• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Concealed Carry on DoD Installations

Started by Uncle Duke, November 23, 2016, 12:26:37 PM

Uncle Duke

http://ijr.com/2016/11/742222-the-us-military-just-sent-a-strong-message-to-any-other-terrorist-who-dares-to-target-a-recruiter/

Not a perfect answer, but at least commanders have the option of allowing concealed carry on DoD installations.  Unclear from reading the article if the directive applies only to active duty members, or if civilians with CCW permits are covered as well.  For three years I sat next to a support contractor who was a former SEAL.  I'd have felt more comfortable with him carrying a gun on base than any 19 year old sky cop fresh out of tech school.

Jackstar

I'm honestly puzzled how taking guns away from the military ever seemed like a.... oh, right. Vietnam.

massive rolleyes

I honestly don't know how all you oldfags let this shit happen. It was the leaded gasoline, wasn't it? Tell me it was the leaded gasoline, and not the fluoride.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 23, 2016, 12:26:37 PM
http://ijr.com/2016/11/742222-the-us-military-just-sent-a-strong-message-to-any-other-terrorist-who-dares-to-target-a-recruiter/

Not a perfect answer, but at least commanders have the option of allowing concealed carry on DoD installations.  Unclear from reading the article if the directive applies only to active duty members, or if civilians with CCW permits are covered as well.  For three years I sat next to a support contractor who was a former SEAL.  I'd have felt more comfortable with him carrying a gun on base than any 19 year old sky cop fresh out of tech school.
The article makes it very unclear and vague. I would guess that on state/civilian owned property (like recruiting stations at your strip mall than a state issued CCL would allow the officer (or even civilians if not posted against?) But on an actual base it would be up to the CO? And not sure if this is some extra/permit or specific to above a certain rank or what? Vague and unclear. We have "campus carry" now and, so far, no incidents that I heard about.

norland2424

Quote from: albrecht on November 23, 2016, 04:41:04 PM
The article makes it very unclear and vague. I would guess that on state/civilian owned property (like recruiting stations at your strip mall than a state issued CCL would allow the officer (or even civilians if not posted against?) But on an actual base it would be up to the CO? And not sure if this is some extra/permit or specific to above a certain rank or what? Vague and unclear. We have "campus carry" now and, so far, no incidents that I heard about.

there are guns in the barracks as it is, this just makes it easier to conceal carry on bases. this is a good thing

Jackstar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragging

QuoteThe term fragging is used to describe the deliberate killing or attempted killing by a soldier of a fellow soldier, usually a superior officer or non-commissioned officer (NCO). The word was coined by U.S. military personnel during the Vietnam War, when such killings were most often attempted with a fragmentation grenade, sometimes making it appear as though the killing was accidental or during combat with the enemy. The term fragging is now often used to encompass any means used to deliberately and directly cause the death of military colleagues.

see above, re: "oldfags," "let this happen," "honestly puzzled"

albrecht

Quote from: norland2424 on November 23, 2016, 04:44:37 PM
there are guns in the barracks as it is, this just makes it easier to conceal carry on bases. this is a good thing
On campus they made us lock them up (think still folks remember the awful Tower Shooting*) and this was before CCL and was mainly things like shotguns and deer rifles. I never took any of mine to campus when I lived in the dorm. Private housing or Greek etc was all off campus so do whatever you want. I don't see why CCL holders or trained military and cops shouldn't be allowed to have a weapon almost anywhere, especially in this day of terrorism, BLM violence, and crazy kids.

*interestingly local talk has always said that a civilian, Crum, got the 'kill shot' but the officer wrote it up differently because he was shaken up and to avoid publicity or legal trouble. There are also stories of people on The Drag taking out rifles from their vehicle and Frat guys on the roofs of houses firing back at Whitman. Martinez credits this with saving lots of lives as Whitman was "pinned down" due to the return fire, regardless of its accuracy.

Hog

Quote from: albrecht on November 23, 2016, 05:21:16 PM
There are also stories of people on The Drag taking out rifles from their vehicle and Frat guys on the roofs of houses firing back at Whitman. Martinez credits this with saving lots of lives as Whitman was "pinned down" due to the return fire, regardless of its accuracy.
Covering fire!

peace
Hog