• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sgt Bergdahl comes home (finally)

Started by pate, June 01, 2014, 06:24:49 AM

pate

First off, if this doesn't belong in Politics, feel free to move it wherever...

Anyhow, I've been sort of following this story for awhile now;  in fact the reason I am awake is I heard on the radio this morning (about 4am my time) that he had been released or exchanged.  I woke up and immediately started checking around and it seems to be true...

Here's some stuff to get you started if you are unfamiliar

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sergeant+Bergdahl (this one should really be about all you need...)

and anyone who doesn't have time for that one just above here's a few I found:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2014/0531/Five-years-a-POW-Sergeant-Bowe-Bergdahl-released-by-Afghan-Taliban-video (gotta love Christian Science Monitor!)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bergdahl-release-arrangement-could-threaten-the-safety-of-americans-republicans-say/2014/05/31/35e47a2a-e8ff-11e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html  (Who owns this rag, I mean amiriteorwhat?)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/31/us/idaho-bowe-bergdahl-release-reaction/index.html (Commies need their newspaper too...)

http://rt.com/usa/154640-taliban-prisoner-exchange-deal-bergdahl/ (the new truth & a bonus link: http://masterrussian.com/vocabulary/pravda_truth.htm)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bowe-bergdahl-a-taliban-captive-since-2009-has-been-freed/  (C is for Communist...)

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/05/in-prisoner-exchange-sgt-bowe-bergdahl-released-after-nearly-5-years-in-taliban-captivity/ (always believe Communists!)

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bowe-bergdahl-released/taliban-spin-we-treated-captive-guest-n119461 (never believe Communits!)

http://www.foxnews.com/topics/bowe-bergdahl.htm (LIARS!!!!!! Koch Brothers, evil!)

Apparently, Bergdahl was released in exchange for five Guantanamo Bay Taliban type prisoners.  B was shipped home (alive) and the five were sent to Qatar (alive as well).   Something about the five Taliban types getting a one-year probation in Qatar or something...  Something about Bergdahl being a deserter...  Something about Rethuglikkkans wanted Bergdahl dead...  Some other stuff about Saint Obama...

Me, I am glad the kid is on his way home whether that means facing desertion charges, or being lauded as some sort of hero...  At least the kid's alive, which we cannot say for everyone that went "over there"...

I've always figured that should he face charges of any sort, he should be found guilty and given a sentence of 'time served' & a discharge with full honors.  I'm pretty sure that if we could find out where Bin Laden was hiding, we knew exactly where the kid was at any given time and could have retrieved him if desired...  Anyhow, I raise a glass to his safe return!  (If he can get out of whatever VA hospital he is in the Germany alive that is...)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: pate on June 01, 2014, 06:24:49 AM
First off, if this doesn't belong in Politics, feel free to move it wherever...

Anyhow,  I'm pretty sure that if we could find out where Bin Laden was hiding, we knew exactly where the kid was at any given time and could have retrieved him if desired... 

Only if Steven Segal led it.

pate

You do not dispute that the United States had a pretty good idea where the kid was at any given time?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=pow+dies+in+rescue+attempt

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: pate on June 01, 2014, 07:52:06 AM
You do not dispute that the United States had a pretty good idea where the kid was at any given time?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=pow+dies+in+rescue+attempt

I neither know nor care. As often happens though knowing something isn't the same as having a viable practical method of executing a solution. Eyes on target is quite a way from extracting s prisoner...Except in the movies of course.

pate

Well I've known and cared about this story before yesterday... 

Anyhow, to your point about Steven Segal;  I seem to recall him being married to Kelly LeBrock at some point or another...

albrecht

While I certainly criticize the government and military, especially the politicians and bureaucrats, but I'm happy that this kid is returning home to his family. And how do we know we don't have a plan? If I was working at Gitmo or in the upper-hierarchy I would do clever things. Like upon release of this five "leak" out how we have gotten key information from them under interrogation (even if not true) to sow discord and distrust into the enemy camp. Put some RFID tag on them and track them to their lair. Or even inject them with an isotope or biological that will eventually kill them and/or kill those around them. If I was truly evil one could design the biological with a genetic component and take out their whole clan or tribe.

paladin1991

I'm glad he is going to make it home. 

Oh, thanks to the Emir for his dedication to the US troops and her ppl.  *sarcasm*

So, Obama has decided to start trading with the terrorists. 

bitchin'

Just bitchin'

Yes, after years and years of the D's accusing the R's of 'dealing with terrorists' we have a President who has done so on multiple occasions.  He couldn't be more helpful to Islamic Jihad without creating a uproar.  Supporting the Moslem Brotherhood in Libya and Egypt (and punishing Egypt when they took their country back).  Inviting the Brotherhood's political arm in the US - CAIR - into the White House multiple times.  Installing Brotherhood agents in the State Dept.  Sending arms to al-Qaeda in Syria, and turning a blind eye when our 'friends' in Libya send weapons to al-Qaeda in the Maghreb.  Signaling Iran to proceed full steam ahead with their nuclear bomb project.  And that's just what we know about.

By trading 5 'high-value' Gitmo prisoners, we've made the world much more dangerous for all Americans abroad, and especially all US military personnel.  The word is out to kidnap more.

Once again Obama has thumbed his nose at the law of the land by not informing Congress the required 30 days ahead of time of any Gitmo transfer.

This is yet another outrage.  These Democrats are going to get us all killed.

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 01, 2014, 11:49:58 AM
Yes, after years and years of the D's accusing the R's of 'dealing with terrorists' we have a President who has done so on multiple occasions.  He couldn't be more helpful to Islamic Jihad without creating a uproar.  Supporting the Moslem Brotherhood in Libya and Egypt (and punishing Egypt when they took their country back).  Inviting the Brotherhood's political arm in the US - CAIR - into the White House multiple times.  Installing Brotherhood agents in the State Dept.  Sending arms to al-Qaeda in Syria, and turning a blind eye when our 'friends' in Libya send weapons to al-Qaeda in the Maghreb.  Signaling Iran to proceed full steam ahead with their nuclear bomb project.  And that's just what we know about.

By trading 5 'high-value' Gitmo prisoners, we've made the world much more dangerous for all Americans abroad, and especially all US military personnel.  The word is out to kidnap more.

Once again Obama has thumbed his nose at the law of the land by not informing Congress the required 30 days ahead of time of any Gitmo transfer.

There aren't many radicals that this President doesn't likely support. The only ones I can think of would maybe some fringe skinhead Nazi group, but even then he probably would support them if it helped destabilize the country. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that this character Obama didn't offer these 5 from GITMO an "Obama Dreamer" status and let them simply move here.

Yorkshire pud

You could of course throw the sergeant back if you preferred? I think it's hilarious.  ;D

Fuck it.  You RepubliConservaTarianTPers are correct.  I can't deny it any longer.  Obama is an atheistic Muslim who is married to a transgendered woman.  They both hate America despite taking part whole-handedly in capitalism.  They want nothing more than to see white people on their knees serving Islamic masters, all American companies reduced to green-energy-producing hell holes.  They want American children serving functionally illiterate teachers who indoctrinate our children into denying the bible well sucking off black Muslims.  They want Christmas obliterated, dogs to be served as lunch meat, all Christians soundly spanked, all guns turned to scrap metal to be used for a gigantic sculpture of Obama's throbbing, quivering member that school children will be required to bow to each morning. 

How can we liberals be so blind?

Goodbye.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 01, 2014, 12:43:38 PM
Fuck it.  You RepubliConservaTarianTPers are correct.  I can't deny it any longer.  Obama is an atheistic Muslim who is married to a transgendered woman.  They both hate America despite taking part whole-handedly in capitalism.  They want nothing more than to see white people on their knees serving Islamic masters, all American companies reduced to green-energy-producing hell holes.  They want American children serving functionally illiterate teachers who indoctrinate our children into denying the bible well sucking off black Muslims.  They want Christmas obliterated, dogs to be served as lunch meat, all Christians soundly spanked, all guns turned to scrap metal to be used for a gigantic sculpture of Obama's throbbing, quivering member that school children will be required to bow to each morning. 

Goodbye.

Hey Buddy's back...even if temporarily... ^^^ I know mate, just a matter of time when the visionaries have taught all the liberals the true light. But they'll get there. 

What I find astonishing is they're not even happy they got the soldier back.. They're more worried that the USA let the five free...forgetting of course they might be tracked anyway. Not only but also their Taliban leaders might suspect the same and 'dispose' of them... Too much of a risk..But you see, the liberal Marxists wouldn't have thought of that..oh no sirrree.

US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has defended the exchange amid criticism Congress was not given 30 days' notice before the detainees were released..

That will never do

He said the US had to act quickly to save the soldier's life.

What????? You mean the soldiers life superceded the need of Congress to have 30 days notice??? HOW unconstitutional is that? Yep...he should definitely be given back... Causing all that anxiety in Congress...UN fucking forgivable.

Foodlion

Absolutely correct. This prisoner swap deal was a bad move.
When I was in the service we all knew that under NO circumstances did we negotiate for POWs. This kept the Enemy from trying to capture our soldiers because they knew it was pointless to do so.

I'm glad the man is free again, but we gave these terrorist more power by doing this. Bad move on our leaders part.

After this, expect more soldiers to be kidnapped as bargaining chips since they know it's optional again.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 01, 2014, 12:53:04 PM
Hey Buddy's back...even if temporarily... ^^^ I know mate, just a matter of time when the visionaries have taught all the liberals the true light. But they'll get there. 

What I find astonishing is they're not even happy they got the soldier back.. They're more worried that the USA let the five free...forgetting of course they might be tracked anyway. Not only but also their Taliban leaders might suspect the same and 'dispose' of them... Too much of a risk..But you see, the liberal Marxists wouldn't have thought of that..oh no sirrree.
I guess you didn't read my post. I mentioned all of the above (be glad he was returning home and how to track/kill the 5 terrorists.) But the scenario by 'West of the Rockies' is close to the Obama dream excepting the worshiping a statue of his member. He would more likely just have a statue of himself to be worshiped. And, contrary to many people, I don't think this character Obama is a real believing Muslim but supports Islam so much due to his sordid history and, most importantly, because currently they are the main force against Western Civilization and culture.

Foodlion

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 01, 2014, 12:06:00 PM
You could of course throw the sergeant back if you preferred? I think it's hilarious.  ;D

It's a catch 22 I understand. But it wasn't about Sgt Bergdahl so much as it was about the policy. A policy that has kept soldiers from being taken as prisoners to begin with. The US does not negotiate for POWs, so the enemy doesn't bother trying to capture them. Now that's all going to change.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Foodlion on June 01, 2014, 01:10:40 PM
It's a catch 22 I understand. But it wasn't about Sgt Bergdahl so much as it was about the policy. A policy that has kept soldiers from being taken as prisoners to begin with. The US does not negotiate for POWs, so the enemy doesn't bother trying to capture them. Now that's all going to change.

The UK doesn't negotiate either-officially. It's been going on for years, the alternative is a bloodbath and several soldiers killed. Those who say he should have been 'rescued' have probably never been in that situation. I'm pretty sure if he could have been, he would have been.

Quick Karl

I am glad he is free, and will see his family again, but the trade was just another disastrous blunder by a man that is just not up to the job, and that has a chip on his shoulder about that fact.

Previously released Gitmo prisoners have participated in attacks on US troops and interests subsequent to being let go.  Soldiers have been killed.  And those were the ones deemed 'innocent' or no longer a risk.  Only the worst were sent there in the first place.

I assume anyone Obama and his toadies could possibly have an excuse to release has been released, leaving the worst of the worst.  Does anyone think these 5 'high priority' releasees won't go right back to where they left off, more radicalized than ever?

The proper step now is to immediately execute all remaining Gitmo prisoners so there is no one left to trade for.

And yeah, I'm happy for the soldier, his family and friends, that he came home.  But at what cost. 

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 01, 2014, 02:12:39 PM
... the trade was just another disastrous blunder by a man that is just not up to the job, and that has a chip on his shoulder about that fact.

Looking at things thru Obama's eyes, he's been a tremendous success - incredibly destructive.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 01, 2014, 12:43:38 PM

Goodbye.

Oh come on.  Remember how much fun it is to pile on Sarah Palin and her family, and trash Conservatives generally?

Quick Karl

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 01, 2014, 03:30:45 PM

Oh come on.  Remember how much fun it is to pile on Sarah Palin and her family, and trash Conservatives generally?

The Great and Powerful OZ-bama... Flat out worst thing that ever happened to The United Stated.

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 01, 2014, 03:58:14 PM
The Great and Powerful OZ-bama... Flat out worst thing that ever happened to The United Stated.

Bringing all those slaves here is at the top of the list, but Barry still has plenty of time.

Remember the good old days when he was merely compared to Jimmy Carter?

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 01, 2014, 04:15:56 PM

Bringing all those slaves here is at the top of the list
Yep. Oh, the irony. Lincoln, and others, were right. One wonders what the country would look like- not to mention the productivity and low crime rate- if slavery was stopped sooner and plans, as Lincoln and others favored, like repatriation of slaves back to their homeland happened en masse.

VtaGeezer

The usual suspects went hysterical on the Sunday AM shows over the swap.  Of course, they'd also have gone hysterical if it were a US rescue mission gone bad, if they learned that Obama had rebuffed swap feelers, if Bergdahl had been executed, or was just  abandoned. I'm reminded of the high dudgeon tantrums after Bin Laden was killed.  I am sooo sick of Newt's wild hyperbole...isn't it time for him to devote his time to finding a new squeeze or something?

Jackstar

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 01, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Really? Worse than LBJ X JFK? Have you ever heard of the Total Perspective Vortex?

Jackstar

Quote from: VtaGeezer on June 01, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
I'm reminded of the high dudgeon tantrums after it Bin Laden was reported that Bin Laden was killed.

You just... accept everything that comes out of the television, don't you? Cheers.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on June 01, 2014, 04:26:50 PM
Really? Worse than LBJ X JFK? Have you ever heard of the Total Perspective Vortex?
Yes, worse than LBJ because the government's reach, and especially Executive power, has increased more than exponentially since LBJ's time. So any current President, but especially one like this character Obama who harbors a deep resentment towards Western Civilization and the country, is more dangerous than LBJ; even "if" LBJ took out Kennedy (who was no angel himself and also had organized crime family links.) Power corrupts and now, with the help of the "unitary executive" theories of Republicans and big-spending/regulatory theories of the Democrats means almost every President is an opponent to freedom and liberty.

Quick Karl

Quote from: albrecht on June 01, 2014, 04:20:26 PM
Yep. Oh, the irony. Lincoln, and others, were right. One wonders what the country would look like- not to mention the productivity and low crime rate- if slavery was stopped sooner and plans, as Lincoln and others favored, like repatriation of slaves back to their homeland happened en masse.

I wonder why, in all the other countries on earth that had, have, or profited off of slavery, people aren't still crying over it...

The fact is that England is responsible for more 'slavery', colonization, and subjugation, than any country that ever existed! I mean if you think about it, rationally, the entire continent of Africa should be suing England for "reparations"... and India should be suing too! How about the Dutch for profiting off of shipping Africans from Africa to ENGLISH SLAVE OWNERS in North America, well prior to The Founding? Who is crying to them?

It is incomprehensible that any American Citizen that claims they are intelligent, can sit and watch our country be co-opted by low wage laborers, to the delight of every politician, business, and union leader out there, and not demand that it stop immediately, and that non citizens be sent back to their country of origin.

That act ALONE would raise your income.

But, I guess if you are living off of the government tit, whether a welfare fraud or getting your money from the taxpayers one way or the other, your children can just go fuck themselves.

Hey, you got yours, right?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Jackstar on June 01, 2014, 04:29:35 PM
You just... accept everything that comes out of the television, don't you? Cheers.
Oh dear. Every time you seem on the verge of lucidity, it comes out again.  Don't despair.  It's the 1st of the month...your meds refill ships this week.

albrecht

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 01, 2014, 04:35:27 PM
I wonder why, in all the other countries on earth that had, have, or profited off of slavery, people aren't still crying over it...

The fact is that England is responsible for more 'slavery', colonization, and subjugation, than any country that ever existed! I mean if you think about it, rationally, the entire continent of Africa should be suing England for "reparations"... and India should be suing too! How about the Dutch for profiting off of shipping Africans from Africa to ENGLISH SLAVE OWNERS in North America, well prior to The Founding? Who is crying to them?

It is incomprehensible that any American Citizen that claims they are intelligent, can sit and watch our country be co-opted by low wage laborers, to the delight of every politician, business, and union leader out there, and not demand that it stop immediately, and that non citizens be sent back to their country of origin.

That act ALONE would raise your income.

But, I guess if you are living off of the government tit, whether a welfare fraud or getting your money from the taxpayers one way or the other, your children can just go fuck themselves.

Hey, you got yours, right?
Almost all countries and peoples profited or were involved with slavery. An awful practice and it was Western Civilization, especially the English, who finally ended it (except in Islamic lands where it continues today.) Over time more whites were slaves (the name "slave" came from the Slavs who were used especially by the Islamic hordes as slaves.) Most of the American slaves were bought from other black tribes and traders (including a small portion from Islamic slave traders).  The Ottoman Empire was probably the worst overall but all ancient, and modern, countries had some form of slavery. Now it exists mainly in Islamic and black African areas though also in some Asiatic countries informally- but especially those that are Islamic.