• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Quote from: stargazr1976 on August 14, 2015, 06:14:07 AM
Hate win 8 hate win 10. Ill stick with seven for a while. Hell I revert to 3.11 and resurrect the bbs, 8)
Hah I've got a working Bigfoot HDD w/ Win 95 installed on it from an old IBM (Aptiva?). I was thinking about ebaying it. Are you interested ?  ;)  ;)

BarryW

Pure hell.  In the first couple of days of W10 being available I downloaded it.  First off, my sound system just screamed at me...echoes and high-pitched tones.  Awful.   I run a Mackie ProFX16 mixer into a Teac stereo 200 watt system...with a set of four speakers...or into my 500 watts per channel stereo PA system.  Anyway...I couldn't get my Mackie to stop screaming...horrible stuff.  So within a day I just went back to W7...I check in a couple of months.  Really awful experience.

MV/Liberace!

completely remove onedrive from your windows 10 machine by running this file:

ufoship.com/onedrive.bat

run it as administrator.

Juan

Adobe is sayng that all the old software - pre-CC - has not been tested on Win10, will not be, and probably won't work.  Thanks Adobe.  I spent thousands of dollars on your software just before you changed to your extortionist rental software.  Now I can't use it anymore if I upgrade my OS.

wr250

Quote from: Juan on October 23, 2015, 07:45:33 AM
Adobe is sayng that all the old software - pre-CC - has not been tested on Win10, will not be, and probably won't work.  Thanks Adobe.  I spent thousands of dollars on your software just before you changed to your extortionist rental software.  Now I can't use it anymore if I upgrade my OS.
most, if not all , will work under wine in linux.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Juan on October 23, 2015, 07:45:33 AM
I have several different versions of Adobe software running on Windows 10 and they are all working fine.

Juan

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 23, 2015, 07:51:05 PM
I have several different versions of Adobe software running on Windows 10 and they are all working fine.
Primere Pro?

VtaGeezer

I nursed my damaged old Win 7 laptop as long as I could but finally had to replace it with a new HP w/Win 10.  I absolutely hate Win 10.  I hate MS's imperial business model of, first, forced obsolescence and now snooping and "rent".   I was perfectly content with Win 7; hell, I was perfectly content with Win XP.  I'm losing Office, Outlook email, and a number of pre Vista apps that won't run on Win 10. And the Win 10 interface is clunky and unattractive.  I'm not a geek, I haven't typed a line of code since FORTRAN.  I know nothing of non-Win OS.  So I'm interested in some options I can explore.  The new computer has a 1T hd, my old one only has about 200MB including Win 7.  Can I just copy my entire old HD to the new one and erase Win 10?  Does Win 10 have hooks in the hardware that will seek revenge?

Lilith

Quote from: wr250 on November 25, 2015, 06:47:41 AM
Beware, latest Windows 10 Update may remove programs automatically
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/24/beware-latest-windows-10-update-may-remove-programs-automatically/

Thanks wr250.  Doing the update now. I saved all my downloads to my OneDrive just in case I loose any.  I will report back if I have to reinstall any programs, and if I DO have to reinstall, I will report back which programs, and if there are any compatibility issues after reinstall.

wr250

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 20, 2015, 12:05:05 PM
I nursed my damaged old Win 7 laptop as long as I could but finally had to replace it with a new HP w/Win 10.  I absolutely hate Win 10.  I hate MS's imperial business model of, first, forced obsolescence and now snooping and "rent".   I was perfectly content with Win 7; hell, I was perfectly content with Win XP.  I'm losing Office, Outlook email, and a number of pre Vista apps that won't run on Win 10. And the Win 10 interface is clunky and unattractive.  I'm not a geek, I haven't typed a line of code since FORTRAN.  I know nothing of non-Win OS.  So I'm interested in some options I can explore.  The new computer has a 1T hd, my old one only has about 200MB including Win 7.  Can I just copy my entire old HD to the new one and erase Win 10?  Does Win 10 have hooks in the hardware that will seek revenge?
i would try a live linux distro  1st. they usually wont access your hard drive unless you say so.
i recommend ubuntu 15.10 (current) or a variant like kubuntu (more windows like with moar eye candy) , lubuntu (minimalist windows like desktop), or linux mint.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: wr250 on November 25, 2015, 07:27:21 AM
i would try a live linux distro  1st. they usually wont access your hard drive unless you say so.
i recommend ubuntu 15.10 (current) or a variant like kubuntu (more windows like with moar eye candy) , lubuntu (minimalist windows like desktop), or linux mint.
I'll investigate. Thanks.

Lilith

The AMD's Catalyst Control Center update is now available since the last windows 10 update on which seems, the AMD drivers were not compatible. The update will probably reveal itself when you log on to your computer.  If not, it will probably download and install when you get/do your next windows update.

wr250

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/12/16/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrades-worse/2/

you can no longer decline to update . unless you just close the window, only to be annoyed again later.
$micro$oft will be moving the windows 10 upgrade into the "recommended"  category, meaning windows 10 will be installed with  all the other updates, by default.

ShayP

Quote from: wr250 on December 17, 2015, 08:01:14 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/12/16/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrades-worse/2/

you can no longer decline to update . unless you just close the window, only to be annoyed again later.
$micro$oft will be moving the windows 10 upgrade into the "recommended"  category, meaning windows 10 will be installed with  all the other updates, by default.

I upgraded to Win 10 when it was offered initially.  I am not tech savvy, but always adjust my settings close to what I want and really haven't had problems in the past.  This afternoon I walk by the computer and I see an automatic update in progress.  ???  It was a big one because it took a while.  Anyway, after the reset I noticed all of my settings were back to 'default.'   >:(

I still haven't seen the option to download updates you specifically want like in earlier versions; rather than being force fed.  :(  I would like to disable all updates.  :-\

cweb

Funny how a system intended to keep people up to date and secure is actually making them do the opposite, thanks to some extremely annoying features.

m$ gets it wrong again

wr250

Why is Microsoft monitoring how long you use Windows 10?
http://betanews.com/2016/01/04/why-is-microsoft-monitoring-how-long-you-use-windows-10/

microsoft knows when you have been naughty or nice.
a few highlights:
people have spent over 11 billion hours on Windows 10 in December
Over 82 billion photos viewed within the Windows 10 Photo app.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/04/windows-10-now-active-on-over-200-million-devices/

trostol

not so much a win 10 thing but...does any one know why cast to/play to device stops working from time to time?

Quote from: trostol on January 10, 2016, 11:55:16 PM
not so much a win 10 thing but...does any one know why cast to/play to device stops working from time to time?

dunno. firewall?  :D

trostol

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on January 12, 2016, 12:22:51 AM
dunno. firewall?  :D

no i found out..its weird bug in the program or something..when you clear the list of the player ..for some reason it locks up

Value Of Pi

Quote from: orangecat on August 09, 2015, 09:52:27 PM
Here is my 2 cents, there is a major inherent wifi problem for many, it can be fixed manually, the biggest thing is your privacy, they may have exceeded Apple with this shit, Windows 10 has a thing called wifi sense, look it up and shut it off, here is an excerpt from Microsofts Windows 10 agreement:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services â€" however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

There is also a part where Microsoft reads your email and serves up tailored ads to you when on the internet, all this is setup by default, it gets worse, currently Im reseting my privacy settings to shut all of this shit off, this is getting stupid. between my Apple and Microsoft computers, Im being driven to Linux.
Maybe I do want to do something illegal, then again maybe I don't.

Windows 10 might not be what you think it is.
After spending many hours on windows 10, Im most likely going to revert back to windows 7 on this one laptop, if you are running win 8.1 and you don't like it, your possibly going to like it a-lot more than 10.
Windows 10 is not called a operating system anymore, its called a service, what is puzzling is what Microsoft calls free, between them and Apple there is nothing free, it is not yet proven if 10 is free for the product cycle or free to use for one year, then after one year you pay a licensing fee, Microsoft claims it is free for the product cycle, in other parts Microsoft claims its free to use for one year, this is mixed in with the "you have one year to upgrade for free", try to figure it out.
Windows 10 is missing many things such as a DVD player, ok maybe you dont watch dvd's anymore on a computer, but if you want to play your DVD's you have to purchase the DVD player from their app store for $15.00, the problem here is, MS wanted $9.95 per year for a licensing fee a few days ago for the DVD player, you can see a pattern forming here, the free time waster games MS used bundle with previous OS's are now free to download from their app store, the problem is they aren't fully functional unless you buy components through their convenient in-app purchases.
Win 10 is a huge in your face advertising platform, if you love intrusive advertising plastered in your face, then windows 10 is for you.
Windows 10 also has the the equivalent of zero privacy, 10 has a huge increase of incoming and outgoing data compared to win 8.1, 8 and 7, I haven't gone that far yet to see what services are using the data.

I'm going to restate the obvious here on the privacy issue because with all the outrage, it sometimes gets lost. People say, where do they get the right or the power to access our data this way? The answer is, we give it to them by hitting "agree" on the contract terms. And they feel comfortable putting in these terms and conditions because they know that most people will simply agree to them, like them or not.

So, for now, if you don't want to give Microsoft all these legal rights, then just keep using a previous OS or switch to another platform. Cross this bridge later if need be. Many here are already doing this.

ziznak

I've got a win7 machine dual booting into ubuntu... I've only used a few different versions of backtrack previously so my linux-skills are a bit fledgling but I think I'm prepared to jump this STINKY ASSED MS ship once n for all...

Still I will keep my 7's running as long as I can...

Had a w7 laptop it died, have not the money to have it repaired. Got a w8 laptop eventually got to 8.1. Have had to reload 2x so far. USB stick ordered from Toshiba, loads 8.0 then you spend 2 days getting to 8.1 again. Bought another laptop  Toshiba 6 months ago after the 2nd death of the first Toshiba. I was supposed to load 10 when it became available but did not. Got a virus or something kept popping up two ads in middle of browser. Went through an expensive cleaning that took 3 days. then they loaded 10 on me. One day later had a reboot or wait screen to install a windows update and I got a black screen and no reboot. Pulled out older Toshiba put in the 8.0 stick reloaded os and went through the 2 day 120+ w/8 updates so I could get 8.1 and updates but MS said it no longer served up 8.1 and I had to do 10. So I did so and things seem ok. I took the other 'puter to Best Buy for warranty. Never loose receipts from Best Buy as they do not keep your records regardless of their stupid card-luckily I found my receipt.I bought USB repair stick for the dead  now in shop but it did not revive the newer 'puter.I am going back to building  a new desktop , I have been waiting,waiting for a new AMD 1090FX chip as I feel that if I jump into a 990 the 1090 will come out~~~.Luckily I have not lost much as I have an external drive I load downloads to. I am avoiding using the new browser MS provides, I do not feel like learning to make it useful, I use Comodo Dragon and Duck Duck search engine. Comodo allows me to use ad blockers that work( It is based on chrome) but has built in security and a shitload of bells and whistles if that is your thing .It allows full graphics when I am opening my mail. Using Duck Duck I get to avoid opening Yahoo which is dumped on me by ATT where I have my mail. through Duck Duck I can get to my mail  without having to see kardashian covered yahoo crap. I am using VLC media player.
Does anyone know if you can play movie DVDs with 10 and VLC? I was having troubles with some before on 8.1. I have a decent 27" IPS monitor I prefer over my old TV.
I run Crap Cleaner ,when I do it always asks to shut down that new browser MS replaced explorer with. I have never opened it but it is always "on" it seems.

Quote from: ziznak on January 13, 2016, 10:53:00 AM
I've got a win7 machine dual booting into ubuntu... I've only used a few different versions of backtrack previously so my linux-skills are a bit fledgling but I think I'm prepared to jump this STINKY ASSED MS ship once n for all...

Still I will keep my 7's running as long as I can...

Windows 10 - "the Future Starts Now"

" By next summer, most of the people who wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 will have done so, while less-technical users who left “Recommended” updates enabled will be upgraded whether they like it or not. "

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/222176-what-happens-when-the-windows-10-free-upgrade-timer-runs-out

onan

Windows next upgrade will be the completion of my conversion to Apple.

JesusJuice

Taybot was trying to warn before Microsoft shut her down.

Juan

I upgraded my four year old Win7 Dell laptop to Win10.  Microsoft said the computer met standards.  Now it boots to a completely black screen.  No commands do anything.  Thanks to the geniuses at Microsoft, you can no longer simply boot into safe mode.  You have to insert a rescue disc or thumb drive.  As mine never booted properly, I was not able to create a rescue disc.  Microsoft said to download their creation disc, which I did, but it does not give me anything on the screen, either. I wonder if I can boot from the Win7 disc and use system restore to go back to 7.
I upgraded my Mac to El Capitan and it took a couple of weeks to get everything working.  I'm moving to UNIX.
Microsoft sucks worse than sNoory.

Quote from: Juan on March 25, 2016, 10:45:48 AM
I upgraded my four year old Win7 Dell laptop to Win10.  Microsoft said the computer met standards.  Now it boots to a completely black screen.  No commands do anything.  Thanks to the geniuses at Microsoft, you can no longer simply boot into safe mode.  You have to insert a rescue disc or thumb drive.  As mine never booted properly, I was not able to create a rescue disc.  Microsoft said to download their creation disc, which I did, but it does not give me anything on the screen, either. I wonder if I can boot from the Win7 disc and use system restore to go back to 7.
I upgraded my Mac to El Capitan and it took a couple of weeks to get everything working.  I'm moving to UNIX.
Microsoft sucks worse than sNoory.
Agreed.
Come over to the dark side.

Juan

Here's an update.  Windows 10 seems to have a well-known, or at least well complained of, "feature" that installs a video driver.  That makes the machine think it has two monitors and it sends video to this second, phantom, monitor.  Hooking up a second monitor brought up the desktop.  None of the online fixes worked, so I rolled back to Win7.  Have fun with your new OS MicrosNoory.