• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

computer tower to stereo receiver, sound card?

Started by crescent fresh, September 01, 2017, 03:38:27 PM

I have 10,000+ MP3's on my desktop computer and i want to hook it to my Stereo receiver. I did it in the past but it was by running a Y cable with a mini jack from my computer speakers that split into two RCA jacks i plugged into the inputs on the receiver. It worked pretty well and sound was decent and i was happy with it but the cable got broke and i want to use a better method without spending a ton of money.

Here is my question, could i install a separate sound card and run the audio directly into my stereo receiver? I am concerned about the strength of the signal since it's not being amplified by the computer speakers. Is there such a thing as an amplified sound card so i dont have to turn my receiver up to 11 to listen to music? Maybe something like this but cheaper? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271004

chefist

What types of input ports do you have on your stereo? I have RCA ports, which work very well from my PC.

MV recommended these audio interfaces. I bought two and have been very happy with them.

It's a USB soundcard with two inputs and two outputs. You'll need 1/4' phone plugs-to-RCA for your stereo. Built-in pre-amps with volume controls so no problem with the level.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/372033788893

Quote from: chefist on September 01, 2017, 03:40:31 PM
What types of input ports do you have on your stereo? I have RCA ports, which work very well from my PC.

RCA ports

Quote from: Radio Activity on September 01, 2017, 04:29:24 PM
MV recommended these audio interfaces. I bought two and have been very happy with them.

It's a USB soundcard with two inputs and two outputs. You'll need 1/4' phone plugs-to-RCA for your stereo. Built-in pre-amps with volume controls so no problem with the level.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/372033788893

So if i used this i would have to use a cable like this to get it from his to the receiver?

How do you hook this thing up to the tower a mini headphone jack to a 1/4 TRS jack? Looks like it could work but i was hoping for something with less clutter but the prices is nice tho.

Quote from: chefist on September 01, 2017, 05:34:16 PM
yup...RA is right...put those RCA's through that U-Phoria...it's sound just nice...or, for a cheapo option (which I use on the show)...this...

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504308788&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+audio+device

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40645-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504308831&sr=1-4&keywords=rca+to+3.5mm+adapter

I was wanting something simple kinda like this but with no preamp to feed it into my receiver im worried the sound will be really low. Because i had to turn my computer speakers up about 3/4 to have the sound coming out of my receiver at a respectable level so im thinking this will require a preamp.

chefist

Quote from: crescent fresh on September 01, 2017, 05:38:42 PM
I was wanting something simple kinda like this but with no preamp to feed it into my receiver im worried the sound will be really low. Because i had to turn my computer speakers up about 3/4 to have the sound coming out of my receiver at a respectable level so im thinking this will require a preamp.

yup, this is as simple and cheap as you can get.

The U-Phoria connects to your computer through USB, not the headphone jack. 2 channels in and 2 channels out. The cable you posted above would work out the headphone jack, but you want one of these to come out of the mains:

Morgus

Your original Y-cable driving two loads probably reduced the signal level, however with a direct single connection that shouldn't happen.
If the output is at standard line level that should be plenty as is for input to a receiver.

cweb

Quote from: Morgus on September 02, 2017, 04:57:32 PM
Your original Y-cable driving two loads probably reduced the signal level, however with a direct single connection that shouldn't happen.
If the output is at standard line level that should be plenty as is for input to a receiver.
This. Any time you passively Y an output, it reduces the voltage and thus the signal.

Does your PC happen to have a headphone out in addition to the speaker outs? I'd run the speaker outs to the stereo and the headphone out to the computer speakers (since it seems like you are happy with the headroom on those). It's not the best "practice" to use the headphone out in this way, but it'll give you two outputs and allow you to switch them (via your software) without changing cables.

If you don't have the headphone out, either get one of the USB solutions or do what Morgus says and just run a direct cable.

Quote from: cweb on September 05, 2017, 06:13:29 PM
This. Any time you passively Y an output, it reduces the voltage and thus the signal.

Does your PC happen to have a headphone out in addition to the speaker outs? I'd run the speaker outs to the stereo and the headphone out to the computer speakers (since it seems like you are happy with the headroom on those). It's not the best "practice" to use the headphone out in this way, but it'll give you two outputs and allow you to switch them (via your software) without changing cables.

If you don't have the headphone out, either get one of the USB solutions or do what Morgus says and just run a direct cable.

It has a speaker jack on the back and a headphone jack on the front. I think i will just but this USB adapter and run RCA cables to the stereo receiver.