• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory's Belief System

Started by Supernormal, August 03, 2009, 01:20:56 AM

Supernormal

He was raised in the Catholic Church. My guess is that his current belief system is closer to those of Bob Larson and Hal Lindsey. That's why he's so sympathetic to Steve Quayle's crazy theories. What do *you* think?

Quote from: Supernormal on August 03, 2009, 01:20:56 AM
He was raised in the Catholic Church. My guess is that his current belief system is closer to those of Bob Larson and Hal Lindsey. That's why he's so sympathetic to Steve Quayle's crazy theories. What do *you* think?

Now c'mon, SN.   As George himself has said many times... 'you don't know what I think'... 'this show isn't about yelling and arguing'... 'don't believe in coincidences'... 'somethin's gonna happen'... 'I think 2012 is coming, don't you'... 'Lionel Fanthorpe is the greatest storyteller that ever lived'...

Gaaaaa, I gotta start keeping a bucket of cold water next to my computer so I can dunk my head in it as necessary....

Actually, to answer your question, George seems all screwed up.  I think his belief system is he believes he should be a wealthy successful Hollywood personality.  He does not come across as genuine, it's like he studies other people to see what he should say and do.  For example:

- Lack of sense of humor, but tries to tell funny stories that never are, laughs or doesn't laugh at odd times

- Talks about 'helping people', but doesn't really define it (used to bring this up this more often)

- All the stupid stories about himself, mostly seem made up, and make him seem creepy whether true or not.

- Themes he uses over and over.  2012, coincidences, clowns, loving animals, 'something going to happen', 11:11, etc, etc.  It goes beyond schtick, like he is trying to create an identity for himself.

- He seems to need to be the one that is furthest 'out there'.  Maybe part of his schtick as host of C2C.

- It's almost as if deep down he doesn't think he is a likable person, so he creates the persona we see on C2C, and does it badly.   The dead children stories, having a set of questions ready for the guest instead of just having a conversation means he can hide his true self, same thing reading everything rather than just chatting, same thing with the long delays and heavily screened calls....

moop

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 03, 2009, 04:57:44 AM
Actually, to answer your question, George seems all screwed up.  I think his belief system is he believes he should be a wealthy successful Hollywood personality.

That's it exactly! He tries to come off as a celebrity bigshot but anyone who is anyone in entertainment knows he's a nobody and a creepy nobody at that. On the radio he's a bigshot, in real life he's a creepy loser, rejected by those he wants to hangout with.

I remember when George took over and Art supposedly told him to "not try and copy me but do your own thing and take C2C and put your own imprint on it."  So much for that idea...

Supernormal

That was insightful, Paperboy. You presented his psychological quirks quite well, but I still think that I presented an accurate representation of his religious views. I could be wrong. It's simply the vibe that I get when I hear him talk with fundy callers and fundy guests. Like you said, he pretends to be a neutral cipher who never shares his real views on any subject. He claims that would unduly influence the audience, but he seems more like a chameleon than an impartial referee, defending both fundamentalists and New Age devotees, depending on the guest. Reading between the lines, he sounds like he's closer to Jack Van Impe than he is to Ian Punnett, although he seems to believe in universalism. BTW, I noticed that he's trying out new fake laughs (speaking to your point).   

ACE of CLUBS

George has probably been an 'outsider' all his life.  Glib enough to get by superficialy, but never having a deeper relationship of any sort, with anyone.  On air, he comes across as unsure of himself, and also aware that the listeners and guests know that he is unsure of himself.  It would probably be safe to say that George is a 'loner' and can't figure out why. 
In a sense, I feel sorry for George.....beneath all the gaffs, odd pronunciation, etc., is a 'loner' in a job that is way over his head.  No doubt that Tom and George would cruise these webpages, and reading the constant barrage of negitive feedback, both be affected by it to some degree.
  The real losers in this audio mismatch are the listeners,  many of us were AB cheerleaders.....
Wouldn't it be nice if Premiere Radio adressed the backlash against George, and split up the hosting duties, thereby giving George more time to prepare for guests that he had an intrest or cared about?
  We can only hope..........we have been shortchanged in all of this...

Marc.Knight

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on August 04, 2009, 02:46:21 PM
George has probably been an 'outsider' all his life.  Glib enough to get by superficialy, but never having a deeper relationship of any sort, with anyone.  On air, he comes across as unsure of himself, and also aware that the listeners and guests know that he is unsure of himself.  It would probably be safe to say that George is a 'loner' and can't figure out why. 
In a sense, I feel sorry for George.....beneath all the gaffs, odd pronunciation, etc., is a 'loner' in a job that is way over his head.  No doubt that Tom and George would cruise these webpages, and reading the constant barrage of negitive feedback, both be affected by it to some degree.
  The real losers in this audio mismatch are the listeners,  many of us were AB cheerleaders.....
Wouldn't it be nice if Premiere Radio adressed the backlash against George, and split up the hosting duties, thereby giving George more time to prepare for guests that he had an intrest or cared about?

In a stroke of genius, Premiere Radio could allow Nooron to blather away in a studio with a canned audience off the air, and at the same time re-broadcast the old Art Bell show stream to all 500 stations every night.  Nooron would never know the difference, and their ratings would skyrocket.  Just a thought.

Windows:  http://www.shoutcastunlimited.com/castcontrol/playlist.php?id=466&type=asx

iTunes:  http://www.shoutcastunlimited.com/castcontrol/playlist.php?id=466&type=pls

Supernormal

Ace, it's not fair to George or the listeners. It's not fair to him because he likely would enjoy some other kind of show more than the one he hosts, and he sets himself up for caustic comments from critics all over the web. It's not fair to us because we should be able to listen to such a unique show without it being regularly ruined by Nooryisms. I wish the man well, but it's past time that he find some other kind of work.

Supernormal

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on August 04, 2009, 02:46:21 PM

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, we've seen the opposite take place in the case of George Knapp. He's hosted fewer and fewer shows lately, and I fear that he might join Rollye James in the club of great bright hopes. Noory made it a point to mention his contract last week, so chances are that he's there to stay.

MABUSE

Quote from: Supernormal on August 03, 2009, 01:20:56 AM

I have to disagree Super my dear friend.
The Gilded Turd's belief system is, and I genuinely believe this to be true; not one of my elaborate cheap shots; based solely and completely Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). 

The DSM-IV manual states as follows with regard to NPD:
?A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following: [/]
Has a grandiose sense of self-importance
Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love
Believes they are "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, people (or institutions) who are also "special" or of high status
Requires excessive admiration
Has a sense of entitlement
Is interpersonally exploitative
Lacks empathy
Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes?

Now, the game here is to pick 5 to get a positive diagnosis.  (Have fun with THAT one, which of the above is least necessary to include?)

Combine this disorder with his amoral greed and you have the firm foundation upon which the fecal framework is erected, clad in mendacity and mediocrity and glossed over with self-righteousness.  Voila!  You have the tabernacle of  idolatry from whence his belief?s emerge.

That, at any rate is my answer to your query.

**M**

Borr

I often get the since that George is a thinly veiled Christian fundamentalist/apocalypsist with a bizarre New Age streak. IE, he's as incredibly credulous as the masses of ignorant listeners that love him. Ever notice how he can't just say he's just from Lebanese descent, but "Christian Lebanese" descent? He's so up-the-butt right winger that he can't even fully embrace his non-Anglo heritage. He keeps up the "I'm open to all views and opinions" smokescreen to capture as wide a demographic as possible, but he's really there for the "Jesus is comin' in a Star Destroyer to burn all them heathen furr-inners like Obama!" crowd.

Supernormal

Quote from: Borr on August 05, 2009, 06:30:08 PM
I often get the since that George is a thinly veiled Christian fundamentalist/apocalypsist with a bizarre New Age streak. IE, he's as incredibly credulous as the masses of ignorant listeners that love him. He keeps up the "I'm open to all views and opinions" smokescreen to capture as wide a demographic as possible, but he's really there for the "Jesus is comin' in a Star Destroyer.

I agree with the above quote from Borr's post. It's an accurate description of his religious views IMO. It captures Noory's belief system, which combines both Christian and New Age eschatological pop culture. His belief system mixes Hal Lindsey with Shirley MacClaine.

Wcstflyer

Quote from: Borr on August 05, 2009, 06:30:08 PM
I often get the since that George is a thinly veiled Christian fundamentalist/apocalypsist with a bizarre New Age streak. IE, he's as incredibly credulous as the masses of ignorant listeners that love him. Ever notice how he can't just say he's just from Lebanese descent, but "Christian Lebanese" descent? He's so up-the-butt right winger that he can't even fully embrace his non-Anglo heritage. He keeps up the "I'm open to all views and opinions" smokescreen to capture as wide a demographic as possible, but he's really there for the "Jesus is comin' in a Star Destroyer to burn all them heathen furr-inners like Obama!" crowd.

Back in the wonderful halcyon days of the 1990s when Art Bell ran the show C2C was a masterful blend of counterculture and non-conformist fun, radio entertainment first and political/religious agenda driven content second. Slowly, inexorably, the show has taken on a strident religious tone that has eliminated all of its original entertainment elements and replaced it as just another syndicated Christian conservative right-wing talk show. The only incentive for stations to carry C2C is that they don't have to pay for local radio talent between the hours of 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Of course they could always carry Rachel Maddow but that would be blasphemy!

I'm certain one of the reasons George continually reinforces his Lebanese Christian credentials is the immense Jewish power in the media. We can debate that statement ad-infinitum but George is acutely aware that he is a person of Arab decent in a media world dominated by Sol-Cohen-Schwartz Steinberg-baums. That is also why we aren't likely to hear callers who say things like "Gee George.  Former congresswoman Cynthia McKinney's mercy boat to Gaza was intercepted by the Israelis, months after they had bombed a bunch of Palestinian orphanages with white phosphorous. What do you think, huh?"  No, we can look forward to more fun-filled nights of the same right-wing guests like Jerome Corsi, economists who agree with George and the ubiquitous Richard C. Hoagland (who I still hugely enjoy.)   

MABUSE

All of this gives me pause to reflect, and having done so I realize that there is something here I have always taken for granted about the Gilded Turd and have presumed everyone else did as well.  Perhaps I was wrong?
In the dark ages of the long, long ago when I was in college, I was well-connected with a number of Lebanese Christians.  I will say this and I apologize if anyone reading takes umbrage but I state what I know to be true:  They are ALL hyper-conspiracy oriented and their entire life outlook is posited on conspiracy.  They are mostly ultra-right wingnuts of various stripes as well.  I can more sharply focus an answer to Super?s question by drawing a parallel that the Gilded Turd?s belief system is part cultural (as in ?conspiriocracy?) and part cultural religious (think Phalangists, i.e. the Sabra & Shatilla massacres).  I would add this to my previous observation about his Narcissistic Personality Disorder to obtain a more complete and full profile of our favorite ?Serial Shiller?.   

Of course, given what I have stated, his vitriolic anti-Islamic bias makes even more sense since there has been bad blood between the Muslims and Christians in Lebanon since the 1860?s. (and do NOT even presume to start lecturing me about Middle East history and ?biblical hatred? or any of that shit, unless you actual KNOW the history I have NO interest in arguing that point with you so STFU) Witness the ethnic cleansing of the Lebanese Civil War and the behavior of the Phalange (Kataib) and you will start seeing into the Noory mindset.  If you are unaware of what that mindset consists of, read Mein Kampf and you will get a good general idea; from conspiracy theory to ?hidden powers controlling world events? and then add in some Bernays and Goebbels and there you have it.

**M**

EvB

Quote I would add this to my previous observation about his Narcissistic Personality Disorder to obtain a more complete and full profile of our favorite ?Serial Shiller?.   

yep