• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

pate

zeebo

The crazy thing is that I'm actually watching it this year.

pate

What a season though, not settled 'till the last day of regular scheduled play, with possibilities for a WC playoff game to even get division/wild card...  It's been a long uphill slog to get back into it all after all the mid-90s strike/lockout stuff.  Cricket is a hell of a game, that's for sure...

I am a bit AL Midwest centric right now, sorry if you or anyone else can't follow my brand of crazy...

Completely agree, and  last night's game took the cake, the candles, and the party favors.  KC should not have won, but I think the crowd willed them to by sheer force of its collective energy.  I bet it was a looooong flight back to Oakland.

pate

I know it is mean for me to constantly harp on the mentally disabled, and I think it is great that Ned Yost took the heat on it, but wtf Butler?  I know you have Down's and the crowd was really loud and stuff, and I realize your dream of going to the WS with the Royals is looking to come true (if your team can keep pulling off stuff like last night), but seriously, it's a Major League Playoff Game, ferchrissakes, keep your eye on the ball and the guy that is holding it, don't get thrown out at first!

I was amazed that you got there, and didn't hit yourself into a double play, or get thrown out while attempting to run to the plate on the hit, but to get thrown out like that and force your team-mate to try to steal home?  Gimme a break, a Major League manager does *NOT* try Little League sneaky schemes like that in a Playoff game.  Period.  Billy, God-Love-You...

In the 1st Inning...  C'mon man!  This is for real now, not a dream...

I know, I know, he put a single up before that, but that smooth move 'bout wasted it...

If only offensive errors existed in baseball that'd be one for sure, and on you Billy...

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/9/30/6876273/billy-butler-caught-wandering-off-1b-to-end-wild-1st-inning

Still total props to Yost for covering for Billy by saying it was a plan that didn't work out...

Just wow. and what a game...

I totally agree that KC should not have won that, but still, wow, if they go to the WS and win it that game will make it a Cinderella story to end 'em all...

pate

yep, it might be 1985 in Bizzarro world again..

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 01, 2014, 05:42:13 PM
Completely agree, and  last night's game took the cake, the candles, and the party favors.  KC should not have won, but I think the crowd willed them to by sheer force of its collective energy.  I bet it was a looooong flight back to Oakland.

Epic game.  Baseball, especially post-season, can sometimes go from a laid-back chill zone to high drama. 

phrodo

The Royals and A's game was a very entertaining ballgame -- perhaps the best of the year past and future. Giants and Pirates tonight was as lopsided and flat as the night before was evenly matched and sharp.

Eddie Coyle

Saw one of those amusing stats about the Royals winning their last 7 elimination games in the post-season. Amusing, because they hadn't been in the playoffs since Oct 27, 1985 before Monday.

But it got me nostalgic. Obviously the three prior wins were over St Louis in the '85 WS, but gave me an "oh yeah", because I hadn't thought about them being down 3-1 to Toronto in the '85 ALCS in ages. And it reminded me of that terrific Cards-Dodgers series with the dramatic homers by Ozzie Smith and Jack Clark.

I was 10 for the '85 playoffs. I watched pretty much every inning(NBC/ABC) and still recall the starting lineups-I couldn't imagine not watching.

Now at 39, I have sports anomie and resent pretty much every person involved in pro sports.

pate

Baltimore was over the top tonight...  Nice game. 

As far as how the other game went:  after Tuesday's game, it was sort of anti-climatic, although plus for the extra-innings drama.

Quote from: pate on October 03, 2014, 12:00:06 AM
Baltimore was over the top tonight...  Nice game. 

As far as how the other game went:  after Tuesday's game, it was sort of anti-climatic, although plus for the extra-innings drama.

Didn't get to see a lot of the Baltimore game, but I'm glad they won.  And Ned Yost's dumb luck continues thanks to last night's great and/or lucky outfield defense. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, Aoki doesn't duck under Cain to catch that ball.   

Here's some cool footage of the 1924 World Series.  Unfortunately, the cameras were fairly stationary, so you can't see much of the action once the ball's hit, but it's interesting to watch how much different the pitchers' windups were back then.  There's also some rare footage of Walter Johnson.  If I had a time machine, I'd use it a lot to go back to watch old baseball games.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/rare-world-series-footage-1924_n_5923094.html

Eddie Coyle

A clueless Tiger manager woefully using his already shitty enough bullpen.

Fat Joba Chamberlain looking nothing short of awful.

A Mike Scioscia team running into outs.

Dodgers crowning themselves champs and looking like another early exit.

That's Rocktober baseball!

They still play baseball?  Last time I paid attention they quit in the middle of the season and went home.

When I checked the interwebs this morning and the Dodgers/Cardinals game was sitting there with a over/under of 6, I thought "this is just too easy".

^^ I have no idea how to punctuate that. Would that use a colon or a semicolon?

pate

Somebody grab a broom, it looks like it is gonna be a sweeps post-season...

I have not remote viewed;  only used complicated statistical analysis to make this statement...

pate

'nother thang, did I see a 3-4-3 or somesuch double-play last night?

I'd go with semicolon, but then I am not the professor of English.

Tigs ouch.  StLouis shows good bunt! (didn't watch the game but they faked the Dodgers enough to be convincing...)

I still think the Nat's are going to put paid to the lie of the playoff sweeps.

Dan Quayle believes in Giants... 'nuff said...

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 03, 2014, 10:52:46 AM
Here's some cool footage of the 1924 World Series.  Unfortunately, the cameras were fairly stationary, so you can't see much of the action once the ball's hit, but it's interesting to watch how much different the pitchers' windups were back then.  There's also some rare footage of Walter Johnson.  If I had a time machine, I'd use it a lot to go back to watch old baseball games.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/rare-world-series-footage-1924_n_5923094.html
Thank you for that. News. That was amazing. How the footage survived is a story in itself and to see famous players and history. I love the wind-ups also back then. Wow. And how all fans wearing suits (compare to today.)

phrodo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 03, 2014, 11:29:02 PM
When I checked the interwebs this morning and the Dodgers/Cardinals game was sitting there with a over/under of 6, I thought "this is just too easy".

^^ I have no idea how to punctuate that. Would that use a colon or a semicolon?

What a game that was! Another amazing comeback for the Cardinals.

Zoo

Man what a great game the Cards played last night. Yadie does not take shit from anyone. Want some come get some LETS GO CARDINALS!!1

I would LOVE to see one of the major leagues fold (all of them, actually)

Top choices would be MLB and the NBA

zeebo

Here at the top of the 18th inning in the Giants v. Nationals match-up, I'm starting to think Pate was right on with this topic.

Something about tomorrows Bumgarner-Fister matchup don't sound right

Little Hater

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 04, 2014, 05:25:00 PM
I would LOVE to see one of the major leagues fold (all of them, actually)

Top choices would be MLB and the NBA

Make it the NBA. Baseball gives middle-aged women something to focus on.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 06, 2014, 12:05:10 AM
Something about tomorrows Bumgarner-Fister matchup don't sound right

When Fister was with Seattle the pitcher/catcher battery was Fister-Moore  (Adam Moore).

Zoo

Cardsnation and that is all that needs to be said!!1

phrodo

Quote from: Zoo on October 08, 2014, 07:32:26 PM
Cardsnation and that is all that needs to be said!!1

True. What a team. And Kershaw is the Cards postseason beyotch.  ;D

pate

I guess I got the sweeps part wrong there, dang close on the NL side, I honestly figured the Cards would do it...  Extra-innings are brutal, I'm still catching up on sleep...

I am standing by my Bizarro World 1985 prediction.  I think the brooms can be put away, though, although it would be fun to see some more sweeps...

Also, I wish to publicly state that Billy Butler is forgiven for his Wild Card game foolishness in the 1st inning.  His running into home from 1st base on a bases loaded double without getting thrown out in the 1st inning followed by his 6th(?) inning stolen base (1st SB in two years!  Good for you Billy!) in the last game did it.  Hopefully, he can live his dream of winning a World Series with his team and end the career on a high note this year.  He's nicer than George Brett who is sort of a dick in real life.  (what is it with people named George having a tendency to suck?)

Might see more extra innings on both sides though...