• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things that bring me joy....

Started by West of the Rockies, July 19, 2013, 03:21:12 PM

We've got a "things that annoy us" thread, so how about one that focuses on things we like?

I am a sucker every damn time for those Daddy/Mommy is coming home from Iraq videos.  Love 'em....

Girls in their summer dresses... model rockets... campfire stories... a really good grilled burger... a starry night... an ice-cold beer... banana slugs lumbering over moss... women with sparkly purple (or bubblegum pink) toenail polish... the crack of the bat... a well-sung rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner"... the smell of books... looking at the world with wonder....

How 'bout you?  In the words of Ross Miller, "Wanna take a ride?"

Taking my dog for a walk. Its fun too see how happy the dog is that its going for a walk.

coaster

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 19, 2013, 03:21:12 PM
campfire stories... a really good grilled burger... a starry night... an ice-cold beer..
indeed.
I really enjoy fishing. Nothing quite like being at a lake with a beer in one hand and a rod in the other. Nature brings me joy. Those brisk mornings in the winter where you can see your breath, thunderstorms in the spring and summer. Hiking and camping. Animals. Art. Reading a good book. The craziness when I'm with my family and friends, and the peaceful quiet and solitude when I'm alone. I don't think there is a better companion than a dog. I love dogs.
Nice topic.

Juan

A young woman brings her dogs almost daily to a vacant lot across the street.  She releases the dogs from their leashes and lets them run and chase each other.  Their absolute joy is infectious.

HorrorRetro

Dogs.  Trying to go to sleep while I have a pug curled up behind my knees and another one tucked into my stomach, and they're both snoring.  ;D   Fruit trees and watching my garden grow.  Thunderstorms.  1970's movie of the week scary movies -- thank God for YouTube and those who have saved and uploaded them.  Military aircraft flying over.  I act like a 5-year-old little kid when I see them.  Baking the perfect loaf of bread.  Seeing the Golden Gate Bridge.  Autumn. 

lonevoice

I just saw this video today.   A returning serviceman reunited with his dog after six months.  From reading the replies here, this might bring a bit of joy to a few others, as it did to me:

http://zanylol.com/friend.html

onan

dogs... absolutely,

Some of the people that post here... even the ones I don't agree with.

sitting quietly with my wife (probably should have put this one first)

Early morning walks... not all the time mind you.

A good meal with friends.

(Ok, smarmy button is turned off)

stevesh

Not trying to suck up, but I'm really happy that MV is making decent money from this site. The most literate forum on the Web, I think.

Quote from: stevesh on July 20, 2013, 04:39:23 AM
Not trying to suck up, but I'm really happy that MV is making decent money from this site. The most literate forum on the Web, I think.

I`d like to second that sentiment. This is the best forum on the interwebs, manned by some pretty savvy MF`ers.

Hope you make an assload of loot, MV. And I`m not talkin` just any ass, either

Helen Thomas

Dead at 92

Oh, wait....is this "things that bring you joy"? Why, I believe it is.

Sardondi

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 20, 2013, 07:59:06 AM
Helen Thomas
Dead at 92
Oh, wait....is this "things that bring you joy"? Why, I believe it is.
And here I thought I was the only curmudgeon small enough to smile at the news of the death of some old harpy. I even felt the same way about Mary McGrory's death. But it's not really all that bad, because I'll bet that in her life Helen Thomas laughed her wideload ass off many times at the news of a death. That was one ugly, mean-spirited facsimile of a woman.

And now I'll just segue into....
Quote from: lonevoice on July 19, 2013, 04:12:41 PM
I just saw this video today.   A returning serviceman reunited with his dog after six months.  From reading the replies here, this might bring a bit of joy to a few others, as it did to me:...
I started watching "returning serviceman" vids, and I was just a blob of blubbering jelly

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Sardondi on July 20, 2013, 10:22:10 AM

And now I'll just segue into....I started watching "returning serviceman" vids, and I was just a blob of blubbering jelly

Me too.  This dog video posted above is one of the best I've seen.  That dog was so happy.  :)   I wish I would have thought to tape our dogs' reactions when my husband got home earlier this year, but I was too excited to even think about it.  Needless to say, our dogs were extremely happy to see him again.

Quote from: Sardondi on July 20, 2013, 10:22:10 AM

And now I'll just segue into....I started watching "returning serviceman" vids, and I was just a blob of blubbering jelly

Yeah, that`s great stuff. I could watch it all day, myself. I just thank God these kids are being greeted in such high regard. A real sea change from when my generation came back from deployments. We were treated like....well...not so great.

CampsieNP

That video was priceless. I just forwarded it to all my fellow dog rescuers.
Thank you. And, yes, it brought me great joy.

Eddie Coyle

My neuroses and superstitious nature makes me fear putting a jinx on anything I actually enjoy...but here goes.

Living near the ocean. I'm no seafarer,I burn like a lobster, so I avoid the beach and I'm not a sailing type(my ex-in laws belonged to a yacht club and my God the most pompous Judge Smails types just infested the place) but living in close proximity to the water is the great ameliorator for me. It almost makes me ignore the bullshit and blight surrounding me.

Now I'll definitely be hit by rogue wave later tonight, slip on seaweed into Boston Harbor and wash up on Cape Cod beach in late October after being ravaged and eaten by bluefish for three months.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 20, 2013, 03:34:44 PM
        My neuroses and superstitious nature makes me fear putting a jinx on anything I actually enjoy...but here goes.

Living near the ocean. I'm no seafarer,I burn like a lobster, so I avoid the beach and I'm not a sailing type(my ex-in laws belonged to a yacht club and my God the most pompous Judge Smails types just infested the place) but living in close proximity to the water is the great ameliorator for me. It almost makes me ignore the bullshit and blight surrounding me.

Now I'll definitely be hit by rogue wave later tonight, slip on seaweed into Boston Harbor and wash up on Cape Cod beach in late October after being ravaged and eaten by bluefish for three months.

LOL, I share many of your neuroses.  But I agree, the ocean is one of the best things we have.  Even as a kid, if I was bored, I would head to the bay and all would be better.  It never gets old. I took this pic last weekend.  This is the beach we were camping on.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 20, 2013, 03:46:32 PM
LOL, I share many of your neuroses.  But I agree, the ocean is one of the best things we have.  Even as a kid, if I was bored, I would head to the bay and all would be better.  It never gets old. I took this pic last weekend.  This is the beach we were camping on.

That reminds me of parts of Cape Cod, where the dunes are, desolate and ideal for escapism. Awesome.
           I can't imagine not being on the water. And it absolutely never gets boring to me. One of the ironies of Boston is that you have these awful housing projects...built across from the beach. So you can go from the depressing dungeons to beach in about 30 seconds. Quite the study in contrasts.

SR-71

Flying my C-182rg and going fishing are the things that bring me joy. Also spending time in the sierra mountains.

bateman

Also gonna have to go with the ocean. And palm trees. Classic cars. Art museums. Bourbon. Wine. Guinness, but only in Ireland. Cooking for myself & others. Reading a good book. Learning. Dogs. Cats. Live comedy. Live music. Listening to Art Bell.

MV/Liberace!

watching my little girl start walking.

Oh, a child's first steps... that IS a great time!  It was nerve-wracking as well because I could see how every rough surface or sharp point could inflict serious damage.  Still, enjoy these days, MV.  Believe me, soon enough she'll be trying on her first heels and you'll wonder how the time went by so quickly.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 02, 2013, 01:09:22 PM
Oh, a child's first steps... that IS a great time!  It was nerve-wracking as well because I could see how every rough surface or sharp point could inflict serious damage.  Still, enjoy these days, MV.  Believe me, soon enough she'll be trying on her first heels and you'll wonder how the time went by so quickly.

caught her smoking the other day.

[attach=1]

Okay, so this is not a post about something that brought me joy, but it was a learning experience for my then-five-year-old daughter.  We were walking along a narrow trail in a park, turned a sharp corner and came upon a group of three adults doing drugs.  There was a guy with a tourniquet on his upper arm who was slapping the table, yelling out in your standard stupid, meth-ragged voice, "It burns, it burns!"  The woman shooting him up said, "Don't be such a pussy." The other woman who was sitting nearby just watched with dead eyes. 

My daughter and I had our first talk about what dangers lurk with drug abuse.  I don't mean to go all Mr. Mackey here ("Drugs are bad!"), but after having spent 13 years in law enforcement, I know that certain drugs (meth in particular) are hell on the body.

Anyway, MV, you've got a cutie there.  Enjoy her childhood and protect it!

Afixer

In just two days I hit sixty. Was reading this thread and thinking what "did" bring me joy? Certainly not the same things that did thirty years ago. I learned to drive a motorcycle before ever driving a car. That use to bring me joy. The freedom. That thing about being part renegade. One beautiful crisp summer morning while on my way to work I clearly remember, as if it were yesterday, pulling over on my bike at a pay-phone (remember them?) and calling in sick. I had a great drive to the ocean where I spent the whole day. Now? I wouldn't climb on one of those dangerous darn things for love or money.
My point? Enjoy the things today that bring you joy today. Tomorrow they may not. What brings me joy now? .... a big slice of New York cheesecake and a good movie. ;)  Peace

When you have one of those "ah, now  I get it..." moments.

Similar to knowing the statement "2 __ __ = 4" is true, and hoping you get the operator and not the second operand, as the former uniquely identifies the latter, and not vicey versy.

Tinfoil Hat

Seeing that shot of MV's cute kid made me smile. Thanks for posting it.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Tinfoil Hat on August 07, 2013, 01:29:42 PM
Seeing that shot of MV's cute kid made me smile. Thanks for posting it.

She could be on a thousand greeting cards with cute sayings on them. That photo is perfect for Hallmark, as well as for clever pictures used by forum posters.

jazmunda

The smell of a home cooked meal when I come home from a hard day at work.

Then the infectious sound of laughter as I approach my two girls playroom and the shouts of daddy and the enveloping hugs that ensue.

The silence of the house when they are finally in bed.

The sound of my ass hitting the couch when I finally get a chance to unwind.

The slap of small cold hands on my face yelling at me that it's time to wake up just a minute before my alarm goes off and I have to start it all over again.

Then nothing until I finally come home to the smell of a home cooked meal and then .......

Oh and the first smell of summer in the air is quite special too.

Good stuff, Jazmunda... 

I also like that first nip of autumn in the air.  I love going out at night and seeing the faint tracings of the Milky Way (something that gets ever more difficult with light pollution) and Orion.  Have I mentioned really cold beer?  Goofy neo-newage hippie that I am, the smell of Nag Champa.  (Hey, at least it's not friggin' patchouli!)

HorrorRetro

Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 08, 2013, 12:06:12 PM
Good stuff, Jazmunda... 

Goofy neo-newage hippie that I am, the smell of Nag Champa.  (Hey, at least it's not friggin' patchouli!)

I was outside last night and my neighbors were burning the Nag to try to cover up they were burning weed at the same time.  It's legal here now, so not sure why they were trying to cover it up.

Lately, I've had a grand time going outside right before sunset and watching the bats swarming toward the marsh behind our house.  I hadn't seen them before the other night.  I took the dogs out and glanced up and thought I saw a swallow, but it was definitely a bat.  I stood out there for about 30 minutes watching as more and more bats left our trees and flew to the marsh.  Simple things entertain me.