• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

albrecht

Quote from: grano salis on April 18, 2018, 02:00:04 PM
As I recall there was some competition for potentially better guests with the Noory C2C entity.
It was claimed that C2C was trying to sink the show, steal guests, blackball guests from C2C if they appeared on MITD, etc. I'm not sure I buy it. The kooky guests on C2C are frequently on many other radio shows, in fact it is sort of like a circuit where guests travel to 'events' and appear on shows- even each other's shows. More likely is guests looked at the numbers and said "is it worth staying up late to 'reach' such few numbers of people?", especially when the show started to be non-Art host.

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 18, 2018, 12:19:45 PM
He made all sorts of odd decisions, the stalker was one of many. Others include: Leo Ashcraft, Amy Martin, getting people to prank call RCH, contemplating HW as co-host. There are probably others.

I've never ever in my life witnessed such a flakey "host" as that Amy Martin character. God, what a flop.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on April 18, 2018, 02:08:12 PM
It was claimed that C2C was trying to sink the show, steal guests, blackball guests from C2C if they appeared on MITD, etc. I'm not sure I buy it.

Your skepticism clearly knows no bounds. Kudos.

Juan

Was Heather the producer who booked those duds? Or was it that Dr. J character who was producer at the beginning of MITD? He had a show on the network and was booking the same guests for his show as he did for Art. He sounded as though he didn’t get much wear on the soles of his loafers.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Juan on April 18, 2018, 02:33:15 PM
Was Heather the producer who booked those duds? Or was it that Dr. J character who was producer at the beginning of MITD? He had a show on the network and was booking the same guests for his show as he did for Art. He sounded as though he didn’t get much wear on the soles of his loafers.

I don’t think Heather took the producer job until September, maybe late August.

You are right about Dr J. Almost all of the guests he booked for Art had just been on his show which had a short run on DMDN.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 02:16:41 PM
I've never ever in my life witnessed such a flakey "host" as that Amy Martin character. God, what a flop.

Stil better than a Clinton presidency or a Heather Wade radio show.

BettyO417

Quote from: ItsOver on April 17, 2018, 08:59:19 PM
I'll bet his atomic clock(s) would bring a nice price, after all his talk about them.  OK, time to chase the circling buzzards away for awhile.

Quote from: ItsOver on April 17, 2018, 08:59:19 PM
I'll bet his atomic clock(s) would bring a nice price, after all his talk about them.  OK, time to chase the circling buzzards away for awhile.

No, no, no, not the clock. As a loyal fan and in the interest of mankind, I claimed dibbs on that atomic clock at least 36 hrs ago along with another vaguely lovable. We decided on joint custody, for the sake of the clock of course.

Let’s hang on to our butts and get rippin, how long before HW & KR put the kibosh on all the streams of Art’s shows...

grano salis

Quote from: albrecht on April 18, 2018, 02:08:12 PM
It was claimed that C2C was trying to sink the show, steal guests, blackball guests from C2C if they appeared on MITD, etc. I'm not sure I buy it. The kooky guests on C2C are frequently on many other radio shows, in fact it is sort of like a circuit where guests travel to 'events' and appear on shows- even each other's shows. More likely is guests looked at the numbers and said "is it worth staying up late to 'reach' such few numbers of people?", especially when the show started to be non-Art host.

Right.  My memory is foggy but I thought that one guest was advertised with Art on Dark Matter and bailed for C2C or claimed that there was a "conflict"--can't remember who.

WOTR

Quote from: grano salis on April 18, 2018, 03:03:31 PM
Right.  My memory is foggy but I thought that one guest was advertised with Art on Dark Matter and bailed for C2C or claimed that there was a "conflict"--can't remember who.
Seem to recall that it was a pair of ladies (sisters?) who said that Coast told them that they would not be allowed on if they appeared on Arts show.  The ladies opted to appear with Art.

I seem to recall Noory or coast saying that they were not strongarming guests to keep them away from Art- just that they would not have a guest a few nights after they appeared on another show and would have to wait an appropriate amount of time.

In the end- who cares?  It made for a great story and cast Noorie and Tommie in their respective roles of villains (albeit, not masterminds... And villains who suck- but villains just the same.)  :)

Rix Gins

Quote from: KMKMKM on April 17, 2018, 10:38:52 PM
I know the tone in this thread has been more on the lighthearted side, but man, this still hurts.  As soon as Art left MITD, I knew and came to terms with the fact that we'd never hear him broadcast live again; but knowing that voice on the other side of the radio all of those nights is no longer on this earth really sucks.  Unfortunately it wasn't a huge surprise when the news of his passing broke, but after years(and years, and years) of entertaining us- I really wish he could've enjoyed a final retirement and flown his drones around Pahrump a little longer.

Those two drone videos aren't that old are they?  In them, Art looks pretty good albeit somewhat 'soft' but not heavily overweight, which leads me to believe that Airyn might have been feeding him fairly correct servings of food.  When you think about it, Art had what, almost three full years since he stopped broadcasting on MITD?  That's not too bad, and we should rejoice in that.  Imagine what a pisser it would have been if he had keeled over within a week or a month of having stopped broadcasting.  Three years may not sound like a lot of time but it's better than nothing.  Time goes by real fast when you get old, believe me, I know.  It's like Andy Rooney said, “I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.”

Catsmile

Quote from: AppealPlay on April 18, 2018, 03:22:20 AM
What the hell was Art thinking having kids at his advanced age?  That part I'll never understand.

# It's my world
# My way or the highway
# Consequences be damned
# Wanna take a ride
# Let dust settle in my wake
# https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissus_(mythology)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GoJQxAxEfU

AZZERAE

Quote from: Juan on April 18, 2018, 02:33:15 PM

That "Dr. J" had THE gayest voice I ever did hear...

AZZERAE

Quote from: albrecht on April 18, 2018, 01:58:04 PM
Boers are stubborn people. I don't what the solution is but the situation is very bad in some areas. And not just for the white folks! And our news doesn't cover it at all. And our politicians, UN agencies, etc won't mention it lest they get tarred with the racism brush. What is even more shameful is that countries in Europe from which they came aren't doing much to help, accept white refugees, or sort of even have the attitude of "well they deserve it due to apartheid." We forget that the US had worse rules not too many decades ago with far less reasons or dangers. I don't know what the solution is but I do credit Rense for keeping the subject alive and informing people when the MSM ignores the humanitarian crisis. What the UK did to Rhodesians was shameful.  It also shows why the 2nd Amendment is so important.

I see you fella's are discussing South African affairs again.

I'm a white South African ... If y'all have any questions, just ask me!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 03:11:36 PM
That "Dr. J" had THE gayest voice I ever did hear...

I thought so too. I just didn't want to say given that I already use the word faggot a lot. ;)

Enter trolls claiming I'm gay in 3, 2, 1...

AZZERAE

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 18, 2018, 03:15:01 PM
I thought so too. I just didn't want to say given that I already use the word faggot a lot. ;)

Enter trolls claiming I'm gay in 3, 2, 1...

One of my favourite words of all time.

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 03:14:37 PM

Are there any South Africans hotter than Charlize Theron?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 18, 2018, 03:18:42 PM

She's South African? I must not have ever heard her speak with her native accent.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 18, 2018, 01:38:22 PM
New guests were no prizes either.  Peter Robbins was off his nut, and the gal who claimed Bigfoot wore clothing taken from her clothes line and ate lemon pie was really bad.  I also remember the young guy who claimed to have come upon a crashed UFO, I think in either Utah or Nevada.  Not only was Bell frustated the kid could he not keep his story straight, but he was pissed the guest was using a cell phone.

Ill be honest, when he returned in 2013 the shows werent memorable. You could tell he wasn't into it. When he came back again online, same thing. The hype is what was fun, the destination not so much. I choose not to remember this version of art in my memory, instead i look back to the golden era instead.

chefist

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 18, 2018, 03:20:25 PM
She's South African? I must not have ever heard her speak with her native accent.

She said in an interview once that she learned English with no accent by watching a lot of TV...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: chefist on April 18, 2018, 03:25:49 PM
She said in an interview once that she learned English with no accent by watching a lot of TV...

Well, great job then because it's kind of hard to miss that accent.

It’s weird how British, Aussie, South African, celebrities from other commonwealth countries can suddenly drop their accent while singing/acting.  It’s a pretty neat talent.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 01:45:44 PM
Are you referring to yourself as talentless - and saying you hate other radio shows that are not your own?

I listen to your show from time to time. I like you. Not that you need a pat on the back, I'm not tryna patronize you at all.

I'm self deprecating, I'm rather harsh on myself. I probably shouldn't Loosely throw around the word hate. I should say I despise most shows, that are in the fringe genre, they aren't very good at all.

Thanks for listening, I try to entertain.

albrecht

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 18, 2018, 03:33:55 PM
It’s weird how British, Aussie, South African, celebrities from other commonwealth countries can suddenly drop their accent while singing/acting.  It’s a pretty neat talent.
They train. Just like actors can put on accents other than their own (sometimes done poorly.) Singers are trained to sing in many languages, even if they don't know the language (so someone could sing an Italian opera without knowing Italian, etc.)

Catsmile

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on April 18, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
http://live1.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com:8303/
Listeners (peak):1995

# When you publicly post it Queef hides it, like last tiem
# Not that it really matters

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: username on April 18, 2018, 03:36:51 PM
I'm self deprecating, I'm rather harsh on myself. I probably shouldn't Loosely throw around the word hate. I should say I despise most shows, that are in the fringe genre, they aren't very good at all.

Thanks for listening, I try to entertain.

I think maybe living in Cali has skewed your view. I think most people these days are consuming almost exclusively alrternative or "fringe" programming and I think that trend is only going to grow.

grano salis

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 03:14:37 PM

Funny, you look gray to me....lol.  Have you ever been to the World of Birds in Capetown--Phillippi, I believe?

AZZERAE

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 18, 2018, 03:18:42 PM

Sure. There are some incredibly gorgeous women here.

AZZERAE

Quote from: grano salis on April 18, 2018, 03:44:41 PM
Funny, you look gray to me....lol.  Have you ever been to the World of Birds in Capetown--Phillippi, I believe?

It doesn't ring a bell, I'm on the east coast...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Azzerae on April 18, 2018, 03:44:43 PM
Sure. There are some incredibly gorgeous women here.

Can I ask what race you are without being considered a racist?

grano salis

Quote from: WOTR on April 18, 2018, 03:07:50 PM
Seem to recall that it was a pair of ladies (sisters?) who said that Coast told them that they would not be allowed on if they appeared on Arts show.  The ladies opted to appear with Art.

I seem to recall Noory or coast saying that they were not strongarming guests to keep them away from Art- just that they would not have a guest a few nights after they appeared on another show and would have to wait an appropriate amount of time.

In the end- who cares?  It made for a great story and cast Noorie and Tommie in their respective roles of villains (albeit, not masterminds... And villains who suck- but villains just the same.)  :)

Thanks-- that is what I recall now too...