• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Lisa Garr

Started by yumyumtree, May 10, 2014, 06:56:33 PM

FM451

It has come to this......

Checked the C2C website this morning, to see what was scheduled for Saturday Night/Sunday morning. George Knapp? Dave Schrader or Richard Syrett? Even a surprise appearance by Rob Simone or John B.?  NO!  It's the dreadful Lisa Garr, with a hot topic - The Magic Mushroom Show!  A thousand and one uses for the good old mushroom.  Come on, try paranormal topics, true crime, mysterious disappearances, political intrigues, a topic with some bite. Not the wonders of Mushrooms. Arghhhh!   >:(

I'm probably in the minority here but never was a fan of Ian - for a man of the cloth he seemed really full of himself, snarky, and overly-amused by his own stale jokes.  Bring on the Garr!  :P

zeebo

Quote from: FM451 on April 18, 2015, 03:46:41 PM
...Not the wonders of Mushrooms. Arghhhh!   >:(

Yeah but you left out the best part, all about compostin'.

kyleblack

Just went to tune in on my go to station KFI in Los Angeles.  Apparently they dumped the first half of the live Saturday show for a local show.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: kyleblack on April 18, 2015, 11:15:38 PM
Just went to tune in on my go to station KFI in Los Angeles.  Apparently they dumped the first half of the live Saturday show for a local show.

A sign of the times. I find Garr to be pretty laid with a soothing voice, but again pharmaceutical drugs is a topic for the first hour... and next hour is all about mushrooms which I love.

Juan Cena

Quote from: FM451 on April 18, 2015, 03:46:41 PM
It has come to this......

Checked the C2C website this morning, to see what was scheduled for Saturday Night/Sunday morning. George Knapp? Dave Schrader or Richard Syrett? Even a surprise appearance by Rob Simone or John B.?  NO!  It's the dreadful Lisa Garr, with a hot topic - The Magic Mushroom Show!  A thousand and one uses for the good old mushroom.  Come on, try paranormal topics, true crime, mysterious disappearances, political intrigues, a topic with some bite. Not the wonders of Mushrooms. Arghhhh!   >:(

A show on mushrooms? Connie Willis is gonna be so POed she's not hosting tonight.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 18, 2015, 11:33:16 PM
A sign of the times. I find Garr to be pretty laid with a soothing voice, but again pharmaceutical drugs is a topic for the first hour... and next hour is all about mushrooms which I love.

Pharmaceutical drugs = bad

Magic mushrooms = good

Hope someone picked out some acid rock from the 60s for tonight.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Juan Cena on April 18, 2015, 11:42:27 PM
Pharmaceutical drugs = bad

Magic mushrooms = good

Hope someone picked out some acid rock from the 60s for tonight.

I hope there is some talk of shrooms as I have been fond of them in the past... but "Joining Lisa Garr is fungi authority Paul Stamets, who'll discuss his discovery on how to use mushrooms to decompose toxic wastes and pollutants, catch and reduce silt from streambeds and pathogens from agricultural watersheds, as well as control insect populations, and generally enhance the health of our forests, gardens and bodies."

Juan Cena

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 18, 2015, 11:47:43 PM
I hope there is some talk of shrooms as I have been fond of them in the past... but "Joining Lisa Garr is fungi authority Paul Stamets, who'll discuss his discovery on how to use mushrooms to decompose toxic wastes and pollutants, catch and reduce silt from streambeds and pathogens from agricultural watersheds, as well as control insect populations, and generally enhance the health of our forests, gardens and bodies."

Yeah, now I really wish Connie Willis was hosting tonight.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Juan Cena on April 18, 2015, 11:54:06 PM
Yeah, now I really wish Connie Willis was hosting tonight.

I haven't heard the show for a while, and thank it will be ok with Garr/ Knapp in the captains chair. I wonder if Connie's cough attack was just her getting some harsh herb, hmmm.

paladin1991

Quote from: kyleblack on April 18, 2015, 11:15:38 PM
Yeah they did that a couple of weeks back.   As far as I know, without any announcement. 

pate

I come home from the bar tonight and the radio I left on was blathering on about hummus & fungus...  What epicurean delights are a foot tonight?  A new local food show in the late night? 

I dunno, but if they give up my secret morel grounds, there will be blood...

Juan Cena

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 19, 2015, 12:05:30 AM

I haven't heard the show for a while, and thank it will be ok with Garr/ Knapp in the captains chair. I wonder if Connie's cough attack was just her getting some harsh herb, hmmm.

You should do yourself a favor and try to find the show Connie did on Montauk Point a  month or so ago. Bizarre show made even more bizarre by a host on drugs.

trostol

Quote from: Juan Cena on April 19, 2015, 01:03:02 AM
You should do yourself a favor and try to find the show Connie did on Montauk Point a  month or so ago. Bizarre show made even more bizarre by a host on drugs.

i thought that show got her to be asked to never come back again

Juan Cena

Quote from: trostol on April 19, 2015, 02:51:43 AM
i thought that show got her to be asked to never come back again

Nope she was on last Saturday night.

aldousburbank

Enjoyed Lease A Car interviewing my old amigo Paul Stamets last night. Did any of you all listen or don't you give a crap about saving the earf?

Yes listened to most of it.  His point was that mushrooms r good mmkay!

scottydawg

Oh Gee, started out a good night. listened to SIT with Art for the 20 minute ride to work. Then started paperwork and vehicle check with Mizz Ceegur blathering on in the background. Quickly plugged my thumbdrive in and found Art Bell April 5, 1996, 4 hours of Open Lines.
Made the night a whole lot better then listening to Mizz Dingbat! :o

albrecht

The first guest wouldn't budge on Garr's attempt to get her to talk about "supplements for attention" (other than caffeine, Ritalin, and adderall) and also disagreed with Garr's idea that parental arguments are good for children and didn't seem to like Garr's comment that "you can say what bad things happened at the dinner table." Having said that I found myself perplexed by agreeing with what much of a C2C guest said, even though much of it was common-sense: kids need exercise and play in addition to school, too early/too long school without exercise etc is bad, don't give powerful drugs so easily to children for "conditions", less video-games/tv, don't fight around children, family is important, etc.

Though after googling her I'm guessing she is of the "Dr.Breggin" type which is almost as ridiculous as the people who think all children, and people, should be doped up. Why there are never any guests or "experts" who realize that there are middle-grounds.

Garr seems to be more interested in mushrooms. I wonder why.... ;)

Nick el Ass

Quote from: scottydawg on April 19, 2015, 11:17:58 AM
Oh Gee, started out a good night. listened to SIT with Art for the 20 minute ride to work. Then started paperwork and vehicle check with Mizz Ceegur blathering on in the background. Quickly plugged my thumbdrive in and found Art Bell April 5, 1996, 4 hours of Open Lines.
Made the night a whole lot better then listening to Mizz Dingbat! :o

I made it through a bit of the second guest, and the talk of shrooms... but Lisa's voice lulled me to sleep. I woke up, and it was a dark rainy day from there on out. Unlike a certain someone I believe in coincidences.

Well she does have a very soothing voice I don't blame you 8)

With Norry I'll fall asleep not so much because of the voice, but out of boredom at his kindergarten school of journalism questions.

I guess if I had to compliment Noory, I'd say he is a good cure for insomnia while Art always seemed to cause more insomnia, at least until the show was over.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 19, 2015, 04:15:56 PM
Well she does have a very soothing voice I don't blame you 8)

With Norry I'll fall asleep not so much because of the voice, but out of boredom at his kindergarten school of journalism questions.

I guess if I had to compliment Noory, I'd say he is a good cure for insomnia while Art always seemed to cause more insomnia, at least until the show was over.

I think Lisa would be fine if they gave her an fun topic, but the people booking the show refuse to play to most of their hosts strengths... and that makes for a snorefest on most nights. Perhaps even by design because they don't want anyone overshadowing Dave like John B. Wells if you buy his story. George Knapp can turn a boring topic into something special... and Art is the reason I'm a night person now.

yumyumtree

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 18, 2015, 03:58:46 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but never was a fan of Ian - for a man of the cloth he seemed really full of himself, snarky, and overly-amused by his own stale jokes.  Bring on the Garr!  :P

Men of the cloth ain't what they used to be.  That being said, I liked Ian, I think partly because I liked the types of guests and topics(usually) that were on when he hosted.

yumyumtree

Quote from: albrecht on April 19, 2015, 03:05:40 PM
The first guest wouldn't budge on Garr's attempt to get her to talk about "supplements for attention" (other than caffeine, Ritalin, and adderall) and also disagreed with Garr's idea that parental arguments are good for children and didn't seem to like Garr's comment that "you can say what bad things happened at the dinner table." Having said that I found myself perplexed by agreeing with what much of a C2C guest said, even though much of it was common-sense: kids need exercise and play in addition to school, too early/too long school without exercise etc is bad, don't give powerful drugs so easily to children for "conditions", less video-games/tv, don't fight around children, family is important, etc.

Though after googling her I'm guessing she is of the "Dr.Breggin" type which is almost as ridiculous as the people who think all children, and people, should be doped up. Why there are never any guests or "experts" who realize that there are middle-grounds.

Garr seems to be more interested in mushrooms. I wonder why.... ;)

To me, that's pretty much the whole trouble. It seems like  nobody understands the concept of "middle ground" in health matters, especially when it comes to nutrition.  That's why I liked this book called Diet Cults by Matt Fitzgerald which I discovered a few months ago. Finally some common sense.

Nebraska888

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GET RID OF GARR!!!  SHE IS PERFECT FOR NPR........

FIRE GARR.   

paladin1991

You know guys, I used have this really big thing for her aunt, Teri.

UFQuack

From the show description:

Jim Kwik, expert in speed-reading, memory improvement, and accelerated learning joins host Lisa Garr to discuss how anyone can dramatically enhance their mental performance and how we can all tap into the part of the brain that can make us superhuman.

What it really was: Another huckster pushing positive thinking and believing as the solution for everything.

Scully

Quote from: UFQuack on May 11, 2015, 01:21:31 AM
From the show description:

Jim Kwik, expert in speed-reading, memory improvement, and accelerated learning joins host Lisa Garr to discuss how anyone can dramatically enhance their mental performance and how we can all tap into the part of the brain that can make us superhuman.

What it really was: Another huckster pushing positive thinking and believing as the solution for everything.

I didn't bother to listen at all tonight.  Came here to see if anyone was reporting anything good I might have missed.  The interest here in Ms. Lee Cigar is underwhelming.  She really burned her candle quickly with this crowd.  :(