• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Spock's FishingGab Thread.

Started by MR. Spock, April 17, 2016, 05:06:17 PM

coaster

Quote from: The General on April 17, 2016, 09:33:55 PM
That's me on the left.  35 years ago.
I didn't see this picture before. This is what I like to see. i'm gonna have to unload some pictures in this thread.

akwilly

I pulled up a shrimp pot today. Had about 15 shrimp and an octopus. Who knows how many shrimp that bastard ate

pate

How many trouser-trout does that half-a-Picard net Yew?

Lilith

Nice to see some pics of some bellgabbers!   ;D

I posted this elsewhere, but I guess I should have posted it here...So I'll post it here as well.

Quote from: brig on April 17, 2016, 09:49:45 PM
When I was young, my brother and my parents and I used to row out in a boat in a lake, untill one day, I was rolling in the line, and this huge ugly black catfish face loomed out of the water at me, and I threw it back in the lake, fishing pole and all.  My brother tried to save the fishing pole by trying to use a net to get the fish with the hook in it, but alas his valient attempts failed.  After that, my brother and parents would leave me on the shore with our dog.  One day, as I sat on the shore watching them, I got lonely, and decided to go in to rent a boat.  I loaded myself and our dog, into the row boat and started rowing out.  My parents and brother waved to me politely, trying to smile.  As I rowed closer to their boat, our dog picked up their scent, got all excited, and even tho I had his lead hooked safely, he tried to jump out of the boat to swim to them, and over went myself and the boat.  That was the last time we ever went fishing together as a family.    :-[ :-\ :( :o :'(

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on April 18, 2016, 08:34:09 AM

I posted this elsewhere, but I guess I should have posted it here...So I'll post it here as well.

Excellent story Brig. Glad you posted it here. Glad you could swim too!

Lilith

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 18, 2016, 08:39:53 AM
Excellent story Brig. Glad you posted it here. Glad you could swim too!

It's a TRUE story too!  although once I grew up, I DID fish with my family off of piers here and there.

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on April 18, 2016, 08:43:42 AM
It's a TRUE story too!  although once I grew up, I DID fish with my family off of piers here and there.

It was a cold February in New Braunfels, Tx (which means like 45). I took my 5 year old son down to the lake below town to fish.  He had one of those little snoopy zebcos and I had put the snap swivel on the first eyelet to keep the line from getting tangled. No hook or bobber on it yet. He goes running ahead and I tell him not to cast until I get down there and rig up his line.

My son has never been able to hear the word "not". He gets down there, tries to cast, and plop, the fishing pole goes into the lake.

Now the water is only about 4 feet deep at the dock and he can see the pole at the bottom of the lake and starts crying and asking me to get it for him. I strip down to my undies and jump in the water, because of course I am a dad. While I am trying to get back out of the water, shivering to the bone, this little dog comes from out of nowhere, grabs my shirt and hauls ass faster than any dog I have ever seen run.

Never saw my shirt or the dog again. Had to go back to the house and get warm and a new shirt. We did go back down fishing later. Because of course I am a dad.

Lilith

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 18, 2016, 08:52:53 AM
It was a cold February in New Braunfels, Tx (which means like 45). I took my 5 year old son down to the lake below town to fish.  He had one of those little snoopy zebcos and I had put the snap swivel on the first eyelet to keep the line from getting tangled. No hook or bobber on it yet. He goes running ahead and I tell him not to cast until I get down there and rig up his line.

My son has never been able to hear the word "not". He gets down there, tries to cast, and plop, the fishing pole goes into the lake.

Now the water is only about 4 feet deep at the dock and he can see the pole at the bottom of the lake and starts crying and asking me to get it for him. I strip down to my undies and jump in the water, because of course I am a dad. While I am trying to get back out of the water, shivering to the bone, this little dog comes from out of nowhere, grabs my shirt and hauls ass faster than any dog I have ever seen run.

Never saw my shirt or the dog again. Had to go back to the house and get warm and a new shirt. We did go back down fishing later. Because of course I am a dad.

I guess I wasn't the only one in the world, ever threw away a fishing pole  :-[

GravitySucks

When my son was 4, I would take him to my sister's so we could "fish" in her catfish pond. Not wanting to lose an eye (yet), I would rig up his little snoopy zebco with a bobber and just a bullet sinker (no hook). If I hooked a fish, I would let him reel it in using my pole. But he was too wild with casting to trust him with a hook.

We were having fun one day and all of a sudden I was knocked to my knees with a pain I cannot describe. I couldn't even stand up. I reached up to the side of my my head to feel fishing line coming out of my ear. 

My son tried to cast as hard as he could, and the bullet weight (examples below) shot right into my ear canal. The line was still attached, so it was kind of easy to pull out. No blood, no permanent damage, but it was about 2 hours before I could walk straight.

This friend looks at the fishing line and says "How's he gonna catch anything with that, it doesn't even have a hook on it."  My son says "How come my line doesn't have a hook on it daddy?" 

If I could have walked straight, that "friend" would have ended up in the pond.

We had quite a few fishing outings, but I look back now and wish we had gone a lot more.

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on April 18, 2016, 09:02:56 AM
I guess I wasn't the only one in the world, ever threw away a fishing pole  :-[

At least yours had a fish!  😘

3OctaveFart

Spock-
What kind of rod and reel for the trout?

Lilith

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 18, 2016, 09:13:00 AM
At least yours had a fish!  😘

Fish is one of my favorite foods, but I can't eat it after I've seen it caught.

Grov505th

So..between trips back and forth from VA to AF, I seem to go to Disney World...a tleast once a year.   I found out that you can go fishing at many of the lakes on the Walt Disney Properties.
Its not cheap, but hey I got to blow all this deployment money some how.
So here is a picture of one of the Large mouths that I caught.

I also own a 16 foot Lund boat.....but I have yet to put it in the water.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Grov505th on April 18, 2016, 09:22:22 AM
So..between trips back and forth from VA to AF, I seem to go to Disney World...a tleast once a year.   I found out that you can go fishing at many of the lakes on the Walt Disney Properties.
Its not cheap, but hey I got to blow all this deployment money some how.
So here is a picture of one of the Large mouths that I caught.

I also own a 16 foot Lund boat.....but I have yet to put it in the water.

Nice bass.

Grov505th

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 18, 2016, 09:23:40 AM
Nice bass.

thats one of the smaller ones....My wife is on the board down at one of the marinas with about a 6 pounder.  that one was only 4

albrecht

Ha. I remember one funny incident. We were trolling for land-locked salmon in the Lake Pend Oreille using one of those elaborate, and not cheap as I recall, "Christmas tree" rigs of flashers, spoons, etc and my dad was baiting the hook and then just tossed it over the side, I guess assuming he or someone had already tied it onto the line. He hadn't. And we watched it sink, flashing away, into the depths while he cursed. We all still make fun of him for it.

Lilith

Quote from: albrecht on April 18, 2016, 10:50:01 AM
Ha. I remember one funny incident. We were trolling for land-locked salmon in the Lake Pend Oreille using one of those elaborate, and not cheap as I recall, "Christmas tree" rigs of flashers, spoons, etc and my dad was baiting the hook and then just tossed it over the side, I guess assuming he or someone had already tied it onto the line. He hadn't. And we watched it sink, flashing away, into the depths while he cursed. We all still make fun of him for it.

Now I don't feel so bad.  We only had cheap ones lol's

Yes Brig,  some good looking fisherman on here.

whoozit

That's not me but it is my grilse in Newfoundland.  Heading back there again in July.

Lilith

Quote from: VENUS FIREBALL XL5 on April 18, 2016, 12:22:26 PM
Yes Brig,  some good looking fisherman on here.

They all make me proud to be a bellgabber!!!

GravitySucks

Quote from: Grov505th on April 18, 2016, 09:28:32 AM
thats one of the smaller ones....My wife is on the board down at one of the marinas with about a 6 pounder.  that one was only 4

I am sure we would prefer the picture of your wife's bass.

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 18, 2016, 02:33:31 PM
I am sure we would prefer the picture of your wife's bass.

ha ha ha that is so funny

MR. Spock

Quote from: brig on April 18, 2016, 02:30:23 PM
They all make me proud to be a bellgabber!!!
all cool bellgabbers are fishermen

Lilith

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 18, 2016, 03:00:33 PM
all cool bellgabbers are fishermen

I had kind of suspected that, the very first day I joined bellgab.

Gruntled

Stripers off Martha's Vinyard.
Me in middle happy. :)
At Quabbin  for smallmouths
Up for 2 days outrunning Ophelia- finally.

Gruntled

When I was young, my brother and my parents and I used to row out in a boat in a lake, untill one day, I was rolling in the line, and this huge ugly black catfish face loomed out of the water at me, and I threw it back in the lake, fishing pole and all.  My brother tried to save the fishing pole by trying to use a net to get the fish with the hook in it, but alas his valient attempts failed.  After that, my brother and parents would leave me on the shore with our dog.  One day, as I sat on the shore watching them, I got lonely, and decided to go in to rent a boat.  I loaded myself and our dog, into the row boat and started rowing out.  My parents and brother waved to me politely, trying to smile.  As I rowed closer to their boat, our dog picked up their scent, got all excited, and even tho I had his lead hooked safely, he tried to jump out of the boat to swim to them, and over went myself and the boat.  That was the last time we ever went fishing together as a family.    :-[ :-\ :( :o :'(

Brig, that is a great story. Thank you for posting it.
Hell, I threw a brand new Shakespere [sp?] rod into the drink accidently just a few years ago!
I still getting razzed over it by guys.

Haha!  I enjoyed your fishing story brig!  I used to spend my summers in Minnesota with my dad.  Land of 10,000 lake?  You could look at it that way, or you can just call it one giant swamp.  We spent a lot of time fishing.  Loved it!  But my proudest moment was watching our son catch his first fish...and it was a whopper!  LOL.  My brother-in-law helped him with his pole and whatnot while I took the pictures.  A very fond memory. 

Lilith

The Fishermen of bellgab,  Who'da thunk?  Wonderful pictures and stories here!   ;D :-*

dipp

Quote from: brig on April 18, 2016, 07:58:09 PM
The Fishermen of bellgab,  Who'da thunk?  Wonderful pictures and stories here!   ;D :-*

agreed.