• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 13, 2016, 09:04:33 PM
... It was great to hear you interacting with your audience again! I notice that when a caller mentions they're associated with BellGab you always seem a little taken back. I suppose that's natural given what went down but I think it's a shame because I'd say the majority here are nothing but big fans. ...

Well said, Doc.  I hope Art picks up more of the bellgab signal than the noise.

ItsOver

Quote from: Value Of Pi on March 13, 2016, 08:25:06 PM
Ha! The vicarious thrill of having that daring Cessna pilot live on air back when will drive Art to attempt a similar feat...
Yes, those were the days, my friend. :)

chefist

Quote from: ItsOver on March 13, 2016, 09:41:57 PM
Yes, those were the days, my friend. :)

How was his radio transferred to telephone so well in that call?

Taco Bell

Quote from: Art Bell on March 13, 2016, 08:47:23 PM
Everybody knows where I live, my Ham call gives my address, people have been coming by and taking pictures for Years, my antenna's can be seen for miles, I could go on. Not really a secret, jeez.

Art

This.
Not the brightest bulbs on this board. Great to hear you again Friday night. Hope it happens again soon.

Robert

Quote from: Faustina on March 11, 2016, 09:37:32 PMNoory DJ'd on local radio for years before making it onto National radio.  I appreciate his professionalism, while at the same time wishing he would take more days off so that one of the sharper weekend hosts could helm c2c. 

From Wiki:  "He began his radio career as a newscaster with Detroit station WCAR-AM.[4] From 1974â€"1978 he worked as a news producer and executive news producer at WJBK-TV in Detroit.[5] He would later serve as news director for KMSP-TV in Minneapolis[6] and as news director at KSDK-TV in St. Louis. He won three local Emmy Awards for his work in TV news.[4]
See, this is why I never say he has no talent, but diagnose his problem w C2C as lack of interest & effort.

SciFiAuthor

Everybody knows where I live, my Ham call gives my address, people have been coming by and taking pictures for Years, my antenna's can be seen for miles, I could go on. Not really a secret, jeez.

Art

Good show Friday night. More are needed. Anyone can look at anyone else's roof on Google Earth. No big deal. Nice drone camera though. Is it a go-pro?

Uncle Duke

Art

I have no question everything you've said here is true.  What I'd be interested to know is the opinion of law enforcement professionals relative to you posting such photographs/videos on social media considering the perceived stalker threat to you and your family. 

There are at least four active/retired law enforcement officers who post fairly regularly on Bellgab.  Perhaps they, or other law enforcement types who are 'gabbers, would care to offer their expert opinions?

Value Of Pi

Quote from: analog kid on March 13, 2016, 08:47:53 PM
As an American (and a lifetime guitar player), I had never heard of Rory Gallagher until the quote from Jimi Hendrix went around the internet - when asked what it's like to be the greatest guitarist in the world, Jimi responded with "I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher." The quote turned out to be fake though, and I never got around to listening to his music.

The album below would be a good intro. Never heard that quote, though I'd guess the source would be one of his more rabid European fans. It might bother some of them that RG never got much radio play or attention in North America. But our loss, really. No need to make stuff up.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 13, 2016, 08:59:31 PM
Back in the 90s I stayed in a B&B just outside of Ballyshannon that was a veritable shrine to Gallagher, lots of signed memorabilia.  The lady who owned the B&B claimed her mom and Gallagher's mom had been best friends growing up.

Reminds me of the dad in "The Commitments" and his shrine to/worship of Elvis.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 13, 2016, 09:35:16 PM
Make that four!  In fact, I just found out about a weekly show dedicated to him on Wrock Radio from 4 to 5 Eastern time, and listened to it for the first time today.  It's a good mix of his music and interviews with his friends and contemporaries. Albert (not Alvin) Lee was on today, and told a great story about when he and RG backed up Jerry Lee Lewis on some recording sessions.  The host of the show is also named Gallagher and might be a relative. It's well worth a listen.

RG fans might also like my old buddy Lucas Campbell's Rock of Ages Radio Show, which airs at 6 Eastern on Sunday.  He specializes in early seventies British and U.S. Southern rock and regularly plays RG.

http://www.wrockradio.com

Thanks, I will check those shows out. Four fans on BellGab is even more impressive. Obviously, a group of people here with a taste for the finer things.

Quote from: Value Of Pi on March 13, 2016, 11:11:23 PM
The album below would be a good intro. Never heard that quote, though I'd guess the source would be one of his more rabid European fans. It might bother some of them that RG never got much radio play or attention in North America. But our loss, really. No need to make stuff up.

I hadn't heard that, either, but there's another story about when JH was on Carson or Cavett and when asked who he considered the best up and coming guitar player nobody had heard of, he supposedly replied something like, "This cat down in Texas named Billy Gibbons."  I'm not sure if that's true, either. 

I have to admit that I hadn't heard him much until I started listening to the Rock of Ages show several years ago, because he got very little air play in the U.S. for some reason. He was managed by Peter Grant for awhile, so maybe Grant didn't wanting cutting into LZ's market share here.  :D. It's a shame it took so long, because he was an extraordinary talent with a genuine exuberance and a singular style. 

QuoteThanks, I will check those shows out. Four fans on BellGab is even more impressive. Obviously, a group of people here with a taste for the finer things.

Enough for a few games of doubles cribbage, anyway!

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 13, 2016, 11:33:55 PM
I hadn't heard that, either, but there's another story about when JH was on Carson or Cavett and when asked who he considered the best up and coming guitar player nobody had heard of, he supposedly replied something like, "This cat down in Texas named Billy Gibbons."  I'm not sure if that's true, either. 

I have to admit that I hadn't heard him much until I started listening to the Rock of Ages show several years ago, because he got very little air play in the U.S. for some reason. He was managed by Peter Grant for awhile, so maybe Grant didn't wanting cutting into LZ's market share here.  :D. It's a shame it took so long, because he was an extraordinary talent with a genuine exuberance and a singular style. 

Enough for a few games of doubles cribbage, anyway!

Never heard of the Hendrix quote on Billy Gibbons, either. But ZZ Top did tour with Hendrix, so it's certainly plausible.

Here's one quote that I do know is true because I heard it said for myself. Somewhere in the mid to late 1970s, Gibbons was asked who the best up-and-coming guitar player was. More than once, he said "Stevie Ray Vaughn." On Gibbons' recommendation, I bought my first SRV album.

As far as RG's invisibility with American audiences goes, it's interesting that he was the opening act on Deep Purple's "Machinehead" tour. That's how I first saw and heard him. The audience in NY couldn't have treated him worse, except if they were throwing things. Totally ignored him except for urging him to get off the stage and, of course, missed the fact that he and the band were terrific.

Now, if that tour hadn't been cut short because of illness (hepatitis, I think it was), history could have been different for RG. Deep Purple was hot and he could have gotten much more attention here as a result of touring with them. But it was not to be. Too bad it worked out that way.

SnapT

Quote from: littlechris on March 13, 2016, 08:52:39 PM
Hello Mr.Bell,

Would you consider having Falkie on as a guest next time you host MITD?

SECONDED!  George "Falkie" Senda is a paranormal phenomenon who deserves to be interviewed by the master of late night talk.

Art, Falkie has died numerous times and returned to life.  He's travelled through time.  He turned down a job offer from Bill Gates when he was just starting Microsoft.  He's met half the cast of the original STAR TREK.  He's a real life Forrest Gump!

INTERVIEW FALKIE!

WOTR

Quote from: littlechris on March 12, 2016, 07:17:06 PM
That would be awesome. But I would like to hear him interview an interesting guest once in a while. Perhaps we can collectively suggest some interesting guests and the most popular suggestions/votes can be interviewed by Art?  Sort of makethe show more interactive with his fans. Just an idea.
Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 13, 2016, 03:35:20 PM
My suggestion is once a week, and BellGab chooses his topics.  Seriously.
I know I'm a bit late... But do we start the suggestions and voting before or after calling him an asshole quitter, reminding him that we all hate him, questioning his honesty and voicing our disgust with his choice of replacement while speculating on his commitment to his wife and child?

Yeah... If you read this Art, please consider giving us full control over your show...  Really, we just have your best interests in mind. 8)

I suppose that I should add [/sarcasm].

Lil Godzilla

Quote from: analog kid on March 13, 2016, 08:47:53 PM
As an American (and a lifetime guitar player), I had never heard of Rory Gallagher until the quote from Jimi Hendrix went around the internet - when asked what it's like to be the greatest guitarist in the world, Jimi responded with "I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher." The quote turned out to be fake though, and I never got around to listening to his music.

Art,
Just wanted to thank you for Friday!

whoozit

Quote from: Lowbot on March 13, 2016, 08:36:51 PM
Yeah, if you have an address.
Presumably Art has not been openly sharing his address in light of the *cough* stalker situation.
So at best you'd be guessing as to whether it was his place. Well, unless he posted himself launching a drone from the gate.

Sigh indeed, smartass.
I admire your perspicacity.  You really do prove that not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up. 

scottydawg

Well got a response out of the King of the Airwaves King Artemus! ;D
The scary thing is that one kid attached a gun to a drone and remotely fired it, as Art said Friday night.
So someone a couple of miles away could shoot at the A.B.'s when they are out in their yard and never be seen :o

ItsOver

Quote from: scottydawg on March 14, 2016, 07:40:54 AM

...So someone a couple of miles away could shoot at the A.B.'s when they are out in their yard and never be seen :o
Huh?  Don't worry, he won't notice.  He's busy.

ziznak

Quote from: SnapT on March 14, 2016, 12:52:18 AM
SECONDED!  George "Falkie" Senda is a paranormal phenomenon who deserves to be interviewed by the master of late night talk.

Art, Falkie has died numerous times and returned to life.  He's travelled through time.  He turned down a job offer from Bill Gates when he was just starting Microsoft.  He's met half the cast of the original STAR TREK.  He's a real life Forrest Gump!

INTERVIEW FALKIE!

he'd get kicked after his first 5 interruptions and then we'd goto open lines

Art Bell

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 13, 2016, 11:00:12 PM
I have no question everything you've said here is true.  What I'd be interested to know is the opinion of law enforcement professionals relative to you posting such photographs/videos on social media considering the perceived stalker threat to you and your family. 

There are at least four active/retired law enforcement officers who post fairly regularly on Bellgab.  Perhaps they, or other law enforcement types who are 'gabbers, would care to offer their expert opinions?

Has anybody considered that the Bastard that caused so much trouble here more or less already knows where I live along with anybody else with 5 minutes on Google?

Art

PKaiser

Quote from: Art Bell on March 14, 2016, 03:28:05 PM
Has anybody considered that the Bastard that caused so much trouble here more or less already knows where I live along with anybody else with 5 minutes on Google?

Art

Hey Art, it was great talking to you the other night, I've never called in before but this time I had the time to redial after the surgery and all.

I did have another question: what kind of vocal mic and headphones are you using? Or is it a headset? If so what kind?

My dad used to tell me stories back in the 1980s about talking with you on ham. He had souped up a CB radio illegally and he said it used to burn you up, lol. But he loved your show, and it was something he and I had in common that we could converse about when things would get strained between us occasionally.

Thanks again for taking my call, it truly made my day!

Phil in Indianapolis

PS: Do you remember who took that fabulous promo shot you use as an avatar? One of the coolest promo shots since The Beatles!

gabrielle

Art is was so wonderful to hear you back on the air.!!!!!

CornyCrow

Quote from: Hog on March 13, 2016, 08:43:11 PM
And exactly what does someone with COPD sound like?

Can you tell if I have COPD from the way I type? 
One method of COPD diagnoses makes exactly the same amount of sense as the other.  Just silly.

peace
Hog
Obviously, a bit of coughing, wheezing, not being able to speak in long sentences without pausing for a breath.  A lot of breath intake sounds over the mike.  Any of that?  I don't listen.

Uncle Duke

Art

Yes, you've made that point before.  My question was directed to law enforcement professionals as to their opinion of posting photographs/videos of your property and family on social media in light of the stalker threat. I'm asking the question of experts, not pointing a finger or criticizing your actions.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Faustina on March 12, 2016, 04:03:57 PM

I think we all need to start being nicer to Art to encourage him to guest host more often.

i agree and it would be nice, but there are some who just won't be able to get over certain things.

coaster

I think subs to MITD would rise dramatically if Art did even one show a week, or even one every two weeks. All I know is even though Art was talking politics, which I hate, I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I was even debating throwing my hat back into the time travelers ring to support Heather. I have been far too rough on her. Imagine taking over a job without any experience, learning on the fly, and without complaining.  I figure that deserves my respect.
Well done, Heather.

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on March 14, 2016, 04:08:33 PM
I think subs to MITD would rise dramatically if Art did even one show a week, or even one every two weeks. All I know is even though Art was talking politics, which I hate, I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I was even debating throwing my hat back into the time travelers ring to support Heather. I have been far too rough on her. Imagine taking over a job without any experience, learning on the fly, and without complaining.  I figure that deserves my respect.
Well done, Heather.

Welcome to the Light Side

Value Of Pi

Holy moly! I posted an album recommendation last night and 523 people have clicked on it and maybe saved the image so far. If only a fraction actually buy some of his music and then turn their friends on, this artist could easily wind up with twice the number of fans in the U.S. that he had while he was alive.

Viral stuff can be good every once in a while, I guess.

PKaiser

Quote from: coaster on March 14, 2016, 04:08:33 PM
Well done, Heather.

Radio is not easy, especially if one is producing, hosting and running their own board. Those are usually three distinctly different talents and are usually performed by three different people. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Heather and she does deserve kudos for what she is doing.

That said, talk show hosts with way more experience would kill to have her job and in any other world would have her job. One needs a ton of lifetime experiences, lots of book learning and hours behind a mic in nowhere, USA before they could even hope to sub for Art, let alone be put in the drivers seat. I do appreciate what she is going through but the obvious lack of basic radio hosting skills I just cannot abide, let alone pay for, sorry. 😊

EDIT: Let me give you just one example: did any of you last Friday catch the way Art uses dead air? The way he has a pregnant pause between certain words and sentences? He's truly masterful at it. A real good talk show host should never be afraid to use dead air to their advantage, program directors be damned. One does not have to talk constantly to fill air time just to fill air time, it is very amateurish. A talk show host is not a DJ....

Value Of Pi

Art

Yes, the A.S.S. knows where you live, no question. I don't in spite of spending that five minutes on Google. (I thought I was a decent Googler. Maybe not.) However, with the help of your video, another five minutes might do the trick.

So the question is, under the circumstances, does it pay to advertise? And if so, why, assuming you think that this guy is still a threat?

coaster

Quote from: PKaiser on March 14, 2016, 04:24:56 PM

did any of you last Friday catch the way Art uses dead air? The way he has a pregnant pause between certain words and sentences? He's truly masterful at it.
x2 on that.

Quote from: MV on March 14, 2016, 04:02:04 PM
i agree and it would be nice, but there are some who just won't be able to get over certain things.

I can do all things through Trump who strengthens me.

I call for allowing Art's interest in seeing Trump as President be a turning point for friendship and love!

Kumbaya My Trump
Kumbaya
Kumbaya My Trump
Kumbaya
Oh Trump Kumbaya