• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hardest questions to answer

Started by zeebo, March 20, 2017, 02:37:52 AM

whoozit

Quote from: zeebo on April 09, 2017, 07:12:17 PM
Just because a woodchuck could chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood, it doesn't mean they would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
I didn't account for a lazy woodchuck.

zeebo

Quote from: whoozit on April 10, 2017, 12:26:55 AM
I didn't account for a lazy woodchuck.

Don't feel bad, we've all made that mistake before.

TigerLily

I'm thinking at this point the woodchuck is having an existential crisis. "To chuck or not to chuck. That is the question".

Dyna-X

Quote from: TigerLily on April 10, 2017, 10:55:29 AM
I'm thinking at this point the woodchuck is having an existential crisis. "To chuck or not to chuck. That is the question".
To the iPhone users out there Siri offers us a similar response, but makes sure we know that a woodchuck is actually a groundhog.

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on April 09, 2017, 07:12:17 PM
Just because a woodchuck could chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood, it doesn't mean they would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

No one stopped to ask if a woodchuck should

TigerLily

Quote from: Taaroa on April 10, 2017, 09:07:47 PM
No one stopped to ask if a woodchuck should

We should leave it to beaver

zeebo

Have you guys heard of this one?  See you've got this haystack.  We can agree that if you pull out just one little straw it's still a haystack right?  And by that logic, the same must be true for the next straw, and so on.  So how can the haystack ever disappear?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on April 11, 2017, 01:37:12 AM
Have you guys heard of this one?  See you've got this haystack.  We can agree that if you pull out just one little straw it's still a haystack right?  And by that logic, the same must be true for the next straw, and so on.  So how can the haystack ever disappear?

Another version of Zeno's paradox. Nice one, zeeb!  ;)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 11, 2017, 01:46:11 AM
Another version of Zeno's paradox. Nice one, zeeb!  ;)

Yep, reworked it with a little barnyard style.   :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on April 11, 2017, 01:54:25 AM
Yep, reworked it with a little barnyard style.   :D

Makes senses that that's how a squirrel would do it.  :)

whoozit

Quote from: zeebo on April 11, 2017, 01:37:12 AM
I would have expected "So you have this pile of acorns"...

WildCard

RIDDLE (rĭ dəl) 1. v. That which bullets do to human flesh. 2. n. A flouncy human conundrum.
-Encyclopaedia of Hell

zeebo

Can you really be a true altruist if the reason you help others is it makes you feel good?

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on April 14, 2017, 09:03:15 PM
Can you really be a true altruist if the reason you help others is it makes you feel good?
The Ayn Rand types always say this. Btw I've never really been satisfied with the solutions to some of Zeno's paradoxes, at least the ones that use sophistry and semantics to do so. But, I guess, the Einstein's etc have solved them. Really all it takes is discovery of the use of alcohol. Things like "time being relative," the inability to have knowledge of location and speed at the same time ("Ossifer",) time not "really" existing, and even some "quantum entanglements," or "time travel-esque" episodes prove the refutations of Zeno and the, on paper somewhat bizarre quantum theories, correct! I think once decades ago during Mardi Gras I personally solved all those problems over an over-indulgence in Hurricanes, "Big Ass Beers," and Hand Grenades!

Maybe if Norry would put some Everclear into his beet juice and toomeric cocktail he could understand the Big Bang, even?

whoozit

Will the American Gods television show be any good?  I'm usually dissapointed with adaptations of books.

zeebo

Quote from: whoozit on April 17, 2017, 01:54:29 PM
Will the American Gods television show be any good?  I'm usually dissapointed with adaptations of books.

I tend to be more accepting of films made from short stories/novellas, since they're more like sketches which can be adapted into a more fully-developed vision from the screenwriter/director, without losing the essence of the story.  Long books, especially intricate, detailed novels, usually don't translate well imho since too much nuance must be abandoned. 

Also, books tend to better capture more abstract realms like characters' internal states than movies can.  Given the nature of the medium movies are usually more focused more on plot and action. 

Neil Gaiman has such a compelling, lyrical quality to his writing that I fear some of that will be lost, likely replaced with glitzy special effects, costumes, musical score, and such.

GravitySucks

Coke or Pepsi?

(Coke for me, I would rather have RC than Pepsi)

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 17, 2017, 09:25:30 PM
Coke or Pepsi?

(Coke for me)
Neither, good old Jim straight up, no mixer. But for the kiddoes or if due to marketing you feel you must drink Cokes (expensive sugar-water in my opinion) I say Dr. Pepper. 10-2-4.

zeebo

Coke or Pepsi?

Awhile back I kicked my Coke Classic habit, by transitioning to Coke Zero, which I think is the best-tasting diet cola.  However, I decided later to switch to Diet Pepsi so as to drop the aspartame element.  It's, okay.  But if I had it my way, I'd drink the Coke still made in Mexico in the glass bottles w/ real cane sugar, until I exploded.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on April 17, 2017, 09:09:00 PM
I tend to be more accepting of films made from short stories/novellas, since they're more like sketches which can be adapted into a more fully-developed vision from the screenwriter/director, without losing the essence of the story.  Long books, especially intricate, detailed novels, usually don't translate well imho since too much nuance must be abandoned. 

Also, books tend to better capture more abstract realms like characters' internal states than movies can.  Given the nature of the medium movies are usually more focused more on plot and action. 

Neil Gaiman has such a compelling, lyrical quality to his writing that I fear some of that will be lost, likely replaced with glitzy special effects, costumes, musical score, and such.
I recently read his Nordic Legends and liked. He did a good job, I have some issues with translation etc but a good intro. Never had heard of him before but caught an interview on radio about book and interest in them. Was and easy read and good intro into them.

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on April 17, 2017, 09:53:40 PM
Awhile back I kicked my Coke Classic habit, by transitioning to Coke Zero, which I think is the best-tasting diet cola.  However, I decided later to switch to Diet Pepsi so as to drop the aspartame element.  It's, okay.  But if I had it my way, I'd drink the Coke still made in Mexico in the glass bottles w/ real cane sugar, until I exploded.

I used to drink a LOT of diet coke. Then I started drinking the diet coke in the can with splenda.

Decided to cut out the artificial sweeteners so now I drink a Mexican coke once in awhile or regular coke in a bottle. I went from like 6 liters of diet coke per day down to one bottle of coke every day or so.

I think diet rite is the best tasting diet cola but it is hard to find. Coke zero is ok but I was drinking diet coke when that came out so I haven't had it very often.

Quote from: zeebo on April 17, 2017, 09:53:40 PM

The only Coke I bring into my home is the Mexican coke.  I still like an occasional fountain Coke but I don't particularly care for Coke derived from corn syrup.

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 17, 2017, 10:09:30 PM
I used to drink a LOT of diet coke. Then I started drinking the diet coke in the can with splenda.

Decided to cut out the artificial sweeteners so now I drink a Mexican coke once in awhile or regular coke in a bottle. I went from like 6 liters of diet coke per day down to one bottle of coke every day or so.

I think diet rite is the best tasting diet cola but it is hard to find. Coke zero is ok but I was drinking diet coke when that came out so I haven't had it very often.

Diet Rite is the best-tasting diet cola and it was what my Dad preferred.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 17, 2017, 10:18:54 PM
The only Coke I bring into my home is the Mexican coke.  I still like an occasional fountain Coke but I don't particularly care for Coke derived from corn syrup.
"Mexican Coke" is an Echelon alert by the way. You are now tracked.  Ha. Btw some study said no one can tell if cane, corn, or sugar beets. (Tho the link did come from some family in the Dokotas who farm beets n got some who corn in Iowa- they love the bs govt add to gas stuff. Ha)

Rix Gins

Coke or Pepsi?

(Coke for me, I would rather have RC than Pepsi)

Coke.  But if Royal Crown Cola was on the list I would pick it.  And here's why...

https://youtu.be/2IWJv3_0YuM

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on April 17, 2017, 10:24:13 PM
"Mexican Coke" is an Echelon alert by the way. You are now tracked.  Ha. Btw some study said no one can tell if cane, corn, or sugar beets. (Tho the link did come from some family in the Dokotas who farm beets n got some who corn in Iowa- they love the bs govt add to gas stuff. Ha)

I can't tell much if any difference in the sugar anymore but I do think there is a difference between glass and plastic bottles and the glass ones stay colder longer. I can't drink a can soda anymore.

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 17, 2017, 10:09:30 PM
...Decided to cut out the artificial sweeteners so now I drink a Mexican coke once in awhile or regular coke in a bottle. I went from like 6 liters of diet coke per day down to one bottle of coke every day or so.

This is a good way to go, if you have discipline, which I do not.  I needed to cut some sugar from the diet so going the diet-soda route was a relatively good trade-off.  I was doing pretty well until I discovered Haagan-Dazs cookie-dough ice cream.  That stuff is like the crack of food.  I have zero self-control if I am within a mile of any known pint of the stuff.

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on April 17, 2017, 10:39:13 PM
This is a good way to go, if you have discipline, which I do not.  I needed to cut some sugar from the diet so going the diet-soda route was a relatively good trade-off.  I was doing pretty well until I discovered Haagan-Dazs cookie-dough ice cream.  That stuff is like the crack of food.  I have zero self-control if I am within a mile of any known pint of the stuff.

I switched to home brewed iced tea that I sweeten with half raw sugar and half stevia. For some foods, especially dinner, I juste prefer the carbonation. Or maybe it is the phosphoric acid altering the taste of the food. 

I haven't seen a diet cola with stevia yet. I would probably drink that.

Quote from: albrecht on April 17, 2017, 10:24:13 PM

LOL.  Well if American Coke would shift back to using cane sugar instead of corn syrup as the sweetener and offered their product in glass bottles larger than 10 oz, I might shift back.  I can't drink Coke from plastic bottles anymore though occasionally I'll drink a 12 oz can of coke classic.