• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell's financial situation

Started by RecoveringNoorholic, December 24, 2013, 11:51:44 PM

There's a common meme among Bellphiles that goes like this: "Art Bell is a millionaire, he has no money concerns."

Does anyone know if that's actually true?

According to this published bio, he was an enlisted U.S. airman, then spent a number of years as a local radio DJ in a small market, then scored a 6-year gig (1994-2000) hosting a national radio call-in show, briefly ran a mail-order pizza seasoning business, and has spent the last 13 years doing occasional part-time, weekend-only/fill-in work.

Does 6 years as a national radio host make you "set for life?" Or does he have "no money concerns" because he's frugal and a good saver? I'm guessing he made a few hundo each of his 6 years working, lived a relatively austere lifestyle and so set most of it aside, and scored a lump-sum in his sale to Premier. I assume he is earning about $80K a year or so off a million-five in investments, plus $15K from social security?

jazmunda

The only way to really know the truth is to email Art. I'm sure he loves those kinds of emails.

artbell@artbell.com

Report back your findings. ;) :P

weeberwubber

The thought that money is not an issue for Art is largely propogated by Art saying that money is not an issue for him and he doesn't need to make any more.

Aaaaaaand so it's not an issue for anyone AFAIK.

onan

Art stated on the first Gabcast, "it's not money, money I have." He also sold the show to Premiere. I thought that was for several mill. I could be wrong. All that being said, I am not sure what difference it makes.

I would think that if finances were a problem he would have continued with his show. The fact that he didn't, at least to me, suggests his concern for consequences for walking out on a contract was small to non-existent.

Since a large percentage of the discussion on this section of the site revolves around speculation as to Art's motivations for potentially doing "A" or "B" in the future, or for having done "C" or "D" in the past (and, indeed, the entire section is titled "Art Bell"), and, since many people have claimed he is a "millionaire" [sic], I think Art's finances are a germane topic of inquiry and analysis right along with his favorite foods, music, and everything else that is discussed here in furtive and solemn tones.

McPhallus

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on December 24, 2013, 11:51:44 PM
Does anyone know if that's actually true?

We're not entitled to nitpick his finances any more than he's entitled to nitpick ours.  The general knowledge is that he's "well off," unless he has a gambling or crack problem that hasn't come to light.

b_dubb

DanTSX

Don't let the fact that he is the world's richest trailer park resident fool you.  He has the money.

You also left out the cable company that he was involved with. 

The sale of C2CAM to PremRat was in the $10M+ range.  His salary on the show was probably good, but not too much to start, then went up as affiliates were added.

I don't think Art likes to live too large.  He indulges in the things that he likes.  RV's, Radios, Antenna farms, hi-rise condos in Manila, young women, foreign travel.    Dude has radios that cost like $8k hooked up to $4000 amplifiers and $20k antennas just to talk to his buddies that he could call on a $200 iPhone.

Who cares if he has $40M or $4M.  He took the risk, and earned it.  He built the genre and has taken not a single dollar out of any of our pockets for it until some of us tried to pay for Dark Matter.  Prior to that, it was all advertisers paying him indirectly.

DanTSX

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on December 25, 2013, 08:04:47 PM
Since a large percentage of the discussion on this section of the site revolves around speculation as to Art's motivations for potentially doing "A" or "B" in the future, or for having done "C" or "D" in the past (and, indeed, the entire section is titled "Art Bell"), and, since many people have claimed he is a "millionaire" [sic], I think Art's finances are a germane topic of inquiry and analysis right along with his favorite foods, music, and everything else that is discussed here in furtive and solemn tones.

He did Dark Matter for $75k/yr. 

Rush Hour DJ's almost make that much.

If Art was after money, don't you think he would hold out for more? 

Morgus

Remember Art Bell sold his independent radio show after he got it up to around 500 affiliates to the big Clear Channel empire.
He probably got a lot of money out of that sale, plenty for his retirement...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on December 25, 2013, 09:58:01 PM
Remember Art Bell sold his independent radio show after he got it up to around 500 affiliates to the big Clear Channel empire.
He probably got a lot of money out of that sale, plenty for his retirement...

i thought he gave a number in the art of talk.

steelbot

Quote from: DanTSX on December 25, 2013, 09:22:35 PM
Don't let the fact that he is the world's richest trailer park resident fool you.  He has the money.

You also left out the cable company that he was involved with. 

The sale of C2CAM to PremRat was in the $10M+ range.  His salary on the show was probably good, but not too much to start, then went up as affiliates were added.

I don't think Art likes to live too large.  He indulges in the things that he likes.  RV's, Radios, Antenna farms, hi-rise condos in Manila, young women, foreign travel.    Dude has radios that cost like $8k hooked up to $4000 amplifiers and $20k antennas just to talk to his buddies that he could call on a $200 iPhone.

Who cares if he has $40M or $4M.  He took the risk, and earned it.  He built the genre and has taken not a single dollar out of any of our pockets for it until some of us tried to pay for Dark Matter.  Prior to that, it was all advertisers paying him indirectly.
That's definitely the best way i've seen it described yet -and agree 100% - the way it's went down, Art was showing his age a bit in decisions is all, and his not so necessarily crack team behind the push to move to a web only situation.  If that had been applied before contractual terms with sirius, he could still be doing the show and would have started off that way.  He just didn't research it enough to know the limitations of sirius is my thought on the matter.

Jackstar

I just remote viewed all of Art's wealth, and it turns out to be much larger than any of you think it is.

Art has plenty of money. I wonder if he ever decided to fight his nc. He went back and forth on that issue before declaring it was to time consuming. But hey if he did decide to fight it , it would be first time he changed his mind.

McPhallus

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 25, 2013, 11:24:46 PM
Art has plenty of money. I wonder if he ever decided to fight his nc. He went back and forth on that issue before declaring it was to time consuming. But hey if he did decide to fight it , it would be first time he changed his mind.

I doubt he ever seriously planned to fight the NC.  By the time Sirius came back with a firm NO, he probably realized he had no ground to stand on and figured it wouldn't be worth the time.

DanTSX

Quote from: McPhallus on December 25, 2013, 11:55:07 PM
I doubt he ever seriously planned to fight the NC.  By the time Sirius came back with a firm NO, he probably realized he had no ground to stand on and figured it wouldn't be worth the time.

Not to turn this into a "can Art fight the NC" thread, but these are always possible to settle out of court.

Usually, it depends on the defendent's cash situation.  Do they want a windfall now, risk legal costs, or face possible revenue loss Iff they do settle.  SXM would lose C2CaM listeners and they have are currently well funded, so they are probably not interested in essentially selling Art back his show rights.   And Art probably doesn't want to pay them for what he views as "his" property.

bigchucka

Quote from: b_dubb on December 25, 2013, 09:11:40 PM
What's next? Is Art circumcised?

Since I watched The Quest For The Holy Foreskin, I guess the next question would be did he save it?

MV/Liberace!

art's debit card... does anyone know if it's visa or MC?  or does he prefer checks?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on December 26, 2013, 02:56:43 PM
art's debit card... does anyone know if it's visa or MC?  or does he prefer checks?

Diners. Maybe American Express.

I can see him being old school and rocking a check book.

He probably travels with travellers checks.

bigchucka

Quote from: jazmunda on December 26, 2013, 03:01:03 PM
Diners. Maybe American Express.

I can see him being old school and rocking a check book.

He probably travels with travellers checks.

Older school than that.  "Junk" silver and gold coins.

Grov505th

I am thinking pieces of eight and gold doubloons...you see he actually did get the treasure that Dames RVed for him, he just never told anyone so he wouldnt have to pay taxes on it....

we're all only a divorce away from eating cat food

MV/Liberace!

does art bell have any certificates of deposit?  those aren't really a very good investment vehicle, and i think art should be apprised of this if he hasn't already been.

bigchucka

Quote from: MV on December 26, 2013, 06:52:03 PM
does art bell have any certificates of deposit?  those aren't really a very good investment vehicle, and i think art should be apprised of this if he hasn't already been.

I would think maybe a bit, but not most.  If the banks would collapse and he had more than FDIC insured, he'd been screwed.  He was advertising gold when it was low as hell... also I'd guess property... maybe tech stocks also...

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on December 24, 2013, 11:51:44 PM
...and has spent the last 13 years doing occasional part-time, weekend-only/fill-in work.

I think you answered your own question. If Art's done virtually nothing for 13 years, odds are he's okay for money.