• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

A Note for Clarity:  The first couple of this thread's pages were originally part of the "Art Bell Quits Coast" thread.  When the ABQC thread started moving toward a discussion of music, that discussion was split off into this separate thread.

Quote from: YNOT on April 20, 2011, 06:59:46 AM
It can't be over...
.The Smiths I know it's over
Best..Band..Ever!

Don't get me started on the Smith's, becasue the RealCool Daddio will start to sound like a Justin Bieber fan.  And this is from a guy who thinks's the Stone's Exile on Main St. is the best album ever.

But really - best band ever.

b_dubb

who's the best band?  smithss?  stones?

YNOT

@RealCool Daddio

The Smiths and Morrissey's solo work are awesome.  Sometimes almost too nostalgic for me to listen too.  I could start ranting about the crap the kids listen to these days but... I won't.  I must be getting old.

Quote from: b_dubb on April 25, 2011, 07:29:42 AM
who's the best band?  smithss?  stones?
The Smiths.  No idea what I was rambling about Exile for.  Gotta stop posting when I am effed up...

Quote from: YNOT on April 25, 2011, 08:10:21 AM
@RealCool Daddio

The Smiths and Morrissey's solo work are awesome.  Sometimes almost too nostalgic for me to listen too.  I could start ranting about the crap the kids listen to these days but... I won't.  I must be getting old.
I'm with you (and so is my avatar)!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM
Best..Band..Ever!

Don't get me started on the Smith's, becasue the RealCool Daddio will start to sound like a Justin Bieber fan.  And this is from a guy who thinks's the Stone's Exile on Main St. is the best album ever.

But really - best band ever.

Being born when I was(1975) I was too young to really appreciate the Smiths in their 1984-1987 prime. That coupled with the knee-jerk homophobia of my jejune youth, I was dismissive of them...however as I got older, I began give them more of a chance, and with time that grew into my current belief that they were probably the best band to emerge in the 1980's.

heater

I thought I had sworn off this thread but you found a way to pull me back in with talk of the Smith's and Morrissey.

Dark Side Of The Moon

I'm new here, but to Eddie and Fly, Art looks a tad naked without the mustache! But other than that, I've got no complaints. A quiet, everyday performance by Art would make George Noory sweaty like the ladies in those Sweatten To The Oldies Tapes!

rkowna

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 25, 2011, 02:52:44 PM
       Being born when I was(1975) I was too young to really appreciate the Smiths in their 1984-1987 prime. That coupled with the knee-jerk homophobia of my jejune youth, I was dismissive of them...however as I got older, I began give them more of a chance, and with time that grew into my current belief that they were probably the best band to emerge in the 1980's.

Doesn't matter when you were born, I guess, my daughter is 11 and just dropped "Meat is Murder", "The Queen is Dead", and "Strangeways" on her ipod and she was impressed.

Thinking back it was a best of times, worst of times era for music.  There was new music, U2, REM, to name a few.  Then there was the crowd waiting for "The Who" to reunite and make another albun similar to "Whos Next", alot of people wearing Doors shirts insisting Morrison wasn;t dead, you get the picture.

Then came The Smiths.  From the time I heard "What Difference Does it Make" I was on board.  "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me", "Cemetry Gates" and "There is a Light" are truly classics. 

b_dubb

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on April 25, 2011, 02:21:21 PM
The Smiths.  No idea what I was rambling about Exile for.  Gotta stop posting when I am effed up...
i have to respectfully disagree

Quote from: b_dubb on April 25, 2011, 08:04:33 PM
i have to respectfully disagree
About the Smiths, posting when effed up, or both?

b_dubb

about the Smiths being the best band.  they were a great band.  great talent.  but not the best band.  imho

Quote from: rkowna on April 25, 2011, 07:14:18 PM
Doesn't matter when you were born, I guess, my daughter is 11 and just dropped "Meat is Murder", "The Queen is Dead", and "Strangeways" on her ipod and she was impressed.

Thinking back it was a best of times, worst of times era for music.  There was new music, U2, REM, to name a few.  Then there was the crowd waiting for "The Who" to reunite and make another albun similar to "Whos Next", alot of people wearing Doors shirts insisting Morrison wasn;t dead, you get the picture.

Then came The Smiths.  From the time I heard "What Difference Does it Make" I was on board.  "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me", "Cemetry Gates" and "There is a Light" are truly classics.
The Smiths were the band that moved me out of my metal phase.  I still like good classic metal (and just about all rock and roll) but as you said, it was the best of times, worst of times music wise.  Bon Jovi and other hair metal bands where ruling the airwaves (Twisted Sister, Cinderalla, Ratt, etc.), and after years of listening to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc., I started looking for something new, something ... vital.  I had heard the odd Smiths song, but when I first heard Panic, I was hooked...

Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE

The Smiths were a gateway drug for me - to bands like the Jam, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Teardrop Explodes, Joy Division (oh god, how great were Joy Division?), REM, Big Country, the Waterboys, on and on.

Great to see that so many Smiths fans are Art Bell fans, too.  Must be something about being open minded.

Dark Side Of The Moon

The Smiths, the best band? Yuck, how about Boston, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, or Deep Purple? I'll even give you Joan Jet and the Blackhearts! Oh and Art (the real Art) may make a statement about all of the Anti-Noory feelings through one of the Facebook Sites, or we could have Tokyo Rose's Grand Daughter, or would you believe son, in the vein of Don Adams on Get Smart. Dunno these days.

Quote from: b_dubb on April 25, 2011, 09:15:57 PM
about the Smiths being the best band.  they were a great band.  great talent.  but not the best band.  imho
Hey, not trying to convert you, sounds like you like them, which is cool.  Who would get your vote?

Quote from: Dark Side Of The Moon on April 25, 2011, 09:24:09 PM
The Smiths, the best band? Yuck, how about Boston, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, or Deep Purple? I'll even give you Joan Jet and the Blackhearts!
Not sure how the Smiths get lumped in with that group, but I love's me some Thin Lizzy.

Whack for my (RealCool) Daddio, there's whiskey in the jar-o.

Quote from: rkowna on April 25, 2011, 07:14:18 PM

Funny how that works with kids and your record collection.  My oldest likes the Smiths, second oldest not so much - but he has taken a shine to my Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath discographies.

How many kids for you rkowna?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Dark Side Of The Moon on April 25, 2011, 06:36:33 PM
I'm new here, but to Eddie and Fly, Art looks a tad naked without the mustache!

Welcome aboard. It is strange seeing him without it...

JustOneFix

I know everyone has their preferences, but to say The Smiths/ Morrissey are the best bands ever is really really pushing it.  The only thing worse would be like saying Elvis Costello is good music or Nine Inch Nails is true Industrial.

Metal & Industrial with some Classic & Southern Rock mixed in is where it's at. :)

Usagi

My personal favorite Smiths song:

The Smiths - Girlfriend In A Coma (Official Promo Video)

My husband and I have such widely different tastes in music.  He prefers Industrial (the real deal stuff), metal, etc.  Pete Seeger is my favorite singer... so you can see that there is some clashing.

However, we have a number "middle-ground" groups we can listen to on road trips and with the kid.  80's and 90's stuff mostly.  Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, and definitely The Smiths.

Quote from: Usagi on April 25, 2011, 09:51:55 PM
My personal favorite Smiths song:

The Smiths - Girlfriend In A Coma (Official Promo Video)

My husband and I have such widely different tastes in music.  He prefers Industrial (the real deal stuff), metal, etc.  Pete Seeger is my favorite singer... so you can see that there is some clashing.

However, we have a number "middle-ground" groups we can listen to on road trips and with the kid.  80's and 90's stuff mostly.  Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, and definitely The Smiths.
Same problem in our househould, but with much less common ground.  Although the missus did go to see the Sister's of Mercy with me (we were still dating, guess she was more willing to put up with stuff then  ;) ).  Great show, weird lineup.  First opening act was Gang of Four, and second opening act was Public Enemy.  God, I feel old.

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on April 25, 2011, 05:03:20 PM
This video changed my life.

The Smiths "How Soon Is Now?"
Yep, it was a dandy.  Helped me introduce my metal head friends (musicians all) to Johnny Marr - they all wanted to figure out how he got that sound.

You may want to check out this book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths:_Songs_That_Saved_Your_Life

Usagi

I saw Sisters of Mercy just last year (or was it the year before?).  Anyhow, Andy was looking pretty crusty and just stood there.  His voice was pretty weak, too.  To be fair, he's getting pretty old.  There was also waaaay too much smoke machine action; you couldn't even see him.  However, someone else I know had seen him on the East coast a few months earlier and said he looked and sounded great.  It may have been an off night... I think he just wanted to get back to he tour bus and watch his shows.  Dog the Bounty Hunter, I'll wager.  We all have those days.

Doktor Avalanche was sounding young as ever, though!

Quote from: Usagi on April 25, 2011, 10:10:19 PM
I saw Sisters of Mercy just last year (or was it the year before?). 
I had no idea they were still touring.  The show I was talking about was almost twenty years ago. 

On another note, if things don't work out with the RealSexy Wifey and Mr. Usagi, I'm heading for Seattle.  We can get some Pho, and ...

Usagi

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on April 25, 2011, 10:16:27 PM
I had no idea they were still touring.  The show I was talking about was almost twenty years ago. 

On another note, if things don't work out with the RealSexy Wifey and Mr. Usagi, I'm heading for Seattle.  We can get some Pho, and ...

Like I said before...

I bet RealSexy Wifey and Mr. Usagi enjoy pho, too.  8)

Usagi

Anything filmed in Petra already has a leg up on being cool...

Sisters of Mercy - Dominion

Although, it sounds naked without Mother Russia with it...

Sisters of Mercy, Dominion / Mother Russia