• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

David Paulides Missing 411

Started by goldendeal, January 22, 2015, 10:38:00 PM

tos11201

Paulides keeps insisting that he offers no explanation for the events he chronicles in his books out of respect for the victims' families. Quite heartwarming, David. I'm all tears. So why does every slide in your Missing 411 presentation have a page-height caricature of a sasquatch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeT2FG88PIM

Disingenuous to the core. Seriously, wtf?

rob69

Quote from: tos11201 on June 29, 2015, 03:49:31 PM
Paulides keeps insisting that he offers no explanation for the events he chronicles in his books out of respect for the victims' families. Quite heartwarming, David. I'm all tears. So why does every slide in your Missing 411 presentation have a page-height caricature of a sasquatch?

Good question.  I don't listen to him on the radio or on YT.  Is he giving a presentation about 411 with Sasquatch undertones?  Say it isn't so..........I can't understand how some people can't make the connection. 

You’d be surprised at how many of his followers show up at a search call-out spewing his BS!  It's frightening in terms of how his “theories” are gaining traction and how many people think that he should be instructing S&R on what to do.     

Yeah SAR needs Paulides' BS like we need a hole in our collective heads, thanks but no thanks. They should ask Dave why he hasn’t been to a search and rescue conference since 2012? He was laughed out of that one and asked never to confuse his fiction with the reality of missing person search and rescue operations.

Quote from: tos11201 on June 29, 2015, 03:49:31 PM
Disingenuous to the core. Seriously, wtf?

People want to believe that the FOOT is taking people in the woods.  Nothing more nothing less. 

Juan Cena

Quote from: rob69 on July 01, 2015, 03:11:52 AM

Good question.  I don't listen to him on the radio or on YT.  Is he giving a presentation about 411 with Sasquatch undertones?  Say it isn't so..........I can't understand how some people can't make the connection. 

You’d be surprised at how many of his followers show up at a search call-out spewing his BS!  It's frightening in terms of how his “theories” are gaining traction and how many people think that he should be instructing S&R on what to do.     

Yeah SAR needs Paulides' BS like we need a hole in our collective heads, thanks but no thanks. They should ask Dave why he hasn’t been to a search and rescue conference since 2012? He was laughed out of that one and asked never to confuse his fiction with the reality of missing person search and rescue operations.

People want to believe that the FOOT is taking people in the woods.  Nothing more nothing less. 

Paulides was laughed out of a search & rescue conference? Please, tell us more.

Robert

Quote from: bsbishop on May 18, 2015, 04:29:46 AMInteresting to note, Dave Schrader said on his show (Darkness Radio) recently that Paulides said that he refuses to come back on unless Schrader reads all of his books, cover to cover. Dave said, "Well, that's simply not happening so Paulides won't be back. I have plenty of things on my plate and don't need to spend all of that time reading all of those books."

It struck me as a odd demand from Paulides when he's trying to sell those books and I don't get where insisting that the host read all of them helps with the storytelling.
It could be because he wants to be asked more sophisticated questions.  He's gotten plenty of exposure via Knapp, so maybe he's looking for someone more engaging to interview him.  Knapp's vastly better than Noory, but that doesn't mean he's the last word in interviewing.

Robert

Quote from: rob69 on May 24, 2015, 01:02:18 AMTelling a story is fine and dandy, in fact I am all for it.  When you use the deaths and disappearances to sell books you cross a line.
That is what you consider a bad line to cross?

We're still looking for causes of some of the great plagues of the distant past.  What's wrong with using tragedy to stir interest?  And without interest, which often takes a good deal of entrepreneurship to stir, how do you expect to get answers?

I can understand people attacking a researcher for special pleading (such as via cherrypicking data, or failure to adequately explore hypotheses), for conflict of interest, for incompetence...but not for trying to make $ from adversity.

Robert

Quote from: Northern Nights on January 23, 2015, 09:41:35 AMMy all-time favorite is The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel, now there's a book you don't want to read late at night.  It was re-issued at one point so it's easy to find.  When the terrible movie version came out I emailed Art asking him to interview Mr. Keel, and lo and behold he did that soon after.
I got friendly with him in the 1990s, though I didn't talk to him often.  It was a good time to get friendly w him because his NYC Fortean friends had stopped meeting regularly; they were getting old, not enough new blood to keep him interested.  I lost touch w him the same time nearly everyone else did after his heart attack.

I don't think the movie was terrible at all.  It was its own drama, and a loose enough adapt'n that it held lots of surprises for the readers of the book.  I prefer loose adaptations to close ones generally, because why just tell the same story again?  Besides, you couldn't reasonably adapt Mothman in any linear fashion; its chapters are largely various asides presenting things in different ways.  I liked the movie so much, I rented the video of it to see again, and even reran certain scenes, boring my friend Nancy whom I had over, because I enjoyed the visual symbolism.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Robert on July 01, 2015, 08:40:47 PM

We're still looking for causes of some of the great plagues of the distant past.  What's wrong with using tragedy to stir interest?  And without interest, which often takes a good deal of entrepreneurship to stir, how do you expect to get answers?

I can understand people attacking a researcher for special pleading (such as via cherrypicking data, or failure to adequately explore hypotheses), for conflict of interest, for incompetence...but not for trying to make $ from adversity.

It's when it becones obvious as to how disengenuius he is in regards to his claims that he wants to find answers to this "mystery."

He really isn't that interested in forcing the NPS to do more when it comes to dealing with missing persons in our National parks.

rob69

Quote from: Juan Cena on July 01, 2015, 09:10:04 AM
Paulides was laughed out of a search & rescue conference? Please, tell us more.

At the 2012 NASAR (National Association of Search and Rescue) conference at Lake Tahoe he gave a presentation about missing people and his "strange" ideas.  He was plugging his first book, and was given some latitude until he was challenged on his perception of hypothermia and lost person behavior, or more to the point his complete ignorance of them. 

It was suggested that maybe a course in Wilderness first aid, combined with the fundamentals of Search and Rescue and a follow-up with lost Person Behavior might enlighten him.  Being that he wrote a book and "talked" with numerous S&R teams he didn't need any of those. 

At that point anyone who remained in the room left, and then the question was asked who invited the Bigfoot guy?

rob69

Quote from: Robert on July 01, 2015, 08:40:47 PM

1. He is not suggesting any remedies or solutions or uncovering anything new.  There are numerous books on the subject of missing people and people that have died in the wilderness by known and unknown means.  Many of the stories he recounts are presented in these volumes without the underlying theme of "nefarious forces beyond our control" mumbo-jumbo.  Not to mention his constant opinions and statements of "he was a trained outdoors man" and "that would never happen", and the constant omission of case file information that is intentionally left out to make the reader think it was Bigfoot.   

2.   His consistent and mind-numbing references to some huge cover-up by the park service and by association Search and Rescue.  After all we are the people that actually look for these folks so we must be in on it too.  Additionally, the people that have gone missing in the Park systems' represent less than 20 percent of his stories in his first two books.  He massages that conveniently by including 92 people that were found alive and well to skew his data sets.   

Take what he writes as fiction and get them second hand.         

rob69

Quote from: Robert on July 01, 2015, 08:34:43 PM
It could be because he wants to be asked more sophisticated questions.  He's gotten plenty of exposure via Knapp, so maybe he's looking for someone more engaging to interview him.  Knapp's vastly better than Noory, but that doesn't mean he's the last word in interviewing.

Does Knapp still interview him?  I list all respect for the guy as a "journalist" when he didn't vet him in the beginning.  Knapp in my humble opinion is just another entertainer.  Who is Dave Schrader?  Is his show on terrestrial radio or a podcast?

rob69

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 23, 2015, 09:15:55 PM

My problem with Paulides' was his ridiculous supposition US Army Green Berets were involved in some nefarious criminal/supernatural abduction and/or cover-up of same of a child in the Great Smoky Mts National Park.  I offered to help him with a FOIA request to Ft Bragg and to contact a couple Special Forces' vet groups I've worked with in the past to get the back story on why the GBs were in the Park, but he wanted no part of serious, professional research.  Although I don't recall calling his work "b.s.", I do question his agenda.

Uncle Duke Check your PM. 

For those that are interested.  I came on here back in 2012 talking about this charlatan and was poo-pooed by a few people and called all kinds of shit by "Sardondi" "Lovely Bones" and a few others.  I think old Dave actually posted under "Iceman" attempting to assuage his negative reception by me and a few others calling him out. 

Regarding Dennis Martin, there is a Park Service report on line that very distinctly articulates who and why SF was called into the park.  It also contradicts many of Dave's "facts" in the Martin's disappearance as well as the other interesting issues regarding what he left out.   Here is a link if you haven't seen it.

http://web.knoxnews.com/pdf/062109martinreport.pdf

I took him to task as well over his NUMEROUS omissions on that case as well.

Robert

Quote from: rob69 on July 02, 2015, 09:00:08 AM1. He is not suggesting any remedies or solutions or uncovering anything new.  There are numerous books on the subject of missing people and people that have died in the wilderness by known and unknown means.
And you use that to argue that he's crossed a line?  Looks like evidence of the opposite to me!

rob69

Quote from: Robert on July 02, 2015, 12:06:09 PM
And you use that to argue that he's crossed a line?  Looks like evidence of the opposite to me!

I think this has already been discussed, but when you change the dynamics of a case by omitting facts then yes you cross a line!   Not to mention his constant opinions and statements of "he was a trained outdoors man" and "that would never happen", and the constant omission of case file information that is intentionally left out to make the reader think it was Bigfoot.   

Maybe it's me.....but by saying that Jaryd Atadero wasn't attacked by a mountain lion when all evidence says he did is disingenuous.  Or when Dave omits that there were "Human" suspects in the disappearance of Dennis Martin (Dennis' mother thought this) then yes you cross a line.  These are only two.......There are MANY others.

So are you saying that changing the facts of a case by omitting them is ok?       

Please tell us how his evidence looks like the opposite to you!  Seems he is making up adversity to make some coin. 

YMMV

Robert

Quote from: rob69 on July 02, 2015, 12:25:25 PMI think this has already been discussed, but when you change the dynamics of a case by omitting facts then yes you cross a line!
Keep track of what we're discussing.  You wrote:
Quotewhen you use the deaths and tragic disappearances of people in order to make a buck then you cross a line.
Then you wrote:
QuoteHe is not suggesting any remedies or solutions or uncovering anything new.  There are numerous books on the subject of missing people and people that have died in the wilderness by known and unknown means.
Now you ask:
QuotePlease tell us how his evidence looks like the opposite to you!  Seems he is making up adversity to make some coin.
Not his evidence, yours.  If there are already numerous books on the subject & he's not uncovering anything new, then how can he be crossing a line by using the deaths & disappearances to make a buck?  That line was already crossed long ago & we're all together on the other side of it with him.

Morgus

David Paulides is Noory's "alternate programming" as a guest on July 20th the night Art's show premieres...

Quote from: Morgus on July 17, 2015, 04:32:22 PM
David Paulides is Noory's "alternate programming" as a guest on July 20th the night Art's show premieres...

Wont be listening.

;D

Fuck George Noory and Coast to Coast AM.

tos11201

Quote from: NW Kro͞oˈsādər on July 17, 2015, 02:20:01 PM
Missing 411 The Movie!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1032329905/missing-411-the-movie

Interesting.

Apparently, David needs your cash. I wonder how many of the donations listed are actually legit and not cooked up to get the ball rolling.

And you can only leave a comment if you're a backer (damn!).

And of course, no mention of Bigfoot anywhere...

goldendeal

Finally a decent show that will not lull me to sleep, unfortunately it is hosted by Jorch. Missed Knapp by one night :(
I am curious if Jorch has the common sense to bring up two-year-old Deorr Kunz.
Kunz was reported missing on Friday afternoon after he wandered away from a campsite near Timber Creek Reservoir Idaho.
The parents say there was no one within miles of their camp site, and it was just as if he was there one minute then vanished. More resources were called in as the search wore on this week.  Search dogs, a helicopter, searchers on horseback and all-terrain vehicles were looking for the boy. About 150 people were assigned to the search, and people are working day and night to find the boy, but so far nothing has been found. According to the sheriff’s office.
I am looking forward to Paulides take on this recent case.

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/13/desperate-search-for-2-year-old-idaho-boy-suspended/

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Charles Daniels on June 24, 2015, 02:08:21 AM

There are several which just totally defy explanation -- people only out of sight for only seconds, with no obvious place to go, in extremely well searched areas, and nothing is ever found.

I've been to Kenya several times. I was there when the driver of a road scraper (recovering the road after unseasonally torrential rains) disappeared in Tsavo national park. Not a trace. It was suspected he'd left his cab and taken by lions. Same happened with the passenger of a bus from Mombassa to Nairobi. The bus got a puncture, they all got out, a woman went for a pee behind a tree at the side of the road, distance from the road about twenty yards.  Again no trace. Wild animals are opportunists. Big aggressive predatory animals have evolved to be very good at survival.

goldendeal

[ It was suspected he'd left his cab and taken by lions. Same happened with the passenger of a bus from Mombassa to Nairobi Wild animals are opportunists. Big aggressive predatory animals have evolved to be very good at survival.
[/quote]

Fortunately, there are no recorded sightings or records of African Lions or Bangladesh Bengal Tigers in US national parks or even state parks for that matter. There are very few Mountain lions (a recent count  yielded an estimate of one mountain lion per 50 square miles)  These Mountain lions , sometimes called cougars, pumas or panthers that have been pushed  (due to human infringement)  to  roam outer edges of Yosemite’s mountains and valleys. Scientists, in 2014, validated a large decrease of mountain lion sightings in Yosemite National Park. Also through a park-affiliated study detailed in 2012, no aggressive behavior by these animals toward visitors was recorded in the last 10 years…you would have better odds to suggest alligators helped in the missing’s demise. But then again, since 1948, only 17 humans had been confirmed killed by the huge reptiles...so, I feel we can almost certainly rule this out.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: goldendeal on July 18, 2015, 02:27:41 AM
[ It was suspected he'd left his cab and taken by lions. Same happened with the passenger of a bus from Mombassa to Nairobi Wild animals are opportunists. Big aggressive predatory animals have evolved to be very good at survival.

Fortunately, there are no recorded sightings or records of African Lions or Bangladesh Bengal Tigers in US national parks or even state parks for that matter. There are very few Mountain lions (a recent count  yielded an estimate of one mountain lion per 50 square miles)  These Mountain lions , sometimes called cougars, pumas or panthers that have been pushed  (due to human infringement)  to  roam outer edges of Yosemite’s mountains and valleys. Scientists, in 2014, validated a large decrease of mountain lion sightings in Yosemite National Park. Also through a park-affiliated study detailed in 2012, no aggressive behavior by these animals toward visitors was recorded in the last 10 years…you would have better odds to suggest alligators helped in the missing’s demise. But then again, since 1948, only 17 humans had been confirmed killed by the huge reptiles...so, I feel we can almost certainly rule this out.

Has to be bigfoot/ aliens/ portals then. I'm convinced. The data is conclusive.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Morgus on July 17, 2015, 04:32:22 PM

Interesting choice, as Paulides is the only guest in recent years who has managed to have brought something new to the table (insomuch as he cloaks his "Bigfoot is killing people" story in increasing levels of BS).

Juan Cena

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 18, 2015, 02:33:07 AM

Fallen angels. You forgot fallen angels?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Juan Cena on July 18, 2015, 02:54:52 AM
Fallen angels. You forgot fallen angels?

Damn. How did I do that? I feel foolish now.

goldendeal

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 18, 2015, 02:33:07 AM

At the end of the day , it's Coast to Coast, not Marlin Perkin's Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom...

onan

Quote from: goldendeal on July 18, 2015, 04:44:34 AM

At the end of the day , it's Coast to Coast, not Marlin Perkin's Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom...

Marlin Perkins... almost 30 years dead and still better than this mutated bilge soup of c2c.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbJXzwURlRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOokSG3WW4U

goldendeal

Quote from: onan on July 18, 2015, 06:10:39 AM
Marlin Perkins... almost 30 years dead and still better than this mutated bilge soup of c2c.

On that we can agree ...a Jorch hosted Coast is horrible...
Marlin Perkins...RIP 
Hell, even Perkins would have been an upgrade over Jorch...
Wait till Monday, Jorch will ask Paulides for the 10th time " so, how did you get into this missing persons work"   which if I remember right,  the  last time Paulides was on a Jorch hosted show a few months ago, it wasn't until the very last segment that  Paulides began to tell updated stories of missing persons.. He had to wade through 3 segments of Jorch’s  elementary questions as if he has never been a guest on the show before. If you listen to the last program  Paulides was on , you can sense he was getting frustrated with Jorch's low brow questions and was about the throw in the towel....so , Monday expect little new missing reports, only a history of how  Paulides "got into all this"

So, what is the answer to the (supposed) mystery? Why would George Knapp, an investigated reporter, Peabody Award winner, shill for Paulides if he didn't think their was a problem also? I just cant see a man like Knapp sell his integrity for ratings or a bit part in a movie. Its easy to dismiss Paulides and even easier to dismiss him if someone didn't get answers to their questions from Paulides, but their is obviously more to this story then whats being said. I am waiting for someone to actually find some paper proof, or hard evidence to show Paulides as a fraudster. The movie looks interesting, and it looks like they are using real Park rangers, asking them questions. I have yet to hear Paulides blame Bigfoot also for the disappearances. Anyone has a link or a vid where Paulides blames Bigfoot, I would be interested to see or hear it. I'm on the fence with Paulides.

tos11201

Quote from: NW Kro͞oˈsādər on July 19, 2015, 02:59:56 PM

I have yet to hear Paulides blame Bigfoot also for the disappearances. Anyone has a link or a vid where Paulides blames Bigfoot, I would be interested to see or hear it.

Scroll up.