked it all up. Bell played it like a true soldier to the point where you knew he found it funny but you never knew whether it was real or not. Noory started selling "Classic J.C. tapes" and having J.C. calling in at appointed times while sounding like reading a script with him. Fucking broke my heart to hear such a hilarious character whored out like that. Like a magician selling how he did your favorite trick as a kid.

What are your thoughts on the Ten Star General?

Got to say I'm with you on this one.  The banter between Art Bell and JC was pure gold.  The element of surprise and genuine talent were there.  The AB and JC "volleyball" game was so much fun.  I really miss it.

Years ago I thought JC was a Phil Hendrie character as Phil used to imitate Art on occasion.  Now I'm not so sure.  And you know something?  I don't think I want to know.  Knowing would take the mystery and fun out of JC.

Hey JC, some of us miss you on c2c.  Call in on the weekend when the COOL hosts are on. ;)