• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on April 28, 2018, 02:16:37 AM
By the way, I have food.  It's not flowing the way I prefer, but there is food.  I'm just a bit frustrated over convenience foods.

I'm not following you. You're going to have to elaborate.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 02:24:21 AM
I'm not following you. You're going to have to elaborate.
You're not following me?  Oh alas.  I mean at last.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on April 28, 2018, 02:34:45 AM
You're not following me?  Oh alas.  I mean at last.

You're being obtuse when you should be acute. ::)

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 02:38:15 AM
You're being obtuse when you should be acute. ::)
I am a cute!  In certain light and angles especially....  And sexy too!

I woke up feeling a little thinner, in a weird area, but that's fine.  I had done some lower ab isometrics and all that walking.  But the cake binge and last week's 3/4 pint are bound to bit back soon.

I had dreams abojt tossing ice cream down the toilet.  I wish they would sell 2/3 pints as the standard.  Did you know you can fit a whole pint of ice cream into a 20oz latte cup!  Hard to believe, but the pint bottom has a false rim so there is less than appears.

It was really nice to have cake. It had been so long, and the price was marked down while it was plenty fresh.  It wasnt one of my preferred flavors, and neither was the frosting, but it totally hit the spot and just melted on my tongue!

What is it about refined flour that seems to help in the loo?  I mean whole grains are nice, but when I eat white (rice) flour, like occasional pancakes, bread, or pastries, the loo activity just seems so much more bulked up.  Does anyone know why?  Maybe it's the gluten (rice, corn, etc...).  I was raised not to eat white flour, but when I see the benefit, it's intuitive that a little helps.  Sorry if this is too Akwilly threadlike.

ShayP

Quote from: Jojo on April 28, 2018, 01:42:08 PM
I am a cute!  In certain light and angles especially....  And sexy too! 

What is it about refined flour that seems to help in the loo?  I mean whole grains are nice, but when I eat white (rice) flour, like occasional pancakes, bread, or pastries, the loo activity just seems so much more bulked up.  Does anyone know why?  Maybe it's the gluten (rice, corn, etc...).  I was raised not to eat white flour, but when I see the benefit, it's intuitive that a little helps.  Sorry if this is too Akwilly threadlike.

A tasty serving of great northern white beans simmered in fatback and onion over a slice of white bread with cornbread crumbled into a tall glass of sweet milk for dessert gets things moving nicely

Jojo

Quote from: sumthinz going on on April 30, 2018, 04:22:42 AM
A tasty serving of great northern white beans simmered in fatback and onion over a slice of white bread with cornbread crumbled into a tall glass of sweet milk for dessert gets things moving nicely
Actually sounds pretty good, although what area of the country would that be from!

Jojo

Remember when you were a kid and got new shoes but didn't want anyone to notice?  Does anyone feel that way about weight loss?

Today was mixed.  I destroyed a package of gluten free cookie mix, although I saved the chocolate chips, flax seed, baking soda and chocolate powder.  But i got the processed flour and white sugar out of my area.

The day went well until I saw someone had cooked incredible Chinese dinner.  It was almkst all veggies and brown rice... But I ate TOO much.

Today I did three sets of ten minute aerobics.  I've upped my exercise lately.  I've become convinced it is a cardiac protector, even if weight loss doesn't follow.

My doctor said even if I'm really good, weight might not change.  Of course, I already have experienced that.  But hearing her say it upset me, panicked me, and I want to prove her wrong.

Quote from: Jojo on May 01, 2018, 03:18:09 AM
Actually sounds pretty good, although what area of the country would that be from!

"although"...I doubt it's what you intended, but it sounds like you might be open to giving it a go but are afraid you shouldn't because it may be impolitic to do so, for whatever reason. As far as I know white beans and cornbread are not prohibited to people in the Northwest lol.

Do pushups instead of dessert for healthier results

Quote from: Jojo on May 01, 2018, 03:26:28 AM
Remember when you were a kid and got new shoes but didn't want anyone to notice?  Does anyone feel that way about weight loss?

Today was mixed.  I destroyed a package of gluten free cookie mix, although I saved the chocolate chips, flax seed, baking soda and chocolate powder.  But i got the processed flour and white sugar out of my area.

The day went well until I saw someone had cooked incredible Chinese dinner.  It was almkst all veggies and brown rice... But I ate TOO much.

Today I did three sets of ten minute aerobics.  I've upped my exercise lately.  I've become convinced it is a cardiac protector, even if weight loss doesn't follow.

My doctor said even if I'm really good, weight might not change.  Of course, I already have experienced that.  But hearing her say it upset me, panicked me, and I want to prove her wrong.

Good for you increasing your exercise in reasonable proportion!

Take it for whatever it's worth to you, but I try to focus on healthy living and not so much on weight and that seems to work

Jojo

Quote from: sumthinz going on on May 01, 2018, 04:58:00 AM
Good for you increasing your exercise in reasonable proportion!

Take it for whatever it's worth to you, but I try to focus on healthy living and not so much on weight and that seems to work
Thanks for the reminder.  I love it.

In my 20s and 30s, the health perspective seemed acceptable.

In my late 40s and 50s, the health perspective becomes more urgent.  Like, in February, I really reduced my walkercise to almost nothing, for the first time in decades.  Because my calves got too muscular down above the ankles.

So I dropped my program.  (I still did physical therapy and chiro stretches though).  During the first two months, my calves slimmed down which was great.  My weight did not seem to be affected.  For a while...

THEN in the third month, damage from not aerobic exercising started.  My weight started to go up.  I got winded easily, and actually walking at times became work, not normal.  My appetite was uncontrollable.  My legs were getting restless during sleeptime.

My blood pressure went way too high, causing nasal hemmoraging. 
I had to start blood pressure pills.  That's when I decided to put my walking program (or step aerobics) back into my routines.  I am sure that walking is what had been keeping me okay, because I already had untreated high blood pressure a long time.  Also I think walking is what allowed my heart and veins to survive the hypertensive crisis without any official secondary damage (stroke, heart attack.

After medicine lowered my blood pressure recently, some "menopause" symptoms actually vanished, leaving me quite rejuvenated...  Gee, if they'd have told me that a year ago, I would have started the pills right away!  But, women's vigor doesn't seem important to Big Pharma.  They could sell a lot more blood pressure pills if they expounded on these benefits, though.  Hmmm...

I've been working with old folks.  The survivors are thin.  The fat ones are constantly in the hospital.  This motivates me a lot too.  Do I want to be calling an aid car to take me to hospital all the time, or do I want to have hobbies and interests in the comfort of my own dwelling?!

But being thin is not necessarily a guarantee of better health.  I know a thin, muscular, non-smoking man in his fifties who had a heart attack and long recovery -from eating trans fats!  But, he made a full recovery, and he was a very busy,  hard-working carpenter/builder, which I'm sure involves aerobic work all through the day.

And "Gramma" here is obese, smokes drinks, takes her meds, and is thriving at 83.  On her knees in the garden every other day, carrying heavy hoses too.  (She won't use the lightweight fabric one i gave her!).  She does aerobic yardwork constantly.

Like you and some new bloggers, I agree the pressure to be thin is misguided a s well as exploited for profit-making.  But, I have truly wanted with urgency, to get this weight loss done and to maintain it.

To my amazement, I have found that that feeling a few ounces lighter in the mornings really motivates me, stops me in my tracks from overeating.  I have to stop in my tracks many times a day, in order to just get that one feeling.  But, that one feeling can last for hours!

I need to lose weight.  It's really important.

Does anyone else feel awkward and unhappy when their significant other kind of lights up at her weight loss, though?  Am I the only one?

Jojo

Boy, I am glad I did not accept chocolate bars at the food bank.  I would have eaten a LOT of it, and right about now I would have been full of frustration. Instead, I just said no thanks.  And ate salad, meat, corn, a few nuts, and then yogurt with banana.  Has anyone else noticed how super sweet those mini bananas are?  And, there is something perfumed about them too.  They are small but powerful!

The food bank staff said less and less people are coming in!  That's great news.  I too was there less during tax season.  People get tax refunds, or temp jobs... A good season.

Bringing a monthly trip's food in is work.  I guess it's exercise.  My arms are tired.  I don't have reliable freezer space, but I turned up the temp in the mini fridge.  That will help.  The rest of this month's food plans are squared away so it is a good month to eat healthy and not stress out about food!!!!

Jojo

I've been exercising more.  I was injured when a lady in her 90s hit my vehicle in 2013.  Insurance covered some medical care, but not enough.  After being cut off, my pain returned in three months, and interferes a lot.  But, each year in the last four and a half has shown improvement.  I do chiropractic stretches and physical therapy exercises almost daily.  Most of my pain goes away if I don't carry or push/pull hard, and the less I strain, the stronger I get.

The injuries cause stiffness and affect what time of day I exercise.  Motion range is improving, though, very slowly over the years. Today, I was able to exercise in the morning, and yesterday too.  And two months in a row, I got through the food bank without needing reasonable accommodation.

Good start to a day.  I know we all get old, but I don't want to be all hunched over!!

The muscles below my neck on the front are very uneven. Instead of a flat surface, the outside near my upper pectorals looks raised up (probably from strain), and also the area just below the hollow in my throat is raised up.  So, the areas inbetween look lower and weird.  I don't know what kind of stretches to do to smooth things out.  But stretches must be needed, because when the insides of my my upper arms start looking riddled with raised up rings of muscle/tissue, stretching fixes that look in just a few days.

Fitness is different over 45...  But it's been a good morning.

The stroke victim here ran out of marijuana (I guess) and has been raging somewhat.  So, I'm a little unsure about using the kitchen to make healthy food today.  But her moods change fast.  It could be fine.  Hopefully her mom will be home soon.  I'm not using transportation resources to go anywhere until my UI claim is straightened out.  My new employer sounded like she might re-instate some of the hours I am losing while they (oh-so-passively) wait for a pre-employment medical test results, so that sounds possibly promising.

Quote from: Jojo on May 01, 2018, 01:41:05 PM
Does anyone else feel awkward and unhappy when their significant other kind of lights up at her weight loss, though?  Am I the only one?

I would assume your significant other was trying to be encouraging and supportive for you. Do you have reason to think otherwise?

Jojo

I was able to eat healthy in my room on this day off.  The stroke victim calmed down, but the kitchen was not available.  I turned my fridge up and it is keeping some meat frozen.  And the lettuce is portionalized in plastic containers, and wrapped in fabric on the lowest shelf to prevent freezing.

I watched a lot of You Tubes about physical therapy exercises.  And exercised a lot today.

Now is the difficult time of day, PM grazing.  At the moment, I'm full from dinner.  I'd like to get some rooibos tea, which supposedly helps.

I exercise my cat, too.  She of course walks toward the door to home, so i carry her to the farthest point and then she walks to the door (usually on a harness with me).  In the small area, we do it 9-11 times.  In the large yard, we do it 3-5 times.  It's good for me to carry her weight while walking out, and to  end over to set her on a low chair or the grass.  And then to bend over and pick her up again when she gets to the door.  She enjoys it, and basically stops when she needs a break or has had enough.  It's a great part of my day.  I try to do it twice a day, but sometimes it's only once.  And sometimes she will only do it every other day.  Sometimes she just goes out there, but just wants to stand around.  I've had her 15 years, and it is great luck to have some extra time with her in her senior years.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jojo on May 02, 2018, 11:33:29 PM
I was able to eat healthy in my room on this day off.  The stroke victim calmed down, but the kitchen was not available.  I turned my fridge up and it is keeping some meat frozen.  And the lettuce is portionalized in plastic containers, and wrapped in fabric on the lowest shelf to prevent freezing.

I watched a lot of You Tubes about physical therapy exercises.  And exercised a lot today.

Now is the difficult time of day, PM grazing.  At the moment, I'm full from dinner.  I'd like to get some rooibos tea, which supposedly helps.

I exercise my cat, too.  She of course walks toward the door to home, so i carry her to the farthest point and then she walks to the door (usually on a harness with me).  In the small area, we do it 9-11 times.  In the large yard, we do it 3-5 times.  It's good for me to carry her weight while walking out, and to  end over to set her on a low chair or the grass.  And then to bend over and pick her up again when she gets to the door.  She enjoys it, and basically stops when she needs a break or has had enough.  It's a great part of my day.  I try to do it twice a day, but sometimes it's only once.  And sometimes she will only do it every other day.  Sometimes she just goes out there, but just wants to stand around.  I've had her 15 years, and it is great luck to have some extra time with her in her senior years.

I love exercising carts.  Cat tossing.  That's a good one.  Then there is the UFO game.  It's like cat tossing only you throw them with a bit of a spin.  The cats throw out their little legs and look like a 4 winged flying craft.  The faster the spin, the more they look like a ufo.  You know you are doing it right when you can hear their little cries of joy.

GravitySucks

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 04, 2018, 02:35:27 AM

I love exercising carts.  Cat tossing.  That's a good one.  Then there is the UFO game.  It's like cat tossing only you throw them with a bit of a spin.  The cats throw out their little legs and look like a 4 winged flying craft.  The faster the spin, the more they look like a ufo.  You know you are doing it right when you can hear their little cries of joy.

Down here in the land of roadside flattened fauna, we play flat cat frisbee. If you beat the turkey buzzards.

Always use proper protective eyewear when flinging your cat

pate

Top, eye thank yore mussing the punt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1uKypWnGQ

Not Sure...

Jojo

I might have to eat her!  Everything else is too high in salt.  I like salt.  I strive to get the USRDA.  But this week, things are too much like a salt haven.  Can't stand it.  Smoked fish, sliced deli meat, more sliced deli meat, Miso, amino acid juice, way salty nuts and even one mug of simple Campbell's chicken broth has over 80% of the daily recommended amount of salt.

I'd love to have some more of the salty wasabi nuts, and I diluted the smoked fish in cream cheese.  But I don't dare have any more of any of this salty crap.  It's affecting my ankles. I go to the food bank for food, not edema!  I am going to soak all the smoked fish and deli meat to get the saline out of it.
I've done that before.  Stupid supply this month.  Annoying.

Almost as annoying as my trapeziod.  Someone told me to hold my arms out to my sides and make many little circles (with no weights) to make my upper arms look better.  But I am appalled.  After a few weeks, my trapeziod is growing.  Growing is NOT the goal here.  I don't like big traps anyhow, especially on women such as myself.  Hard enough keeping bra straps from falling down without big old slanted traps! So now what, the trap turns to fat?  Oh, for pity's sake I would have been better off not to have started!

Quote from: Jojo on May 05, 2018, 12:33:35 AM
I might have to eat her!  Everything else is too high in salt.  I like salt.  I strive to get the USRDA.  But this week, things are too much like a salt haven.  Can't stand it.  Smoked fish, sliced deli meat, more sliced deli meat, Miso, amino acid juice, way salty nuts and even one mug of simple Campbell's chicken broth has over 80% of the daily recommended amount of salt.

I'd love to have some more of the salty wasabi nuts, and I diluted the smoked fish in cream cheese.  But I don't dare have any more of any of this salty crap.  It's affecting my ankles. I go to the food bank for food, not edema!  I am going to soak all the smoked fish and deli meat to get the saline out of it.

Almost as annoying as my trapeziod.  Someone told me to hold my arms out to my sides and make many little circles (with no weights) to make my upper arms look better.  But I am appalled.  After a few weeks, my trapeziod is growing.  Growing is NOT the goal here.  I don't like big traps anyhow, especially on women such as myself.  Hard enough keeping bra straps from falling down without big old slanted traps! So now what, the trap turns to fat?  Oh, for pity's sake I would have been better off not to have started!

Strong muscles are important for overall health but also help burn calories. Accept your beautiful musculature!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on May 05, 2018, 12:33:35 AM

I've got some salty nuts for you to try.  ;) ;)

But seriously, ladles and jellyspoons, you know what I always think when I eat a sodium-reduced product?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 05, 2018, 12:53:23 AM
IBut seriously, ladles and jellyspoons, you know what I always think when I eat a sodium-reduced product?

Ok Doc, I'll bite; what do you think when you eat sodium-reduced products?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: sumthinz going on on May 05, 2018, 01:06:54 AM
Ok Doc, I'll bite; what do you think when you eat sodium-reduced products?

Needs salt!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 05, 2018, 01:07:54 AM
Needs salt!

me too! I should have seen that one coming lol

Some people recommend sea salt. I doubt there's a reall difference in sea salt and regular table salt. Anyone have an opinion?

Rix Gins

Quote from: sumthinz going on on May 05, 2018, 01:10:16 AM

Some people recommend sea salt. I doubt there's a reall difference in sea salt and regular table salt. Anyone have an opinion?

Supposed research has shown that the salt from present day oceans are tainted with toxins that are passed into the salt.  Ancient, dry oceans don't have these toxins and certain salt deposits like Pink Himalayan Sea Salt are thought to have certain benefits.  I don't know, though.  Kind of "New Agey" but who knows?

http://fitlife.tv/12-incredible-things-that-happen-when-you-swap-table-salt-for-himalayan-sea-salt/nutrition/juicing/

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 05, 2018, 02:15:31 AM
Supposed research has shown that the salt from present day oceans are tainted with toxins that are passed into the salt.  Ancient, dry oceans don't have these toxins and certain salt deposits like Pink Himalayan Sea Salt are thought to have certain benefits.  I don't know, though.  Kind of "New Agey" but who knows?

http://fitlife.tv/12-incredible-things-that-happen-when-you-swap-table-salt-for-himalayan-sea-salt/nutrition/juicing/

I have several of the himalayan salt crystal lamps in my home. You have to be careful in high humidity because they will gather moisture and spill onto the furniture. But I like them. These large crystals are mined from deep salt mines.
https://www.seasalt.com/himalayan-pink-salt-sustainability

I was scuba diving in Bonaire. One of the local industries is salt production. They flood a diked filed much like they would a rice field but using the ocean salt water and allow it to evaporate. The salt crystals that grow are actually quite large. Golfball size and larger. I have a baggie with some in my pantry. I will see if I can get some pics of the larger crystals tomorrow.

It appears that all of this salt is exported for consumption without any concern for any air or water pollution. I didn’t investigate how much was actually used for food service.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147267-d3905067-Reviews-Salt_Flats-Bonaire.html

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 05, 2018, 02:15:31 AM

Thanks, Rix. I read the link and a few other quick things. Like you say, who knows?

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 05, 2018, 02:35:43 AM
I have several of the himalayan salt crystal lamps in my home. You have to be careful in high humidity because they will gather moisture and spill onto the furniture. But I like them. These large crystals are mined from deep salt mines.
https://www.seasalt.com/himalayan-pink-salt-sustainability

I was scuba diving in Bonaire. One of the local industries is salt production. They flood a diked filed much like they would a rice field but using the ocean salt water and allow it to evaporate. The salt crystals that grow are actually quite large. Golfball size and larger. I have a baggie with some in my pantry. I will see if I can get some pics of the larger crystals tomorrow.

It appears that all of this salt is exported for consumption without any concern for any air or water pollution. I didn’t investigate how much was actually used for food service.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147267-d3905067-Reviews-Salt_Flats-Bonaire.html

It would be interesting if you could post some pics

Jojo

Quote from: sumthinz going on on May 05, 2018, 12:51:41 AM
Strong muscles are important for overall health but also help burn calories. Accept your beautiful musculature!
Sorry, no more traps.  Didnt have them before and dont want them now!  No more horizontal arm circles.

Quote from: sumthinz going on on May 05, 2018, 01:10:16 AM

Sea salt contains natural minerals including Lithium a mood booster.  Sea salt also helps remove radiation, in a hot bath combined with baking soda.  The iodine content of sea salt does not seem to be documented.

Iodized table salt has Iodine, a necessary nutrient for sexual health and the thyroid.  If you are able to assimilate a vitamin with iodine in it, then you might not need table salt.

I think Himalayan salt is neat, although some of the granules entirely lack flavor, so I'm not sure how pure the manufacturers keep it.  The electric salt candle is fun, and the candle holders are fun.  As for actual ionizing effect, I've never sensed it but then again, I didn't like ionizers either.  But the Himalayan stuff is pretty AND fun, just like Elizabeth Montgomery.  According to George.

Manufacturers of prepared snacks use extremely finely powdered salt, so the tongue gets addicted.