• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

X-Files, Lone Gunmen, & Whatever (Inspired by Frys Girl)

Started by Marc.Knight, July 11, 2009, 11:29:54 AM

BobGrau

Quote from: M Knight on August 15, 2011, 01:52:11 PM

Is it just me or has tv forever lost its ability to entertain?  Nothing comes close to programs such as the X-Files or the Lone Gunmen.

Breaking Bad.

It's nothing to do with UFO's, but it's the only tv show I've seen in years that completely stuns me every time.

Frys Girl

Quote from: M Knight on August 15, 2011, 01:52:11 PM

Is it just me or has tv forever lost its ability to entertain?  Nothing comes close to programs such as the X-Files or the Lone Gunman.
Dean Haglund was on Coast to Coast AM last night and he mentioned how hard they used to work on the show to make it movie quality. I agree. Those were both great shows.

M Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 15, 2011, 03:06:30 PM
Dean Haglund was on Coast to Coast AM last night and he mentioned how hard they used to work on the show to make it movie quality. I agree. Those were both great shows.

Even "movie quality" isn't the benchmark it used to be. 

Frys Girl

Mr. Knight, I'm sure you know this, but there is another X-Files movie due soon. I can't wait.

Avi

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 15, 2011, 05:45:42 PM
Mr. Knight, I'm sure you know this, but there is another X-Files movie due soon. I can't wait.

If true, I can't wait, either. Last I heard, they had never come to an agreement to make the movie, although the actors said they were willing. Do tell, if that has changed.

I recently re-watched I Want to Believe, and it was better the second time around on the small screen - as many fans said, it was a monster-of-the-week episode, really.

I looked in vain for others shows like X-Files. Fringe started out ok, but then moved into parallel-universe land. Warehouse 13 seemed promising, but now it's cluttered with too much dumb, runway-model eye-candy. My wife would like me to add here that the male lead in this show is sucky. One show we watched and really liked, that does contain a modest paranormal element, is Eli Stone, but it was canceled after 2 years. Of course, Firefly has its brown-coat followers, and is a reasonably good, swashbuckling space opera, though short-lived. We are watching Supernatural, which contains its own mythology and is pretty compelling. Other shows we have watched and enjoyed, although they have nothing to do with X-Files subject matter, are Leverage, Bones and Lie to Me. Of course, we don't actually have a television, but we do have Netflix.

M Knight

What?  Holy crap.  I did not know that. 

Frys Girl

Quote from: M Knight on August 15, 2011, 07:07:11 PM

What?  Holy crap.  I did not know that.
Child please. You did not honestly think that the last flick with Amanda Peet could possibly be the end of X-Files on the big screen, did you? Carter's new movie will be alien/2012 colony oriented. Remember in the last season, Scully went to Africa and found that the Mayan Prophecy for change was not the end, but the date of colonization. I can't wait. Noory take notes.

Morgus

Last night's first hour C2C guest, Dean Haglund ("Langley" of the Lone Gunmen/X-Files) was interesting.
I've seen him before at scifi conventions and he is indeed very knowledgeable and interested in the paranormal/UFO/conspiracy topics.
One time at a convention I saw him playing with the remote control for this model flying saucer that was whizzing around overhead. :D

M Knight

Quote from: Morgus on August 15, 2011, 07:36:34 PM
Last night's first hour C2C guest, Dean Haglund ("Langley" of the Lone Gunmen/X-Files) was interesting.
I've seen him before at scifi conventions and he is indeed very knowledgeable and interested in the paranormal/UFO/conspiracy topics.
One time at a convention I saw him playing with the remote control for this model flying saucer that was whizzing around overhead. :D

That's the kind of innocent authenticity we need more of on C2C. 

Scully

You've just made my day, Frys Girl!

Why did no one think to tell me of this sooner?  I had given up watching sites that might predict such a movie.  Besides, I'm wondering how geriatric Gillian and David are gonna be by the time they get around to it.  ;)

Frys Girl

Quote from: Scully on August 15, 2011, 07:56:44 PM

You've just made my day, Frys Girl!

Why did no one think to tell me of this sooner?  I had given up watching sites that might predict such a movie.  Besides, I'm wondering how geriatric Gillian and David are gonna be by the time they get around to it.  ;)
So glad you're as excited as we are. OK I'm not 100% sure about this, and I don't want to come off all Richard C. Hoaxland about it, but I'm pretty sure they're about to start filming. Carter always said that the alien/2012 chapter had to be dealt with, and he really cares about the fans and his legacy. I think Gillian and Duchovny are also down for it. The money will be good. Sci-Fi does well!

M Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 15, 2011, 08:04:07 PM
So glad you're as excited as we are. OK I'm not 100% sure about this, and I don't want to come off all Richard C. Hoaxland about it, but I'm pretty sure they're about to start filming. Carter always said that the alien/2012 chapter had to be dealt with, and he really cares about the fans and his legacy. I think Gillian and Duchovny are also down for it. The money will be good. Sci-Fi does well!

There is plenty of stuff on the internet about the possibilities of a new movie.  We need a little more Cancer Man action and less about wayward priests wandering around frozen lakes.

Frys Girl

Quote from: M Knight on August 15, 2011, 08:22:49 PM
There is plenty of stuff on the internet about the possibilities of a new movie.  We need a little more Cancer Man action and less about wayward priests wandering around frozen lakes.
Ian Punnett is a huge X-Files fan. In an interview or maybe it was open lines, he said that Cancer Man was based on George Bush Sr..

MV/Liberace!

i have never seen an x-files episode.  years ago, i saw david duchovny on letterman, and he came off as such a condescending, arrogant cunt that i never wanted to look at him again.  am i wrong to feel this way?  should i go ahead and plow through the episodes?

M Knight

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 16, 2011, 09:15:38 AM
i have never seen an x-files episode.  years ago, i saw david duchovny on letterman, and he came off as such a condescending, arrogant cunt that i never wanted to look at him again.  am i wrong to feel this way?  should i go ahead and plow through the episodes?

Yes.

valdez

Quote from: M Knight on August 16, 2011, 09:46:57 AM

Yes.

Yes.

Frys Girl

Yes. Strong yes. Yes times ten to the yes power. Start watching now! If you were in walking distance of me, I'd loan you my box set. It's the best 200 bucks I ever spent. I love the X-Files. It's a smart drama and it is a show that fans will cherish. Nothing will ever compare, sorry to sound dramatic, but it's true. They had such good chemistry, Gillian and David.
David is a douche in real life. He's arrogant, but so what. On the show, he's a much better guy. You'll love it.

Lunger

Yes.  Most of them are quite good. 

Frys Girl

The entire cast was amazing. They just did a great job casting the right people. The supporting cast was great TV. I see some of them on Law and Order from time to time.

Avi

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 16, 2011, 03:02:45 PM
The entire cast was amazing. They just did a great job casting the right people.

Spoiler alert! My eyes must be deceiving me - there are people who haven't seen X-Files!?!

Yeah, but if they make a new movie, they must find a way to resuscitate the Lone Gunmen. If Spock can come back, so should the Lone Gunmen. That was unforgivable, doing them in like that.

Scully

At the risk of cancelling the other "yes" votes here, I will tell you that I have every episode of the X-Files on c.d., plus both movies.  I have never cared so much about a series on t.v.  Chris Carter is brilliant, as are the actors and others involved. You don't have to like Duchovny the actor -- just Mulder, the FBI man.

Scully

Quote from: M Knight on August 15, 2011, 08:22:49 PM

I'm with you, Marc!  "Absolutely," as GNS would say.  ;)

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 15, 2011, 08:25:06 PM
Ian Punnett is a huge X-Files fan. In an interview or maybe it was open lines, he said that Cancer Man was based on George Bush Sr..

No kidding!?  I did not know that!!! Interesting!  :)

HAL 9000

Quote from: Scully on August 17, 2011, 01:27:26 AMAt the risk of cancelling the other "yes" votes here, I will tell you that I have every episode of the X-Files on c.d. ...

On CD? Really? At most, you could only fit 2 episodes per CD. I also have all 201 episodes, but they're on my HD, occupying about 74GB.

Scully

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 17, 2011, 01:51:14 AM
On CD? Really? At most, you could only fit 2 episodes per CD. I also have all 201 episodes, but they're on my HD, occupying about 74GB.

I have a lotta cds.  That's how they came from the people who made them and packaged them up in pretty little boxes.  I can look at them and touch them.  :-* 

P.S. There are 4 episodes on each disc. 

Frys Girl

When you buy the box set, you get a copy of the first X-Files movie AND a poster. You probably have the movie, but poster? Limited Edition. Take that piraters.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 17, 2011, 01:51:14 AM
i wish there were some way to get them from you.  that's a lot of data to move.

Morgus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 17, 2011, 10:56:51 AM
i wish there were some way to get them from you.  that's a lot of data to move.
that would all probably fit on three 25GB Blu-Ray BDR discs.
You can find 10 pack spindles of 25GB BDR's for as low as $10 in some places now, $1 for a 25GB disc.

I just wanted to say..I loved the X-Files episodes with the Lone Gunmen in them. Damn shame their series got cancelled. I'll never forget the big dude headbutting a bull in the ballsack to save the Gunmen.