• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Retro Advertisements that just wouldn't fit in today's world.

Started by ShayP, February 15, 2017, 03:12:07 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on December 01, 2017, 06:03:45 PM
;D  You know there was a team of marketing people assigned to do just that.  ;)

That's why once Robert Crumb took acid in the 60s he started making stuff like this:

Because when he was a kid the real thing wasn't far from it and it was all around him.  ;D

Robert

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 01, 2017, 06:09:06 PMThat's why once Robert Crumb took acid in the 60s he started making stuff like this:

Because when he was a kid the real thing wasn't far from it and it was all around him.  ;D
Cute, never saw that Crumb, thanks.  But wouldn't the usual caricature run the opposite way, i.e. African cannibals?

Robert

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 12:45:09 PM
I'm sure if women want that look then they would not bother to begin with.  Not a very good proposition.  Love your Paul Masson Welles avatar, Shay.  LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvxwf1jxdaM
I've got to believe he did those takes for the laughs.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 01, 2017, 05:57:53 PM
For all of these I'm imagining some Yale educated white guy with glasses and a notepad walking around Harlem, talking to black people and trying to pick up the lingo.  ::) ;D

I'm sure market research never got more in depth than a quick screening of "Song of the South" over martinis and cigarettes.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert on December 04, 2017, 02:00:48 PM
Cute, never saw that Crumb, thanks.  But wouldn't the usual caricature run the opposite way, i.e. African cannibals?

Right but he's saying the opposite to make a point about how prevalent racist images of black people were and what it said about white culture back then. The images Shay uploaded aren't satire. They're real ads.

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on November 21, 2017, 12:48:13 PM
Thanks!  :)  I never get tired of that video.  ;D
I think he might've been drunk when he decided to narrate that Nostradamus video "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow." I had a stoner friend who would rant about the movie "man, you have to watch this movie."  Finally we were worn down and gave it a shot. So bad. And like most of the Nostradamus stuff lots of "speculative assertions" and vague allusions that what he wrote applied to Hitler, for example. And even Welles distanced himself from it later. Must have sobered up.

Robert

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 04, 2017, 03:18:45 PMRight but he's saying the opposite to make a point about how prevalent racist images of black people were and what it said about white culture back then.
Never thought of it that way.  Usu. the satirist just exaggerates.  But come to think of it, I've enjoyed many versions wherein the satirist both exaggerates & reverses.  Like Orson Bean's "Amelicatown".
QuoteThe images Shay uploaded aren't satire. They're real ads.
Some of them are gags, but I'm familiar w the real ones you're referring to.