• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hurricane Irma

Started by starrmtn001, August 30, 2017, 08:04:01 PM

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2017, 03:50:16 PM

Yes...Hurricanes have hit FL for many many years, but this one is a monster because the oceans are getting warmer, and warm water (especially lots of it like the Atlantic) is the food that hurricanes use. The oceans are getting warmer because they're artificially warming up, glaciers are melting now where they never used to be less than about twenty feet thick.

The ocean is always warm in the tropics.  The water around the Bahamas has always been exceptionally warm almost hot.  Read up on the '35 hurricane, the '38 hurricane, the 1900 hurricane  and hurricanes in the 1940's.  Read up on Hugo, Andrew and Camille.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 08, 2017, 03:53:21 PM
The ocean is always warm in the tropics.  The water around the Bahamas has always been exceptionally warm almost hot.  Read up on the '35 hurricane, the '38 hurricane, the 1900 hurricane  and hurricanes in the 1940's.  Read up on Hugo, Andrew and Camille.

Yeah? And? The industrial revolution started before then.

chefist

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2017, 03:57:26 PM

Are you suggesting there were no hurricanes before the industrial revolution?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/sfl-hc-history-1495to1800-htmlstory.html

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2017, 03:57:26 PM

Unfortunately, we have very few records before 1900 about the severity of hurricanes so your guess is as good as mine.  I do know, in general, that there have been terrible hurricanes in Florida long before 1900.

Gd5150

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 08, 2017, 03:30:47 PM
I'm talking about its relation to Florida and hurricanes.  There storms are nothing abnormal. They have been happening for centuries.  We had a nice break in Florida from hurricanes for 10 years and when they come back some people some people cry  "climate change!"  What a crock!

The same so-called scientists who think consensus is evidence, also told us after Katrina that 15-25 hurricanes per year would be the new normal. They were only off by an infinite percent as we had none for 12 years.

The whole religious movement of man made warming cooling climate change climate disruption is just to push a political agenda. It's contains ZERO science. It has been caught countless times rigging data, photos, and just simply being wrong, over and over and over.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane2006/May/hurricane.shtml

"When he [Johannes Kepler] found that his long cherished beliefs did not agree with the most precise observations, he accepted the uncomfortable facts. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions. That is the heart of science."

- Carl Sagan

Quote from: Gd5150 on September 08, 2017, 04:11:39 PM
The same so-called scientists who think consensus is evidence, also told us after Katrina that 15-25 hurricanes per year would be the new normal. They were only off by an infinite percent as we had none for 12 years.

The whole religious movement of man made warming cooling climate changeclimate disruption is just to push a political agenda. It's contains ZERO science. It has been caught countless times rigging data, photos, and just simply being wrong, over and over and over.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane2006/May/hurricane.shtml

There used to be a scientific consensus that the earth was flat.  Revolutionary scientists like Copernicus were criticized and scorned during their lifetimes because they didn't go along with the consensus.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Gd5150 on September 08, 2017, 04:11:39 PM

Among the many things you don't understand (and the list is too long to go into here) is probability. Giving a low probability that something will happen doesn't mean it won't, it just gives the likely spread of potential outcomes and weights them accordingly. For instance, I'd give a low probability of you saying anything that isn't riddled with cliches and smug ignorance, but I can't rule out the possibility that you might say something lucid eventually.

Jackstar

That doesn't explain the relatively high probability--100%, it would seem--that fifty years of the U.S. Air Force's weather modification program has attained zero of its publicly stated goals, that you and your ridiculous sidekick continue to spew forth.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 08, 2017, 04:19:21 PM
There used to be a scientific consensus that the earth was flat.  Revolutionary scientists like Copernicus were criticized and scorned during their lifetimes because they didn't go along with the consensus.

Don't quote genuine scientists as cover for your superstitious tripe. You know (or ought to) that thought was dominated by the Church.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Jackstar on September 08, 2017, 04:31:23 PM
That doesn't explain the relatively high probability--100%, it would seem--that fifty years of the U.S. Air Force's weather modification program has attained zero of its publicly stated goals, that you and your ridiculous sidekick continue to spew forth.

That screed makes zero sense.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 08, 2017, 04:32:38 PM
Don't quote genuine scientists as cover for your superstitious tripe. You know (or ought to) that thought was dominated by the Church.

Oh puh-leaze.  Just because I believe in some phenomena that scientists can not yet explain does not mean it is tripe.  Genuine scientists would be looking for answers to these unexplainable things not mocking their existence.  That is exactly what Copernicus went through.

But, please, quit with the straw man attacks.  Stick to the subject at hand.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 08, 2017, 04:37:45 PM
Oh puh-leaze.  Just because I believe in some phenomena that scientists can not yet explain does not mean it is tripe.  Genuine scientists would be looking for answers to these unexplainable things not mocking their existence.  That is exactly what Copernicus went through.

But please, quit with the straw man attacks.  Stick to the subject at hand.

(I think you're getting confused with Galileo, who was genuinely persecuted, but they're only boring old facts after all.)

They do, mental illness being a strong candidate. The propensity for people to create a narrative where none exists being another. If you want to believe in something without evidence it's your own time you're wasting, not mine.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 08, 2017, 04:49:05 PM
(I think you're getting confused with Galileo, who was genuinely persecuted, but they're only boring old facts after all.)

They do, mental illness being a strong candidate. The propensity for people to create a narrative where none exists being another. If you want to believe in something without evidence it's your own time you're wasting, not mine.

You were right, I was thinking of Galileo.  As for the other , I'm not one for crazy conspiracy theories much to Dr. MD's and Jackstar's dismay.  However, too many strange things have happened to me in my life that I can't explain.  I choose not to dismiss them but I sure as hell don't understand them completely either.  Science should be working on those type of mysteries.  Edison asked the same questions that I pose now. But anyway, that is for another thread.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 08, 2017, 04:28:49 PM
Among the many things you don't understand (and the list is too long to go into here) is probability. Giving a low probability that something will happen doesn't mean it won't, it just gives the likely spread of potential outcomes and weights them accordingly. For instance, I'd give a low probability of you saying anything that isn't riddled with cliches and smug ignorance, but I can't rule out the possibility that you might say something lucid eventually.

Lol. Welcome back.

Well crap.  Stopped by the Food Lion after work tonight to pick up some cold adult beverages for the weekend.

It was pandemonium......  Absolutely blown out with folks tripping over Irma.  I was faced with a tough call - either
wait in line for what looked to be at least 30 minutes or flee and do without.   I fled......    Now I'm capping off the work
week by drinking Milk.    >:(

chefist

Meanwhile in Las Vegas...a "middle Eastern" woman has stolen a fire truck and is flying down Interstate 15 and is 7 miles from the California border...CA has given authorization to LV Metro police to cross the border into CA...

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/21038

Hog

PDF of Florida Interstate Highway Contraflow Plan dated 2005.

http://www.fdot.gov/traffic/traf_incident/pdf/050808_FIHS-Contraflow-MASTER.pdf

Florida isn't implementing it, Georgia is. Florida is still moving fuel and supplies South.

Tracking up Eastern Florida, the Keys are going to get nailed.

peace
Hog

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2017, 05:07:21 PM
Meanwhile in Las Vegas...a "middle Eastern" woman has stolen a fire truck and is flying down Interstate 15 and is 7 miles from the California border...CA has given authorization to LV Metro police to cross the border into CA...

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/21038

This is surreal...... Thanks for the steer.

chefist

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2017, 05:13:52 PM
This is surreal...... Thanks for the steer.

Due to heavy rains, I-15 is closed about 15 miles into CA...weird stuff.

Sounds like she stopped and maybe the truck isn't jacked up............

chefist

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2017, 05:19:48 PM
Sounds like she stopped and maybe the truck isn't jacked up............

Yea...she surrendered underneath an overpass...bizarre chase, that's for sure.

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2017, 05:20:39 PM

Would have been more interesting if she wheeled into Whiskey Pete's at the border

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2017, 05:20:39 PM
Maybe she finally noticed the firehouse Dalmatian in the back seat and it licked her hand. Since dogs are haram she had to stop the fire-engine and get out and rub dirt on that. (Interesting aside how come Muslims and old time coaches both claim rubbing dirt on a wound will make it better?)

" “If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him throw away its contents, then wash it seven times.” Muslim added: “the first time with earth.” (Al-Bukhaari bi Haashiyat al-Sindi, 1/44

Coach, and for the first time Muslims, might have been right??
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/antibacterial-clays-can-kill-antibiotic-resistant-e-coli-and-mrsa

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Hog on September 08, 2017, 05:07:52 PM
PDF of Florida Interstate Highway Contraflow Plan dated 2005.

http://www.fdot.gov/traffic/traf_incident/pdf/050808_FIHS-Contraflow-MASTER.pdf

Florida isn't implementing it, Georgia is. Florida is still moving fuel and supplies South.

Tracking up Eastern Florida, the Keys are going to get nailed wiped off the planet.

peace
Hog

FIFY

albrecht

Sir Richard Branson, another Brit who fled his country, apparently rode out the storm in his wine cellar and is ok. But many of the buildings and facilities on his Necker Island were destroyed. Plus donate to help him rebuild. Kidding, he is donating money to various charities to help the region. (I guess charitable donations are better than paying taxes. Kidding. He lives on a private island for "health," not tax reasons.)
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technology/business/richard-branson-hurricane-irma-safe/index.html

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2017, 06:30:50 PM
Sir Richard Branson, another Brit who fled his country, apparently rode out the storm in his wine cellar and is ok. But many of the buildings and facilities on his Necker Island were destroyed. Plus donate to help him rebuild. Kidding, he is donating money to various charities to help the region. (I guess charitable donations are better than paying taxes. Kidding. He lives on a private island for "health," not tax reasons.)
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technology/business/richard-branson-hurricane-irma-safe/index.html

If I had his money, I'd buy myself an island too. And probably wouldn't give a shit about anyone judging why.  ;D

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 08, 2017, 03:19:37 PM
Look up the facts yourself about hurricanes and Florida.  It doesn't take a genius to understand them.

I think climate scientists are going to be nervously looking at expected rain totals since Harvey left a record-setting 51.88" in Texas 2 weeks ago. It looks like Hurricane Easy, in 1950 recorded the most rain in Florida so far, at 45.2". People can construct fortified concrete structures to withstand the high winds, but if rain totals begin to increase, flooding entire cities, people might think twice about rebuilding.

I have a friend who lived in Pensacola during Hugo. His beachfront dream home on stilts was a total loss. He could have rebuilt as he was a contractor, but that was enough for him and he relocated inland.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wettest_tropical_cyclones_in_the_United_States