• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

inuk2600

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:12:41 PM
I guess that's possible? I don't know? Would have to be many thousands or millions of comets though right? Due to the 1% = the size of Jupiter thing. Which I don't particularly understand just yet.

I think we've observed comas larger than the sun. Purer ices might produce bigger blooms with better light blocking ability. I'm just guessing here, but I can conceive of natural explanations.

Rocky4228

My updated man crush power rankings:

1-Bruce Springsteen
2-Aaron Rodgers
3-Neil deGrasse Tyson
4-Craig Ferguson

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 29, 2015, 11:21:11 PM
I think we've observed comas commas larger than the sun. Purer ices might produce bigger blooms with better light blocking ability. I'm just guessing here, but I can conceive of natural explanations.

NDT said it's a free democracy, and voters have all the power.

This man is 'educating' people.

K_Dubb

He's absolutely right.  This country is turning into 19th-century China, caught in a bureaucratic stasis, incapable of innovation, governed by an insulated class of mandarins who are mostly educated on how to dress and talk.

PrairieGhost

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 11:12:37 PM
You watching on Twitch?
I know they bought the rights to all 403 episodes
Bob is great to watch if you cant sleep.

Correct!  8)

chefist

Moon base only makes sense before Mars...work out the bugs first...

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 29, 2015, 11:22:42 PM
He's absolutely right.  This country is turning into 19th-century China, caught in a bureaucratic stasis, incapable of innovation, governed by an insulated class of mandarins who are mostly educated on how to dress and talk.

Case in point.  George Noory has 2.7 million listeners.

Arizona is hostile towards humans and we have idiots live there.

Bradsmith313

I really do like what Neil is saying. No ancient colonies on comets. Torsion fields. 19.5. Science. Focusing on the future. Making things great with real science and technology. I like this.

Quote from: chefist on October 29, 2015, 11:17:25 PM
The interstate highway system was first and foremost built for national defence purposes...commerce was second...

That's right. A young Lt Colonel Eisenhower was a member of the First Transcontinental Motor Convoy in 1919 and concluded from it that the United States needed a highway system capable of moving military equipment throughout the country. So when he became President the Interstate Highway System was one of his priorities.

Barfly

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 29, 2015, 11:23:56 PM
They make some great tea though

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 29, 2015, 11:22:42 PM

Correct.  And it all started in 1913.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_System

Reaping in progress.

Quote from: TigerLily on October 29, 2015, 11:18:17 PM
Yup. I never believe them thar historian types who are livin now and write about old stuff like ya know, history. They think that know everything from book learnin. Hah

Get it from books if you want. Some of us lived it.

=Schlyder=

we build our own Death Star and conquer the Universe.

'Let's not be a two planet species.' -NDT

Champion of scientific progress, lol.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Bradsmith313 on October 29, 2015, 11:24:07 PM
I really do like what Neil is saying.

I totally agree. I've never heard his argument of if you have enough resources to terraform a planet you should be able to terraform earth back into earth....damn. And not thinking we should be a two planet species?? That's a bold stance.

chefist

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:24:44 PM
That's right. A young Lt Colonel Eisenhower was a member of the First Transcontinental Motor Convoy in 1919 and concluded from it that the United States needed a highway system capable of moving military equipment throughout the country. So when he became President the Interstate Highway System was one of his priorities.

That is right...and I live in Tucson where there are many old Titan II missile silos...all located right next to I-10 and I-19...easy to get missiles, war heads, fuel trucks, etc to the launch sites...

K_Dubb

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 29, 2015, 11:23:52 PM
Case in point.  George Noory has 2.7 million listeners.

Exactly.  Illiterate peasant class lost in superstition.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Schlyder7 on October 29, 2015, 11:26:04 PM
we build our own Death Star and conquer the Universe.

Careful, that's fanatical talk right there.

GravitySucks

Quote from: chefist on October 29, 2015, 11:23:45 PM
Moon base only makes sense before Mars...work out the bugs first...
+19.5

I was working on Orion when Constellation got cancelled. Going back to the moon was Bushe's plan.

Now we are still building Orion. We are still building the SLS. Youbjust can't call it Constellation.

We don't know where we are going yet, or where, but we know it won't be the moon, why? Well because that was Bush's plan. The state of NASA's strategic plan is sickening IMHO

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 11:26:41 PM
I totally agree. I've never heard his argument of if you have enough resources to terraform a planet you should be able to terraform earth back into earth....damn. And not thinking we should be a two planet species?? That's a bold stance.

Who is to say Earth is not being Earth exactly as Earth naturally is?   There's the rub.

Zenman

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 29, 2015, 11:23:56 PM

Lol. Sounds like you've been there.

michio

Quote from: zmbabwe on October 29, 2015, 11:18:12 PM
Twitch requires flash?  This is 2015!

I think they're in the process of converting to HTML5.