• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Halp! Dell laptop not charging

Started by mikuthing01, May 17, 2017, 07:34:51 PM

mikuthing01

I have this Dell Inspiron 15 3558 laptop and it will not charge the battery. The power cable is all Dell stuff but it says

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined

Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge. This problem might be solved by:

Ensure the plug is inserted completely for best system operation.

Connect a Dell 45W AC adapter or higher.

Can a bad jack make it not charge the battery? The plug wiggles around a bit but don't appear to be broken. If i am going to start throwing money at this POS to get it to work again i think i will start by replacing the jack since it cheap and does have some wiggle to it.

gnooryblows

Quote from: 初音ミク 追加する on May 17, 2017, 07:34:51 PM
I have this Dell Inspiron 15 3558 laptop and it will not charge the battery. The power cable is all Dell stuff but it says

Can a bad jack make it not charge the battery? The plug wiggles around a bit but don't appear to be broken. If i am going to start throwing money at this POS to get it to work again i think i will start by replacing the jack since it cheap and does have some wiggle to it.

? ? ? ? ? ? you're the asian, aren't you?

WOTR

Quote from: 初音ミク 追加する on May 17, 2017, 07:34:51 PM

Stupid question (only because I just dealt with something similar at work,) when you have the charger plugged in, you can use the laptop without draining the battery (eg: the charger provides power to the computer but will not charge?)

If so, I can look up the fix again (it's been a month and a half, and I already forget the steps...)

mikuthing01

Quote from: WOTR on May 17, 2017, 07:53:59 PM
Stupid question (only because I just dealt with something similar at work,) when you have the charger plugged in, you can use the laptop without draining the battery (eg: the charger provides power to the computer but will not charge?)

If so, I can look up the fix again (it's been a month and a half, and I already forget the steps...)

Yeah you can use the computer it just runs slower and will not charge the battery. Apparently the power supply sends a signal through a pin that the computer has to recognize for it to charge the battery. Some guy said he blew his out with air and it worked fine. Others have had to replace power supply's and jacks (on older models that had to be soldered onto the board, mine just plugs in). This computers about a year old and has had a pretty easy life not sure if the jack wiggle is normal though.

The pin that sends a signal looks good its not bent and the wires seem to all be in good shape.

WOTR

Found it.  This did work on the one laptop where this was an issue.  I cannot guarantee that it will fix it- but it is free...  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcDvp2A7Fss

Also check the Dell website and ensure your BIOS/uEFI is at the latest level.

However, if you brick your lapper while doing the update, I don't know you.    ;)

mikuthing01

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 17, 2017, 08:38:26 PM
Also check the Dell website and ensure your BIOS/uEFI is at the latest level.

However, if you brick your lapper while doing the update, I don't know you.    ;)

I tried that and it did not work. I am pretty sure it's the jack on the side at this point looks like im going to have to take it completely apart to fix it according to the youtube vid i just watched.

Quote from: 初音ミク 追加する on May 17, 2017, 08:59:17 PM
I tried that and it did not work. I am pretty sure it's the jack on the side at this point looks like im going to have to take it completely apart to fix it according to the youtube vid i just watched.

If you have to go in, you have to go in.

WOTR

Quote from: 初音ミク 追加する on May 17, 2017, 08:59:17 PM
Best of luck.  A soldering iron can be a friend in skilled hands, or a dreaded heated wand that causes "magic smoke" to escape.  :(

Dr. MD MD

Dude, you got a Dell. You should've gotten a Mac.  :D

These are intriguing to me because you can add whatever OS you want (although not a laptop).  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Unit_of_Computing

Catsmile

You can add any OS to these also...

the_Stranger

Quote from: 初音ミク 追加する on May 17, 2017, 07:59:43 PM
Yeah you can use the computer it just runs slower and will not charge the battery. Apparently the power supply sends a signal through a pin that the computer has to recognize for it to charge the battery. Some guy said he blew his out with air and it worked fine. Others have had to replace power supply's and jacks (on older models that had to be soldered onto the board, mine just plugs in). This computers about a year old and has had a pretty easy life not sure if the jack wiggle is normal though.

The pin that sends a signal looks good its not bent and the wires seem to all be in good shape.

[/q]
The pin on the left needs straightening.