• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: ShayP on October 29, 2015, 11:45:36 PM
No...just go to a lake or river and hold her underwater just enough where she can see and hear you clearly, therefore knowing why she will go nighty night.

You, sir, are MEAN!

Quote from: zmbabwe on October 29, 2015, 11:44:20 PM
I know.  Why's Art asking these questions?

There's nothing new here, any other week it's an 'okay' show.

He's talking about sports metaphors he's making on Twitter now.

Quote from: WOTR on October 29, 2015, 11:45:49 PM
That's it.  Politics first... And now mixing it with religion is just too much.  Science is going to write the moral laws now?  Fine, you don't like religion- it should not be what is relied on to write laws... But science cannot be relied on to write laws (hello eugenics and craniometry under a certain leader...

Good night all.

Yeah Neil's political views are really naive.

Donald Noory

Quote from: Zzzzillion on October 29, 2015, 11:39:12 PM
So, Neil. Sooo, when did people start beginning their sentences with the word "so", especially science and computer peeps. Most often when answering a question. It's maddening.

Other insufferable language ticks/trends:

1.  The tendency to, like, use, like, the word "like" several times unnecessarily in like, sentences. I don't, like, know exactly when this happened, or who, like, started it, but, like, whoever is responsible ... off with their, like, head.

2.  "I know, right?!" I'm not a violent person, but every time I hear this one I have an overwhelming urge to punch the perpetrator in the throat.

How about corporate pieces of shit who make sure to say "challenges" instead of "problems"? Wanted to punch my so-called "boss" in the face every time he uttered that word. Had a wonderful day when the corporate ass-licker got his ass fired for sexual harassment.

Kolchak

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 29, 2015, 11:45:39 PM
Haha ya but it's kinda fun watching him dodge.

Tyson has always shied away from that stuff. Lawrence Krauss would be the theoretical physicist to have on if you wish to discuss religion.

Barfly

Quote from: coaster on October 29, 2015, 11:43:33 PM
Has a scientist on, talks religion and politics. Groan.
It always comes up, just look at Stephen Hawking's views, same with Kaku and others.
I think they are forced to discuss it because they have all been asked their views in prior interviews, at this point they cant get away from it.

Weirdoradio

Anyone else lose the feed? Tried the TuneIn app and the pop up.

AppealPlay

No...just go to a lake or river and hold her underwater just enough where she can see and hear you clearly, therefore knowing why she will go nighty night.

Where did you ditch the body?

GravitySucks

Quote from: chefist on October 29, 2015, 11:42:39 PM
Those Atlas sites where massive! Basically they were the size of the Apollo rockets, they were stored horizontally and then lifted into launch position!

Here is what one guy decided to do with one:
http://www.scoutingny.com/scouting-a-cold-war-missile-base-hidden-in-the-adirondacks/

Quote from: TigerLily on October 29, 2015, 11:35:28 PM
So tell me about the American Revolution,  Grandpa  ;)

That one you'll have to read about. I had around a dozen ancestors in the fight. Continental Line and state militias. Valley Forge, the southern campaign, Yorktown.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:38:06 PM
In 1969 when 2001 A Space Odyssey came out I figured that we would come close to achieving that Pan Am space wheel and a colony on the Moon. It sure has been a letdown. I'd love to see a big space program again. That's tax money well spent.
Couldn't agree more. Resonates because I saw 2001 in the theater when it first came out, lol...

chefist

Quote from: Weirdoradio on October 29, 2015, 11:48:19 PM
Anyone else lose the feed? Tried the TuneIn app and the pop up.

No problems here on the AAC stream on VLC...

Zzzzillion

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 29, 2015, 11:47:30 PM
How about corporate pieces of shit who make sure to say "challenges" instead of "problems"? Wanted to punch my so-called "boss" in the face every time he uttered that word. Had a wonderful day when the corporate ass-licker got his ass fired for sexual harassment.

It is what it is.

**shudder**

michio

Quote from: zmbabwe on October 29, 2015, 11:44:20 PM
I know.  Why's Art asking these questions?

Because batty belief systems generally f#ck up who's voted in to represent us politically and that's related to how people/politicians view/value/fund science?

I have a million Twitter followers, Big Bang Theory is on TV, all is well.

trostol

Quote from: Rocky4228 on October 29, 2015, 11:50:03 PM
I hate the Big Bang Theory.

i hate it now..i liked it early on..first couple seasons..before they all got dates

Bradsmith313

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 11:50:41 PM
i hate it now..i liked it early on..first couple seasons..before they all got dates
I like the show. I know people like that and have had similar geek debates. Resonates with me.

Rocky4228

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 11:50:41 PM
I've never actually watched an entire episode, but it's on constantly in my house and it makes me miserable.