• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

MikeJ

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on March 03, 2014, 11:11:01 PM
So is anybody else finally easing back in to listening to old Art shows?  Taken me a while but I just listened to my first full show since November, the Officer X show posted elsewhere on the board.

Yes, I had been listening to Dark Matter live before going to bed, but I was down in Jazmunda's territory for 2 weeks, so I got back into listening to Art Bell Always. 

ItsOver

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on March 03, 2014, 11:11:01 PM
So is anybody else finally easing back in to listening to old Art shows?  Taken me a while but I just listened to my first full show since November, the Officer X show posted elsewhere on the board.

Not here.  I'm still too traumatized.  Just hearing Art's voice makes me feel like Charlie Brown.  Oh, the horror.

dan7800

I've kind of started to listen again. I mostly like the older shows from the 90's. The DM stuff still hurts too much.

jazmunda

Quote from: dan7800 on March 05, 2014, 08:08:46 PM
I've kind of started to listen again. I mostly like the older shows from the 90's. The DM stuff still hurts too much.

Agreed. I'm mostly listening to mid to late 90s stuff. I tend to stay away from 2006 + and I have not re-listened to any DM shows as that wound is still very raw.

NowhereInTime

I miss Art.   :'(

jazmunda

This week's SIT sounds great:

"Art Bell: Somewhere in Time journeys back to January 11, 2002, where Art presided over an edition of Open Lines which asked the listeners, "if you were God, what would you do differently?"

I love themed Open Lines.

Once again thank you to the Premiere and C2CAM overlords for providing us with new lost classic Art Bell shows each week. One night of Art Bell awesomeness makes up for 5 nights of George Noory suckage.

Quote from: jazmunda on March 08, 2014, 05:10:19 AM
This week's SIT sounds great:

"Art Bell: Somewhere in Time journeys back to January 11, 2002, where Art presided over an edition of Open Lines which asked the listeners, "if you were God, what would you do differently?"

This one is pretty good.
A lady talked about her cat had its throat torn open and she wrapped tape around the cat. The cat left the house and never returned.

We also learned: Art hates Duke of Earl and the In the Jungle the Lion Sleeps Tonight song.

FallenSeraph

Ohhhhhh no, the AM station here in Memphis has replaced SIT with a homegrown radio show: a little old lady talking about crafts, sponsored by a local insurance company. 

I don't have the words right now . . .

b_dubb

Quote from: Seraphim27 on March 08, 2014, 10:20:32 PM
Ohhhhhh no, the AM station here in Memphis has replaced SIT with a homegrown radio show: a little old lady talking about crafts, sponsored by a local insurance company. 

Stream SIT from another station in another market. WHIO still airs SIT. Try the TuneIn app.

MikeJ

Quote from: b_dubb on March 08, 2014, 10:23:42 PM
Stream SIT from another station in another market. WHIO still airs SIT. Try the TuneIn app.

Or the I Heart Radio app.

Does anyone know where somewhere in time shows are being archived by someone. Gandalf used to do it but he went silent.

Are the SIT shows still opening with The Chase? I tried two stations at 10pm Eastern and it seemed like both were joined in progress, opening with different songs. Is Premiere shortening the SIT shows or do some stations carry more of the show than others?

dan7800

Why do I check back here everyday to see if anything has changed (when I know it has not)?

Quote from: dan7800 on March 12, 2014, 08:48:27 AM
Why do I check back here everyday to see if anything has changed (when I know it has not)?

I give up; why?

Quote from: dan7800 on March 12, 2014, 08:48:27 AM

Well, if you mean that you check to see if there is any actual news about a possible return for Art, I'm with you.  I check this thread once a week or so just in case there actually is something (such as Art fighting the non-compete clause).  It's sort of like rooting for the Milwaukee Brewers I think:  every year you hope they might actually make some noise; every year they disappoint.

He ain't comin' back lol.

Really. He's not.

ItsOver

I just want to see if he's quit coming back or he's quit quitting.

Just riffing (off-topic) on my above post, which are the worst teams to root for? Does it get worse than being a big Padres fan?  Oh, cheering for the Detroit Lions can't be any picnic....

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 12, 2014, 10:52:51 AM
Just riffing (off-topic) on my above post, which are the worst teams to root for? Does it get worse than being a big Padres fan?  Oh, cheering for the Detroit Lions can't be any picnic....

I used to love watching the Reds play in Riverfront stadium as a kid. Man, those were the days; Rose, Bench, Morgan, Foster and then welcoming  McCovey, Mays, Clemente, on and on, to Cincinnati. It doesnt get any better!!

I have a very close friend who pitched for the Braves during those glory years (Hank, Felipe, Orlando, etc.). The stories he has...wow.

You mentioned some of the names I grew up idolizing (back when I thought ballplayers were pretty much like the rest of us and the backs of their trading cards would say, "In the off-season, Merlin Olsen runs a travel agency with his brother Phil."

I also really respected the Orioles of that era:  the Robinson's (Frank and Brooks), Palmer, McNalley, Cuellar, Dobson (the last foursome on one team to all have won 20 games each in a single season!), the Booger Man at first (Boog Powell)....  Willie Pops Stargell...

As a southern California lad, I followed the Angels and Dodgers.  I remember damn near crying the day I found the Angels had traded my favorite player, shortstop Jim Fregosi, from some wild-thing pitcher for the Mets:  some clown named Nolan Ryan.   ::)

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 12, 2014, 12:28:22 PM
You mentioned some of the names I grew up idolizing (back when I thought ballplayers were pretty much like the rest of us and the backs of their trading cards would say, "In the off-season, Merlin Olsen runs a travel agency with his brother Phil."

I also really respected the Orioles of that era:  the Robinson's (Frank and Brooks), Palmer, McNalley, Cuellar, Dobson (the last foursome on one team to all have won 20 games each in a single season!), the Booger Man at first (Book Powell)....  Willie Pops Stargell...

As a southern California lad, I followed the Angels and Dodgers.  I remember damn near crying the day I found the Angels had traded my favorite player, shortstop Jim Fregosi, from some wild-thing pitcher for the Mets:  some clown named Nolan Ryan.   ::)

OMG, yes! The Orioles! I loved Boog, Brooks, Palmer....wow..the memories.

Yep, that kid, Ryan, did ok lol. I remember when the Reds picked up Tom Seaver from the METS. One of the happiest days of my life!

BTW, I am so jealous you had the legendary, Vin Scully, (trivia: X-Files creator, Cris Carter - Dodgers fan - named his Character, Special Agent, "Dana Scully", after Vin) and I had...Marty Brennamen  ::)

Foodlion

Quote from: Seraphim27 on March 08, 2014, 10:20:32 PM

Bateman would have a hayday with that show.  ;D

ItsOver

Maybe it is Bateman.  ;)  Has the little old lady mentioned pranking Noory?  ;D

I did not know that about Carter naming Dana Scully after Vin -- interesting.  I can recall throwing a tennis ball against the garage door and playing whole nine-inning games (my fielding determining hits and outs) while announcing them in the voice of Dick Enberg... usually my California Angels against the Detroit Tigers of the Al Kaline era.  Ah, good times....

Oh, wait... isn't this supposed to be about Art Bell?...  Uh, come back, Art!

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 12, 2014, 12:41:55 PM
BTW, I am so jealous you had the legendary, Vin Scully... and I had...Marty Brennamen  ::)
Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 12, 2014, 01:51:03 PM
I can recall throwing a tennis ball against the garage door and playing whole nine-inning games (my fielding determining hits and outs) while announcing them in the voice of Dick Enberg... usually my California Angels against the Detroit Tigers of the Al Kaline era.  Ah, good times....

All 3 of those guys are so great. Scully is a national treasure. Scully now splits time with the other broadcasters Rick Monday(excellent) and Charlie Steiner (horrible). 
I don't like any of the younger announcers though on most of the networks.

I sort of have a soft spot for Charlie Steiner from his days announcing fights with ESPN... my late father was an amateur boxer and a big boxing fan. I can recall a lot of evenings in my younger years watching the fights with my pop.  I can recall when a young Mike Tyson showed a lot of raw potential!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 12, 2014, 10:52:51 AM

Hey we got Golden Tate today! GO LIONS!

Restore the Roar V 50.4

b_dubb

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 12, 2014, 12:41:55 PM
BTW, I am so jealous you had the legendary, Vin Scully, (trivia: X-Files creator, Cris Carter - Dodgers fan - named his Character, Special Agent, "Dana Scully", after Vin) and I had...Marty Brennamen  ::)

I have fond memories of listening to Marty and Joe call Reds games.