• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Has Any Guest Gotten Pissed At Noory's Idiocy?

Started by EvB, August 03, 2008, 07:54:26 AM

Morgus

If a guest tried to do so, Noory would just hit his big red delay button and cut him off.
Then he would return and say they lost the guest mysteriously.
Thats happened before where a guest was gone after the first half hour and Noory went to open lines or found a quick substitute guest.
Noory never gives an explanation for when that happens too...

But most guests are on the show to plug their books or website or other material. Wouldn't be good for them to attack the host and lose the onair forum for their wares. So most will just suck up to Noory often commenting on the air that he is the best radio host and interviewer they have had. A coincidence?  8)

Gassy Man

Quote from: Avi on August 04, 2011, 01:18:53 PM
Ah, Gassy Man, you taunt us so cruelly - not even a wee hint?
Nah, he's too nice a guy, but I will say that he is among the more intelligent of George's guests.

stevesh

Quote from: Morgus on August 04, 2011, 02:54:12 PM
Noory never gives an explanation for when that happens too...

I think that's because most of the time the reason is that the guest confused Noory by speaking of subjects beyond Noory's ability to understand. If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that happen, I'd have my own studio in Hawaii.

stevesh

Quote from: Gassy Man on August 05, 2011, 11:15:17 PM
Nah, he's too nice a guy, but I will say that he is among the more intelligent of George's guests.

So it's not Jim Berkland ...

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 04, 2011, 09:20:22 AM
   Kind of the pot and the kettle...but Ed Dames seems genuinely annoyed by Noory quite frequently.

That's like Donald Trump calling someone else an egomaniac.

Speaking of which, tonight's guest Mark Alper is already annoyed with George and told him his initial question was too broad.

Max Level

I cant say Ive ever heard a guest come unglued at noorys antics. I have noticed, on many occassions, quests who are taken aback by a stupid, or juvenile question, spouting from George. You'll hear a sudden intake of breath, then either a nervous chuckle, or a long sigh, followed by a fumbling for words. I always get the impression that those quests would love nothing more than to spit out, "WTF?? Havent you been listening? Dumbass..."
And then the sound of noory shuffling thru his stack of 8x5s, trying to find the right answer.

Roger

I think this chap on tonight got a little miffed . . . noted by his several pauses, and at one point I recall him saying
George had gone way past what the guest had planned on talking about.  "The God Part of the Brain" guy that is. It was
kind of funny to my sensibilities, that this guy was pretty much playing the role of a god, saying he created this
concept and how the world was being saved by this new recognition that this part of the brain was inbuilt, but he didn't seem
to have the "atheist part of the brain" down too well.  George's processes of thinking seemed to me to be busy calculating
how this topic was going to be received and so was formulating questions to accomodate 'true believers'.

Although I don't buy the theistic hypothesis as received, the way this guy got peaved at George showed to me he hadn't
really developed his 'first principles' very well, like: how does consciousness come from piror existing non-conscious
components.  Or, for that matter, bodily life from non-living sub-components.  Instead both George and his guest seemed
to revolve their attention to short-circuits in the brain's logic 'faculty'.  Of course conspiracy had to come into it.

George never got miffed, but this guy (I really don't remember his name, not trying to demean him at all. In fact admire
much of his observations) avoided some pretty good questions by George.

George was not bad tonight.  I find myself admiring George more and more as time goes on.  It cannot be an easy job. I'm
wandering in this post, sorry.  Not that enthused about the relentless harping on George as I once was. In fact, this site
is actually getting kind of boring.

M Knight

Quote from: Mister Coincidence on August 04, 2011, 09:17:27 AM
I would be very surprised if at least one guest hasn't gone off on him.  Then again, maybe they are such whores trying to sell their latest book, dvd, what have you, that they just force themselves to ignore it.

I wish I could remember the guest, or date of the show, but in this instance Noory kept mispronouncing a word (or substituting it for another word) in the title of this guy's book.  After the fourth time the guest corrected Noory you could really hear the exasperation in his voice.  The guest gave up on Noory and just stressed his web site address to learn about the book.

As listeners, we become more attuned to Noory's blathering incompetence than the show or the guest.  Guests have become secondary to his display of total befuddlement.

Quote from: Roger on August 08, 2011, 04:54:31 AM
I think this chap on tonight got a little miffed . . . noted by his several pauses, and at one point I recall him saying
George had gone way past what the guest had planned on talking about.

Actually I think Noory's obliviousness really showed through last night. Alper was surprised by some of the questions George asked and it was obvious by the long pause before answering. Overall Noory handled himself better than I expected but there still were some really stupid, stupid questions that were basically just repeats of what the guest just said, or obvious questions ("Do you find your research typically angers religious folks?"). It was clear Alper wasn't really sure what to say here other than just "yes".

The first hour guest was much funnier.

George had on an animal psychic, or whatever she wants to call herself. At one point she said that she had communicated with a housefly. George awkwardly laughed hard and then asked "What'd it say? NO PLEASE DON'T SWAT ME PLEASE LET ME GO" in a super high pitched voice. The woman was obviously taken aback and said something like "I think it's possible to find wisdom in the simplest organisms".

I laughed out loud when I heard that exchange. Glad he picked up the game a bit for Alper, I don't think he would have suffered through that kind of thing as gracefully.

texaskdog

Who was the guest about a year ago that Ian just couldn't stand and went off on him for being so negative, and then the next night Noory made him apologize?

Morgus

Quote from: texaskdog on August 08, 2011, 01:59:06 PM
Who was the guest about a year ago that Ian just couldn't stand and went off on him for being so negative, and then the next night Noory made him apologize?
that sounds like the infamous Ian and Steve Quayle incident.
Quayle is one of Norry's longtime frequent regular favorite guests, so he probably had to stand up for his pal.  :P

b_dubb

crazy is as crazy does. Quayle and Noory form an asshat feedback loop. this loop has the potential to take down the US power grid

M Knight

Quote from: b_dubb on August 08, 2011, 06:21:35 PM
crazy is as crazy does. Quayle and Noory form an asshat feedback loop. this loop has the potential to take down the US power grid

...the origin of "the great sucking sound".

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 08, 2011, 12:20:21 PM
... The woman was obviously taken aback and said something like "I think it's possible to find wisdom in the simplest organisms"...

George Noory being perhaps the exception that proves the rule...

... George was not bad tonight.  I find myself admiring George more and more as time goes on.  It cannot be an easy job.

I'm wandering in this post, sorry.  Not that enthused about the relentless harping on George as I once was. In fact, this site is actually getting kind of boring.

The great ones make things look easy.  Art Bell made it look easy.  George makes it look excruciating. 

And - since you brought it up - boring.

M Knight

In fact, this site is actually getting kind of boring.

A sure sign you have to pick up a different hobby. ;)

JustOneFix

Quote from: M Knight on August 08, 2011, 07:44:57 PM
A sure sign you have to pick up a different hobby. ;)

I seldom agree with Roger, but this is one of those times. I find myself posting less and less as of late. The same topics can only be covered so many times before they get redundant. I still read the board daily but post very little.

We need some new topics and some fresh posters.

anagrammy

George had gone way past what the guest had planned on talking about.  "The God Part of the Brain" guy that is. It was
kind of funny to my sensibilities, that this guy was pretty much playing the role of a god, saying he created this
concept and how the world was being saved by this new recognition that this part of the brain was inbuilt, but he didn't seem
to have the "atheist part of the brain" down too well.  George's processes of thinking seemed to me to be busy calculating
how this topic was going to be received and so was formulating questions to accommodate 'true believers'.

Although I don't buy the theistic hypothesis as received, the way this guy got peeved at George showed to me he hadn't
really developed his 'first principles' very well, like: how does consciousness come from prior existing non-conscious
components.  Or, for that matter, bodily life from non-living sub-components.  Instead both George and his guest seemed
to revolve their attention to short-circuits in the brain's logic 'faculty'.  Of course conspiracy had to come into it.

George never got miffed, but this guy (I really don't remember his name, not trying to demean him at all. In fact admire
much of his observations) avoided some pretty good questions by George.

George was not bad tonight.  I find myself admiring George more and more as time goes on.  It cannot be an easy job. I'm
wandering in this post, sorry.  Not that enthused about the relentless harping on George as I once was. In fact, this site
is actually getting kind of boring.

We are gathered around the death bed of the show we once loved.  It is a shadow of its former self, having been devoured by the wasting disease Noorymia.  Even though the body is curled in fetal position and receives artificial feeding, we feel an obligation to see it through to the natural end.

It is normal for a distant relative to pop in and declare that the show looks fine, is breathing and blinking.  Such relatives don't stay long at the bedside, don't share memories of the good old days, and yes, they do find the vigil, well... boring.

Maybe you don't belong at the bedside, weren't that close or whatever.  The cafeteria is in the basement and leave the candy for the nurses, Roger.

Anagrammy

anagrammy

Quote from: JustOneFix on August 08, 2011, 09:55:33 PM
I seldom agree with Roger, but this is one of those times. I find myself posting less and less as of late. The same topics can only be covered so many times before they get redundant. I still read the board daily but post very little.

We seem to be in a holding pattern seeing what's going to happen as the show drowns and Art Bell has returned to the USA.  Also, I think Michael Vandeven indicated he had a major rework for this site.  Now that Nabila is gone for such an extended time, I'm hoping we'll see that happen.  It's a great group but every pool has to have circulation to stay fresh.

Anagrammy

Avi

Aye, so what's stopping ye? Do as I say, not as I do? I don't mean to rough ye up, laddie, but I'm sure you'll agree, this crowd is a fine bunch of folks. New topics? What's holding you back? Fresh posters? Well, to be honest, I'm just waiting for Aldous to come back so I'm not the only vegetarian without a tv. And, musicologist that I am, I have a song for you:

Easy to Be Hard - Hair (The New Broadway Cast Recording)

Quote from: Morgus on August 08, 2011, 02:09:26 PM
that sounds like the infamous Ian and Steve Quayle incident.
Quayle is one of Norry's longtime frequent regular favorite guests, so he probably had to stand up for his pal.  :P

Didn't Ian have a run-in like that with Alex Jones?  He kept asking him to say ONE thing that wasn't full of doom and gloom.  I'm not sure how long ago, but it was when Jones still screamed and sputtered every time he spoke.
And then he was on with George the next night boo-hooing about how Ian wouldn't let him get his message out. 

M Knight

Some time ago I suggested that the forum was losing (or, more dramatically, not gaining) members because it tried to precariously balance atop the two wobbly columns of "A Declining Radio Program" and "A Retired Host".  You could substitute this for the subtitle above, and it would convey the same message.  Sounds exciting to me.

If the de facto purpose of this forum remains or is perceived to be within that paradigm, then, like any other product on the market it will suffer from inattention at times.  While other sites keep "alive" by creating an atmosphere of egregious Noory bashing competition, this site has attracted a more intellectual dialogue and tone.

As one poster in this thread stated, "we are gathered around a deathbed", and, with messianic zeal, "Art Bell has returned...".  The underlying religiosity is unmistakable, but may not attract anyone but a core group "waiting for a sign".

Essentially, a forum such as this one is more about the individuals participating in it, and subsequent entertaining interaction, than the actual topics being addressed.

onan

This a perfect time to point out even a jackass can say something profound. No not Roger. Anthony Robbins said: "When someone says they are bored, I respond, you aren't bored. You are boring."

There are hundreds of topics here. Nothing prevents anyone from resurrecting one of them.

Pick 5 topics that are interesting to you. Ask about a subject you know little about. Or do what I do and step on someone's toes.

This place has so many interesting people. Law, other countries, astrophysics, broadcasting.

If you take the time, everyone here has a personal story that can touch your heart.

Boring... you have to be joking.

Sent from my DROIDX

Ironically the only ones who appear annoyed by Noory are Ed Dames and the science advisor......

Roger

Well, I do find the show surprising enough that I'm excited to find out where it is going tonight or any night I have the
time or energy to listen.  I work around the time it comes on, as a writer, my favorite hours of deep thought and some lightness
doesn't hurt and interesting subject matter doesn't hurt either.  If I go deeply into my work and the radio fades out in
my attention, you can be sure the topic isn't all that important . . . and that does happen more often than not.

Still, I wouldn't want not to be there.

And I have come to appreciate the positive aspects of George and the parts I can respect and even admire.  I see it as a lot
like grade school or even kindergarten where the new kid gets a little picked on or 'hazed' and finally the gange accepts
and needs the new kid.

I like George.  Like him and even need, yes I said need, to hear his voice atimes.  I like George Knapp, but wouldn't call
him right now my 'radio friend'.  George is because he's there.  If we don't like the way things are, we can keep silent and
grouse about 'the idiot' all we want, but if we haven't lifted a finger to inform our 'idiot's' discression: ?

So I write George, always have, with comments about the shows I've liked and the things I didn't.  We need to be  balanced to
get a balanced person's attention.  A RAVE LETTER LOOKS LIKE SHOUTING (you recall the internet courtesy tutorial right?)

I would like to see more discussions about topics, and keep the funny stuff about George as a different form of intertainment
and I admit freely anagrammy's page on that is VERY intertaining. . . (still trying to visualize a 'mean baby'.)

I like our discussions of topics.  And like I've written here  before, it is a huge site and exploring all the avenues and
byways and niches here is going to take a lot of time.  I'm fascinated by this site and hope it sticks around for a long time.

Roger

anagrammy

Roger, I read your post and have to agree.   There are positive aspects of George's disappointing Coast hosting performance...

I feel smarter when I hear George Noory.  I feel reassured that people of marginal competence can still find --and keep-- work in America.  It does frighten me that the show on Gacy included the description "will review the gruesome details" but my concern was assuaged when George decided instead not to get too graphic.

There is nothing like a sonorous, boring, repetitive, soothing, predictable host with nothing substantial to add to get you to sleep when the world is churning with world-changing events in every sector.

For this I am grateful.

Anagrammy

PS.  To answer your comment about Coastgab being, well, boring... think "salon," Roger.  This is the electronic equivalent of a salon; therefore, it is only as boring as the people who come and the subjects raised.

Ok friends, I have an admission to make..
I did listen to C2C the other night when Nicn Begich was on. I haven't detracted from my non-listening to Noory declaration since I announced it a few months ago. However, I was only listening to get pissed off enough to give him the ultimate insult of a fastblast I could conjure up. Unfortunately, I could only listen for ten minutes and did not reach the required threshold..as well as the fastblast required info kinda made me paranoid.
I must note per topic, the short time I did listen to him interview Begich. It did appear to me that Begich was frustrated with Noory at least twice.