• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

M Knight

Quote from: GSD on August 21, 2011, 09:31:07 PM
He's really the last connection we have to days past, of simpler times, of respect for thy neighbor, of decency, and good old American ingenuity and spirit. 

As long as you have a connection to those values, they will continue on.  Savage is just a voice in a chorus, albeit a loud one.

The General

Quote from: GSD on August 21, 2011, 09:31:07 PM

Believe me on this, when Savage passes away, people are going to miss him.
Oh, absolutely.  He's my favorite for sure.  I've thought about what to do when he's gone... it's going to suck.  I've listened to his show almost every day!  For 10 years now.  I've even compiled a lot of 'best of' recordings that I can listen to when I feel like it.  When he's gone, somebody's going to have to start a Classic Savage Stream. 

Scully

Today it suited Savage's purposes to rip a new one for people like lefty Hal David who go to the gutter for their humor.  Interesting.

The General

Quote from: Scully on August 24, 2011, 10:26:05 PM
Today it suited Savage's purposes to rip a new one for people like lefty Hal David who go to the gutter for their humor.  Interesting.
Larry David.  Hal David wrote "Raindrops keep falling on my head."

GSD

Savage speaks truths, the problem is that many people have logic borders and CAN'T see what he's saying and misunderstand him.

If you listen to his show, consistently, he says things about different people, but it's often to the same theme said in various forms of articulation. Savage has a candor not seen in American radio today or yesterday. He's also tough, he's been fired, ridiculed, rejected, yet he still keeps up the fight. He's more than intelligent enough to make more money than he does through other enterprises, but he chooses to keep evangelizing decency, a belief in God, respect, courage, restraint, cute-humor, the simple pleasures of life, and ultimately hope after he's done screaming.

I just wish callers knew that they are fodder for his radio program when they call him and he treats them according to his mood, even when they are PRO-SAVAGE, it's all an act. He's actually showing his callers love by pecking order, it's an the acknowledgement they miss (you just got savage to respond in someway to you), LOL.

I love it when he destroys Barney Frank!

GSD

Quote from: The General on August 24, 2011, 12:51:19 AM
Oh, absolutely.  He's my favorite for sure.  I've thought about what to do when he's gone... it's going to suck.  I've listened to his show almost every day!  For 10 years now.  I've even compiled a lot of 'best of' recordings that I can listen to when I feel like it.  When he's gone, somebody's going to have to start a Classic Savage Stream.

Good to hear. You're preserving his great thought for future reference. People underestimate sound advice and commentary nowadays.

You can bet when I die that my two daughters are going to be good standing NRA members, versed in self-preservation, versed in good morals and respect for others, and Savage.

The only thing I can really pass on to my children is how to live the RIGHT way, and in the end, even if I was rich, I don't think I'd do it any different.

Scully

Quote from: The General on August 24, 2011, 11:29:29 PM
Larry David.  Hal David wrote "Raindrops keep falling on my head."

You are correct, Sir.  My bad.  :-[

Scully

Quote from: GSD on August 25, 2011, 12:00:25 AM
... he chooses to keep evangelizing decency, a belief in God, respect, courage, restraint, cute-humor, the simple pleasures of life, and ultimately hope after he's done screaming. ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the part I like. 

Savage is entertaining if you're near enough to the radio to turn it off during the "screaming."  ::)

onan

Quote from: Scully on August 25, 2011, 01:51:18 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the part I like. 

Savage is entertaining if you're near enough to the radio to turn it off during the "screaming."  ::)

MWS is all for the American way except for the part that allows differences in the American way then he wants to kill them.

He is not a nice guy. He is not brilliant. He is a hate monger with 2 degrees. Anyone is entitled to change their opinion. Anyone can rage against the machine. It isn't talent to focus hatred. It is pretty simple to find a target that appears to get something that someone else doesn't and vilify them.

Are their significant problems with immigration, welfare, education... ? of course. But decrying that is what is wrong with America is back fucking assward.

Weiner may strike a resonant chord with some of you; be careful of where that melody takes you.

Quote from: onan on August 25, 2011, 04:37:06 AM
MWS is all for the American way except for the part that allows differences in the American way then he wants to kill them.

He is not a nice guy. He is not brilliant. He is a hate monger with 2 degrees. Anyone is entitled to change their opinion. Anyone can rage against the machine. It isn't talent to focus hatred. It is pretty simple to find a target that appears to get something that someone else doesn't and vilify them.

I see where you're coming from, but I think it is possible to separate the views/perspective of a radio host from their ability to engage an audience.  Savage is certainly as shrill as they come, but also can relate personal anecdotes with a certain degree of warmth, as if he were that crazy relative you can't help but find fascinating. 

Weiner may strike a resonant chord with some of you; be careful of where that melody takes you.

Quite true.  Savage is a bit of a nutball, but if you can extract the entertainment value from it, he's worth a listen.  Sadly, I think the ability to think in greys, as opposed to black and white, has vanished from American political discourse.  And it didn't take that long.

onan

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on August 25, 2011, 07:34:59 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I think it is possible to separate the views/perspective of a radio host from their ability to engage an audience.  Savage is certainly as shrill as they come, but also can relate personal anecdotes with a certain degree of warmth, as if he were that crazy relative you can't help but find fascinating. 

Quite true.  Savage is a bit of a nutball, but if you can extract the entertainment value from it, he's worth a listen.  Sadly, I think the ability to think in greys, as opposed to black and white, has vanished from American political discourse.  And it didn't take that long.

I do not think that I am the transgressor of dichotomous thinking. Rather, I believe that is the meat and potatoes of the savage/weiner type. I find it frustrating to separate the supposed wisdom from the rest. The proportions are not satisfying enough for me. I also have enough crazy relatives to coddle. There is some value in everything; but I am not going to search a turd to find it.

If you find some comfort there, by all means enjoy. I do not. I spend much of my time in a world where dysfunctional thinking is the mainstay. I do not choose to add more to the mix.

Scully

Quote from: onan on August 25, 2011, 08:32:54 PM
... If you find some comfort there, by all means enjoy. I do not. I spend much of my time in a world where dysfunctional thinking is the mainstay. I do not choose to add more to the mix.

Uh ... I feel the need to say that, for my part, I live in the heart of a red state in a town that has few radio offerings.  When I'm in my car, I can choose between er ... "modern music", hymns, and right-wing "screamers." This is the only reason why I have some familiarity with Mr. Weiner/Savage.

There, I feel better.  ;)

I do not think that I am the transgressor of dichotomous thinking. Rather, I believe that is the meat and potatoes of the savage/weiner type. I find it frustrating to separate the supposed wisdom from the rest. The proportions are not satisfying enough for me. I also have enough crazy relatives to coddle. There is some value in everything; but I am not going to search a turd to find it.

Fair enough, though I was not attributing dichotomous thinking to you personally, just making an observation about modern politics in general. 

I'm not a regular listener of Savage's show, but if I happen to cross him on the dial, and he is NOT  talking about politics, I'm likely to linger a bit to hear him free associate.  His angry schtick and screaming doesn't entertain me, but I like hearing an intelligent mind when it wanders into more pleasant territory.

GSD

Quote from: onan on August 25, 2011, 04:37:06 AM

He is not a nice guy. He is not brilliant. He is a hate monger with 2 degrees. Anyone is entitled to change their opinion. Anyone can rage against the machine. It isn't talent to focus hatred. It is pretty simple to find a target that appears to get something that someone else doesn't and vilify them

Whether anyone is nice or not is debatable. Moot point. He IS a brilliant guy, add up his accomplishments, review his work, and this is hard to dispute. He is NOT a hate monger, he IS an entertainer, he IS an Actor, and he IS a showman. To say what you're saying means you either don't regularly listen to his show, or you do and don't get it, or you hear him talking, but you don't listen. AGAIN, like all talk show hosts, he's in the business of entertainment. You sound like a 60's war protestor, a proverbial hippy. Your comments are highly generalized and I could say the same thing about nearly every radio talk show host on the airwaves today.

He speaks the truth about many things, he knowingly goes too far at times because he knows it stirs people up, which means more people tune in, which means more people hear his limited sponsors.

He's an opportunist, it's the American way, right, wrong, or indifferent to some, RIGHTFUL no matter.

GSD

If you find some comfort there, by all means enjoy. I do not. I spend much of my time in a world where dysfunctional thinking is the mainstay. I do not choose to add more to the mix.

Using BIG words doesn't make you smart, this is mostly diarrhea of the mouth, you could have said the same thing by saying, "I don't agree with the opinions of Michael Savage and that I feel his thought is diseased". Simple.

onan

Quote from: GSD on September 03, 2011, 01:21:48 AM
Using BIG words doesn't make you smart, this is mostly diarrhea of the mouth, you could have said the same thing by saying, "I don't agree with the opinions of Michael Savage and that I feel his thought is diseased". Simple.

Noted, placed in the appropriate file. Thanks for your insight.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Eddie Coyle

For someone with an alleged "great wit", his nicknames for other hosts are lame and unimaginative.  And attacking other "conservatives" reveals his Trotskyite origins.

Limbaugh is the "Golfer"...see because he likes to golf...haha. Yes,Mr Weiner your "boating" is the sport of commoners.

Hannity is the "Wallbanger"..mocking Hannity's prior life as a carpenter. Ya know, an actual blue collar job, something ol' Mike "The Flower Picker" has never had.

O Reilly is the "Leprechaun". The idea of a 5'5" man labeling somebody 6'4" with this is pretty humorous...but gee, isn't the whole thing based on ethnicity. IMAGINE if another host mentioned Weiner's Russian-Jewish origins and used them as a launching point for ridicule.

Oh yeah, Mike's Jewish. Something he hid from his audience for years, as he talked about his mother "making meatballs in Brooklyn", most of Savage's "flyover" audience probably hearing "meatball" and "Brooklyn" and thinking Mike was Italian.

As fake as Glenn Beck...except Beck doesn't go to luncheons with Gavin Newsome,Willie Brown and Jerry Brown.

M Knight

Quote from: onan on September 03, 2011, 10:03:35 AM
Noted, placed in the appropriate file. Thanks for your insight.

Sent from my DROIDX

Heaven forbid one writes with words reflecting meaningful concepts.  "...diarrhea of the mouth" is another way of saying "I don't understand your big words, please write at the 8th grade level". :)

Silent

Quote from: M Knight on September 04, 2011, 05:23:14 PM

Heaven forbid one writes with words reflecting meaningful concepts.  "...diarrhea of the mouth" is another way of saying "I don't understand your big words, please write at the 8th grade level". :)

Onan probably sends me to google or the dictionary more often than anyone else here.  Your diarrhea is my education.  That's sick.

GSD

Quote from: M Knight on September 04, 2011, 05:23:14 PM

It's harder to make something simple than it is difficult. I have a very large vocab and intentionally suppress the use of large words unless absolutely necessary. Using uncommon or "large" words doesn't typically reveal one's intellectual capacity/capabilities, it can, but in most cases with Coast Gab, I see people MISUSING large words all of the time.

If you can't get it right using 8th grade level verbiage, don't use upper college English.

GSD

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 04, 2011, 03:53:17 PM

Hannity is the "Wallbanger"..mocking Hannity's prior life as a carpenter. Ya know, an actual blue collar job, something ol' Mike "The Flower Picker" has never had.

O Reilly is the "Leprechaun". The idea of a 5'5" man labeling somebody 6'4" with this is pretty humorous...but gee, isn't the whole thing based on ethnicity. IMAGINE if another host mentioned Weiner's Russian-Jewish origins and used them as a launching point for ridicule.

Oh yeah, Mike's Jewish. Something he hid from his audience for years, as he talked about his mother "making meatballs in Brooklyn", most of Savage's "flyover" audience probably hearing "meatball" and "Brooklyn" and thinking Mike was Italian.

As fake as Glenn Beck...except Beck doesn't go to luncheons with Gavin Newsome,Willie Brown and Jerry Brown.

Eddie,

Regarding "The Wallbanger", Savage doesn't condemn blue collar workers, in fact the polar opposite, he glorifies the blue collar worker as the backbone of America, I agree. He's poking fun at Hannity because he thinks he's a clown for publicizing to have been a carpenter in an effort to say, "I KNOW WHAT IT IS TO BE BLUE COLLAR AMERICAN!!" In this sense, Hannity is a clown and a fraud, go work like a Mexican migrant farm worker for a day and then come tell a story. Don't get me wrong, Hannity's pretty good, I like him, but Savage is just poking fun at HIS "Schtick".

Savage LOVES the Irish people by the way, the whole "Leprechaun" moniker for O'Reilly is intended to be funny, I think because of the contrast between O'reilly's massive frame, yet he exhibits the characteristics of a Leprechaun, LOL. It's a little stupid, I'll give you that, but it's entertaining and I get a chuckle nearly every time I hear him say it (I know you're a Southie native by the way, assuming you're as Irish as you can get em', I am half with an Italian Mother =).

I do agree though, if you said anything "cute" related to his Russian-Jewish origins, he'd turn it into an Anti-Semitic rant. Many people lost respect for him in using a "Stage Name" to begin with.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: GSD on September 04, 2011, 10:58:05 PM
Eddie,

Regarding "The Wallbanger", Savage doesn't condemn blue collar workers, in fact the polar opposite, he glorifies the blue collar worker as the backbone of America, I agree. He's poking fun at Hannity because he thinks he's a clown for publicizing to have been a carpenter in an effort to say, "I KNOW WHAT IT IS TO BE BLUE COLLAR AMERICAN!!" In this sense, Hannity is a clown and a fraud, go work like a Mexican migrant farm worker for a day and then come tell a story. Don't get me wrong, Hannity's pretty good, I like him, but Savage is just poking fun at HIS "Schtick".

Savage LOVES the Irish people by the way, the whole "Leprechaun" moniker for O'Reilly is intended to be funny, I think because of the contrast between O'reilly's massive frame, yet he exhibits the characteristics of a Leprechaun, LOL. It's a little stupid, I'll give you that, but it's entertaining and I get a chuckle nearly every time I hear him say it (I know you're a Southie native by the way, assuming you're as Irish as you can get em', I am half with an Italian Mother =).

I do agree though, if you said anything "cute" related to his Russian-Jewish origins, he'd turn it into an Anti-Semitic rant. Many people lost respect for him in using a "Stage Name" to begin with.

Regarding Hannity, I don't disagree with you on the whole, but I've always felt that "Savage" was a bit elitist towards him. Clearly, Savage is far smarter and more well read than Hannity...

Savage can be of two minds regarding the Irish, I've heard him effusively praise them and often is complimentary, but he's also been rather harsh toward them on occasion, a few times regarding Ireland's neutrality in WWII and then conflating Pat Buchanan's beliefs about WWII with the beliefs of Joe Kennedy Sr and seeming to think their opinion was shared by most Irish Catholics.He seemed to overlook that one small point-that Ireland's neutrality was obviously more anti-British than pro-German, as a student of history he's remiss in not mentioning that. An aside... Actually, Buchanan is more German than Irish ancestrally.

Yup you guessed it, my real name is even more "Gaelic" than Eddie Coyle.

Frys Girl

I think Savage is jealous of the mainstream, major success of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, and Noory. Instead of attacking L, H, or B, Savage should switch to idiot Noory. Guess Noory is that much of a non factor in the radio business.

GSD

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 04, 2011, 11:23:27 PM
   Regarding Hannity, I don't disagree with you on the whole, but I've always felt that "Savage" was a bit elitist towards him. Clearly, Savage is far smarter and more well read than Hannity...

Savage can be of two minds regarding the Irish, I've heard him effusively praise them and often is complimentary, but he's also been rather harsh toward them on occasion, a few times regarding Ireland's neutrality in WWII and then conflating Pat Buchanan's beliefs about WWII with the beliefs of Joe Kennedy Sr and seeming to think their opinion was shared by most Irish Catholics.He seemed to overlook that one small point-that Ireland's neutrality was obviously more anti-British than pro-German, as a student of history he's remiss in not mentioning that. An aside... Actually, Buchanan is more German than Irish ancestrally.

Yup you guessed it, my real name is even more "Gaelic" than Eddie Coyle.

You bring up good points, I never knew of his "neutrality" comments, interesting. The thing I hate about him is when someone actually does ding him on something valid, he cuts them off before they can finish, this is cowardly IMHO. I like him a lot, but I don't like everything about him, I do think he's about the best on the radio however. I like Bill O'Reilly too, Savage is a little condescending regarding Bill, until he's face to face with him, for which he talks his way around him. He knows Bill would stomp his ass into the ground if he said the wrong thing, so he trudges carefully, LOL =)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: GSD on September 05, 2011, 01:37:44 AM
The thing I hate about him is when someone actually does ding him on something valid, he cuts them off before they can finish, this is cowardly IMHO.

This has always rankled me, but after listening to other TRN shows, it's clear to me that it's endemic to all of their broadcasts-they have the worst production- in particular, handling phone calls. There's always some delay issue, it often sounds disjointed and conversations get chopped up. Inevitably, neither one can hear the other, they talk over each other etc.

IMO, the absolute master of the radio argument was Bob Grant. "Get off my phone, you creep" ;D ...never failed to crack me up.

Scully

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 04, 2011, 03:53:17 PM

... Oh yeah, Mike's Jewish. Something he hid from his audience for years, as he talked about his mother "making meatballs in Brooklyn", most of Savage's "flyover" audience probably hearing "meatball" and "Brooklyn" and thinking Mike was Italian. ... 

There are people who don't know Savage is Jewish?  ;)

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 05, 2011, 01:59:10 AM
IMO, the absolute master of the radio argument was Bob Grant. "Get off my phone, you creep" ;D ...never failed to crack me up.
Bob Grant was great.

Eddie, I don't think you dislike Savage as much as you think.  I think you'd find that you would really miss his show if it ceased to exist.  You're obviously a regular listener, I can tell by your commentary.  Just embrace it.  You're a fan. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on September 05, 2011, 10:13:56 AM
Bob Grant was great.

Eddie, I don't think you dislike Savage as much as you think.  I think you'd find that you would really miss his show if it ceased to exist.  You're obviously a regular listener, I can tell by your commentary.  Just embrace it.  You're a fan.

I used to listen to Savage, but haven't in the past year or so. When he's focused and sticking to socio-political issues/history, he can be a compelling host. Far too frequently he's not focused and the chatter about boating/Teddy/dining with the panjandrums of the Bay Area or recycling passages from his books like "Dead Man's Pants" is a turnoff.

Another thing that drove me away...his strenuous 8 hour work week. One day off a week is a given, and usually unannounced until that "you're listening to encore segment" jive pops up. And Savage's third hour is a sham. Insert a canned "Oh My God" every 30 seconds...

The only active host I'll call myself a real "fan" of is Phil Hendrie. I'll miss him...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Scully on September 05, 2011, 03:27:38 AM

There are people who don't know Savage is Jewish?  ;)
Haha, I asked the same question.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on September 05, 2011, 10:40:37 AM
Haha, I asked the same question.

I know it sounds impossible with Savage's accent...but I worked with a few rubes who didn't realize he was Jewish. A few thought he was Italian, another genius said "Savage" is a English name...

Never underestimate the gullibility of the average radio listener.