• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Diaspora invite anyone?

Started by elbee, April 26, 2012, 02:15:49 PM

MV/Liberace!

i'm pretty sure i did receive a diaspora invite a while back because i submitted my email address way back when diaspora was nothing more than an idea.  however, when i received the invitation email, the link to sign up returned  a 404 error.  still does.

MV/Liberace!

now i'm in my diaspora account, but i don't see anywhere to send you an invitation.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 26, 2012, 05:01:02 PM
now i'm in my diaspora account, but i don't see anywhere to send you an invitation.

Look for "invite your friends" there should be a link to do it via email. at least mine does. i signed up here: https://redblack.me/users/sign_up

Morgus

what is diaspora?
is it like a torrent site?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on April 29, 2012, 05:51:39 PM
what is diaspora?
is it like a torrent site?

it's an open source facebook competitor.  you can install it on your own server and create your own social network if you wanted to, or you can make your diaspora installation a part of the main diaspora social network.  at least, that's MY understanding of it.

Morgus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 29, 2012, 09:01:29 PM
it's an open source facebook competitor. 
ugh, just another social networking site?
on a recent episode of the tv show Person of Interest, the computer privacy expert observed that social networking sites provided the ability for them now to get lots of private information on people since they freely volunteered it there, that they couldn't have gotten by other methods.  8)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on May 01, 2012, 02:51:55 PM
ugh, just another social networking site?
on a recent episode of the tv show Person of Interest, the computer privacy expert observed that social networking sites provided the ability for them now to get lots of private information on people since they freely volunteered it there, that they couldn't have gotten by other methods.  8)

if you could go back 20 years in time and show a PI what tools he'll have at his disposal in 2 decades, he'd be SHOCKED at how easy his job will one day become.

LacyWoodrow

Wow, that site has taken off since I first heard about it. I remember shortly after it's launch. It was still in beta mode. I had completly forgotten about it until now.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 25, 2012, 09:45:10 PM
Wow, that site has taken off since I first heard about it. I remember shortly after it's launch. It was still in beta mode. I had completly forgotten about it until now.

what was it that made you say this?  i haven't heard anything about diaspora in a long time, so i assumed it never went anywhere.