• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "Exposing PseudoAstronomy" Podcast

Started by astroguy, January 04, 2013, 12:51:45 AM

ziznak

pickin on ol' LMH astro.  You should be ashamed young man!!!

awake

Quote from: astroguy on February 24, 2014, 03:32:11 PM
I think the poll is reasonably accurate given its consistency for as long as I've been seeing its results (many, many years) and my own bias about how stupid the general population is.

Heavy sigh

astroguy

Quote from: The Neverender on February 24, 2014, 03:45:44 PM
just checked this podcast out for the first time today (after seeing this thread)- really enjoyed it
Thanks!

Yorkshire pud

Good stuff again Stuart. Any further news on a debate with (insert pseudo scientist of choice) yet?

astroguy

awake

Great episode!  Very evenhanded treatment given to that YEC goofball.  Do you find it difficult to keep the ad hominem out of your shows?  I know I couldn't do it.

astroguy

Yes, it can be difficult.  As is not ranting.

b_dubb

Quote from: astroguy on March 12, 2014, 11:53:56 PM
Jupiter, gas giant:
Why do you oh-so confound
Evolution?  Hmmmm?

Episode 103, "Does Jupiter Support Young-Earth Creationism?" has been posted.
I find it really annoying when YEC's make these wild "if/then" statements to contraindicate a scientific explanation and instead steer everyone towards a "Because Bible" explanation.  I saw this in the debate between Bill Nye and Ham.  You can't have a conversation with someone whose primary supporting argument for everything is "Because Bible".

Personally I find it very worrying that so many people put so much blind faith in a book that was written at a time when people would routinely drink wine because the water supply was too dangerous.

astroguy

Quote from: b_dubb on March 13, 2014, 11:21:00 AMPersonally I find it very worrying that so many people put so much blind faith in a book that was written at a time when people would routinely drink wine because the water supply was too dangerous.
Agreed.

eddie dean

I've been listening to a bunch of your archived shows the past few days. A marathon of pseudo!
I really enjoy your podcast and blog!! I always learn something new.

In my opinion your indepth analysis of the RCH & Bara  Ziggurat moon image and the follow up conversations on your blog was epic!! 

I have to hand it to you Stewart, you certainly have a lot of class when dealing with these people. They become so defensive!
They must know their data can not stand up to the test of independent scientific scrutiny, or do they? They are forced to defend their position with debate tactics and personal attacks. It certainly doesn't give them much credibility in my opinion.

Did you ever get a follow up call from Jorch's producers about debating Bara or RCH on C2C?
My apologise if you have already answered this somewhere.

If Art ever comes back to broadcasting, you should consider contacting him.
I think he would be more inclined to have you on as a skeptic/debunker. Maybe not with RCH because they're buddies, but perhaps you could debunk another pseudo huckster. There certainly isn't a shortage.

Keep up the good work!

astroguy

Thanks guys.

Eddie - I wish other people realized what you do regarding their debate tactics.  If I'm ever on, I'm debating whether to bring that up at all, but I probably won't unless they do first.  The last follow-up was in February, when I again offered to meet with George when he's in town filming his TV thing (I used to live in Boulder, though I'm now a ~40-min drive away).  He said yes, but when I said I was free any time in March EXCEPT March 16 (today) because I'm headed to a conference in Texas tomorrow, he said that it would have to be April.  So, the e-mail is still saved, and I will be following up, again, when I get back next weekend.

But can we trust you when you don't even have a Youtube video titled

"PseudoAstronomy FULLY REVEALED!!"

;)

ziznak

Quote from: astroguy on March 16, 2014, 07:00:31 PM
Thanks guys.

Eddie - I wish other people realized what you do regarding their debate tactics.  If I'm ever on, I'm debating whether to bring that up at all, but I probably won't unless they do first.  The last follow-up was in February, when I again offered to meet with George when he's in town filming his TV thing (I used to live in Boulder, though I'm now a ~40-min drive away).  He said yes, but when I said I was free any time in March EXCEPT March 16 (today) because I'm headed to a conference in Texas tomorrow, he said that it would have to be April.  So, the e-mail is still saved, and I will be following up, again, when I get back next weekend.
If there is anything you want us to do let us know.  I just mean simple e-mails explaining how we heard you may be on sometime soon and are anticipating your appearance.  Can't hurt right? But since you seem to have direct contact with them and they are interested I guess we can also just play the waiting game. 

Can I make a boxing style poster for it when it finally goes down???... or not.... ? I'll probly make one anyway.  just been busy.  I can hear the monster truck announcer's voice now!!

astroguy

I don't think a quick e-mail to someone at C2C asking about it IF you wanted to would hurt (like, "hey, whatever happened to that offer you made when Mike Bara said some very disparaging things on-air about Stuart Robbins?").  I don't want them to get ticked about it, or for it to seem like I asked a bunch of people to ask them to have me, but if YOU are interested in me being on, I see no reason not to make that known to the C2C folks.

Tarbaby

Astroguy, when you return could you tell me if you got a satisfactory range of elusidating answers to the thread you created on gun proliferation (in the Politics forum). It was the catalyst for over 18 pages of responses. Your query was completely neutral so I assume you were simply curious about peoples' position and reasoning. Almost as if it was a scientific inquiry/study.

astroguy

I'll get back to you on that.  I didn't realize it had grown so large .... apparently my e-mail filtered out a notification that there were new responses.

Tarbaby

As I gradually learned about tentative theories about the monn (and the solar system itself) I found it downright alarming how fragile and tenuous the balance is between planetary bodies. And how a relatively minor event could cause a domino effect sending planets crashing into each other.

(PS, apologies for my egregious typo in my previous post. It wasn't so elucidating.)

astroguy

Tarbaby - Hopefully this will be addressed when I can finally get Hal Levison on.

eddie dean

Quote from: astroguy on April 11, 2014, 10:20:33 PM
Could planets have formed
By budding off a young Sun?
Or, does that not work?

Episode 106, "A Fission Origin for the Planets, Part 2," has been posted.

FYI,  episode 106 downloads as last weeks show, episode 105.
I think NASA is involved. Someone there is obviously trying to silence you. ;)

astroguy

Quote from: eddie dean on April 11, 2014, 10:46:21 PM
FYI,  episode 106 downloads as last weeks show, episode 105.
I think NASA is involved. Someone there is obviously trying to silence you. ;)
RSS feed was correct, link on website is now fixed.

Quote from: astroguy on March 12, 2014, 11:53:56 PM
Jupiter, gas giant:
Why do you oh-so confound
Evolution?  Hmmmm?

Episode 103, "Does Jupiter Support Young-Earth Creationism?" has been posted.

Very nice podcast! I've been catching up and this one especially caught my interest. It drives me wild when YEC's misuse scientific findings and deliberately muddy scientific data to promote their dubious, creationist claims. The only antidote is an informed public, because these people are driven out of a weird combination of evangelism and a fear that they may ultimately be wrong which makes them desperate. If they'd be quietly desperate, no problem, but inserting this nonsense into the school curriculum is frightening.

astroguy

I do sometimes wonder what YECs panic about in back rooms, whether they admit to each other that their ideas are DOOOOOOOOOMED.

onan

Quote from: astroguy on April 12, 2014, 10:21:40 AM
I do sometimes wonder what YECs panic about in back rooms, whether they admit to each other that their ideas are DOOOOOOOOOMED.

They start snickering about some new piece of bullshit, like huge meteors of ice caused the ice age.

astroguy