• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

BEST X-FILES EPISODE FOR HALLOWEEN

Started by Swishypants, October 31, 2017, 06:49:50 AM

Swishypants

I say: SEASON 5, EPISODE 5

The Post-Modern Prometheus

Hands down the very best one.

Art Bell & The X-Files at their peak in 1997.

Swishypants

Season 1: Ok, showed promise.
Season 2: Much better!
Season 3: BADASS!
Season 4: BADASS!
Season 5: Not as consistent but with some of the best episodes of the franchise.
Season 6: Going down hill, but some good episodes never-the-less.
Season 7: Sucked, quit watching.
Season 8: ???
Season 9: ???
The Lone Gunmen: AWESOME! Cancelled too soon.
Season 10: 1/3rd of the 6 episodes were good.
Season 11: ???

ItsOver

One of the episodes I favor.  Second season.

"Series creator Chris Carter claimed to have been inspired to write the episode based on three incidents; his dog having worms, his readings about Chernobyl, and the extinction of species during the 1990s."

Indeed, good times, although this episode was a harbinger of bad things to come.

Note the similarities of the creatures.

Swishypants

I'm surprised more talk about X-Files doesn't happen here. The TV show was basically inspired by Arts radio show. They both became big hits about the same time and followed an almost parallel arc. The 90's were Art Bell and the X-Files in a pop-culture sense. Then, the human tape worm killed both franchises. Yes.

TigerLily

The one at the freak show, "Humbug"

He points at Mulder, casually striking a pose in the distance. “Imagine going through your whole life looking like that,” huffs Doctor Blockhead. Then he drives off, leaving two of the world’s most attractive people to their chosen work: the study of mutants, aliens, and every humbug that might not be humbug after all.

"I've seen the future and it looks like that" - Scully

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Swishypants on October 31, 2017, 09:01:37 AM
I'm surprised more talk about X-Files doesn't happen here. The TV show was basically inspired by Arts radio show. They both became big hits about the same time and followed an almost parallel arc. The 90's were Art Bell and the X-Files in a pop-culture sense. Then, the human tape worm killed both franchises. Yes.

The show was great but it peaked, the stars got bored and wanted to do other things and the movies were pretty horrible. It happens.

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 31, 2017, 09:04:09 AM
The show was great but it peaked, the stars got bored and wanted to do other things and the movies were pretty horrible. It happens.

Carter blamed Duchovny for the show going down hill, and later the viewers themselves, but it was Carter. He ran dry. Duchovny's episodes were funny as hell, but retained a spooky charm. I enjoyed all of them.

Dr. MD MD

One of the freakiest, most haunting episodes to me is Field Trip from season 6.

Swishypants

Cranston was outstanding in that episode. Of course most X-Files episodes were stupid! It's escapism. So were Arts shows. You don't really believe in that shit do you? It's ENTERTAINMENT. All of it has a child-like quality and that's it's draw.

For me, the episode that perfectly reflects, parodies, and yet honors the Art Bell times, is Season 3, Ep. 20:  "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'".

"Still, as a storyteller, I'm fascinated by how a person's sense of consciousness can be so transformed by nothing more magical than listening to words...mere words."

One for the ages; not just for Halloween.

(I agree about "Humbug".  Creepy and funny)

Swishypants

Quote from: Étouffée on October 31, 2017, 09:54:50 AM
For me, the episode that perfectly reflects, parodies, and yet honors the Art Bell times, is Season 3, Ep. 20:  "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'".

"Still, as a storyteller, I'm fascinated by how a person's sense of consciousness can be so transformed by nothing more magical than listening to words...mere words."

One for the ages; not just for Halloween.

(I agree about "Humbug".  Creepy and funny)

That is my No. 2 and it waffles to No. 1 occasionally. I remember the night that one aired. Frat-house full of brothers takin' bong hits and smashing beer cans on their foreheads. The chicks wanted to go to the party but we told them to go fuck each other and we'd be there later. Great episode. Then we went to a bar and watched a metal band play and hooked up with totally different chicks. What a great night! :)

https://youtu.be/g5GEe43smrU

paladin1991

Quote from: Swishypants on October 31, 2017, 09:01:37 AM

Seems that 'Millennium' ties in as well.

Swishypants

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 31, 2017, 10:10:34 AM
Seems that 'Millennium' ties in as well.

I don't believe I ever saw that one Paladin.

TigerLily

Quote from: Swishypants on October 31, 2017, 10:13:46 AM
I don't believe I ever saw that one Paladin.

It was a short-lived series. Very good. Died too soon

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on October 31, 2017, 10:24:28 AM

Meh...it never grabbed me. I like a show to grab me by the pussy.  ;)

Swishypants

Quote from: TigerLily on October 31, 2017, 10:24:28 AM

I'll seek it out then. I really enjoyed the LONE GUNMEN but society was tired of the genera, and a war was brewing up. It's too bad. It was everything good about the X-Files only funnier. 

Swishypants

No matter what media form it is, 5 to 6 years is the maximum run. After that people either get tired of it or the writers run out of material to cover. That's why they used to sign bands to 5 album deals. They knew that was probably going to be it and if they were the rare exception, a 3 album rider contract was offered of which they only expected one more hit before diminishing returns rode out the last two.

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 31, 2017, 10:28:27 AM
Did you mean genre, idiot?  :D

Right there. A typo. I was being cool in this thread, but you have to come in and screw it up! I'm going to dog your ass now. LOOK HERE PEOPLE! MD is the primary source of discord on this forum.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Swishypants on October 31, 2017, 10:30:05 AM
Right there. A typo. I was being cool in this thread, but you have to come in and screw it up! I'm going to dog your ass now. LOOK HERE PEOPLE! MD is the primary source of discord on this forum.

I just like to poke holes in your backstory. Surely, someone as worldly and knowledgable as you would've had occasion to use that word before.  :D

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 31, 2017, 10:36:16 AM
I just like to poke holes in your backstory. Surely, someone as worldly and knowledgable as you would've had occasion to use that word before.  :D

I type fast. I fat-finger things on occasion. I've been online since 1988.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Swishypants on October 31, 2017, 10:41:33 AM
I type fast. I fat-finger things on occasion. I've been online since 1988.

That wasn't a finger slip.  :D

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 31, 2017, 10:49:53 AM
That wasn't a finger slip.  :D

Listen here man. I'm going to take this to another thread with you because this is supposed to be fun for Halloween. I told you when I first came here I was going to change things, and that starts with you. See ya outside Hoss.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Swishypants on October 31, 2017, 10:53:06 AM
Listen here man. I'm going to take this to another thread with you because this is supposed to be fun for Halloween. I told you when I first came here I was going to change things, and that starts with you. See ya outside Hoss.

Oh yeah! You're clearly all about the fun.  ;D

P.S. I thought I heard your mom calling you too.  ;)

Swishypants

MD fucked the thread, again. Here's a movie for anyone who passes by. I apologize on behalf of MD. He's just not a very nice person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WEBwFpULg

Dr. MD MD

Yeah, everyone, I'm sorry that I ruined this sociopathic fuckwad's thread. Hopefully, one day, it will get back on track.  :D

paladin1991

Quote from: Swishypants on October 31, 2017, 10:25:33 AM
I'll seek it out then. I really enjoyed the LONE GUNMEN but society was tired of the genera, and a war was brewing up. It's too bad. It was everything good about the X-Files only funnier.

I have to agree.  To me it was the D Team called in to handle shit and somehow, someway, they muddle through.