• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 31, 2017, 07:07:53 PM
I get nervous with them batting in an NL park. I sure hate the DH in times like this.

Hill's done pretty well for an elderly journeyman with a ghastley delivery

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 31, 2017, 07:33:14 PM
Verlander on super cruise    :D

Dude's a stud. It's too bad he decided to leave Detroit. He still has a lot of fans around here who are now Astro's fans as of this season.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 31, 2017, 07:05:34 PM
Well Verlander has his run.   That's enough, right?

Sorry to say it wasn't enough.  The Dodgers tagged him for three.  Heh, heh.  Told you they would not win tonight.  Go Dodgers!!!

I'm still grumpy about the game being on Halloween though.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 31, 2017, 10:46:25 PM
Sorry to say it wasn't enough.  The Dodgers tagged him for three.  Heh, heh.  Told you they would not win tonight.  Go Dodgers!!!

I'm still grumpy about the game being on Halloween though.
Damn it. We'll get em manana. Apparently Hill purposely stepped off so the crowd could boo Gurriel. Funny, but lame. He should've made some epithet gesture or something funny, at least. Rainy here but still lots of trick-or-treaters and I almost ran out of candy. I run a strict regimen in which I only give one per kid, unless amazing costume. Also give out, Slim Jims and not just sugar crap. Luckily I did not run out of candy etc and resort to giving condiments (for kids I know I sometimes will throw in, without them seeing, condiments or BlackCat firecrackers, just to keep their parents on their toes and to wonder: "who is the cheap guy giving out 'free' catsup (I will use old spelling) and Jack-In-The-Box Taco sauce" or "who is giving kids firecrackers." Haha. Nothing bad and only to kids whose parents I know (and they, basically, have figured it out.) And the kid who will be happy with some good stuff to blow up an anthill or something. And who knows what those folks in LA give out on Halloween while watching the game. Shudder.
-Go 'Stros! Win in 7! BEAT LA!

Quote from: albrecht on October 31, 2017, 11:02:44 PM
And who knows what those folks in LA give out on Halloween while watching the game. Shudder.

....good stuff to blow......

Sounds about right.  LOL.  I guess it is better than getting a toothbrush though.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 31, 2017, 11:10:36 PM
Sounds about right.  LOL.  I guess it is better than getting a toothbrush though.
Haha. Some kids mentioned that actually. Some neighbor a few blocks away was doing so. Too old but I would say a good deal! Toothbrush: Utility, lasts longer, and one wants to keep their teeth! I don't think anybody, that I heard of so far, did stuff like old days. Which even then we, as kids, questioned. Like apples, homemade stuff ("popcorn balls?"), loose candy, etc. The rain, and game, kept me in and so neighborhood was relatively calm. Weeknight. Usually the adults get into it more and there is much drinking and better set-ups, and stories later. Still some decent ones and one "haunted garage" I saw being setup today driving by earlier today. I just did fake webs on trees and bushes, jack-o-latern (cooking seeds tomorrow,) switch out bulbs to red, and various fake skeletons and crap I've had for years.

A great many of these Dodger hitters seem so baby faced, you have to wonder if their Mom's know they are out of the house

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 01, 2017, 07:38:21 PM
A great many of these Dodger hitters seem so baby faced, you have to wonder if their Mom's know they are out of the house

You can read about some of Puig’s 13 attempts at defecting through Mexico and his cartel buddies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasiel_Puig

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 01, 2017, 07:56:17 PM
You can dead about some of Puig’s 13 attempts at defecting through Mexico and his cartel buddies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasiel_Puig

Guess I was thinking more about these two.  Puig is toxic

GravitySucks

Pretty cool!!!  Cubs last year, Astros this year. Yahoo!!!

Congrats to the Texas folks and condolences to the Cali crowd.  Dodgers could never get the big hit they needed tonight

albrecht

and a marriage proposal accepted. That would've been an odd feeling if she didn't accept. Win a WS and then get shutdown by girlfriend. She said yes though.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on November 01, 2017, 10:24:56 PM
and a marriage proposal accepted. That would've been an odd feeling if she didn't accept. Win a WS and then get shutdown by girlfriend. She said yes though.

https://twitter.com/baseballbros/status/925942182644764672

Congrats to the 'Stros, World Series Champs!
You beat the L.A. Dogs, and I love you for it.
Great series!

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 01, 2017, 10:19:58 PM
Congrats to the Texas folks and condolences to the Cali crowd.  Dodgers could never get the big hit they needed tonight

Same here.  Astros were better managed and they never gave up.  By the end of the 7th, I knew the game was over.  Dodgers manager, Dave Roberts, made 2 major errors in the series.  First he pulled Rich Hill out of the game too soon in Game 2.  Second mistake was starting Darvish instead of Kershaw tonight.  He compounded that mistake by leaving Darvish in far too long.  He clearly did not have good stuff from the start of the game. 

My congrats to the Astros.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 01, 2017, 11:14:41 PM
Same here.  Astros were better managed and they never gave up.  By the end of the 7th, I knew the game was over.  Dodgers manager, Dave Roberts, made 2 major errors in the series.  First he pulled Rich Hill out of the game too soon in Game 2.  Second mistake was starting Darvish instead of Kershaw tonight.  He compounded that mistake by leaving Darvish in far too long.  He clearly did not have good stuff from the start of the game. 

My congrats to the Astros.

This will be interesting.
Red Soz lost to the Astros as the #3seed and their manager gets fired.
Yankees lost to the ASTRO IN 7 as the wildcard challenger and their. Manager get fired.
Will the Dodgers Follow suit and fire Roberts?

The Cubs iept their manager but basically fired all of ther batting, pitching, bench and 3rd base coach. Aftergetting the WS 1 year and getting into the NLCS the next year.

These last two years have gotten my attention and has helped me have some fun tracking my teams through the summer. 

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 01, 2017, 10:19:58 PM

They hit the ball hard with runners in scoring position in the early innings, but it was right at somebody. Have a friend who got tickets to the, must be a let down.

ShayP

*Also posted this in Celebrity Deaths.

Former Major League pitcher, and 2 time Cy Young Award winner, Roy Halladay dies in a plane crash at the age of 40.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21331438/roy-halladay-40-dies-plane-crash-gulf-mexico

trostol

Quote from: ShayP on November 07, 2017, 03:29:10 PM
*Also posted this in Celebrity Deaths.

Former Major League pitcher, and 2 time Cy Young Award winner, Roy Halladay dies in a plane crash at the age of 40.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21331438/roy-halladay-40-dies-plane-crash-gulf-mexico

the entire city here is pretty numb over this

RIP Doc