• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

anunnaki

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 15, 2018, 09:05:46 AM
She was a close friend of one member of the family anyway. If you think the wife was happy about another woman spending so much time with her husband - and, what's more, moving in to the house - then I don't think much of your grasp of female psychology.

Was Heather living on the Bell Compound?
If so, maybe Art Died like Former NY Gov. Nelson Rockefeller who died while getting a Blow Job from his Secretary- He Literally "Came and He Went"!

DanTSX

Quote from: anunnaki on April 15, 2018, 02:19:31 PM
If so, maybe Art Died like Former NY Gov. Nelson Rockefeller who died while getting a Blow Job from his Secretary- He Literally "Came and He Went"!

Living in the RV

chefist

Quote from: anunnaki on April 15, 2018, 02:19:31 PM

Interesting. I'll have to look that up

Quote from: AppealPlay on April 15, 2018, 02:13:02 PM
I always thought the 'ouija' story didn't exist.  I feel like it was just something Art used to spin up a mystery for his listeners.  Radio is "theater of the mind" after all.

I honestly think that at one point he realized that no matter what happened, he couldn't tell it because it had grown to such legendary proportions that nothing short of Satan showing up in person would seem like a disappointment.

chefist

Quote from: Insomniac Missourian on April 15, 2018, 02:29:31 PM
I honestly think that at one point he realized that no matter what happened, he couldn't tell it because it had grown to such legendary proportions that nothing short of Satan showing up in person would seem like a disappointment.

Yes

anunnaki

Quote from: Horseless Headsman on April 14, 2018, 05:23:58 PM
I started listening to Art in college while working overnights at a bakery. The only good thing about that job was discovering him. I've spent many a night awake and freaked out, whether it was Ghost 2 Ghost, Father Malachi Martin or Bigfoot. To this day I still go to bed listening to U7 or one of the other TuneIn threads. I also own every Cusco album ever recorded because of him.

The man has literally been the soundtrack of my life.

RIP Art.

What is "U7"?

Robert

Quote from: jazmunda on April 15, 2018, 04:39:19 AMI can't imagine they would release them for free. Having said that I can't see them releasing them for money either. Even SIT which you could only access via a paid subscription was only available as a stream so you couldn't download them (unless you know how).
On Joe Frank's death, the estate pulled his reruns off Irwin Chusid's program.  But they sell them.

Shortly after Rich Conaty's death, WFUV stopped his reruns.

Robert

Quote from: Juan on April 15, 2018, 05:43:41 AMSecond, releasing the old shows would cost iHeart money, too, as they would have to be digitized. That means finding a working, appropriate tape player and having at least one employee dub the tape over. That has to occur in real time. If it’s a four hour show, it would take about four hours to digitize.
A/D conversion can be done in a lot less than real time.  I saw some being done 45 yrs. ago.  It wasn't audio, but the converter doesn't care.

ItsOver

Quote from: bobo17 on April 15, 2018, 11:26:36 AM
folks
i talked to art last night and the meeting is back on
i can only afford a few of the dedicated art bell fans but i will be paying for
all expenses when we get to gether
let me no if you want to attend the meeting to get art back out of retirement on on the air.

thanks
bobo
Thanks, Bobo.  I always knew you wouldn't let us down.

P.S. - I hope the work you're doing for JC's big comeback on the world stage is going well, too.

Robert

Quote from: s1alker on April 15, 2018, 06:39:18 AMLong form talk radio is on it's way out I'm afraid. Practically all the hosts are 70+ years old and there does not seem to be any young blood to replace them. I can't imagine who would replace even Noory.
You haven't listened to the young emcees of the other programs on DMDN?

There's plenty of talent out there under 70 doing talk.  However, I'll admit that most of the best talk shows are only 1-2 hrs.  Some of the talkers, short & long, have left WFMU for greener pastures lately, though.

AppealPlay

I just put on the August 1, 1997 edition of C2C and Art opens the show talking about the death of his fax machine and how he was considering digging a hole and burying it in his backyard.

ItsOver

Quote from: Insomniac Missourian on April 15, 2018, 02:29:31 PM
He was THE Master of the Night.

Art's autopsy report has been released.

Art Bell's brain revealed tertiary [third-stage] human-feline syphilis.

He died on the floor playing with a ball of string.

Other symptoms of human-feline syphilis include scratching the furniture, hand-licking & straying in and out of commitments.

Recently, via drone, he had been seen defecating in the large tracts of sand that surrounded his desert dwelling.

In accordance with his will, Art Bell will be buried in a human-sized litter box filled with catnip.

He also also requested that the Stray Cats reunite to sing 'a catella' at his memorial.

Meow in peace, Art.

But I'll be goddamned if I'll eat a can of cat food like many of your fans intend to do.

Robert

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on April 15, 2018, 09:34:05 AMIt seemed reasonable to me that someone in Art's position might just have a whackjob come after him having spent decades talking about fringe topics to an audience that was, in part, made up of whackjobs. The alternatives to that just seemed like contrived woo in comparison. I'd do the interview of course, if pressed,
But you'll have to draw her fire 1st.  Sneak up w a mic while she's reloading.

ItsTelly

I just put on the August 1, 1997 edition of C2C and Art opens the show talking about the death of his fax machine and how he was considering digging a hole and burying it in his backyard.

Do you think we should bury him next to his fax machine?  How close were they?

Telly

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 15, 2018, 03:06:03 PM

Telly

It was such a temporary blip of technology. How long did we have fax machines for before they were rendered obsolete by email? A decade? Maybe a little more. I have a feeling that what he might've been thinking is that future archaeologists might actually be a bit mystified by it. That's my guess, anyway. :)

Yes, I know they still technically exist and sometimes I'll even have occasion to send a fax at my local convenience store.

Robert

Quote from: Norm on April 15, 2018, 12:43:37 PMSo myself being a ham radio operator like Art, I've listened to Art's after show ham radio conservations since the early 90's.
"After show"?!  I always imagined his not being on the air within hours either before or after his b'casts, esp. his weekend ones where he said he had to discontinue narcotics for those weekends.  That guy had some stamina!

Or do you mean he was using c.w.?  (But that too would take some stamina.)

Robert

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 15, 2018, 03:10:53 PMIt was such a temporary blip of technology. How long did we have fax machines for before they were rendered obsolete by email? A decade? Maybe a little more.
A lot more.  1st half of the 19th C.

Morgus

Postings from Heather's facebook:

Morgus

I found this old webcam pic of the Pahrump compound:

Does this show the two houses, one that is the Bell family house and the other the guest house (now Heather's)?
Plus the small broadcast studio there too.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 15, 2018, 03:10:53 PM
It was such a temporary blip of technology. How long did we have fax machines for before they were rendered obsolete by email? A decade? Maybe a little more. I have a feeling that what he might've been thinking is that future archaeologists might actually be a bit mystified by it. That's my guess, anyway. :)

Yes, I know they still technically exist and sometimes I'll even have occasion to send a fax at my local convenience store.
They've been around for quite some time.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fax

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on April 15, 2018, 03:21:04 PM
I found this old webcam pic of the Pahrump compound:

Does this show the two houses, one that is the Bell family house and the other the guest house (now Heather's)?
Plus the small broadcast studio there too.
I wonder if he got rid of his Trans Am.  That would be an interesting celebrity collectible.

DanTSX

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 15, 2018, 03:06:03 PM

Telly

Yes

Bury the dusty, but beloved relics from the past together

At least Art didn’t abandon any young fax machine children

chefist

Quote from: Morgus on April 15, 2018, 03:19:14 PM
Postings from Heather's facebook:

Just waiting for the feux outrage... almost on script...when is the first MITD tribute show? We did 5 hours live yesterday full of complete bumper music, open lines and love devoted to Art's memory...no agenda... just disgusting...imo

DanTSX

Quote from: ItsOver on April 15, 2018, 03:23:27 PM
I wonder if he got rid of his Trans Am.  That would be an interesting celebrity collectible.
Or his geo metro

Wtf is in the giant barn thing with no windows?  I used to think that was the RV parking garage when I didn’t really care about his private home.  But it is clear that the RV is in some sort of open garage instead.

Did art have a Boomer car collection?

CoolTen10

Here's food for thought:

Who would of ever thought Larry King(who interviewed Art once) would outlive Art?

King doesn't exactly look like the picture of health.

whoozit

The BellGab shows should be considered the official tributes.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert on April 15, 2018, 03:18:22 PM
A lot more.  1st half of the 19th C.

I remember seeing them in commercial use from about the mid 80s to the mid to late 90s. That's it. Maybe the technology existed a lot longer but I was talking about their use in society.