• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Here's the number for Sirius: 888-601-6302
I just cancelled and told them because Art Bell QUIT!

Wintermute

Some folks said it was Art's way out of doing the show. I disagreed, but now that this has come to pass, I think they were correct.

Quote from: fave on November 05, 2013, 07:30:10 AM
Maybe he has serious mental issues, what else could explain this? Would it have been so hard for him to "tough" it out for a little while on air while they figure out an alternative way to do the show?  Certainly would have shown more respect for those of us who have spent good money with Sirius.

Or maybe it's just his way of pushing his weight around with Sirius so they relent and give in on the free live streaming.

Jackstar

How long is the non-compete?

jinwicked

Well, I had a feeling Dark Matter was a little too good to be true. Happy to be wrong. Sorry to be right.

It takes time to rebuild an audience when you have been gone so long. You won't get millions of calls and fans again overnight.

You can make excuses about streaming problems or lack of access, but they're just that in the end: excuses. It takes time and work.

Art Bell, your show will always be a wonderful part of memories from Good Times in my life. But this was it. It's over.

Quote from: jinwicked on February 05, 2013, 11:05:15 PMThis is purely speculation on my part, but I would about guarantee Art never hosts his own show again. Guest hosting someone else's, maybe. You have someone who is an old man. Who has a devoted Internet following, but has been out of the public eye long enough for his name recognition to have significantly diminished. Rather than going out with a bang, he retired and came back so many times that people quit taking it seriously. I love the guy, but even I rolled my eyes. He flickered and faded away long before finally cutting his ties with C2CAM.

You do not walk that kind of career path without a certain amount of ego. This is one reason Noory and Wells are so insufferable: they are full of themselves with glaring flaws that make them sometimes unbearable to listen to. Knapp is a journalist primarily interested in reporting and research, which makes him easier to listen to. Then you have someone like Art that comes along once every few decades in their field. Someone with a forceful personality, the right amount of egotism, and the talent to back it up. What's the saying, lightning in a bottle?

But there has to be some part of him that realizes he will never be as successful as he was in the past. Radio itself isn't what it used to be. Noory will ride his gravy train into the ground. He gives no fucks and will scratch and claw any way he can to remain relevant and in the public eye. Art doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would be happy with his new show the first time someone called and asked, "Art Bell who?" It's a lot easier mentally and emotionally to remember the Good Old Days and think I could have that again if I wanted it, rather than put yourself out there and risk failure. That failure can be absolutely soul-crushing. This is not a judgement on Art. He doesn't owe anyone anything, and I'm grateful for the years of radio he did provide.

ItsOver

Quote from: fave on November 05, 2013, 07:30:10 AM
Maybe he has serious mental issues, what else could explain this? ...

I just think after the initial thrill of being back on the air wore off, Art was looking for a way out, back to retirement.  I've known people like Art.  After the raccoon gets tired of playing with the new,shiny thing, it just walks away.

Jackstar

Quote from: bateman on November 05, 2013, 10:29:01 AM
Years. It's over.
I meant, the new non-compete, I know the last one is over.

I wonder if there is an NDA on the NCA? Brb, CIA.

Quote from: bateman on November 05, 2013, 10:29:01 AM
Years. It's over.

Keith said 2 years over at the Facebook page for ArtBell.com. And like bateman said, Art is done. If Art thought his listener-base was small now, imagine a 70 year-old Art Bell doing a show streaming solely on his website. It would basically be The Kevin Smith Show. And that's no knock on Kevin - he was probably the best non-Art Bell host in the genre, and his dedication to doing nightly shows on a shoestring budget was admirable. It's a real shame that he passed away suddenly earlier this year.

Quote from: Jackstar on November 05, 2013, 10:38:08 AM
I meant, the new non-compete, I know the last one is over.

I wonder if there is an NDA on the NCA? Brb, CIA.

And that's what bateman meant, too. "It's over" means Art's career - there's no coming back from the stunt he pulled last night.

Yeah I don't see any network taking art now. The only exception would be as a guest host. That's about it.

b_dubb

Maybe Art has Avoidant Personality Disorder. Onan?

ItsOver

Quote from: b_dubb on November 05, 2013, 11:20:20 AM
Maybe Art has Avoidant Personality Disorder. Onan?

With due respect to Onan, here's my layman's diagnosis.  Art = flake = An unreliable person; someone who agrees to do something, but never follows through. - Urban Dictionary.

Wonder if Sirius will run an Art replay or just go back to running jay re runs.

DanTSX

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 05, 2013, 11:49:07 AM
Wonder if Sirius will run an Art replay or just go back to running jay re runs.

They should replay Dave's interview with John Oates.    24/7

fave

Did no one find it odd that Art even mentioned that he was asking Sirius to allow free streaming for the live shows? I certainly did. To go on air and ask that a pay per play radio company to do something completely against how it operates is absurd. There was no major talk about problems with streaming, if it weren't for Art talking about it I wouldn't have known. He could have simply kept it in the background and dealt with Sirius. I'm pretty sure it was just a rouse to setup an excuse for leaving.

Jackstar

Quote from: fave on November 05, 2013, 12:55:44 PM
Did no one find it odd that Art even mentioned that he was asking Sirius to allow free streaming for the live shows?
There were pages and pages of discussion about how odd it was, for weeks. Before now.

Welcome to The Internet! I hope you will find it useful.

grano salis

Quote from: DanTSX on November 05, 2013, 12:17:46 PM
They should replay Dave's interview with John Oates.    24/7
;)

Looks like devoted fans were taken "for a ride".  Art is pretty vocal about Sirius XM's "problems" but less insightful about his own:  1) to compete with C2C, he needed a better guest roster which required more preparation evidentally. 2) Art himself limited his subject material so severely that he boxed himself in. 3)Not everybody has "land lines" Art.  Blaming all this on cell phones is hokey. 4)  Art needed a GOOD producer. 5)  Art may be a "flake" but I think he just likes to fight with competitors--which is OK if you can stay the course. 6) Halloween shows are what they are-holiday diversions.  The Halloween shows on C2C have been silly for years.  Art had a decent show with "Spooky Matters" and a built in fan base.  He shouldn't be bad mouthing his fan base now. 7) The UFO alien paranormal format needed a fresh approach.  It can be done with interesting guests and materials.  Art just may not have been up to the challenge.

fave

Quote from: Lunger on November 05, 2013, 07:42:39 AM
I was month to month but they gave me a refund of the unused balance.

That was easy gave me my balance back no problems

Foodlion

I wonder if I Art's merchandise would be worth something years down the road. I might get a piece before he pulls it down.

Lunger

I am really going to miss not hearing Graham Hancock.

Plus, I never got a chance to call-in and confront Ed Dames about him being a fraud.  I was kind of really looking forward to that.

Spooky Matter

So nice to have this site, which will need to revert its name!  Alright then, I say it's back to George Noory Sucks  ;D

Christ, YOU SUCK NOORY!  Make my night punk!

Art> 🌚🌗🌕    No Art> ☁️☁️☁️   Making fun of Noory> ⛅️☀️️️️

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on November 05, 2013, 10:34:15 AM
I just think after the initial thrill of being back on the air wore off, Art was looking for a way out, back to retirement.  I've known people like Art.  After the raccoon gets tired of playing with the new,shiny thing, it just walks away.
Yep, I noticed a change in Art's tone in his voice after the first week or two.
He seemed very happy that first couple weeks, but quickly his tone changed around the time of the John Hogue interview.
Then in the last couple weeks he was having on Noory reject guests (Ghostbuster Gals, The Dream Team, etc) - blah...
Plus he had multiple Fukishima nuclear disaster guests on, thats like John B. Wells...

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on November 05, 2013, 11:33:59 AM
With due respect to Onan, here's my layman's diagnosis.  Art = flake = An unreliable person; someone who agrees to do something, but never follows through. - Urban Dictionary.
so does that make Noory "old reliable"?  :P

Spooky Matter

Quote from: Morgus on November 05, 2013, 01:52:49 PM
Yes and agreed with all you just said.  His tyrants about strangling and killing people were so Michael Savage.  And the complaining, I wasn't digging that and felt he should not have mentioned all those little stories about what was going on here and there.  It kind of turned me off.  Like when someone tells U they need to go take a dump, too much information.

I kind of hate my nick now too.  Is there any way to change it cause I feel real dirty  :-[

"Raging in the night"=shitting the bed

the writing was on the wall with the alleged spider bite, back problems, DC phone malfunctions, dog ate my homework BS

the icing on the shit cake is Hogue's already gloating and Dave probably won't be far behind

guess now we know how the first wife felt

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on November 05, 2013, 01:52:49 PM

Hah!  You can always count on Jorch.  Well at least for one thing.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=3.0

Morgus

Quote from: Spooky Matter on November 05, 2013, 01:59:20 PM
I kind of hate my nick now too.  Is there any way to change it cause I feel real dirty  :-[
Send a PM request to change your username to MV (the admin)

Spooky Matter

Quote from: Morgus on November 05, 2013, 02:26:20 PM
Send a PM request to change your username to MV (the admin)
Thx Morgus cause I don't feel like waiting till next Halloween to see ....

Quote from: ItsOver on November 05, 2013, 10:34:15 AM

None of us really know, but assuming there is more to the story than what he told us, I agree this is the likely reason. 

I think he liked the idea of coming back, showing he was still as good as ever, having his old cronies like Hoagland back on the air, talking to the callers, sticking it to George Noory.

But it may well be he found out he also liked being retired.  Can't do both.

I had a feeling 3 hours a night, 4 nights a week might end up being more of a commitment than he wanted.  Then he upped it to 4 hours.  Had a real bad feeling when he started talking about going back to the Philippines, changing his money over and all that.

He should have done a weekend show, maybe Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun, or at least started out that way.