• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bellgab Valentine Exchange aka shortest lived thread on BG

Started by pyewacket, February 13, 2018, 05:50:58 PM

pyewacket

Bellgab Valentine Exchange

I don't think we've done this before and in the interest of bringing us all together, (at least try to), I thought this might be fun.

When I think of sweetness on Bellgab, one name rises to the top. So here goes.

SV, this one is for you.

To: A charming, sweet tempered, gentleman- that is, when you are not acting like a brass necked yob.

To: Debbie Harry - Thanks for making 1979 so awesome.  Even though I wasn't a Merc in Uganda fighting a
losing battle against a Chimp army while trying to prop up doomed Idi Amin, you made '79 special all the same.

From: WAN - who sincerely regrets dragging your fine self into the hell that is  the Dietrich thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGU_4-5RaxU

ItsOver

Ha, ha, ha!  However, "Eva B," The Pud must be heartbroken.  Good thing he has Laura's floors to mop, to keep his mind off it.

pyewacket

Hahaha, IO. Good thing she keeps him busy- he hates when SV gets all the attention.

Vintage Valentine cards are so weird.

How about a little violent bashing along with mushy sentiments?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pyewacket on February 13, 2018, 05:50:58 PM
Bellgab Valentine Exchange

I don't think we've done this before and in the interest of bringing us all together, (at least try to), I thought this might be fun.

When I think of sweetness on Bellgab, one name rises to the top. So here goes.

SV, this one is for you.

To: A charming, sweet tempered, gentleman- that is, when you are not acting like a brass necked yob.

I'd fuck me. Would you fuck me? I'd so fuck me. :P

pyewacket

Let us send a very special shout out to good old George. After all, he is the reason many of us found our way here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zbq0QFFUk

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pyewacket on February 13, 2018, 07:42:00 PM
Hahaha, IO. Good thing she keeps him busy- he hates when SV gets all the attention.

Vintage Valentine cards are so weird.

How about a little violent bashing along with mushy sentiments?

There was definitely a weird vibe about romance in pop culture back then. I understand that jilted lover murder songs were big then too. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-Ya2zCnaM

pyewacket

Wow, Dr. MDMD- I never heard that one. I wouldn't want to cross that guy.

This old song hints at romantic tragedy. People speculated about the hidden meanings and the song inspired a screenwriter to make a movie based on his interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv33eaygVDQ

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pyewacket on February 13, 2018, 08:27:56 PM

I know! However, this was actually a thing in country and bluegrass music, which comprised the lions share of the top 40 back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii2mUHfD93c

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on February 13, 2018, 08:27:56 PM

This old song hints at romantic tragedy. People speculated about the hidden meanings and the song inspired a screenwriter to make a movie based on his interpretation.

Many other real incidents made into songs covered by lots of people, especially in rural mountain and south folk and bluegrass and blues. "Murder Ballads." Tom Dooley being one of the most famous which was based on true incident and covered by many artists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dula
Now days it is Lifetime movies or 20/20/Dateline specials but "true crime" was always popular in "murder ballads" etc it seems. If you listen to the lyrics you can say WTF? Just as you can with old "classics"- if one made a movie of some of them they would be rated X for the violence, sex, and themes, even some Shakespeare but especially Greek and other old myths and books. Murder, incest, bestiality, torture, etc etc. There is nothing really new.

Jackstar

Did you all know that this holiday was invented in order to encourage sales of flowers?

source: it's fucking true

pyewacket

Februata Day

The Romans dedicated February 14th to Juno, the goddess of child birth and marriage. The women would perform a ritual of putting their names in a box and the men would draw one name. They would be coupled for the duration of the festival. This festival was held to promote marriage and fertility and many couples did go on to marry.

The church rejected the holiday as a pagan festival. They also did not acknowledge Valentine as a saint. One story as it that the priest named Valentine performed secret marriages so that young men did not have to go to war (they did not draft married men at the time). He was arrested by the church and while in prison, Valentine fell in love with a servant girl and they exchanged secret notes signed anonymously to hide their activities.

It may or may not be the source of the Valentine Day customs, but it has turned out to be a lucrative holiday, for sure.  ;)   

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on February 14, 2018, 01:09:54 PM
Februata Day

The Romans dedicated February 14th to Juno, the goddess of child birth and marriage. The women would perform a ritual of putting their names in a box and the men would draw one name. They would be coupled for the duration of the festival. This festival was held to promote marriage and fertility and many couples did go on to marry.

The church rejected the holiday as a pagan festival. They also did not acknowledge Valentine as a saint. One story as it that the priest named Valentine performed secret marriages so that young men did not have to go to war (they did not draft married men at the time). He was arrested by the church and while in prison, Valentine fell in love with a servant girl and they exchanged secret notes signed anonymously to hide their activities.

It may or may not be the source of the Valentine Day customs, but it has turned out to be a lucrative holiday, for sure.  ;)
Roman Catholic church "de-listed," or whatever the official term is, St.Valentine in 1969 due to questions over which individual was the original person. And also there is this associated with the date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpOggnTqMBA

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pyewacket on February 14, 2018, 01:09:54 PM
Februata Day

FESTIVAL! ;D :P

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on February 14, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
Did you all know that this holiday was invented in order to encourage sales of flowers?

source: it's fucking true
Are you giving away a trade secret? 

PaulAtreides

Really, who would want a virtual cheap ass Walgreens valentine from any of you fuckers?

pyewacket

Quote from: PaulAtreides on February 16, 2018, 06:00:24 AM
Really, who would want a virtual cheap ass Walgreens valentine from any of you fuckers?

Awww, did someone get left out this year? We just assumed that your fun loving, cheerful, personality and your well balanced view of your fellow human beings, would cause your mailbox to be stuffed full of "cheap ass Walgreen's valentines".

Be good and next year - it could happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3T_o4WM-n8

paladin1991

Quote from: PaulAtreides on February 16, 2018, 06:00:24 AM

Didn't your mother, your one client, give you a Valentine?