• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

Jackstar

Dude, I said "ritualized," not "sensationalized." Fuckin' squid, get it together.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Jackstar on July 01, 2018, 03:06:35 PM
Dude, I said "ritualized," not "sensationalized." Fuckin' squid, get it together.

Oh.  Nevermind.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on July 01, 2018, 02:48:02 PM
If Joseph Smith could have produced even one of the golden plates that the angel Maroni led him to discover in the woods I might be a little more accepting of his story.  And then there's the magic underwear thing.   I dunno, maybe it's my Scorpian (Nov 6) synicism, or as I prefer to call it
low bullshit tolerance, but I don't buy it.

Yeah, I know what you mean  :-\  But with my Libran objectivity, to understand history it is less important whether something happened than that many people believe(d) it did.

I was raised Pentecostal so the idea of modern revelation holds no horrors for me -- we got it nearly every Sunday and it was among the dreariest experiences of my young life: Repent! repent!  It's the fact that Joseph Smith followed a trajectory of grandiosity that has become familiar -- prophet, manager of a (failed) bank for the Saints' wealth, militia leader, presidential candidate(!) -- that forces me to dismiss him as yet one more myth-making genius out for power.

Metron2267

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 01, 2018, 03:18:27 PM
It's the fact that Joseph Smith followed a trajectory of grandiosity that has become familiar -- prophet, manager of a (failed) bank for the Saints' wealth, militia leader, presidential candidate(!) -- that forces me to dismiss him as yet one more myth-making genius out for power.

+1!

Jackstar

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 01, 2018, 01:22:42 PM
I'm a little slow, but I learn. Lots of love, acid, tipi and sweat ceremonies, and raising kids and grandkids has saved me from myself.

I'm putting $150 on Cancer ascendant right here. Someone take my marker.

But with my Libran objectivity

YEAH WE SAW YOUR SELFIE. Yeesh.

WOTR

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 12:40:01 PM
Dude, are you for real? :o
Terribly sorry... But that is what Paul (supposedly) wrote.  I have friends who are practicing pagans (and one who flirts with satanism) and I would never say that they should follow that teaching.  If you are an atheist, I say that you need to actively ignore those words and live your life for yourself, ignoring the impact that your actions have on others.

However, if you claim to be Christian- that is a direct quote from the bible (and it says the same thing no matter what translation you use.)  Paul explicitly warns that "when you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ."  I'm sorry if you don't like the words- I'm sorry if what Paul wrote makes you uncomfortable.  A Christian is free to pick and choose what they follow- it is up to them.  But that is what was written by Paul to instruct the early church (again, if you buy that the bible is God's word.)

If, on the other hand you are an atheist, please feel free to laugh at the weak pussy, cuck that Paul must have been to write such drivel...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 04:08:14 PM
Terribly sorry... But that is what Paul (supposedly) wrote.  I have friends who are practicing pagans (and one who flirts with satanism) and I would never say that they should follow that teaching.  If you are an atheist, I say that you need to actively ignore those words and live your life for yourself, ignoring the impact that your actions have on others.

However, if you claim to be Christian- that is a direct quote from the bible (and it says the same thing no matter what translation you use.)  Paul explicitly warns that "when you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ."  I'm sorry if you don't like the words- I'm sorry if what Paul wrote makes you uncomfortable.  A Christian is free to pick and choose what they follow- it is up to them.  But that is what was written by Paul to instruct the early church (again, if you buy that the bible is God's word.)

If, on the other hand you are an atheist, please feel free to laugh at the weak pussy, cuck that Paul must have been to write such drivel...

Sin against who?

Jackstar

that is what was written by Paul

That's really just your opinion.

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 04:10:38 PM
Sin against who?
Sorry, MD.  If you follow it back, it was in reference to an earlier quote where we were talking about dietary laws in the bible.  I acknowledge that there are different ways to read / interpret the bible.  However, to me the warning is against using your freedom in Christ where others still see that freedom as sin.

The verse is specifically talking about your freedom to eat meat that was sacrificed to idols... I don't think that is a huge concern in today's modern world.  It is completely up to the individual if they take a verse specifically referencing food sacrificed to idols and extend it to other freedoms or not.  I would argue that passage does say that we are (at least, in part) responsible to ensure that even if our actions are righteous, that they don't harm others who may not believe that freedom is theirs as well...

As to "sin against who"- it says "For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol's temple, won't that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge."

I would argue that it is a sin against the "weak brother or sister" who you harm.  And that is extended to a sin against Christ.

WOTR

Quote from: Jackstar on July 01, 2018, 04:19:13 PM
That's really just your opinion.
Could I have added a few more phrases such as "Paul (supposedly) wrote" and "again, if you buy that the bible is God's word" to make it any more clear that is just my opinion that may or may not be shared by others?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
Sorry, MD.  If you follow it back, it was in reference to an earlier quote where we were talking about dietary laws in the bible.  I acknowledge that there are different ways to read / interpret the bible.  However, to me the warning is against using your freedom in Christ where others still see that freedom as sin.

The verse is specifically talking about your freedom to eat meat that was sacrificed to idols... I don't think that is a huge concern in today's modern world.  It is completely up to the individual if they take a verse specifically referencing food sacrificed to idols and extend it to other freedoms or not.  I would argue that passage does say that we are (at least, in part) responsible to ensure that even if our actions are righteous, that they don't harm others who may not believe that freedom is theirs as well...

As to "sin against who"- it says "For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol's temple, won't that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge."

I would argue that it is a sin against the "weak brother or sister" who you harm.

It really seems that admonishment is about the worshipping of false idols and not fundamentally about diet.

Metron2267

Sounded like you were endorsing it as your own...

QuoteHowever, if you claim to be Christian- that is a direct quote from the bible (and it says the same thing no matter what translation you use.)  Paul explicitly warns that "when you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ."  I'm sorry if you don't like the words- I'm sorry if what Paul wrote makes you uncomfortable.  A Christian is free to pick and choose what they follow- it is up to them.  But that is what was written by Paul to instruct the early church (again, if you buy that the bible is God's word.)

As anthologies go He certainly gets credit as the chief editor, if not in this earthly realm...

QuoteIf, on the other hand you are an atheist, please feel free to laugh at the weak pussy, cuck that Paul must have been to write such drivel...

And what if you're a pantheist, agnostic, or practicing Buddhist?

WOTR

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 04:27:26 PM

And what if you're a pantheist, agnostic, or practicing Buddhist?
Then only after a long mediation should you emerge to reveal the possible truth in the statement.  ;)

Kidnostad3

Yeah, I know what you mean  :-\  But with my Libran objectivity, to understand history it is less important whether something happened than that many people believe(d) it did.

I was raised Pentecostal so the idea of modern revelation holds no horrors for me -- we got it nearly every Sunday and it was among the dreariest experiences of my young life: Repent! repent!  It's the fact that Joseph Smith followed a trajectory of grandiosity that has become familiar -- prophet, manager of a (failed) bank for the Saints' wealth, militia leader, presidential candidate(!) -- that forces me to dismiss him as yet one more myth-making genius out for power.

I am a backslidden baptized Episcopalean (also known as the frozen chosen) but I have no problem at all with modern revelation.  At this point in my life I tend towards deism except that I do believe that at certain critical points in human history and the lives of men the Supreme Being can and has intervened and continues to do so.  One can always cite instances wherein he seems to have cruelly allowed innocents to perish and all manner of evil to take place but without the bad to contrast with the good, how would we even know what either is and be motivated to minimize the former and maximize the latter.  I also am convinced of the value to humanity of the central cannon of morality common to the great religions and many lesser religions and in the power of prayer. 

Metron2267

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 04:21:29 PM

The verse is specifically talking about your freedom to eat meat that was sacrificed to idols... I don't think that is a huge concern in today's modern world.

Oh I dunno...things have reverted way back lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wISwlWj7rW8

CNN Host Eats Human Brain at Cannibal Barbecue in India

https://www.ranker.com/list/unintentional-cannibals/katherine-ripley

People Who Didn't Know They Were Eating People

QuoteIt is completely up to the individual if they take a verse specifically referencing food sacrificed to idols and extend it to other freedoms or not.  I would argue that passage does say that we are (at least, in part) responsible to ensure that even if our actions are righteous, that they don't harm others who may not believe that freedom is theirs as well...

I would argue that it is a sin against the "weak brother or sister" who you harm.  And that is extended to a sin against Christ.

You might.

I'd say the individual has free will and can make their own call - ymmv...

Metron2267

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 04:23:59 PM
Could I have added a few more phrases such as "Paul (supposedly) wrote" and "again, if you buy that the bible is God's word" to make it any more clear that is just my opinion that may or may not be shared by others?

Lol, that's more backpedaling than a circus bike does... ::)

Metron2267

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 04:29:49 PM
Then only after a long mediation should you emerge to reveal the possible truth in the statement.  ;)
Why do you presume it to be possible?

Is the Levittcal prohibition of shellfish still in force today?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 04:23:59 PM

Gd5150

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 04:31:17 PM

Oh I dunno...things have reverted way back lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wISwlWj7rW8

CNN Host Eats Human Brain at Cannibal Barbecue in India

Maybe that’s why he killed himself.

WOTR

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 04:32:35 PM
Lol, that's more backpedaling than a circus bike does... ::)
And still it was not enough to keep from upsetting somebody who feels the need to point out that "it is just my opinion."  Gotta love Bellgab.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on July 01, 2018, 04:33:09 PM
Why do you presume it to be possible?

Is the Levittcal prohibition of shellfish still in force today?

Yeah, he might've actually been onto something there:

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/818505-overview

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2018, 04:37:43 PM
And still it was not enough to keep from upsetting somebody who feels the need to point out that "it is just my opinion."  Gotta love Bellgab.

You still haven't addressed my response that the quote seems to be more about the worshipping of false idols than diet. ???

PaulAtreides

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 09:24:37 AM
Fuck you, you piece of shit! You never learn and now I'm more determined than ever to troll you mercilessly. Get used to it, you fat, disgusting piece of human refuse! :D

This from a trailer dwelling short bus rider.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: PaulAtreides on July 01, 2018, 05:01:42 PM
This from a trailer dwelling short bus rider.

You just can't stop talking about your home. They say that happens to people who've been brutally sexually abused.

PaulAtreides

Quote from: 14 on July 01, 2018, 09:35:19 AM
I can touch my toes.  When else did you think I daydream?  Besides, that big toe reminds of your - oh hold on.  Coffee's done.
Unit 14

Hey, that's Stubby (a/k/a Two Pump) you're talking about.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: PaulAtreides on July 01, 2018, 05:03:51 PM
Hey, that's Stubby (a/k/a Two Pump) you're talking about.

Now you're talking about your daddy. Aw, that's sweet. :D

Rix Gins

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on July 01, 2018, 02:48:02 PM
If Joseph Smith could have produced even one of the golden plates that the angel Maroni led him to discover in the woods I might be a little more accepting of his story.  And then there's the magic underwear thing.   I dunno, maybe it's my Scorpian (Nov 6) cynicism, or as I prefer to call it
low bullshit tolerance, but I don't buy it.

The golden plates are holograms.  Sadly, the magic underwear things are not.

Dr. MD MD

Dems, you're all a bunch of insult hurling cowards, like single client clown here. ;D