• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

gnooryblows

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 13, 2015, 03:12:01 AM
UPDATE

THE AMA HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE OFFICIAL IAMA SUBREDDIT

It is still scheduled for the same day and time. Tuesday, July 14th, at 6:30 pm eastern/ 3:30 pm pacific

It will be added to the calendar on the IAMA sub soon. Thank you for your feedback and patience. It is better to have it on the official IAMA sub being that they do have 8.6 million subscribers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

yo did you see my post? i said 'its possible that saucy will hear back right after i make this post and then i will look stupid' or something like that........and thats exactly what happened. nice job anyhow.

its great to see it on the /r/iama sub thats such great exposure honestly

morgana213

UPDATE

It is still scheduled for the same day and time. Tuesday, July 14th, at 6:30 pm eastern/ 3:30 pm pacific

It will be added to the calendar on the IAMA sub soon. Thank you for your feedback and patience. It is better to have it on the official IAMA sub being that they do have 8.6 million subscribers.

Wow Saucy!  Now that is some good work.  Thanks for your work and for providing the link.  I've never used Reddit, but I'm hoping to be there anyway!  I'll get some practice in before go time.

UPDATE

Very good news.

Art Bell

Boy I hope I can get through this. What does it mean you have a better chance if you offer a reward? I am kind of used to Face Book now, know a small bit about Twitter but Reddit is Greek to me, about all I understand is people get to ask questions, sometimes rude I am told. But whatever gets the word out is fine by me.

I am trying to stay up late in preparation for the show, my sleep habits have changed some, the result of my Daughter who loves to get up early.

The Paranormal has not changed but the World has, Social Media being a great example. I think it is a great force for good and evil. The fact that people can say things and not be responsible for them by virtue of the fact that they hide behind avatars or false names gives people the ability to say hurtful things or in some cases true things that need to be said without retribution, so its a mixed bag.

Anyway, bring it on.....

Art

Art, Reddit is awesome! It's like a modern message board/web forum for younger folks. It's almost exactly the same thing as this except it moves faster, has a sub-forum for virtually every topic on the planet and has millions of users. If you're comfortable posting on a message board like this, you'll love Reddit.

It took me a little while to get comfortable with Reddit but I now spend probably a hour a day nerding out on it. It's a really funny unique web experience all it's own.

WOTR

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 13, 2015, 03:12:01 AMUPDATETHE AMA HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE OFFICIAL IAMA SUBREDDIT
Woohoo!  Well done.  Never been to reddit, but I will be there for this!
Quote from: gnooryblows on July 13, 2015, 03:09:31 AM
mods are NOTORIOUSLY fickle and hard to deal with. their own CEO literally just had to resign at least due in part (among other things) to a recent revolt on the part of the websites mods.
I can only assume that some of them are members here?

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Art Bell on July 13, 2015, 03:43:41 AM
Boy I hope I can get through this. What does it mean you have a better chance if you offer a reward? I am kind of used to Face Book now, know a small bit about Twitter but Reddit is Greek to me, about all I understand is people get to ask questions, sometimes rude I am told. But whatever gets the word out is fine by me.

I am trying to stay up late in preparation for the show, my sleep habits have changed some, the result of my Daughter who loves to get up early.

The Paranormal has not changed but the World has, Social Media being a great example. I think it is a great force for good and evil. The fact that people can say things and not be responsible for them by virtue of the fact that they hide behind avatars or false names gives people the ability to say hurtful things or in some cases true things that need to be said without retribution, so its a mixed bag.

Anyway, bring it on.....

Art

No worries Art. Don't let his post dissuade you. It's all been worked out and set up. I'm trying to make this as easy as possible because reddit is so very difficult to grasp.

I sent you an email with relevant information.

Art Bell

Ha, well we shall see about love. I have had message boards since I had a Commodore 64 BBS up which I wrote
myself in Basic. We had a section called the War room which in many respects is like this board.

If that does not date me, nothing will.

Art

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Art Bell on July 13, 2015, 03:51:46 AM
Ha, well we shall see about love. I have had message boards since I had a Commodore 64 BBS up which I wrote
myself in Basic. We had a section called the War room which in many respects is like this board.

Art

Haha that's amazing. When you do your reddit AMA drop this tidbit. The posters there will love you for that.

WOTR

The Paranormal has not changed but the World has, Social Media being a great example. I think it is a great force for good and evil.
Art

After the blitz is done you ought to have some social media experts on your new show.  You will be a great example of how things have changed and will have quite a lot of experience with the medium. 

I'm still liking the mix of old school tossed in with the technology.  I love seeing the pictures of flyers appearing on lamp posts and bulletin boards over in the blitz thread.

I do have one odd idea that I think I may PM over to Keith.  Not really for the blitz, but for additional exposure once things start.  It may work, or it may not have the technology / will to support it...

Anyhow, great to see you turning into a creature of the night again.

Totally man, I understand.

If you want to get a taste of Reddit, here's a couple of sub-reddits (sub-forums) to get an idea of what it's like.

I am ASK ME ANYTHING sub-reddit (where your AMA would be)
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

Conspiracy sub-reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/

Science sub-reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/science/

Amateur Radio sub-reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/?

Paranormal sub-reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/Paranormal/

And then you can find unbelievably obscure and strange sub-Reddits

Here's a random list of sub-reddits
https://www.reddit.com/r/redditlists/comments/128ayc/list_of_funny_subreddits/

Here's one you'd probably love about asking off beat science questions
http://www.reddit.com/r/shittyaskscience

You can waste hours on Reddit without even realizing it.

Art Bell

[/quote]

Sure, why not? I waste hours here all the time, with sometimes a small headache

Art

sydtron

Well,  I allready waste hours on here withough realizing it.   ;D

A Commodore 64 BBS?  Wowzers! Lol. We had a 64. Great little machine.   Man. Back where you could buy shareware at the grocery store.  Anybody elses local stores do that?  In plastic bags hung on merchandising trees.

morgana213

Quote from: Art Bell on July 13, 2015, 04:11:49 AM

Sure, why not? I waste hours here all the time, with sometimes a small headache

Art
So true! Ha!

serenity

Quote from: Art Bell on July 13, 2015, 03:51:46 AM

Art
I had a BBS set up on an SX64, Remember that one? it was the suitcase model with the built in 5" screen. Had a stack of drives for the messages and games and such. Wow! those were the days that gave us these days!. Time for the early morning 40 m net. TTY'all later

nbirnes

Quote from: serenity on July 13, 2015, 04:24:41 AM
I had a BBS set up on an SX64, Remember that one? it was the suitcase model with the built in 5" screen. Had a stack of drives for the messages and games and such. Wow! those were the days that gave us these days!. Time for the early morning 40 m net. TTY'all later

We, too, had a Commodore 64 and loved it. We even had the William Shatner life-sized stand-up advertisement that was used at a convention. That era ended too soon.

Who

Quote from: Art Bell on July 12, 2015, 10:08:19 PM
One more thing, I am sure I will have Guest's that make all kinds of crazy claims and predictions it's what I do, it is for YOU to decide what is real, I don't call it the FACT show.

That's always been your philosophy and it's a good one.  Unlike Dave who promotes his conspiratorial incarnation of Coast as "the truth."

nbirnes

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 13, 2015, 03:50:07 AM

No worries Art. Don't let his post dissuade you. It's all been worked out and set up. I'm trying to make this as easy as possible because reddit is so very difficult to grasp.

I sent you an email with relevant information.

A couple of good ways to get used to reddit, which is the true front page of the internet right now, is to use this link as your entry point:

https://www.reddit.com/r/all/

It is an endless list of the most trending things on all of reddit, and the goal of this  Art Bell AMA is to get it to the "front page," which means to the top of this endless list. You can do your part to help by registering at reddit and then starting to click the "up" arrows as a vote or push up.

To make your time on reddit extremely pleasant, you really should add the "Reddit Enhancement Suite" into whatever browser you're using. You find the add-in or extension listed in each browser's goodie page.

It is a huge audience if we can bump the Art Bell AMA to the front page. Big media often talks about the reddit bounce that destroys servers, just the way they used to talk about the Coast bounce. So, yes, it's a very important venue.

This is where all media gets their stories earliest, or if there's a catastrophe, it will be here on the reddit front page within seconds and is often the best source of the breaking news. It's very weak on UFOs and such, which is where we all come in.

serenity

You know, I just had an Idea. In ham radio we send and receive postcards called QSL cards. They confirm reception, either one way or 2 way communication. As an AM radio DX'er I would get them from AM radio stations to confirm that I heard them. As a Ham, I get them from all over the world. They have pictures of the station, operator or location , some piece of ham gear or whatever plus address, callsign etc. Maybe Art, you could make a Midnight in the Desert QSL card and send them out for confirmed contacts.

Just another idea

PaulAtreides

Quote from: Art Bell on July 12, 2015, 06:21:40 PM
Big news coming Tomorrow!

Art

You've hired to Tommy to be a producer?

b_dubb

Quote from: PaulAtreides on July 13, 2015, 05:17:31 AM
You've hired to Tommy to be a producer?
I just threw up a little

wr250

Anyway, bring it on.....

Art

Art you handled rude callers with grace, often making the call very entertaining (jc comes to mind). i suspect the same will apply with reddit as well.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on July 13, 2015, 05:02:48 AM

yea 7 days for you,cause your a day into the future. 8 for the rest of us.

If you haven't listened to the Hoagland interview, you should. He really explains a lot of behind the scenes c2c stuff and also explains how his show is going to be.

https://m.soundcloud.com/darkcityfm

MAX

Quote from: Art Bell on July 12, 2015, 10:03:43 PM
The Y2k thing kills me, it was a real problem, the reason it did not cause trouble is exactly because we gave it so much hype that a lot of big company's fixed it before it became a big problem, and that's the truth.

Art

Very True... I work for fortune 50 company, I ran the  Y2k  program for one sector , it was very real and we spent many millions fixing it , if we didn't multiple systems and applications worldwide would have failed, I remember sitting in the Data Center at midnight crossing my fingers..... We got off with minor issues and stayed up....

VegasI15

Anyway, bring it on.....

Art

Hi Art,

People can make requests for others in exchange for a reward in the reward thread.  For instance, there is a thread offering to bake muffins if a certain celebrity will do a Q&A (AMA) on reddit.  What's funny in your instance, the bot doesn't realize you are Art.  So in essence you would be posting a request and reward for yourself.  Hopefully this helped clarify.  If not you can just ignore the bots automated message.  You aren't missing anything important.

Hang on for the ride, it's going to be a wild one.  There are way too many sick and crazy people out there on the wild wild web.  I find it best just to tune out the noise if possible.  Best Wishes..

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Art Bell on July 12, 2015, 06:21:40 PM
Big news coming Tomorrow!

Art

JC will be your call screener?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Art Bell on July 12, 2015, 10:03:43 PM
The Y2k thing kills me, it was a real problem, the reason it did not cause trouble is exactly because we gave it so much hype that a lot of big company's fixed it before it became a big problem, and that's the truth.

Art

Well that reminds me of the joke about the man who used to go around with a spray all the time, spraying all over the place. Eventually someone asked him what he was doing:

- "It's to keep the kangaroos away"
- "But there aren't any kangaroos here"
- "Exactly!"

You can't really say whether it was true one way or the other.

I remember at the time all the talk was how we were so unprepared for the calamity that was going to fall on us, and you had that strange man Gary North on who was really getting off on the prospect of societal breakdown. I think it had more to do
with millennial anxiety than anything else, although perhaps there was an element of truth that got overblown, in typical media style. As a general rule of thumb, whenever someone predicts something, you know it is guaranteed not to happen.

Still waiting for the Killshot.