• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Missing Submarine

Started by albrecht, November 21, 2017, 06:22:40 PM

ACE of CLUBS

Any mariners/sub-mariners here .... ?
What is involved when searching for a lost craft like this ?
Are those southern oceans angry at this time of the year ?
Thoughts ?

starrmtn001

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on November 21, 2017, 07:22:02 PM
What is involved when searching for a lost craft like this?
Are those southern oceans angry at this time of the year?
Thoughts ?

Cape Horn is almost within spitting distance of Antarctica, so the seas could be pretty rough.

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 07:20:10 PM
Your avatar reminds me of a poster for the Exorcist, but I don't think it is.

Goodness gracious.......  Heck no!   The Exorcist gives me the eebies

albrecht

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-1700-class_submarine

http://wtvr.com/2017/11/19/missing-navy-sub-tried-contacting-bases/
"Southern Argentina’s Patagonia coast is notorious for strong storms.

“Currently a powerful low pressure system is causing wind gusts in excess of 70 kph (nearly 45 mph) and churning up the South Atlantic Ocean with swells equivalent to a two-story building. This weather will hamper the search efforts for at least the next 48 hours,” CNN Meteorologist Derek Van Dam said."

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2017, 06:22:40 PM
Argentinean sub still missing and now experts are saying oxygen will be running out soon. I hope the situation resolves itself, cue "For Those In Peril On The Sea," and the sailors are rescued or can escape.
http://wqad.com/2017/11/21/argentina-missing-sub-could-be-out-of-oxygen-soon/
Their Navy can't find it and our Navy and others are helping to try to find. I know the ocean is vast but it is still weird how, with all our technology and trillion-dollar defense budgets, we can "lose contact" and not find things like submarines and planes. And what happened to the boat? Accident? Sunk? Defected?

NAVY HYMN (SUBMARINE VERSE)

Lord God, our power ever more,
Whose arm doth reach the ocean floor,
Divine with our men beneath the sea;
Traverse the depths protectively.
O hear us when we pray, and keep
Them safe from peril in the deep.

Lord, guard and guide the men who man
The submatines that guard our land.
Be with them always night and day,
In quiet depths or roaring spray.
O hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea.

Bless those who serve beneath the deep,
Through lonely hours their vigil keep.
May peace their mission ever be!
Protect each one, we ask of Thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray
For their return by night and day.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 07:35:48 PM
I've never seen the movie.  By choice. 
I didn't think it was.  The movie poster pic was kind of creepy.  Your avatar isn't.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on November 21, 2017, 07:38:02 PM
NAVY HYMN (SUBMARINE VERSE)

Lord God, our power ever more,
Whose arm doth reach the ocean floor,
Divine with our men beneath the sea;
Traverse the depths protectively.
O hear us when we pray, and keep
Them safe from peril in the deep.

Lord, guard and guide the men who man
The submatines that guard our land.
Be with them always night and day,
In quiet depths or roaring spray.
O hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea.

Bless those who serve beneath the deep,
Through lonely hours their vigil keep.
May peace their mission ever be!
Protect each one, we ask of Thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray
For their return by night and day.

Thank you, Kid. :-*

starrmtn001

https://youtu.be/ydKReu0oGNk

https://youtu.be/orWilzXxlq0

They don't want help from England or America?  Beginning to sound like The Hunt For Red October.
Hmmm.  Maybe I was right. :o

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 07:38:47 PM
I've never seen the movie.  By choice. 
I didn't think it was.  The movie poster pic was kind of creepy.  Your avatar isn't.

but my original avatar was!

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 07:56:51 PM
but my original avatar was!

Oh yeah.  I forgot about that one. :o   ;D

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 08:02:48 PM
Oh yeah.  I forgot about that one. :o   ;D

Got a lot of negativity with that one.............

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 07:09:01 PM
Hey, 21st.  Who is that guy in your avatar?

Sorry, i got called away from the computer.  My avatar is the the greatest actor of silent movie films, the inimitable Lon Chaney.  One of the greatest actors ever period.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

It's not dissimilar.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 21, 2017, 08:15:44 PM
It's not dissimilar.

Jeez Louise they aren't are they?       

It's not dissimilar.

Scariest horror film ever mainly because most of what happened can happen.

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 08:11:53 PM
Sorry, i got called away from the computer.  My avatar is the greatest actor of silent movie films, the inimitable Lon Chaney.  One of the greatest actors ever period.
He was truly the master of disguise.  Maybe that's why I didn't recognize him, lol. ;D

starrmtn001

It's not dissimilar.

Yes.  That's the poster I was talking about.

starrmtn001

Oh, oh.  I think we just hijacked Albrecht's thread.

Sorry, man. :-[   Let's get back to finding updates on the missing submarine.  Shall we?

Kidnostad3

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on November 21, 2017, 07:22:02 PM
What is involved when searching for a lost craft like this ?
Are those southern oceans angry at this time of the year ?
Thoughts ?

I was in the Submarine Force and had the duty at a Submarine Flotilla Headquarters the night USS Scorpion (SSN589) was declared overdue.  The Scorpion was a nuclear powered Skipjack-class fast attack submarine homeported in Norfolk, Va.  it was in transit returning from a Mediterranean deployment and had missed a scheduled check report which is an encrypted message sent to the operational commander periodically when a sub is in transit. 

A massive search was launched which included submarines, surface ships and P2/3 Orion ASW aircraft along the likely track of the Scorpion which basically ranged from the approaches To the Chesapeake Bay/Hampton Roads to Gibraltar.  The Submarine Force Commander, U.S. Atlantic Fleet (COMSUBLANT) a Vice Admiral (3 stars) embarked in one of the fast attacks participating and directed the search.  I can’t recall if at the time we had a flyaway deep submergance rescue vehicle (DSRV) that could be loaded on an aircraft like a C-5 and be transported anywhere in world as we do now.  (That program might have been iniated as a result of the Scorpion going down).

The Argentine sub is a very capable diesel electric powered ship built by the Germans who have made huge improvements in the state of the art of such craft, most notably in battery capacity and power plant efficiency.  I imagine the Argentines have similar check procedures for their subs, an equivalent to our submarine rescue ships (ASRs) which are small auxiliaries,  and maritime patrol aircraft.  I believe that a U.S. Navy P8 Poseidon has been dedicated to the search and no doubt one of our DSRV’s is in hot standby.

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 08:33:08 PM
He was truly the master of disguise.  Maybe that's why I didn't recognize him, lol. ;D

Kind of has that Jack Nicholson thing going on in this picture.  You know, the mischievous bad boy.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 08:11:53 PM
Sorry, i got called away from the computer.  My avatar is the the greatest actor of silent movie films, the inimitable Lon Chaney.  One of the greatest actors ever period.

I actually knew that.  Scary dude.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 08:42:36 PM
Kind of has that Jack Nicholson thing going on in this picture.  You know, the mischievous bad boy.

I guessed that it was Jr.    Doh!

starrmtn001

Yes!  That's the first thing I thought when I saw it.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 08:30:38 PM
Scariest horror film ever mainly because most of what happened can happen.
And great use of subliminals (or almost so) like the ghost-face that flash(es) (depending on version,) great music and atmosphere. And direction! We used to go to those stairs and on a misty, cool night it was creepy, despite the gas station and development below. I guess DC has designated them historic so will be around for a lot longer. Good. According to Wiki Georgetown charged students $5 to watch the stunt when filming!

starrmtn001

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on November 21, 2017, 08:39:48 PM
I was in the Submarine Force and had the duty at a Submarine Flotilla Headquarters the night USS Scorpion (SSN589) was declared overdue.  The Scorpion was a nuclear powered Skipjack-class fast attack submarine homeported in Norfolk, Va.  it was in transit returning from a Mediterranean deployment and had missed a scheduled check report which is an encrypted message sent to the operational commander periodically when a sub is in ship is transit. 

An extensive search was launched which included submarines, surface ships and P2/3 Orion ASW aircraft along the likely track of the Scorpion which basically ranged from the approaches To the Chesapeake Bay/Hampton Roads to Gibraltar.  The Submarine Force Commander, U.S. Atlantic Fleet (COMSUBLANT) a Vice Admiral (3 stars) embarked in one of the fast attacks participating in the search.  I can’t recall if at the time we had a flyaway deep submergance rescue vehicle (DSRV) that could be loaded on an aircraft like a C-5 and be transported anywhere in world as we do now.  (That program might have been iniated as a result of the Scorpion going down).

The Argentine sub is a very capable diesel-electric powered ship built by the Germans who have made huge improvements in the state of the art of such craft, most notably in battery capacity and power plant efficiency.  I imagine the Argentines have similar check procedures for their subs, an equivalent to our submarine rescue ships (ASRs) which are small auxiliaries,  and maritime patrol aircraft.  I believe that a U.S. Navy P8 Poseidon has been dedicated to the search and no doubt one of our DSRV’s is in hot standby.
In one of the reports (first page), I think it said a battery failure was the cause of the problem.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dr. MD MD

He'd be an awesome Joker.

albrecht

The Old Dark House is a great movie featuring him and Laughton. I always like to watch it around Halloween and sort of started a genre. It was a "lost film" that was, thankfully, found and saved.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on November 21, 2017, 08:39:48 PM
I was in the Submarine Force and had the duty at a Submarine Flotilla Headquarters the night USS Scorpion (SSN589) was declared overdue.  The Scorpion was a nuclear powered Skipjack-class fast attack submarine homeported in Norfolk, Va.  it was in transit returning from a Mediterranean deployment and had missed a scheduled check report which is an encrypted message sent to the operational commander periodically when a sub is in ship is transit. 

An extensive search was launched which included submarines, surface ships and P2/3 Orion ASW aircraft along the likely track of the Scorpion which basically ranged from the approaches To the Chesapeake Bay/Hampton Roads to Gibraltar.  The Submarine Force Commander, U.S. Atlantic Fleet (COMSUBLANT) a Vice Admiral (3 stars) embarked in one of the fast attacks participating in the search.  I can’t recall if at the time we had a flyaway deep submergance rescue vehicle (DSRV) that could be loaded on an aircraft like a C-5 and be transported anywhere in world as we do now.  (That program might have been iniated as a result of the Scorpion going down).

The Argentine sub is a very capable diesel electric powered ship built by the Germans who have made huge improvements in the state of the art of such craft, most notably in battery capacity and power plant efficiency.  I imagine the Argentines have similar check procedures for their subs, an equivalent to our submarine rescue ships (ASRs) which are small auxiliaries,  and maritime patrol aircraft.  I believe that a U.S. Navy P8 Poseidon has been dedicated to the search and no doubt one of our DSRV’s is in hot standby.
yep
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2017/11/21/air-force-navy-send-more-equipment-to-search-for-missing-argentine-submarine/

starrmtn001

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2017, 08:49:24 PM
The Old Dark House is a great movie featuring him and Laughton. I always like to watch it around Halloween and sort of started a genre. It was a "lost film" that was, thankfully, found and saved.

https://youtu.be/Ge4fj6UnG3g