• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

A Pending Merger - Possible Affect on Coast Major Markets?

Started by 11angeleyes11, April 21, 2011, 08:18:03 PM

11angeleyes11

That’s what Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Margaret Newkirk said about the pending deal that would see Cumulus Media acquire Citadel Broadcasting. Characterizing Atlanta-based Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey, Jr. as “a scion of a family radio dynasty from Ohio,” Newkirk says the proposed deal is generally being welcomed by Wall Street analysts “as a sign of life in the battered radio industry.” Offering a brief history behind the founding and growth of Cumulus Media, the feature also reports that Dickey (pictured) says it was the pain of the recent recession that precipitated his aggressive pursuit of Citadel, a move that will nearly double the number of stations that the company owns. In what could be a preview of how he views the future of a merged Cumulus/Citadel Dickey told the newspaper, “I really view the business model evolving to an integrated solutions provider that uses on-air to inspire and online to inform.” Upon regulatory approval of the sale, Cumulus will add some of America’s biggest News/Talker’s to the company’s holdings, among them major market icons WABC/New York, KABC/Los Angeles, KGO and KSFO/San Francisco, WLS/Chicago, WBAP/Dallas, WJR/Detroit and WMAL/Washington.
(Courtesy of NTS Media online)

I read this and since Coastgab, is well. . . about Coast, I thought that I would post it.  As you know the success of any syndicated show is how well they perform in the major markets.  Last year when WABC dropped Coast and added "Red Eye Radio.", I am sure it was quite a blow.  WLS, KGO, are both especially prominent and I believe carry Coast.  I guess my inquiry is what will happen when the merger is approved?  Will these markets sway to "Red Eye Radio" or will Coast be back on WABC?  I would think that it is going to be consistent accross the board and they will all carry Coast or not. . .

It might take some time for any fallout to be noticed it it affects anything.  I have not worked in this industry so I do not know specifically how rapidly these decisions are made.  I consider this as one of those wild cards and could be a factor of who and how the show will continue to be directed in the future.  It might be like a tree falling in a dead wood, or it could be like a ravishing tornado.  In the end, I remember reading of Fort Rock, remember him (?) talking about insider sources saying something about a major shift in the markets.  Maybe he was not far off.  Stay tuned, as George would interject.