• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Azzerae on April 20, 2018, 12:13:38 AM
I've come the conclusion that Art encouraged and recommended both Noory and Heathwr as replacements, simply because he had no idea why he was successful.

Before you assume I'm being critical about Art Bell, let me explain. Art was such a wild success because of how great he was at radio, what he created resonated with so many people. But I think it was almost accidental. He didn't fully recognize or understand his own magic.

His financial success was a byproduct of him making an incredible night time talk show. But it was just him "getting away with" having fun on air, and being paid to do it.

This is why Noory and Heather are so terrible, and why all of his advice to Heather never helped. Because Art didn't understand that you can't just walk into a room, switch on all your equipment and the entire world would listen and call you. It always worked for him. But no one else IS him.

Anyone who is a natural born talent in any field of endeavor is a poor teacher/coach/mentor in that field.  They simply cannot explain how to be good or why they do things the way they do. They also tend to lack patience.  The best at mentoring are those who had to work hard to gain whatever measure of success they achieved.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 20, 2018, 07:49:00 AM
Anyone who is a natural born talent in any field of endeavor is a poor teacher/coach/mentor in that field.  They simply cannot explain how to be good or why they do things the way they do. They also tend to lack patience.  The best at mentoring are those who had to work hard to gain whatever measure of success they achieved.

My sentiments exactly! How eloquently you put that. My waffling pales in comparison.

ItsOver

Just because you were great at radio broadcasting doesn't mean you'll be great at selecting radio broadcasters.  Art rose to the top through competition and by popular selection in the marketplace.  He wasn't "anointed."

Sean92008

Truth.

Ted Williams (a very impatient baseball manager)
Paul McCartney (his instructional video was so awful...)
Art Bell (because she wasn't getting better every day)

Sean92008

I think it is often mentioned but not valued as much...

Art Bell was a fan of everything radio, he operated radios, he repaired radios.
He was a fan of music, his bumper music is incredible and diverse.
He was obviously well-read, it made him one of the best interviewers possible. Better than big network guys like Larry King.

Snoory and Heather are, at the very least, intellectually lazy. At the worst, they're stupid. Their intellect does not have any reflection in their work ethic. It is a matter of what goes on in their head that is so unlikable about them.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: damon on April 20, 2018, 08:18:40 AM
https://pvtimes.com/news/remembering-legendary-talk-show-host-art-bell-in-pahrump/
Is Heather going to go APESHIT for what the local newspaper wrote about art?

Yikes. I wonder if Heather liked Karen, and vice versa?

Taco Bell

No Mitd tribute show tonight...replay of Dr. Michio Kaku

whoozit

Quote from: Taco Bell on April 20, 2018, 08:49:20 AM
No Mitd tribute show tonight...replay of Dr. Michio Kaku
#ThorazineAndStraightJackets

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on April 20, 2018, 05:23:33 AM
Anyone record Noory's show last night?  no way I can stay up til 1 to listen.

The light might be BRIGht at night if you fight for what is right.

Robert

Quote from: Sumthins Goin On on April 19, 2018, 03:03:13 PMIn the video, you can clearly see an inhaler in the lower right corner of the desk, center bottom of the video. Looks like he was already suffering the effects from COPD.
Wasn't it just a few months later that he announced it?  Maybe he'd mentioned it even earlier.

Tricky-D

Quote from: damon on April 20, 2018, 08:18:40 AM
https://pvtimes.com/news/remembering-legendary-talk-show-host-art-bell-in-pahrump/
Is Heather going to go APESHIT for what the local newspaper wrote about art?
If she listened to the C2C AM tribute last night she’s already offed herself.

Tricky-D

Quote from: Azzerae on April 20, 2018, 12:13:38 AM
I've come the conclusion that Art encouraged and recommended both Noory and Heathwr as replacements, simply because he had no idea why he was successful.

Before you assume I'm being critical about Art Bell, let me explain. Art was such a wild success because of how great he was at radio, what he created resonated with so many people. But I think it was almost accidental. He didn't fully recognize or understand his own magic.

His financial success was a byproduct of him making an incredible night time talk show. But it was just him "getting away with" having fun on air, and being paid to do it.

This is why Noory and Heather are so terrible, and why all of his advice to Heather never helped. Because Art didn't understand that you can't just walk into a room, switch on all your equipment and the entire world would listen and call you. It always worked for him. But no one else IS him.

Norry isn’t terrible due to lack of experience or talent like Heather. I rather enjoyed him when he used to sub for Art and for a few years after he took over as full time host I was a regular listener. I think he lost any ambition to work hard to do a good show. He makes big bucks and has a long term contract and C2C has no real competition. The whole thing probably bores the hell out of him by now but he’d be a fool to walk away.  What’s crazy is that C2C started as nationally syndicated program in 1992, Art retired as the full time host in 2003. He took close to a year off when he retired the first time so a little over 10 years. Snoory has been the full time host for 15 years!!

ItsTelly

Quote from: Azzerae on April 20, 2018, 06:59:13 AM
Yeah, if anyone has it, please share it. Its fucking hard to come by any Coast shows nowadays on YouTube or anywhere else.

I can't stay up that late and I'm on the West Coast!  The best options is to become a coast insider, then RSS feed on iTunes.  It will automatically download last nights show in mp3 format.

It also cuts out the enormous amount of advertising of snake oil you have to endure if you listen live.  Each 'hour' is actually only around 41 minutes or so.

Telly

Tricky-D

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 20, 2018, 08:29:51 AM
Truth.

Ted Williams (a very impatient baseball manager)
Paul McCartney (his instructional video was so awful...)
Art Bell (because she wasn't getting better every day)
Bart Starr, QB who won the first two Super Bowls and 3 NFL championships before the Super Bowl existed went on to become one of the worst coaches the Packers ever had.

FallenSeraph

Can anyone give me the Cliff's Notes on why everyone here is so mad at her? She used to be Redacted here right? And I think I remember that she was practically homeless or going through a rough patch at the same time I was a few years back. We had swapped some personal messages about at least being homeless or living in our cars together, unless I'm confusing her with someone else. It's all in my Seraphim27 inbox, and now I'm "Fallen."

In any case, I remember her being much loved here when she was Redacted. What happened? I've never listened to one of her shows. Are they bad or something? Why is Senda accusing her of elder abuse? Did she really move in with Art?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: FallenSeraph on April 20, 2018, 11:46:02 AM
Can anyone give me the Cliff's Notes on why everyone here is so mad at her? She used to be Redacted here right? And I think I remember that she was practically homeless or going through a rough patch at the same time I was a few years back. We had swapped some personal messages about at least being homeless or living in our cars together, unless I'm confusing her with someone else. It's all in my Seraphim27 inbox, and now I'm "Fallen."

In any case, I remember her being much loved here when she was Redacted. What happened? I've never listened to one of her shows. Are they bad or something? Why is Senda accusing her of elder abuse? Did she really move in with Art?

The short answer is that she uses people, is a total narcissist and whack job. She used BG to worm her way into Art's good graces, then ignored the forum altogether. She was very popular here previously because too many people fell for her 'poor me' act. Now they feel played and resentful.

munbeam666

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 19, 2018, 03:05:10 PM
It's like if I said I won't talk to a counselor unless they have followed the Grateful Dead tour, injected heroic doses of Ketamine, engaged in marathon hokey pokey tournaments, and can recite the Jabberwocky from memory. Which I won't.
I loved The Dead....
Jerry was awesome

grano salis

Great description of most theoretical physicists, mathematicians and heads of Departments of Surgery I have ever known.  (Especially the lack of patience part).  the unspoken term A--hole often applies

weeberwubber

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 20, 2018, 11:51:48 AM
The short answer is that she uses people, is a total narcissist and whack job. She used BG to worm her way into Art's good graces, then ignored the forum altogether. She was very popular here previously because too many people fell for her 'poor me' act. Now they feel played and resentful.

Yep, this. And if anyone wants to see how this forum reacts to being used and played there is a 3000+ page thread of Musings we can refer you to.

The bizarre theatre-of-the absurd humour(whether intentional or unintentional) of Art's C2C is often overlooked. Maybe this will help some people out of a dark place.*TRIGGER WARNING* *FULL OF NON PC MATERIAL* *NOT WORKPLACE OR SAFESPACE FRIENDLY* *SEEK PABLUM ELSEWHERE*

FF to 18min if you're not a fan of dark humour to hear Art read his obituary

Quote from: bellNwhistle on April 20, 2018, 08:41:23 AM
Yikes. I wonder if Heather liked Karen, and vice versa?
I always thought of Karen as a radio/business intelligent hard working paid her dues LADY...
(like Ramona was)
on the other hand Heather ...
I always imagined a competition of sorts...
on the other hand not really much of a competition at all...
(like two boxers facing off...but one is handcuffed)

well, that’s just my opinion

Quote from: ItsOver on April 20, 2018, 08:23:20 AM
Just because you were great at radio broadcasting doesn't mean you'll be great at selecting radio broadcasters...

His friends weren't doing him any favors when he brought it up, either.

Quote from: Art Bell on March 23, 2017, 10:30:48 PM
... I will say again that Heather is miles and miles better in the last Year and that is my Professional judgment, it is also the Judgment of many people I respect...

bellNwhistle

Miles better does not equal good.

But then my definition of good is not everyone else’s. Heather may have been his bag, but she was never mine. Just a personal thing.

Genessee KC

Hello Bellgab, long time lurker first time post. RIP Art Bell

ponyboysunset

Quote from: bellNwhistle on April 20, 2018, 01:08:54 PM

Miles better does not equal good.

But then my definition of good is not everyone else’s. Heather may have been his bag, but she was never mine. Just a personal thing.
Just remember the key word here is competent. LOL. And it's not you, you can't just throw someone into broadcasting and expect them to succeed. It's like anything else you have to learn how to do it and even then no guarantees. It's been discussed before she lacks a certain honesty. That pisses a lot of us off and turns us off as listeners. If I even sniff you are fake I'm out. I have better shit to do with my time.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Genessee KC on April 20, 2018, 01:18:40 PM

No better time to join up than now.

Post often.

Quote from: bellNwhistle on April 20, 2018, 01:08:54 PM

Miles better does not equal good...

If she is ''miles better'' does that mean she was lousy at the start?  If so, why was he entertaining her desire to be on the air, and why was he pushing her on us?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Genessee KC on April 20, 2018, 01:18:40 PM
Ok an Archer avatar is just awesome. Welcome and post often!

Wasn't the original idea for her to co-host, which was shot down by his listeners after the pilot show? 

My opinion all along was he planned for her to co-host, do the show on her own quite a bit, and eventually take over with him as an occasional fill in.  At a time when people were suggesting he not work a full schedule in the first place.

I think lings would have gone very differently if he had simply announced that was his plan, instead of springing her on us as co-host out of the blue.