• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20130925 - Matthew Alper - God Part of the Brain

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 25, 2013, 04:48:13 AM

ziznak

Alpner does seem to be talking as though religious people are stupid... and overall i get that vibe from him like he's the type of guy that would annoy the shit out of people at a party.  He's the guy sitting at the bong session thats like...
"Nooo man I was like soooooo stooooned... you don't even understand dude.... "

nobody can ever be as high as you get dude... we get it.

"noooooooo man you DON't get it... soooooo stoned dude"

SgtRocko

Quote from: SaucyRossy on September 25, 2013, 09:39:00 PM
Art is literally on fire tonight with the questions he's coming up with.

This is a fun show - and Art is clearly having a total blast and really enjoying this. 

Glad Art seems to be avoiding that cold!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SaucyRossy on September 25, 2013, 09:37:56 PM
Is it common for people who had bad LSD trips to end up in mental hospitals?

I think not. it's probably more likely that bad trippers end up there because of behavior other people saw them exhibiting, not because they were necessarily damaged in some way.

Designx

It's nice to finally have someone on I agree with - I come from the camp where I think spirituality and religion is complete BS. I can tell he's defensive and I am too - it's the result of existing in a faith dominant population.

SgtRocko

Quote from: ziznak on September 25, 2013, 09:40:15 PM
Alpner does seem to be talking as though religious people are stupid... and overall i get that vibe from him like he's the type of guy that would annoy the shit out of people at a party.  He's the guy sitting at the bong session thats like...
"Nooo man I was like soooooo stooooned... you don't even understand dude.... "

nobody can ever be as high as you get dude... we get it.

"noooooooo man you DON't get it... soooooo stoned dude"

But as far as Atheists go, this guy is respectful and VERY low-key.  Most of the ones you hear are the non-religious equivalents of snake handlers or Fred Phelps.

Quote from: phrodo on September 25, 2013, 09:32:15 PM
This guy is totally illogical. Big Bird... duh... ::)
Yeah no kidding! Big Bird is clearly real, his imaginary friend is Snafulapagus I believe.

popple

You wouldn't recall if she told you she lost her house in a poker game? lol

Quote from: MV on September 25, 2013, 09:36:54 PM
haha, barely. 436am here.

Gonna say this with all honesty. I just put my money where my mouth is. Michael thanks for letting us go nuts.  This forum is a delight. It is becoming a very necessary accompaniment to Art's new show. Thank you for letting this group of maniacs to evolve naturally.  You're the best.   Kids check out that donate button

PrairieGhost

Here's a funny story about a friend of mine that passed this year due to Lou Gehrig's Disease. he once came running out of his house with a ladder and a bucket of tar. He climbed the ladder and started slapping down tar on his roof. Then he ran back inside really fast. Next day I asked him what he was doing yesterday. He's reply was he was tripping and thought it was pouring rain and his house was leaking. What a sight it was seeing a guy in his boxers on a bright sunny day putting tar on a roof!  ;D

SaucyRossy

Quote from: MV on September 25, 2013, 09:40:51 PM
I think not. it's probably more likely that bad trippers end up there because of behavior other people saw them exhibiting, not because they were necessarily damaged in some way.

Yeah, exactly. My LSD trip wasn't horrible or wonderful. I never once felt close to being mentally unstable though.

Again, shrooms however, were brilliant.

Can I get the posters who are listening tonight's opinion.
I am generally a religious person, but I'm not offended by athiest.
Is tonight's show worth me listening to, I really do not want  to subject myself to listening to a guests if all he is going to do is critique religion, talk about how it's impossible, etc.

ziznak

I used to have religious and philosophical conversations with people but I don't anymore... just like politics.

Learned a few weird facts about Alpner tonight tho... he's been through some shit.

SgtRocko

Quote from: Designx on September 25, 2013, 09:41:29 PM
It's nice to finally have someone on I agree with - I come from the camp where I think spirituality and religion is complete BS. I can tell he's defensive and I am too - it's the result of existing in a faith dominant population.

Just believe - or don't believe - what you want.  Nobody else can tell you you're right or wrong.  Never apologise for your beliefs.

...er... unless, of course, your beliefs involve squirrel molestation, or the eating of corned beef on white with mayo.  THOSE we'd have to punish.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: canadiancommie on September 25, 2013, 09:43:58 PM
Gonna say this with all honesty. I just put my money where my mouth is. Michael thanks for letting us go nuts.  This forum is a delight. It is becoming a very necessary accompaniment to Art's new show. Thank you for letting this group of maniacs to evolve naturally.  You're the best.

thank you very much.

Ward

Quote from: PrairieGhost on September 25, 2013, 09:44:32 PM
Here's a funny story about a friend of mine that passed this year due to Lou Gehrig's Disease. he once came running out of his house with a ladder and a bucket of tar. He climbed the ladder and started slapping down tar on his roof. Then he ran back inside really fast. Next day I asked him what he was doing yesterday. He's reply was he was tripping and thought it was pouring rain and his house was leaking. What a sight it was seeing a guy in his boxers on a bright sunny day putting tar on a roof!  ;D

that's real? That is....hilarious! he was seriously tripping..... did you ask him what he was on?

As an ordained minister of the Church of the SubGenius I am offended by this guy:,

praise "Bob"

widespread1

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 25, 2013, 09:45:45 PM
Can I get the posters who are listening tonight's opinion.
I am generally a religious person, but I'm not offended by athiest.
Is tonight's show worth me listening to, I really do not want  to subject myself to listening to a guests if all he is going to do is critique religion, talk about how it's impossible, etc.

nah its not that bad he is just trying to convince that its all in the mind is all.

eddie dean

Art is having a blast tonight!
It's great to be a witness to his curiosity!

indigoo

Art's on point. This dude's view is as dogmatic as a religion. He's no scientist.

popple

It would just be "tremendous luck" if you had a NDE and grandma gave you some numbers, then you played them and won $800 million? This guy wont give up :-[

SgtRocko

Quote from: MV on September 25, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
thank you very much.

Yes - this forum is fantastic, and you're doing an outstanding job.  Thank you.

SaucyRossy

Art backed him into a corner and he used cognitive bias to talk his way out of it.

I understand why he believes what he does, however, he is grasping at ANYTHING he can to justify his belief.

Spinner

You know... I don't remember Matthew being so "forceful" during previous interviews. Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly.

Ward

Quote from: canadiancommie on September 25, 2013, 09:43:58 PM
Gonna say this with all honesty. I just put my money where my mouth is. Michael thanks for letting us go nuts.  This forum is a delight. It is becoming a very necessary accompaniment to Art's new show. Thank you for letting this group of maniacs to evolve naturally.  You're the best.   Kids check out that donate button

yes thank you MV, especially all those years you held the torch for a place to go and vent our thoughts on Art and all things Art-ish!

phrodo

This guy is in total denial ... I feel sorry for folks who believe that this physical existence is all there is... and will ever be.