• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

AZZERAE

Quote from: username on April 18, 2018, 04:43:56 PM
I'm glad you understand the formula, not many do what so ever. I wasn't aware you were friends with him, that's one of the coolest guys I've talked to. He's called into the show before from your land. Be careful out there my friend. He's one of the best illustrators around, much respect to both of you great individuals.

He thinks highly of you too!

AppealPlay

I don't know if I'd go that far.  It started out a little rough around the edges but slowly improved.  Each show got better as time went on until Art decided to once again fuck off to play in his ham shack and with his drones.

He did seem more irritable during the Mitd run.  Plus not sure if it was then or his subsequent appearance on one of the Bellgab members’ podcasts that you could tell there was a bit of wheezing in his breathing (COPD issues?).

weeberwubber

Quote from: ge30542 on April 18, 2018, 02:55:29 AM
First time I saw the pic of her on MITD page I thought "that's his daughter".
"Oh no" someone posted "her dad is Chinese".
(Likely story, to throw us off track)

Same as you, I thought it right away. I thought there was a familial resemblance with his first daugher too. https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/421726431077359617/B82lMCBd_400x400.jpeg

But, he does have a type :) He liked Heather right away. The looks could be fitting the type or could be genetics.

albrecht

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 04:48:51 PM
Like your black on black crime, ours is pretty awful. The black South African people save the most brutal abuses of one another solely for one another.

Cutting the throat of whiteness was a deliberately pejorative statement that was drummed up by the media. The part they didn't show you was when he mentioned that black South Africans must hurt white people where it hurts the most: politically. I'm not defending him, he's an asshole...Julius Malema. But he's known for saying outlandish things for coverage.

We are not, and will never be as bad as Zimbabwe was. We are far more civilised a nation than that, and are unified in so many ways, aside from politics itself.
Things can turn. Parts of Rhodesia were also First World Country and it fed much of Africa. Look how Zimbabwe is doing now? Venezuela has the most verified petroleum reserves in the world and even with those are in dire straits. Be safe and check your six.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 18, 2018, 04:42:12 PM
I made a very similar comment when DM was tanking.  I remember comparing Bell in 2013 to Willie Mays in 1973 as he stumbled around the outfield his last year in MLB with the Mets.  In both cases I prefer to remember a great professional in his prime.

Speaking of DM guests, I remember Bell losing it with ufologist Timothy Good.  He sent Good packing early after he made some unsubstantiated, off-the-wall claims.  One was something like he had been told by his second cousin's friend's hairdresser who was told by an MI6 agent the Brits had bugged Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong's London hotel room and got recordings of them talking about aliens on the moon.  Good also claimed Gordon Cooper admitted to piloting an alien craft.  That night really seemed to take the starch out of Bell's sails.  I think he called it quits just a week or so later.

It's a nice comparison to Willie Mays, for a moment I thought you might reference Pete Rose. You are absolutely correct with that assessment, it is best to remember an athlete in their prime.

I'm not sure I recall Timothy Good, thats a funny story about piloting an alien craft. Not exactly any different than what he talked about in the 90s. A combination of circumstances most likely initiated such projection by art.

AZZERAE

Quote from: albrecht on April 18, 2018, 05:22:20 PM
Things can turn. Parts of Rhodesia were also First World Country and it fed much of Africa. Look how Zimbabwe is doing now? Venezuela has the most verified petroleum reserves in the world and even with those are in dire straits. Be safe and check your six.

Gulp. I'm trying to not accept that as a possibility.

But really...its not as bad or as good as the news says it all is. I can just live day by day.

I'm actually trying to move to the US. My significant other is an American citizen. I'm going the long, legal route.

weeberwubber

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 18, 2018, 04:09:55 AM
I used to listen more often, but now can only listen to Jones in small doses, he’s kind of the gateway drug to the more substantive shows in the genre.  That raspy voice and constant hyperactivity, and the fact that when he has guests on he might as well be interviewing himself since he constantly interrupts.  Like others have said, Rense is better, though also is hard to listen to sometimes if for no other reason than how unrelentingly dark the tone of his show is.

What Art had that most if not all of today’s popular radio shows are missing is an open mind.  These days it seems like all radio hosts want to spoon feed you what you are supposed to believe.

Did you ever try that Super Male Vitality stuff? If I drank a bottle of that I'd talk exactly like Alex. Unlistenable. I'd like to listen but the dude stresses me out just trying to keep up.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 05:29:34 PM

But really...its not as bad or as good as the news says it all is. I can just live day by day.

I'm actually trying to move to the US. My significant other is an American citizen. I'm going the long, legal route.

She won't marry you? What gives?

AZZERAE

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 18, 2018, 05:30:50 PM
She won't marry you? What gives?

Haha, I like you, M.D.

albrecht

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 05:29:34 PM

Well, I also hope ZA doesn't turn into a Zimbabwe! Good luck getting a VISA or Greencard on the legal route. If you have the means hiring an immigration lawyer here can help a lot, to make sure paperwork is right, right offices/people contacted, etc. It is a shame that the process only seems to be used by people that would actually help the country and scum can just come over illegally or as a "refugee migrant."

Quote from: weeberwubber on April 18, 2018, 05:30:06 PM
Did you ever try that Super Male Vitality stuff? If I drank a bottle of that I'd talk exactly like Alex. Unlistenable. I'd like to listen but the dude stresses me out just trying to keep up.

No, I don’t need it ;D.  Never bought anything from the legendary water filter merchant.

In fairness to AJ he has his moments, and provided one of the funniest moments of the previous election cycle.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: weeberwubber on April 18, 2018, 05:14:49 PM
Same as you, I thought it right away. I thought there was a familial resemblance with his first daugher too. https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/421726431077359617/B82lMCBd_400x400.jpeg

But, he does have a type :) He liked Heather right away. The looks could be fitting the type or could be genetics.
Holy shit I really think it's his daughter now. Damn.

ItsOver

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 04:42:21 PM
Its hard to be concerned when you have nowhere else to go. Just don't let your people turn America into the same thing. I fear you guys are going down a road that winds up here.
I have a friend from the Ukraine who tells me something similar.  He wasn't too thrilled with the Communists.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 18, 2018, 05:47:18 PM

Me too. As soon as he proposed that theory it seemed likely to me but I'd never considered it before.

chefist

Look at this logically. What woman would let their husband invite another woman (younger) to move in and work from their home? It is a very odd situation...swingers? open marriage? daughter?

ItsOver

Art looks kind of hot in that photo.

AZZERAE

Quote from: albrecht on April 18, 2018, 05:44:40 PM
Well, I also hope ZA doesn't turn into a Zimbabwe! Good luck getting a VISA or Greencard on the legal route. If you have the means hiring an immigration lawyer here can help a lot, to make sure paperwork is right, right offices/people contacted, etc. It is a shame that the process only seems to be used by people that would actually help the country and scum can just come over illegally or as a "refugee migrant."

Thanks, I'll get in touch with an immigration lawyer. I appreciate your suggestion.  :)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: chefist on April 18, 2018, 05:52:56 PM
Look at this logically. What woman would let their husband invite another woman (younger) to move in and work from their home? It is a very odd situation...swingers? open marriage? daughter?

Definitely! Swingers is unlikely given they were raising young kids and Art's health problems. I think we may be on the right track here with the daughter angle.  :)

weeberwubber

Quote from: ItsOver on April 18, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
That could very well be the case.  Definitely an interesting character.  Why not just come out on a broadcast and say that due to his health, especially with COPD, he could no longer do MITD to his level of satisfaction?  He'd been talking about being diagnosed with COPD and most folks would have understood.  No drama. Not everything has to be a radio show.  I guess that just wasn't Art Bell.  Everything had to have some kind of drama associated with whatever he was up to.  He must have been a circus to be married to.  ;) ;D

A lot of people here were trying to tell him not to try to do 5 long shows per week from the start. Or restart. I mean, re-restart.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: chefist on April 18, 2018, 05:52:56 PM

One that was paid well? Good point.

Uncle Duke

Just out of curiosity, if HW's "truth" is that she is Bell's daughter, how will that affect everyone's feelings about her?  About Bell?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 18, 2018, 05:52:43 PM
Me too. As soon as he proposed that theory it seemed likely to me but I'd never considered it before.
It would explain so much. And imagine the backlash if he flat out said hey my daughter is taking over my show. I think it's more reasonable than the swinging, open marriage, side chick theory IMO. And the resemblance is amazing. I am almost completely sold on it. At this point if it's true they should just come out and say it now. It doesn't matter.

chefist

Quote from: username on April 18, 2018, 05:57:50 PM
One that was paid well? Good point.

Hey man! what's up? It really is just a very peculiar arrangement out there in Pahrump...now if Art's wife was his age, that might be different...two elderly folks helping out a struggling young host...but that's not the case...

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 18, 2018, 05:54:39 PM

Definitely! I think we may be on the right track here.  :)
Wow.  And I thought this guy had a big secret.

bellNwhistle

;D
Correct me if I’m wrong, but she said she was half Chinese- and I do believe she said her dad was the one who was Chinese. Is Art Chinese?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 18, 2018, 05:59:24 PM
It would explain so much. And imagine the backlash if he flat out said hey my daughter is taking over my show. I think it's more reasonable than the swinging, open marriage, side chick theory IMO. And the resemblance is amazing. I am almost completely sold on it. At this point if it's true they should just come out and say it now. It doesn't matter.

See, I think the daughter angle is more likely because couples usually don't swing while they're trying to raise small children. That plus Art did have some serious health problems that might interfere with that.

Roswells, Art

You all have lost your goddamn minds.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 18, 2018, 05:59:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, if HW's "truth" is that she is Bell's daughter, how will that affect everyone's feelings about her?  About Bell?

We can go back through Redacted’s posts here. Unless they’re deleted?