• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

SaucyRossy

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 11:01:41 PM
I have a lot of respect for Kaku. I would like to see the complete transcript of the interview and not just (postulating here) a bunch of cherry picked quotes to write an article that is exciting.

It's direct quotes you can watch from a VIDEO he is in where he says those exact words, not an over exaggerated cherry picked article.

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:03:15 PM
Dude, here's a fact that he and others have said. If there was a massive comet cloud blocking sunlight, there would be a large infrared signature observed due to the massive amounts of dust and particles being warmed up by the sunlight it's obstructing. There was no infrared signature. Fact.

i didnt say it was a comet..but your sounding like Dick now my friend..your championing this being an alien megastructure like he does with his mars and pluto crap

no one knows..time will tell and thats what many scientists are saying..we need more time to observe

and i am not meaning it as an insult..yer just ..fanatical about it it seems lol

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on October 29, 2015, 11:04:30 PM
I hope the GIS crew shows up tomorrow.  Has that been confirmed yet?

Art hinted at it, I hope so!

Tyson is giving us a "history of the '60s". Considering that he was 5 years old when he says it began with the Beatles appearing on Ed Sullivan I think we can safely discount his expertise. Some of us were a good deal older and as the saying goes, if you can remember the '60s you weren't there.

AppealPlay

WHY ARE WE FIGHTING?

This is what the aliens want.  It's divide and conquer. 👽

chefist

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 11:02:07 PM
Actually we may never know, i could be something that occurs often in space, just think we only recently discovered black holes, there may be many other anomalies we dont understand.
Its a vast place to explore, we haven't even explored our own oceans much, space is a bit larger!
All kinds of shit out there we cant comprehend.

Women...

SaucyRossy

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 29, 2015, 11:04:52 PM
I'm suspicious that the WISE infrared/spactra data might not lign up with the flux dips. All they say is the data was taken at Q5, I don't know what that means.

This will come if they can observe it again, which they most likely will. And from an article I just read it said they may be able to tell what type of artificial materials the objects are made of IF its artificial on the next go around.

PrairieGhost

I'm watching Bob Ross paint on mute while listening to Art. Pretty freaking cool!

zmbabwe

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:06:27 PM
Tyson is giving us a "history of the '60s". Considering that he was 5 years old when he says it began with the Beatles appearing on Ed Sullivan I think we can safely discount his expertise. Some of us were a good deal older and as the saying goes, if you can remember the '60s you weren't there.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:06:27 PM
It was part of his book-learnin'...just like all that science he knows. He was there, man, he was there.

Robert

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:03:15 PMDude, here's a fact that he and others have said. If there was a massive comet cloud blocking sunlight, there would be a large infrared signature observed due to the massive amounts of dust and particles being warmed up by the sunlight it's obstructing.
Not if the cloud was very far away from the star.

AppealPlay

Quote from: PrairieGhost on October 29, 2015, 11:07:47 PM
I'm watching Bob Ross paint on mute while listening to Art. Pretty freaking cool!

Nice little aliens...it's your the alien's world.

sydtron

wow! The russians are progressive.  They had the first black person.

ShayP

You'd fall asleep if he wasn't on mute.  ;D  Love the guy...but I never saw the end of a show.  ;)

inuk2600

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:03:15 PM
Dude, here's a fact that he and others have said. If there was a massive comet cloud blocking sunlight, there would be a large infrared signature observed due to the massive amounts of dust and particles being warmed up by the sunlight it's obstructing. There was no infrared signature. Fact.

I wonder if it's a very reflective coma, it may not radiate much ir, but they would block the light by reflecting it.

Tyson just dissed the entire American space program except for the Moon landing. Seems the Soviets did everything important before us including all of the math for calculating rocket trajectory. Who knew Robert Goddard was Russian?

GravitySucks

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:05:16 PM
It's direct quotes you can watch from a VIDEO he is in where he says those exact words, not an over exaggerated cherry picked article.

I said postulating didn't I. I can't watch the video and listen to the show on my eye phone 😎

OK. I bet you a sawbuck it's not a Dyson Sphere.

p.s.  Was the video edited?

Zenman

I'm digging Neil. He's got a great, sorta warped sense of humor. He should post here.

Quote from: sydtron on October 29, 2015, 11:08:35 PM

They won't have the first "gay" though...  ::).

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 11:09:47 PM
I said postulating didn't I. I can't watch the video and listen to the show on my eye phone 😎

OK. I bet you a sawbuck it's not a Dyson Sphere.

p.s.  Was the video edited?

was a short interview on CBS or something..small segment..and that was literally the last i had heard about it on mainstream lol

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 11:05:49 PM
i didnt say it was a comet..but your sounding like Dick now my friend..your championing this being an alien megastructure like he does with his mars and pluto crap

no one knows..time will tell and thats what many scientists are saying..we need more time to observe

and i am not meaning it as an insult..yer just ..fanatical about it it seems lol

Ok first off, kiss my ass for that comment.

Second off, we are having a discussion, one which I'm giving you facts that I've read, not my opinion and you're accusing me of being fanatical. That's absurd. Apparently, you don't like having a normal discussion? I've said it's entirely possible it's natural. I'm only playing the devils advocate due to the fact that their are so many people who don't seem to understand what's been said or haven't actually done their own reading on the subject.

chefist

Quote from: ShayP on October 29, 2015, 11:08:51 PM
You'd fall asleep if he wasn't on mute.  ;D  Love the guy...but I never saw the end of the show.  ;)

He was a CIA operative that "clicked on" assets in the field by the frequency of his voice...the death rate associated with the airing of his show soared...

zmbabwe

Quote from: Zenman on October 29, 2015, 11:10:17 PM
I'm digging Neil. He's got a great, sorta warped sense of humor. He should post here.

Nah, he's not a hater.

coaster

The internet has a boner for Bob Ross, but no one knows that he stole his style from the man who taught him how to paint, and then started selling his art supplies, directly competing with the guy. He is the painting world's Leo Ashcraft.

Quote from: sydtron on October 29, 2015, 11:08:35 PM

They had the first everything except for that minor part about landing on the Moon, according to Tyson.

GravitySucks

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 29, 2015, 11:09:10 PM
I wonder if it's a very reflective coma, it may not radiate much ir, but they would block the light by reflecting it.
I still think it could be a portal to a parallel universe where someon left the light on and the portal unlatched. When the interstellar wind blows the portal hatch open the light gets brighter and then the hatch slowly starts to close.