• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Animated avatars?

Started by area51drone, September 08, 2014, 11:07:21 AM

area51drone

I've tried making my avatar an animated gif a couple of times, and they never work.  Is it some particular format or size they need to be in?

analog kid

They were disabled a while ago, because people were complaining that they were irritating, and I'm partly to blame for that.

MV/Liberace!

I think it'll work if the avatar is exactly 120x120 pixels. I think.

zeebo

Quote from: analog kid on September 08, 2014, 01:45:33 PM
They were disabled a while ago, because people were complaining that they were irritating, and I'm partly to blame for that.

I just noticed one of these blinking, flashing abominations.  Very distracting when reading through the forum. 

MV ... I know I can turn off all avatars but wanted to request please block these again. 

starrmtn001

Quote from: zeebo on August 19, 2015, 11:17:32 AM
I just noticed one of these blinking, flashing abominations.  Very distracting when reading through the forum. 

MV ... I know I can turn off all avatars but wanted to request please block these again.
While I TOTALLY agree with you zeebo, there still are some Gabblers who like all that bouncing around.  I wonder whether there is a way to stop the animation after say, 5 seconds?  Or maybe a settings option to disable the animation for those who don't want it?

zeebo

Seems like these modern wonders are really catching on lately.  They're like a mildly humorus joke, that you're force-told over and over for infinity.   

So a reminder to those who wish to opt out, there's a setting under your Profle / Look & Layout:  "Don't show users avatars".

It's a bit draconian, but still preferable to recurring eye spasms.

Ciardelo

Quote from: zeebo on November 15, 2015, 04:11:15 PM
Seems like these modern wonders are really catching on lately.  They're like a mildly humorus joke, that you're force-told over and over for infinity.   

So a reminder to those who wish to opt out, there's a setting under your Profle / Look & Layout:  "Don't show users avatars".

It's a bit draconian, but still preferable to recurring eye spasms.
If one is using Adblock, one can just filter that particular avatar out. I have 5 or six filtered. That way I don't miss starr's smoky good looks.

zeebo

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 15, 2015, 06:00:45 PM
If one is using Adblock, one can just filter that particular avatar out. I have 5 or six filtered. That way I don't miss starr's smoky good looks.

Good tip, thanks.  Just remember if using adblock, to whitelist bellgab so mv still gets the clicks, and also one doesn't miss out on various dating opportunities.

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on November 15, 2015, 06:14:02 PM
Good tip, thanks.  Just remember if using adblock, to whitelist bellgab so mv still gets the clicks, and also one doesn't miss out on various dating opportunities.
are there any sites we should goto and click the google ads furiously ? this makes it appear they are  gaming the system and get them shut off from googles teat.

zeebo

I think I erred actually, apparently with adblock you can't block individual elements if a site's whitelisted ... seems like one or the other.  :(