• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

hal-9000a

I would like to truly know what Art thinks about the direction the show he created is going?  I think it's getting too mainstream and too much religious talk, it's getting ridiculous.

Renaldo

I've wondered that too. 

Hi All,

Been a while since I have visited the site, good to see a lot of new users/posts!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think Art is done with Coast to Coast.  I am a streamlink (now called Coast Insider), but haven't listened to George in years now - I pay to hear Ian, George K.  and, when we are lucky, Art.  It also give access to a good amount of old Art shows.  Anyhow, I was listening to Art's Ghost to Ghost 2010 last night, which I believe is the last show he has done on Coast.  Here's the thing - I think it is his show ever!  There was something about his delivery that made me think he was a bit different, and it reminded me of previous retirement shows.  Early in the show he made a very pointed reference to his new HAM call letters, and just generally seemed a little different - not off his game or anything, just different. 

So, and I apologise for the rambling post (I am having my first coffee of the morning after overdoing it with mood altering substances last night), I just got this vibe from the show that something is different with Art.  Then I thought about recent posts here (or maybe at GLP), saying that Art won't be doing his predicitions show this year.  I mentioned before that I don't listen to Noory, so can't confirm or deny these posts, but apparently George was asked by a caller recently if Art would be doing the shows, and George said no, Art would be travelling.  Something about the posts also twigged soemthing in the back of my mind, but again, I didn't hear the show in question.

So, last nght, listening to the great Art Bell doing Ghost to Ghost, and I decide to see what recent Classic Shows have been posted.  Go to the C to C website, select the drop down menu in the show archive, and as I am about to select "Classic Shows"  i notice the "Hosts" section of the same drop down.  It list George, Ian, George K and.......that's it.  No Art.  Art has always been listed here.  Now he isn't.

Not doing the predicition show, not listed a as a host in the archives, and the suspicions of a (admittedly quite wasted) long time listener... could it be over?

Also, anyone notice just how many Friday's Ian has been doing ( I quite like Ian, think he is light years better than George, so glad to have him on more often)?  It is reminiscent of when George started taking over more of Art's slots.  Are we seeing another slow changing of the guard?

MV/Liberace!

i think (an important qualifier) as long as art is physically able, he will continue to host the show from time to time.  however, you could be correct, daddio.  i don't ever visit the c2c website, so i would have no way of noticing the discrepancy you speak of... but how could art not be listed as a host?  wtf?  that IS troubling.  that said, after so many retirements and subsequent returns, nothing art does will surprise me.

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on December 18, 2010, 12:20:12 PM
So, last nght, listening to the great Art Bell doing Ghost to Ghost, and I decide to see what recent Classic Shows have been posted.  Go to the C to C website, select the drop down menu in the show archive, and as I am about to select "Classic Shows"  i notice the "Hosts" section of the same drop down.  It list George, Ian, George K and.......that's it.  No Art.  Art has always been listed here.  Now he isn't.

Troubling indeed.

The fact that his name is no longer on the drop down menu is VERY weird.

I like your observation on Ian doing more Friday OL, like Geroge did when he was starting the change over - I can only HOPE that Ian or Knappster become the regular host of C2C...

Great observation, on both fronts.

Fuck, I hope someone just screwed up and that arts name is soon back on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renaldo

Interesting, it is off the list. I wonder if he's just silently leaving since he's made a hullabaloo over retiring more times than I can remember.  Too bad if he is. 

I didn't anything about the tone of the Ghost to Ghost show, but I do remember him pimping his new call sign.  I assumed it was because he was allowed to have his initials in it, and was rubbing it in the face of some of his HAM friends.

Poked around on the site a bit, and Art is no longer in the "Hosts" list from the main menu, or the hosts section of the menu in the archive, or under hosts on this page:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/archive

Also, his biography link has been removed from this page:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/pages/about

If you search the site for Art Bell, the biography page comes up in the search, but it is the old one from his last retirement (it still mentions him as the weekend host!)

I am thinking this is deliberate, although the pages could all be generated from the same database table, in which case it is still possible that Art was "accidentally" deleted there.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but my gut tells me he is gone for good (good points from MV about his many retirements, but if I remember correctly he always had a contract to do fill in shows, and he was always listed as a host on the C2C website).  I hope not, I really, really do, but ...

There was one other thing about the 2010 Ghost to Ghost show that just came back to me.  Early in the show, Art mentioned he had call screeners - and he didn't seem thrilled about it.  I got the impression they were forced on him, and he was going along this time, but was seething inside.  Could it have been the straw that broke the camel's back?

Anyhow, as I mentioned, I am an Ian fan and happy to see him getting more Friday OL shows.  BUT, I do have to call him out - he has the frickin horse guy on again tonight!  WTF?  That was the worst show ever, I can't for the life of me understand why he would be back on.

MV/Liberace!

i just fired off an email to art, hoping to get it straight from the horse's mouth.  who knows if he'll respond, tho.  i'm sure he gets bullshit emails all day, everyday, from idiots asking him all manner of things.

Renaldo

I sent Ian a facebook message asking him about it.

Bosco

My guess if Art doesn't do his annual New Years Eve predictions show(s) there is something bad going on.

Marc.Knight

Management knows that an announced, permanent departure of Art Bell would have some impact on ratings.  Good business strategy would have him go quietly into the night.

saab93driver

I'd agree if we don't see Art for the predictions show something is up.  It could be even Art wanted his name removed for some reason. 

punkinpie

Ian said over the weekend that he was doing the predictions show.

saab93driver

He as in Ian or He as in Art?

Pista

I don't think art cares if he continues to do the show or not.
The few times i have heard him on C2C he doesn't even care if we can hear him breathing while a guest is talking. He sounds like someone who's been up for 36hours.

zombie jenny

New poster here, hello all! Saw this topic and just had to post.

I just listened a few days ago to art's shows via streamlink. I read the thread here and thought no way, but sure enough he has been wiped off the site. I can't even click on his name under hosts in the show archives...it's not even listed! Art is the only reason I signed up and I canceled minutes ago once I saw this.

I wonder if they have been taking all of his shows out of the archives slowly. When I was looking through last week for a show to listen to 90% off them that I would click on in Art's section only had a description and no audio link. I thought it odd but chalked it up to the site being loopy. Not thinking so now. I am seriously bummed about this!

coastfan

If you look in the show archive, you'll find Somewhere In Time going back to November 28, 2009. Apparently you can stream them, but not download them. I'm no longer a member of Streamlink/Coast Insider, but when I was last year, it was the same deal.

If you know what dates to look for, you can find some new Art Bell-hosted shows, like last year's prediction shows. And if you just scroll through random new show listing in the archives, Art's new shows pop up. And they're downloadable.

ringthane

Some random thoughts --

Yes, I too noticed Ian taking over more and more Fridays. Another interesting thing is that there are many pro-Ian and implicit 'George sucks' callers getting in on Ian's shows.

I don't understand the contractual legalities of Art, Premier et al, but maybe there was some sort of 'grace period' where Art was legally bound to have his name attached to the show, or a possible 'no competition' clause?

Maybe Art wanted his name wiped from the franchise from the get-go but couldn't. Maybe current management is really trying to make this George's baby and move on from the past. Maybe there are bigger changes where George is out the door and Ian (or someone else) is being groomed for ascension and what better time to scrub Art's name once and for all when there's another change going on.

What if Art is going to create a new show -- say, on XM/Sirius -- and it would make no sense for C2C to continue using his name (not even mentioning the legality).

I would officially shit my fucking shorts if Art came out of retirement and went satellite. I'd give it a 1% shot, given his age and place in life -- young daughter, young wife, etc. But if they could schedule something with Art at the helm with dedicated weekend people... who knows. Would Art do weekdays, 3 weeks/month? With a producer he trusted? I recall Art did all the production and pre-screening. Never say never. Sirius could offer money that even a 65 yo man with a hot filipino wife would be willing to come out of retirement.

I can dream. If there's a change that kicks Noron to the curb and Ian and Knapp stick around, I'll be thrilled.

ringthane

I'd really like to have someone with radio industry knowledge to pipe in here. Other than giants -- and there are probably only a handful like Limbaugh, Beck and Savage -- there are very, very few folks in the radio industry with job security, let alone dictate contract terms. I can't tell you how many wildly successful 'morning drive' shows I've listened to thru the years where the host/s had off the hook ratings and just mysteriously disappear due to buyouts, management change, etc.

I sense that Art could've controlled more of his destiny than he did, but his popularity outpaced his ability to get his business ducks in a row. I'm guessing Noron signed a contract of a lifetime but one that gives the company lots of escape clauses.

Who owns/runs the show anyway? I don't even know. Premier? Clear Channel?

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: ringthane on December 21, 2010, 04:12:33 AM
What if Art is going to create a new show -- say, on XM/Sirius -- and it would make no sense for C2C to continue using his name (not even mentioning the legality).

I would officially shit my fucking shorts if Art came out of retirement and went satellite. I'd give it a 1% shot, given his age and place in life -- young daughter, young wife, etc. But if they could schedule something with Art at the helm with dedicated weekend people... who knows. Would Art do weekdays, 3 weeks/month? With a producer he trusted? I recall Art did all the production and pre-screening. Never say never. Sirius could offer money that even a 65 yo man with a hot filipino wife would be willing to come out of retirement.

This scenario, and / or either Punnett or Knapp @ M-F would be my personal dream aswell, would even go BACK to satellite radio for Art, as many did for Stern.

Like someone earlier posted, there really can only be 2 reasons to remove Arts name from the site: either he asked, or he's preparing to do his own show... I'm so hoping on the latter.

Noory did say his contract was through 2012... perhaps Ian is being groomed for the "big chair."

I assume it's owned by Premiere, when you sign up for streamlink it has Premiere all over it, as does another Premiere syndication the Jim Rome Show

ringthane

i really, really dig Ian -- he has fringe stuff that's not necessarily paranormal, ie, his show on the history of carnival sideshows, and america's legacy of miscreants/drunkards during post-colonial US. I would think he would need to get a little more paranormal and varied though -- I don't think I've heard Ian host a single UFO show.

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: ringthane on December 21, 2010, 10:06:28 AM
I don't think I've heard Ian host a single UFO show.

He actually did, the guest was dry, a bit too much of the "by the numbers guy" but a somewhat interesting show and Ian did the best he could with him;

"Artist and researcher Bill McDonald talks about the legends of ufology."
http://www.mediafire.com/?hzjwatdauqus4iq

Quote from: ringthane on December 21, 2010, 04:12:33 AM

this is a pleasant thought

coastfan

If Art goes to satellite radio, will he be able keep the iconic opening theme music? It was composed for a 1970s movie soundtrack and   Coast just plays it. It wasn't created especially for the show. And what would an Art Bell show be without Ross Mitchell's bumper announcements? Opening theme "The Chase" and Ross are almost an essential ingredient of the Art Bell Experience.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: coastfan on December 21, 2010, 03:59:17 PM
If Art goes to satellite radio, will he be able keep the iconic opening theme music? It was composed for a 1970s movie soundtrack and   Coast just plays it. It wasn't created especially for the show. And what would an Art Bell show be without Ross Mitchell's bumper announcements? Opening theme "The Chase" and Ross are almost an essential ingredient of the Art Bell Experience.

Art is old.  And finished.

ArtBellFan

Art quit, he has had enough, the last line in Art's message "Long live the hot air" in my opinion is a stab at Noory. Art's G2G show was horrible with all the dumb downed callers and he more then likely said that is it...

I do know that he quit and it had nothing to do with a compromise or anything that Clear Channel wanted or didn't want.

As much as I will miss Art I really don't blame him for not wanting any association with Coast, what an embarrassment it must be to him.

I think his hamcam message says it all loud and clear.

ArtBellFan

Going to miss Art, wishing him luck in all if any future endeavors..

The only thing left now is Geroge Knapp twice a month, hope he stcks around.