• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

My opinion has changed

Started by TheAntiGeorgie, January 02, 2010, 03:01:37 AM

Well, as I am human, with an imperfect mind, what I thought were my perfect opinions have changed.  I now believe George Noory to be a good host and here's why:

1. He realizes his audience are lay people, and asks the 'average man' questions.  He doesn't appear to be stupid on purpose, he's merely 'bringing it down' for the man (and woman).

2. He knows when to STFU.  It's true.  The fact he never engages in conversation is to make sure the guest has the talk time.  George realizes it's not about him, but the guest.  This technique allows to maximize what the guest has to say.

3. Keeps it interesting - George may respond to the guest by asking an off topic question.  This is merely to deflect the current conversation into a more interesting direction

4. Has a great sense of humor - The 'dumb' things he says are not serious at all.  It's just that people who dislike George are too arrogant to identify that he's just joking.  "Sand Scripts, Evil Babies, Thinking Comets" - these are all part of his 'act'.  To regular people, this is very funny stuff. 'Normal' people get it.

5. An excellent voice and ability to speak clearly - although from time to time, George appears to flub his words, but he does this to bring it down to the street - again, he understands his audience

Well folks, these are my top 5 points why George rules.  There are many more reasons, but I think these speak for themselves.  He's really not a bad guy after all.

- The(anti)Georgie

Quote from: TheAntiGeorgie on January 02, 2010, 03:01:37 AM
Well, as I am human, with an imperfect mind, what I thought were my perfect opinions have changed.  I now believe George Noory to be a good host and here's why:

1. He realizes his audience are lay people, and asks the 'average man' questions.  He doesn't appear to be stupid on purpose, he's merely 'bringing it down' for the man (and woman).

2. He knows when to STFU.  It's true.  The fact he never engages in conversation is to make sure the guest has the talk time.  George realizes it's not about him, but the guest.  This technique allows to maximize what the guest has to say.

3. Keeps it interesting - George may respond to the guest by asking an off topic question.  This is merely to deflect the current conversation into a more interesting direction

4. Has a great sense of humor - The 'dumb' things he says are not serious at all.  It's just that people who dislike George are too arrogant to identify that he's just joking.  "Sand Scripts, Evil Babies, Thinking Comets" - these are all part of his 'act'.  To regular people, this is very funny stuff. 'Normal' people get it.

5. An excellent voice and ability to speak clearly - although from time to time, George appears to flub his words, but he does this to bring it down to the street - again, he understands his audience

Well folks, these are my top 5 points why George rules.  There are many more reasons, but I think these speak for themselves.  He's really not a bad guy after all.

- The(anti)Georgie

Wow, AG, those ARE really good points.  Hmm, I'll have to reconsider my hatred for the guy too.  Well done and happy new year!!!

Quote from: TheAntiGeorgie on January 02, 2010, 03:03:47 AM
Wow, AG, those ARE really good points.  Hmm, I'll have to reconsider my hatred for the guy too.  Well done and happy new year!!!

Thank you. Happy new year as well.

- AG

Curtis Loew

Either I need to quit drinking   or  WTF?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Curtis Loew on January 02, 2010, 04:06:46 AM
Either I need to quit drinking   or  WTF?

It must be the Anti-Anti-Georgie.

Zaqir

When did we enter Crazy land.

1)George has no idea who his audience is anymore.
2)He doesn't know when to STFU, he remains quiet hoping his guest will carry the show.
3)He never keeps it interesting, switching topics randomly to a whole new train of thought while ignoring interesting statements is lazy radio, he lacks any ability to follow up what a guest might say. Sometimes his derailments are questions that the quest quite often has already answered but George simply doesn't listen.
4)George has no sense of humour, he just has no SENSE!
5)He flubs his words because he is incapable of rational human verbal capability.

I know the OP might have been sarcastic but when it comes to George, well, he really is crap lets not kid ourselves.

MV/Liberace!

i haven't used LSD in a few years.  in order to "get" what's happening here, i might need to reconsider that hiatus.

mikemcc

Why is it that Art never had to do this? Because his audience was sharp and engaged. George has largely lost those listeners. Art asked probing, interesting, important (and topical) questions and then held his guests to a real response. Even though George has mostly lost this audience, I don't think members of his current audience would appreciate your characterization that George has to 'dumb things down' for them. 

Then why do we need George in the first place? Why not just have a program that brings in a new guest each night and lets them loose? Again, compare George to Art. Art could carry on a dynamic, on-topic, interesting conversation with just about anyone. One of Art's greatest strengths was that he brought out the best in most of his guests. Keep in mind that most of the guests who come on C2C, while they have a great interest in the topics they are there to discuss, are not professional speakers. In other words, they NEED a good host who will draw them out, who will channel the information they have into something that makes sense to listeners. Too many guests go off on tangents or get into such minutiae of detail that listeners may well become bored. A good host will reign in a guest when that needs to be done. Art did this well. Ian does it maybe too well. George Knapp, as good as he is, needs a bit of work here. George Noory is a disaster in this area. GN lets the guest speak unhindered because he doesn't pay attention and he's just trying to make it to the next break.

He almost never takes the conversation into a more interesting direction. He routinely interrupts interesting material with bland crap like, "Where can people find your book?" or "How did you get interested in this area?" Sure, questions like these make sense, but not when they interrupt extremely interesting stuff that the guest is speaking about. I have heard this happen over and over again.

Whatever you say... I chuckle when George says things like this, but not because it's actually humorous.

I don't care an awful lot about this. I don't mind George's voice. I wouldn't even care if his diction is all messed up as long as he could conduct an interesting interview.

As Zaqir said, perhaps you are being sarcastic in your message. I guess I could see that for items # 1-3 but not so much for #4 and #5. Maybe I'm just missing something here...

Marc.Knight

Quote from: TheAntiGeorgie on January 02, 2010, 03:01:37 AM

- The(anti)Georgie

(To play along) So, A-G, we understand you have a new opinion, but what changed your opinion since you posted this question recently:

Quote from: TheAntiGeorgie on August 15, 2009, 06:01:40 AM
Oh. you vomit when you listen too?  :-X

ninjashoes

My mom listens to noory every night. I just can't really get into him. Its just not the same as Art Bell.

I do give him credit for one thing though. The Graham Hancock interview during the release of his book "Supernatural" was very good. It could be more acredited to Graham but its still one of my favorite Coast to Coast interviews.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ninjashoes on January 04, 2010, 05:28:54 AM
I do give him credit for one thing though. The Graham Hancock interview during the release of his book "Supernatural" was very good. It could be more acredited to Graham but its still one of my favorite Coast to Coast interviews.
what did you like about it?

Zaqir

The Graham Hancock's are not INTERVIEWS, that implies a back and forth form of communication.

There have been a few guys who just talk and talk and can go for 15 minutes on any "NOISE" George Makes.

Those guests are good because they don't need questions asked, they can just go on with a good story.

I remember the Al Beileck interviews, Art has some great ones and they are truly interesting fun stories. The first time George interviewed AL it was a mess. Al could talk and tell his tale by himself but George would chime in and just bring up points at random that made no sense and had no set up. He basically just yanked information from the older Art interviews and would interject things at the worst time that had no place in the tale.

To me, Noory's only gift to the show (as AntiGeorge mentioned) is his tendency to let a guest speak a good 70% of the time. This isn't ALWAYS a good thing, but it's best for George. Also his ability to make a goof of himself is an honorable mention, considering it makes me laugh, at least. My opinion of him is basically the same as always. He can't hold a candle to Art, but I'm not vehemently opposed to him. I just don't think he's particularly right for what I invision C2CAM as ideally being.

Quote from: Marc Knight on January 03, 2010, 11:10:18 AM

(To play along) So, A-G, we understand you have a new opinion, but what changed your opinion since you posted this question recently:

Turns out I was diagnosed with sleep apnea(sp?) where I would stop breathing for 20 seconds or more. Had over 200 episodes of this per night .. has been going on for years, undetected until now.

I got a sleep apnea machine which keeps my airway open and got put on drugs to increase the dopamine levels which have been lost through this condition.

Well I'm feeling fine now.  To test, I turned on C2C the other night and went into a fit rage 15 minutes into the show.  I sent George and TomTom a nasty fast blast and then cried in the corner for an hour or so.

Things are back to normal !