• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Avi

In my life away from Coast Gab, I'm a musicology professor, so this thread has been my cup of tea. Here are the artists of the last two concerts I saw:
Esperanza Spalding Grooves

Mallaikka

San Antonio has a unique treasure in the Carver Community Cultural Center, where I saw these amazing performers.

My specialty is ethnomusicology, so I listen to much of what is called "world" music - sort of a catch all for anything outside the mainstream. One of my current favorites is the Idan Raichel Project:

The Idan Raichel Project - She'eriot Shel Ha'Chaim (Scraps o

The Idan Raichel Project - Mi'Ma'Amakim | עידן רייכל- ממעמקים

THE IDAN RAICHEL PROJECT - אמא, אבא וכל השאר

shaggydoo

I like The Smiths a lot but XTC  is way better :)

texaskdog

Quote from: shaggydoo on July 14, 2011, 01:37:06 PM
I like The Smiths a lot but XTC  is way better :)

XTC...best band EVER!  Pavement is awesome too.

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on July 14, 2011, 03:27:16 AM

Ever seen "Hardware"?

Do you mean the 1990 movie with Dylan McDermott?  If so, I have to tell you. I wanted to see that movie and dragged my wife with me... to this day she lets me know how bad it was.

IMDb Video Player: Hardware

onan

I am probably making a leap but if we are going to point to favorite movie/music this is my favorite:

David Bowie Cat People (Putting Out The Fire) Lyrics

Quote from: onan on July 14, 2011, 02:21:20 PM
Do you mean the 1990 movie with Dylan McDermott?  If so, I have to tell you. I wanted to see that movie and dragged my wife with me... to this day she lets me know how bad it was.

haha

I loved that show :P

onan

Quote from: Avi on July 14, 2011, 12:33:00 PM
In my life away from Coast Gab, I'm a musicology professor, so this thread has been my cup of tea.

Sounds like an intriguing career. Do you also play musical instruments?

Avi

Yes, I do. Musicology is like any music degree in that one must declare a principal (and, usually, a secondary) instrument. I am a Voice principal with piano, harp, uillean and Highland pipes, tin whistle, recorder, trumpet, oboe, English Horn and a smattering of others as secondaries (yeah, it's a weird list). Of course, musicology is basically analysis of musical structures, so we always end up teaching Theory & Composition and the Music Appreciation courses (not that I mind).

Unfortunately, academic composition is very trendy, and currently, everyone is striving to become the next "ground-breaking" John Cage or George Crumb. I think the ground of orchestral composition has mostly shifted to the movies (as inspired by Philip Glass as they may be), although many movies don't live up to their soundtracks:

Hans Zimmer - Chevaliers de Sangreal

Clint Mansell - Death is the Road to Awe.

BobGrau

forgive me for saying this Avi, but 'musicology' really sounds like a noorism  :D

Avi

Ha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicology

http://mbe187.music.utexas.edu/Musethno/AboutUs/

Proof that George has been body-snatched: he doesn't seem to have a musical groove.

JustOneFix

Some of you long time Phil Hendrie fans might recognize the intro to the first song-
LARD : generation execute

Tool - Stinkfist

DanDan

Music ad creates lulz.

Can't link because of mobile browsing, but Jay-Z's Dead Presidents II. My pants literally dropped from the weight of excrements exiting my body as a result of undeniable awesomery.

Frys Girl

Some of you are sharing good songs, but do a preview please please. The record companies are not allowing remote viewing LOL i.e. songs are on restricted playback.

The General

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 21, 2011, 06:56:07 AM
Some of you are sharing good songs, but do a preview please please. The record companies are not allowing remote viewing LOL i.e. songs are on restricted playback.

It's a conspiracy!  Get Ed Dames on the phone.

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 21, 2011, 06:56:07 AM

How is this done?  I thought the only options on the Youtube side were embed vs. no embed.  When I posted, I just used the direct "/watch?..." URL's with Coastgab's URL tag.  If there is a preferred method, I'll try it with the next one.