• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Quote from: JesusJuice on February 01, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

It's a penis.
LOL - If that's what you think a penis looks like, you're hanging with the wrong people.  ;)   ;D

starrmtn001

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 01, 2017, 01:12:51 AM
LOL - If that's what you think a penis looks like, you're hanging with the wrong people.  ;)   ;D

Androids maybe? ::)

Ciardelo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 01, 2017, 01:09:01 AM
Ciardelo, a house from the '70s will have wood trim so you'll want to try to save as much of it as you can. All new trim is plastic, which means you'll need a tack gun to install it. You can't hammer a finishing nail through the new crap without it splitting unless you drill pilot holes first. (PITA)
(FYI)  ;)

The trim was stained a dark walnut originally and then it was painted over sloppily a dark brown...so can I strip the paint off? They really don't look all that special...they don't make wood trim anymore? What? That is upsetting.  ???

K_Dubb

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 01:19:58 AM
The trim was stained a dark walnut originally and then it was painted over sloppily a dark brown...so can I strip the paint off? They really don't look all that special...they don't make wood trim anymore? What? That is upsetting.  ???

ya you can get baseboards still

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 01:19:58 AM
Wood trim is very, very expensive. You can still get it, but expect to pay a premium.
I would sand the paint off with 400 grit or higher. You don't want to take the wood down, just remove the paint. Then you can re-stain it to match the decor of the bathroom. It's a bit more work, and can be done by hand if you don't have much trim. If you have a friend with an orbital sander, that works good. I wouldn't use a belt sander as it removes too much material. Any hard core Gear-Head will have an orbital sander.  ;)

Ciardelo

Quote from: lukathing03 on February 01, 2017, 01:33:07 AM
This is the trim i bought for my house after i installed 3/4" Oak hardwood flooring

http://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows-millwork/moulding/all-unfinished-mouldings/base-moulding/5-8-x-4-x-8-ft-oak-base/p-1444433507153-c-7609.htm?tid=-3832865021375181447

That looks very nice, but I think in this small space it would be too over-powering. Do they make hardwood or faux hardwood for bathrooms?

Luka Megurine

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 01:36:58 AM
That looks very nice, but I think in this small space it would be too over-powering. Do they make hardwood or faux hardwood for bathrooms?

oh i wouldn't install wood floors in a bathroom it would swell with humidity and finish would probably come off i was just pointing out the trim. I have seen interlocking flooring that looks like wood and stone not sure how well it stands up to moisture they might make some that does. But since it's not 100% water proof since it's interlocking i would try to protect the subfloor by using exterior stain to seal the wood and use some kind of underlayment like roofing tar paper. I am not a professional i just hate rotted wood so this old house might think staining the sub floor with Thompson's WaterSeal is overkill.

Ciardelo

Quote from: lukathing03 on February 01, 2017, 01:46:32 AM
oh i wouldn't install wood floors in a bathroom it would swell with humidity and finish would probably come off i was just pointing out the trim. I have seen interlocking flooring that looks like wood and stone not sure how well it stands up to moisture they might make some that does. But since it's not 100% water proof since it's interlocking i would try to protect the subfloor by using exterior stain to seal the wood and use some kind of underlayment like roofing tar paper. I am not a professional i just hate rotted wood so this old house might think staining the floor with Thompson's WaterSeal is overkill.

No, you're right. It's my main bath upstairs and once it's fixed, I want it to stay that way. I already feel I'm in for it with trying to replace the subfloor. I sure don't want to do that twice.

Good points Lukathing.
Check this:  https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/c-6512.htm?searchTermToCategory=flooring

They make a vinyl flooring with a hardwood print on it specifically for bathrooms too. Maybe ask one of the clerks at the store ?

Ciardelo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 01, 2017, 01:59:08 AM
Good points Lukathing.
Check this:  https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/c-6512.htm?searchTermToCategory=flooring

They make a vinyl flooring with a hardwood print on it specifically for bathrooms too. Maybe ask one of the clerks at the store ?

No Menard's here in Oklahoma. We've got Sutherland's, Home Depot and Lowes. There's also some largish local chains for flooring. Looks like I'll have to actually leave my house and go talk to the 3D people.

Thanks for the help everybody :)

That's what the Hoagy Home & Garden thread is for. ;)         ;D

zeebo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 01, 2017, 02:12:07 AM
That's what the Hoagy Home & Garden thread is for. ;)         ;D

Articles coming up in the premiere HHG issue:

Stylish Accutron Color Options
Bolo Tie Display Cases
Pre-filled bookshelves (currently only Asimov, Clarke, and RCH Collected Works available)
Hair-grooming Mirror with Dedicated Live NASA Feed Inset
Comfy Couches to Sleep on After Arguments

Zenman

Didn't occur to me. That is indeed an ice tea spoon.

Who'd've know they have ice tea on Mars?

Summers must be warmer there than reported.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Zenman on February 01, 2017, 02:25:49 AM
Didn't occur to me. That is indeed an ice tea spoon.

Who'd've know they have ice tea on Mars?

Summers must be warmer there than reported.

Plus, it's floating.

WOTR

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 11:35:25 PM
Yeah, that's the thing...it creaks and pops as it is now. I may need to replace some of it because it definitely is "squishy" underneath the linoleum in one spot. Damn but it's SO EXPENSIVE to bring in a contractor. Not to mention the hassle of having strange Mexicans roaming all about.

The floor itself is coming up on its own and appears to be just barely hanging on at the edges by the baseboards...oh yeah, the baseboards are a little fucked up too.
Short notes...

You have water damage (hence the "squishy" feeling)  I see that you are looking at a house from the 70's.  In my province (in Canada) houses in the 70's generally had wood joists with a thin wood subfloor (I have seen lots from this era with diagonally laid 3/4 X 6 inch boards) and then cheap particle board.  Your house will never make "this old house" status of a craftsman built house from the turn of the century (no offence, mine is 1973 and has the same issues.)

Tiles are not a bad thing, and now is a good time to learn (in a small space.)  First step- pull up your old floor cover (linoleum?) and see what the hell you are working with, then pull up the underlayment to get to the subfloor.  At this point, if you require a subcontractor you have saved yourself the money on demolition and taken away the uncertainty in your reno bill (they can see exactly what needs to be done.)

Now for tile... Do it right the first time because you will kick yourself if you have to redo it in a month!  Your floor will end up higher than the other room due to the thickness required from the materials.  This is one of the best sites for starting and deciding if you can actually do it yourself.  It is not difficult- but you should read a little before committing. It explains how to prepare the floor and other articles will show you how to put the tile in.  Don't skimp on screws, don't cheap out and use plywood (damn near as expensive as cement board, anyhow.)  Leave the room for the cement board to expand (I like cement board on the floor as opposed to denshield or hardie board- personal preference.)  Put thinset between the cement board and subfloor (seriously- just do it.)  This is one of the most complete websites with the best step by step instructions, a little humour and it will be done correctly.

http://floorelf.com/how-to-install-cement-backerboard-for-floor-tile

Good luck.

WOTR

ASBESTOS!  I almost forgot.  1970's = asbestos in your linoleum (at least there is a good possibility.)  Wear a mask and you will be fine (installers would develop problems after decades of working with it.  One project will not kill you, but take precautions.)  The asbestos in your tile or linoleum is considered "non friable" meaning that it is much safer than insulation or old brake pads or...

Anyhow, just wear a mask.  ;)

Ciardelo

Quote from: WOTR on February 01, 2017, 02:58:16 AM
Short notes...

You have water damage (hence the "squishy" feeling)  I see that you are looking at a house from the 70's.  In my province (in Canada) houses in the 70's generally had wood joists with a thin wood subfloor (I have seen lots from this era with diagonally laid 3/4 X 6 inch boards) and then cheap particle board.  Your house will never make "this old house" status of a craftsman built house from the turn of the century (no offence, mine is 1973 and has the same issues.)

Tiles are not a bad thing, and now is a good time to learn (in a small space.)  First step- pull up your old floor cover (linoleum?) and see what the hell you are working with, then pull up the underlayment to get to the subfloor.  At this point, if you require a subcontractor you have saved yourself the money on demolition and taken away the uncertainty in your reno bill (they can see exactly what needs to be done.)

Now for tile... Do it right the first time because you will kick yourself if you have to redo it in a month!  Your floor will end up higher than the other room due to the thickness required from the materials.  This is one of the best sites for starting and deciding if you can actually do it yourself.  It is not difficult- but you should read a little before committing. It explains how to prepare the floor and other articles will show you how to put the tile in.  Don't skimp on screws, don't cheap out and use plywood (damn near as expensive as cement board, anyhow.)  Leave the room for the cement board to expand (I like cement board on the floor as opposed to denshield or hardie board- personal preference.)  Put thinset between the cement board and subfloor (seriously- just do it.)  This is one of the most complete websites with the best step by step instructions, a little humour and it will be done correctly.

http://floorelf.com/how-to-install-cement-backerboard-for-floor-tile

Good luck.

Cool! I take no offense that I live in a modest home. I'd love to have a turn-of-the-century manor, but alas, I don't. :) I think you are correct this is a good place to try my hand at a little renovation. The space is small enough to not be too big of a chore I think. Measure twice, cut once, all that. Thanks for the website!

Zenman

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 01, 2017, 02:48:45 AM
Plus, it's floating.

It is floating. I see the shadow.

Must be some sort of magnetic anomaly, maybe caused by the interaction between the Martian and solar magnetic fields.

I wonder if it drops back down after dark.

WOTR

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 03:10:44 AM
Cool! I take no offense that I live in a modest home. I'd love to have a turn-of-the-century manor, but alas, I don't. :) I think you are correct this is a good place to try my hand at a little renovation. The space is small enough to not be too big of a chore I think. Measure twice, cut once, all that. Thanks for the website!

I know people who live in houses from the late 1800's and early 1900's.  Unless you want to gut them and have the $$$ they are a very bad investment.  Electrical installed from a time when it was expected to burn your house down, no insulation, single pane windows, no attic insulation, foundations that seep...  I will take my 70's house over them any day.  Yeah, old houses can be nice and comfortable after you spend $150 000 renovating them- and you have something really special with great craftsmanship.  But even replacing an interior door is a chore (most were hand built and not "standard dimension.")

Anyhow, good luck.  It is a great project and the small square footage will keep the costs down even if you go with very high end products (at least the building materials.  The alcohol required should not be high end.) ;)

Ciardelo

Quote from: WOTR on February 01, 2017, 03:10:13 AM
ASBESTOS!  I almost forgot.  1970's = asbestos in your linoleum (at least there is a good possibility.)  Wear a mask and you will be fine (installers would develop problems after decades of working with it.  One project will not kill you, but take precautions.)  The asbestos in your tile or linoleum is considered "non friable" meaning that it is much safer than insulation or old brake pads or...

Anyhow, just wear a mask.  ;)

Good idea :)

Nobody

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 01, 2017, 12:38:56 AM
That's cuneiform ASCII Art. ;D    It's supposed to be my Deep Sleep Gun firing 3 three-round bursts.  ;)

Er, don't DS Guns hold six charges?  ???

DebbyS

Hoagland (?) tweeted (and was seen by me today (Feb 1) at 9:55am Mountain Time):

TheOtherSideOfMid ‏@OtherSideOfMid  · 3 hours ago 

TUE-SAT 12 - 2 a.m. (PST) LISTEN LIVE: https://www.talkstreamlive.com/program/richard_c_hoagland/ …
OR CALL... http://fb.me/5MZ3HFcyk

I've replied "is this *live* live or what? Guest(s)? Topics?" I copied stream url (found when clicking either link above) and stuck it in my stream list for my digital radio. I'll have to remember to check if he's trothing or not. He has not yet tweet after that, but maybe he'll remember to inform would-be listeners of what he plans to talk about. Maybe the weather. The mountains (I think he is or near Taos) have gotten up to 200% of normal snow, but it looks like we'll have another warm February. At least with all the well-watered vegetation, maybe bears won't bother him.

K_Dubb

Quote from: DebbyS on February 01, 2017, 11:01:12 AM
Hoagland (?) tweeted (and was seen by me today (Feb 1) at 9:55am Mountain Time):

TUE-SAT 12 - 2 a.m. (PST) LISTEN LIVE: https://www.talkstreamlive.com/program/richard_c_hoagland/ …

I've replied "is this *live* live or what? Guest(s)? Topics?" I copied stream url (found when clicking either link above) and stuck it in my stream list for my digital radio. I'll have to remember to check if he's trothing or not. He has not yet tweet after that, but maybe he'll remember to inform would-be listeners of what he plans to talk about. Maybe the weather. The mountains (I think he is or near Taos) have gotten up to 200% of normal snow, but it looks like we'll have another warm February. At least with all the well-watered vegetation, maybe bears won't bother him.

The same post on facebook indicates a replay.   :(

I don't know if he'll ever melt out of his snowbank.

trostol

Quote from: DebbyS on February 01, 2017, 11:01:12 AM

what you are seeing is misdirection...notice that live part is followed by a BS claim that loyal 19.5 members will get his book..only then, half way down the page, is the guest listed which indeed..is a replay lol

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 02:07:40 AM
No Menard's here in Oklahoma. We've got Sutherland's, Home Depot and Lowes. There's also some largish local chains for flooring. Looks like I'll have to actually leave my house and go talk to the 3D people.

Thanks for the help everybody :)
a friend just renovated an old river cabin for rental and needed to make it 'nice' to compete with the newer, larger built rentals but can withstand a lot of wear, water, etc. He put in this tile everywhere that looks like hardwood but was concrete or tile (right now I forget which.) I never have been a fan of polished concrete floors, though some tmes they can look nice. Upon close inspection, of course, you can tell but the look goes with the wood walls etc of the cabin but without the need to deal with as much wear and tear or cost of real wood (or worse laminate) with people coming and going, cowboy boots, wet from swimming, etc. Having to fix, sand down, restain or repoly, etc. Then saved some sg ft by getting rid of the fire-place, chimney, and hearth (it is Texas and not many want to rent a river place in winter away,) opened up the kitchen/breakfast nook to the living room, and it now "seems" a lot bigger than it is. But the floors, especially in photos, looked like wood. SOme ideas:
http://www.glossyfloors.com/concrete-wood-floors/
http://www.glossyfloors.com/contact-us/polished-concrete-tulsa/
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Parkwood-Beige-7-in-x-20-in-Ceramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-10-89-sq-ft-case-PD12720HD1P2/204417090
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Tile-Ceramic-Tile/Wood-Grain/N-5yc1vZarszZ1z0wlem

Quote from: zeebo on February 01, 2017, 02:25:46 AM
Articles coming up in the premiere HHG issue:

Stylish Accutron Color Options
Bolo Tie Display Cases
Pre-filled bookshelves (currently only Asimov, Clarke, and RCH Collected Works available)
Hair-grooming Mirror with Dedicated Live NASA Feed Inset
Comfy Couches to Sleep on After Arguments
LOL - Plus  "19.5 ways to incorporate the torsion field into your home remodeling projects"  ;D

I figured out what Hoagy has been up to. That Dick has been holding out on us. He's collecting all his combs and hairspray and prepping the underground bunker for the approaching E.L.E.
We're on to you Hoaxy !  This whole show has been nothing but a distraction to keep people occupied and try to get their money so he can stock his bunker with Accutrons, Torsion-Field generators, and gilded combs.
You're a rat, Hoaxy.    >:(
You figured you wouldn't tell us about this and hopefully we would be destroyed in the cataclysm. Well, we've got news for you...
The Peanut Gallery Will Survive To Torment You In The Aftermath...

MUWAAA-HAA-HAA-HAA         

Plenty of us have our own fully stocked bunkers too.

http://bendedreality.com/if-space-object-2016-wf9-were-to-impact-it-would-destroy-cities-cause-mass-tsunamis/

"  Dr Zakharovich believes the object could hit on February 16 sparking catastrophic tsunamis and causing the planet’s seas to boil. "

"  Dr Zakharovich said: “It is not conceivable that they do not know the truth. We have seen the data! "

(Let's see him resist that one.  ;)  )   

Ediot: I thought it was supposed to be Dr. Hans Zarkov.  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9kCCLwEga8

Oh, Zen...       It's good to see you back.   :)
Check this out...

http://bendedreality.com/nasa-finds-keyhole-shaped-structure-on-mars-too-difficult-to-explain/

Ediotski 2: I wonder if Dr Zakharovich knows about Hoaxy.  MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.   ???