• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What do you collect?

Started by Dyna-X, April 21, 2017, 10:47:36 AM

Dyna-X

Everyone collects something.   I started this thread as a catch-all for members that collect things not otherwise specifically threaded. (i.e. Rocks and Gems, videogames, etc.) and the other categories, such as Brig's prize laptop (Bellgab memorabilia) or a generalized paranormal and cat hoard* (we know who)    *municipal definitions are typically anything more than about 4 or 5 cats, excluding recent litters

For a few, it may be part confessional if they collect jars of fingernails or dirty magazines, but hopefully not both. It might even be a chance for some to show how nerdy they really are. This can include digital collections as well as physical.

I'd guess about half of us have a digital collection (or cassettes) of Art's old shows, no surprise.

I'll start. I collect music that had airplay from the 60s through late 80s timeframe, mostly. Space books and pictures (about 50 GB, so far) and Space Shuttle flown type items. If I need a new everyday or household item, I think "What would NASA certify for flight?" and find the item directly or choose something that would likely meet Mil-Spec or medical grade they would select from. (Hint: 95% of these things you can't find at Wal-Mart or Target.) Its sometimes tricky to find the right aluminum comb or specific models of Thinkpads.

Below is a Grid computer and some other items. The Grid models flew from STS-9 in 83' until about 1996 when the Thinkpads started flying by the dozen. (755, 760XD, A31p, T61p)

trostol

nothing..from time to time it has been Comics...sports cards..rocks..now its just time since i am unemployed lol

Dyna-X

Quote from: trostol on April 21, 2017, 05:00:50 PM
nothing..from time to time it has been Comics...sports cards..rocks..now its just time since i am unemployed lol
Are you collecting unemployment? Ba-da-doom  ::) Seriously though, I hope things turn your way.

mikuthing01

I collect AK-47/AKM magazines I have Hungarian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Polish, Egyptian, East German, Chinese, Yugoslavian and Finnish. I do not have any Russian mags because they are fairly rare and i just haven't come across one yet. I do not have any super rare stuff like slabside or aluminum waffle mags, or the holy grail North Korean but they are still fun to collect.

trostol

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 21, 2017, 05:53:47 PM
Are you collecting unemployment? Ba-da-doom  ::) Seriously though, I hope things turn your way.

lol nope...but thanks...

Uncle Duke

I collect aviation art from some of the world's finest aviation artists.  My favorites are works I personally commission showing factual, real world combat between aircraft that would normal not fight one another.  My personal favorite it the upper turret gunner from a RN FAA Grumman "Avenger" dive bomber shooting down a German V.1 "Buzz Bomb" over the Channel.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 21, 2017, 10:15:22 PM
I collect aviation art from some of the world's finest aviation artists.  My favorites are works I personally commission showing factual, real world combat between aircraft that would normal not fight one another.  My personal favorite it the upper turret gunner from a RN FAA Grumman "Avenger" dive bomber shooting down a German V.1 "Buzz Bomb" over the Channel.
Awesome. I like landscapes or western scenes  but that sounds neat. Can you post a pic of that one, or any? Are there artists who 'do' this and famous (make money or collected?) Curious, art markets and niches so interesting.
ps: good to see yer back on board, even for a bit Uncle.

yumyumtree

Refrigerator magnets and old detective magazines, mostly from the 40s, 50s and early 60s. I also like tins, but don't have room for as many as I'd like.

I'm also saving up wine corks to make one of those homemade bulletin boards. Most of them say "Charles Shaw", though.

Girly Pinterest stuff, mostly.

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2017, 10:25:40 PM
Awesome. I like landscapes or western scenes  but that sounds neat. Can you post a pic of that one, or any? Are there artists who 'do' this and famous (make money or collected?) Curious, art markets and niches so interesting.

+1 May have to re-activate the warbirds thread to keep Uncle interested.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2017, 10:25:40 PM

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 22, 2017, 07:28:37 AM

Is that US Float plane a Seagull, Duke?  Only biplane/float plane I know  ::)

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 22, 2017, 08:02:29 AM
Is that US Float plane a Seagull, Duke?  Only biplane/float plane I know  ::)

Yes.  Action Over Kiska: 7 August 1942, 16:30 Hours, by Marii Chernev (Nakajima A6M2-N 'Rufe' vs Curtiss SOC Seagull).  The Seagull had been launched from a USN heavy cruiser to spot for naval bombardment of the Japanese held island of Kiska in the Aleutians.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 22, 2017, 08:24:33 AM
Yes.  Action Over Kiska: 7 August 1942, 16:30 Hours, by Marii Chernev (Nakajima A6M2-N 'Rufe' vs Curtiss SOC Seagull).  The Seagull had been launched from a USN heavy cruiser to spot for naval bombardment of the Japanese held island of Kiska in the Aleutians.

It wasn't air to air combat, but a dramatic painting would be the reputed crash landing and recovery back to flight of one of the Dambuster Lancaster bombers. It flew so low over the North Sea that when it reached Holland the pilot lifted the nose to clear the sea wall but miscalculated and ripped the bomb from the belly of the fueslage. This caused the aircraft to pitch forward into the water on the other side and partially went underwater, but incredibly bounced back up and maintained airspeed. Without the bomb, their misson was over and they returned to Scampton.

pyewacket

I used to collect holiday themed items like Christmas nutcrackers and vintage Halloween black cats, but you can have too many after awhile.

Do collections that you use count? I now collect different types of drawing pens and colored pencils for the projects I work on. Each type has specific characteristics that produce the desired effects for your artwork. I have wax, clay, and oil based sets along with some pastels and water color pencils.

Not as exciting as other people's collections- but artistic types will understand.  ;)

GravitySucks

I used to travel for work. Not a lot, but some. I have cookbooks from around the country to remind me of the local restaurants I would discover. I generally sought out places that locals recommended.

Besides that, I have collections of collections.

Dyna-X

Quote from: pyewacket on April 22, 2017, 09:26:19 AM
I used to collect holiday themed items like Christmas nutcrackers and vintage Halloween black cats, but you can have too many after awhile.

Do collections that you use count? I now collect different types of drawing pens and colored pencils for the projects I work on. Each type has specific characteristics that produce the desired effects for your artwork. I have wax, clay, and oil based sets along with some pastels and water color pencils.

Not as exciting as other people's collections- but artistic types will understand.  ;)
Absolutely. Collections need an active life (use, trade, enjoy) in the collector's world else they are just a stash or hoard. The items like the person have a story behind them. Pens and pencils are a tricky matter to those who love the art of writing and drawing. Weight, balance, the color and quality of the line - which ironically is why the Biro or Bic survives today.  They just work consistently with a nice grip. I like the wider, softer leads (1.1 mm) but sometimes a .5mm comes in handy in detail work. As for color, its annoying they killed off the wonderful crimson-like inks in pens a decade ago to make this pale, pinky red. (Hence the old US Govt red ink here :) The previous collection I mentioned - space - is intertwined in this set as well.

Dyna-X

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 22, 2017, 10:13:37 AM
I used to travel for work. Not a lot, but some. I have cookbooks from around the country to remind me of the local restaurants I would discover. I generally sought out places that locals recommended.

Besides that, I have collections of collections.

Often the places that are hyped up in an area are pretty bland. The locals invariably lead you someplace that looks like a dive that has the best (fill-in-the-blank) you have ever tasted. Perhaps this is because the emphasis is on the food and not the ambiance.

Did you ever go to the Outpost Tavern in Houston?  ;D

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 22, 2017, 10:52:48 AM
Often the places that are hyped up in an area are pretty bland. The locals invariably lead you someplace that looks like a dive that has the best (fill-in-the-blank) you have ever tasted. Perhaps this is because the emphasis is on the food and not the ambiance.

Did you ever go to the Outpost Tavern in Houston?  ;D

Actually, I am probably one of the few people that worked at JSC through most of the Shuttle program that never set foot in the Outpost. I drove past it twice a day for over 20 years. It was quite the eyesore but it did have a religious following.

I do have quite the collection of space trivia including a limited edition autographed print by Alan Bean and a piece of a space shuttle tile left over from testing after the Colombia accident. Lots of t-shirts I have never worn as well. I have at least one item that was flown on a shuttle mission and some unique souvenirs. When I worked in the simulators, we would have a cake cutting ceremony after each final sim. I have loads of pictures in the SMS of the crews from the early 90's.

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000305.html

http://www.outpost-tavern.org

If you are ever down here, Frenchie's restaurant, which is located kind of kiddie corner from where the Outpost was, has what is probably the biggest collection of autographed astronaut pictures/posters/mission patches on the walls.

http://www.frenchiesvillacapri.com/frenchies/

Jackstar

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 22, 2017, 11:07:03 AM
Actually, I am probably one of the few people that worked at JSC through most of the Shuttle program that never set foot in the Outpost. I drove past it twice a day for over 20 years. It was quite the eyesore but it did have a religious following.

Dyna-X

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 22, 2017, 11:07:03 AM

I do have quite the collection of space trivia including a limited edition autographed print by Alan Bean and a piece of a space shuttle tile left over from testing after the Colombia accident. Lots of t-shirts I have never worn as well. I have at least one item that was flown on a shuttle mission and some unique souvenirs. When I worked in the simulators, we would have a cake cutting ceremony after each final sim. I have loads of pictures in the SMS of the crews from the early 90's.

If you are ever down here, Frenchie's restaurant, which is located kind of kiddie corner from where the Outpost was, has what is probably the biggest collection of autographed astronaut pictures/posters/mission patches on the walls.

http://www.frenchiesvillacapri.com/frenchies/
I knew you would know about the Outpost and its demise. :(  Looks like its time for a road trip. If Alan Bean endorses the spaghetti at Frenchie's this is confirmation. We traded spaghetti and sweet chili recipes at a space conference and never got around to talking about the moon.  ;D

Thanks for  the tip!

ksm32

High quality recording studio microphones.  As a matter of fact my bellgab name is that of a microphone. The Shure KSM32.

Pictures of my beautiful yard because I theme it different every year.

Broken hearts. I'm a real looker ;)

Dyna-X

Quote from: ksm32 on April 24, 2017, 01:15:44 AM
High quality recording studio microphones.  As a matter of fact my bellgab name is that of a microphone. The Shure KSM32.

Pictures of my beautiful yard because I theme it different every year.

Broken hearts. I'm a real looker ;)
I know a couple folks that collect microphones. I'm predictable and just have a Yeti.  However, if I ever find an old AKG 190 about for a good price, I will give it a new home. They win the coolest looking microphone ever, award. They can make the Pope look almost cool. The sound quality is middle of the road for most applications, but used to be popular as drum mics.

Professional microphones, as I understand are very function specific - a recording studio mic with all the fancy shock absorbers being miles away from the sound range/quality than one used for ENG (Electronic News Gathering.)

3OctaveFart

Rare books, 18th century and earlier. Oldest is from 1585.

ksm32

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 24, 2017, 10:31:37 AM
I know a couple folks that collect microphones. I'm predictable and just have a Yeti.  However, if I ever find an old AKG 190 about for a good price, I will give it a new home. They win the coolest looking microphone ever, award. They can make the Pope look almost cool. The sound quality is middle of the road for most applications, but used to be popular as drum mics.

Professional microphones, as I understand are very function specific - a recording studio mic with all the fancy shock absorbers being miles away from the sound range/quality than one used for ENG (Electronic News Gathering.)

I recently purchased a set of original AKG C1000s's (or because of their shape you could call them microphones for lonely woman). These are kind of a controversial microphone and most of us in the recording industry do tend to shun these.
One things for sure though, don't sit on one ;D

coaster

I had quite a comic book collection but sold them. This was before they started making a million comic book movies. I had around three thousand comics, many back issues but also silver and a few golden age. Got ripped off.
I quite enjoy using my metal detector, and have a nice collection of coins and trinkets now. I am a big fan of antiques and am trying to start a collection, but its hard going. I have about 50 or so pieces so far. Sitting in my shed. Off the wall stuff. Antique tools, fishing lures, advertising stuff, little furniture odds and ends. Its a fun hobby to have.

Juan

Manual typewriters - not the Russians, Clintons, Obamas, nor Trumps are spying on my calendars and daily logs.

=Schlyder=

golf clubs, and bass guitars

Dyna-X

Quote from: Schlyder7 on April 24, 2017, 05:29:49 PM
golf clubs, and bass guitars
Do you have a Rickenbaker 4001?
I might be biased here as to its sound, but Chris Squire was my favorite bassist of all time.

aldousburbank

For several decades I have been collecting peyote art. It is a consistent phenomena that individuals and tribal/cultural groups that maintain a relationship with this visionary plant express that relationship through artistic means. I have hundreds of items in various mediums which make my home resemble an art gallery. Beadwork, ceramics, clothing/textiles, stained glass, posters, sculptures, and what not. Many of the items are those I've personally found but approximately half of my collection has been gifted to me by friends.  I've been told that I need to open a museum. Maybe someday when I'm not too busy trying to have a life.