• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Rix Gins

Yet another buffet, though not the Sweden House.  Kind of clever how they have the buffet table sitting amongst the dining tables.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 27, 2019, 03:00:42 PM

Yet another buffet, though not the Sweden House.  Kind of clever how they have the buffet table sitting amongst the dining tables.

That looks cozy, Rix.  Three whole turkeys, you just walk up and rip off a drumstick?  Hopefully they kept the gravy off their yellow breeches hahaha.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 27, 2019, 03:04:45 PM
That looks cozy, Rix.  Three whole turkeys, you just walk up and rip off a drumstick?  Hopefully they kept the gravy off their yellow breeches hahaha.

Haha!  Cozy indeed.  Do you think the house would allow you to play a couple of after dinner songs on the old 88 keys back there?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 27, 2019, 03:10:53 PM
Haha!  Cozy indeed.  Do you think the house would allow you to play a couple of after dinner songs on the old 88 keys back there?

I missed that entirely, since it's painted to match!  I'm sure they have their own piano player and they're like church organists, you know, very territorial.  I have only done that twice (once in Mexico), both times way too emboldened by liquor and with the same with disastrous result -- manual dexterity is the first thing to go, and memory the second.

Rix Gins

Interesting Mayflower stamp on the back of this postcard.  it was the first of a set of three stamps commemorating the landing of pilgrims at Plymouth Rock.  The stamps were printed in 1920. 

Rix Gins

Wedding receptions.  I wonder how many happy couples posed with the bronze statue of Ike?

Rix Gins

Any guesses as to what the sneaky lady is lifting from the guy's pocket?  Magnified, it is something yelllow/golden though it doesn't look like coins, or a gold watch, at least to me anyway.

Normally I like to decipher postcard messages as a service to everybody that visits this thread, but I was getting nowhere fast with this one.  Then I realized that it was written in a foreign language.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 08, 2019, 12:42:36 AM
Any guesses as to what the sneaky lady is lifting from the guy's pocket?  Magnified, it is something yelllow/golden though it doesn't look like coins, or a gold watch, at least to me anyway.

Oh I am sure it is a watch on one of those short chains for your pants pocket rather than an albert chain which needs a vest.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 08, 2019, 08:27:20 AM
Oh I am sure it is a watch on one of those short chains for your pants pocket rather than an albert chain which needs a vest.

Yeah, thanks K.  I think I over enlarged the watch.  It made it look like a thick, gold woman's bracelet.  Now why would that manly guy be carrying that around?  haha 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 20, 2019, 12:13:30 AM

Cool video!  I don't know why the poor lady didn't run with that ghastly horror coming at her like that but that was a different era, I guess.

IMO Duchin was actually a better pianist.  His touch sensitivity was breathtaking.  I absolutely love this style of playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybG7IHH-euk

Rosalie, my darling,
Rosalie, my dream,
Since that night, when stars fell up above,
I'm oh so in love.
Rosalie, have mercy,
Rosalie, don't decline;
Won't you make life thrilling
And tell me that you're willing
To be mine?  Oh Rosalie, be mine.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 20, 2019, 02:51:29 AM
Cool video!  I don't know why the poor lady didn't run with that ghastly horror coming at her like that but that was a different era, I guess.

IMO Duchin was actually a better pianist.  His touch sensitivity was breathtaking.  I absolutely love this style of playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybG7IHH-euk

Rosalie, my darling,
Rosalie, my dream,
Since that night, when stars fell up above,
I'm oh so in love.
Rosalie, have mercy,
Rosalie, don't decline;
Won't you make life thrilling
And tell me that you're willing
To be mine?  Oh Rosalie, be mine.

Very nice, K.  I couldn't resist posting a video of our founder as a compliment to the Duchin postcard.  Haha, yes, that lady from Copenhagen didn't have much say in the matter, now did she?  Lee swooped her up and onto the stage like a gangbuster. 

Rix Gins

Stamp cancellation date: March 5, 1910.

Hello Kid
How you was
by this time
I'm fine  I heard
you was to see
Clara the other
night.
(?) Renrew

albrecht

Found these when going through some old stuff. Back when flying commercial was more fun and the airlines liked to promote their product, instead of just constantly apologizing for it as they continue to make service worse and flying uncomfortable and a hassle. 

https://www.historynet.com/the-legendary-lockheed-constellation.htm 
http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_l1049_en.php 

Rix Gins

I think this makes the fourth Sweden House Smorgasbord restaurant postcard in my collection.  Love that fine food and gracious dining without extravagance. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 04, 2019, 01:58:17 AM

I think this makes the fourth Sweden House Smorgasbord restaurant postcard in my collection.  Love that fine food and gracious dining without extravagance. 

Here they have even labeled the food!  But I zoom and zoom and can't make anything out except for what are probably the meatballs.  I suppose she is carrying snaps (schnapps) on her little tray.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 04, 2019, 03:50:35 AM
Here they have even labeled the food!  But I zoom and zoom and can't make anything out except for what are probably the meatballs.  I suppose she is carrying snaps (schnapps) on her little tray.

And here I thought she was holding a pair of turkey drumsticks.  haha.  I know, I couldn't make out the food either, but if I had to make a wild guess, breaded porkchops in the far right bin?

Rix Gins

Kansas City, Mo.
               Jan 31, 1941.

Dear cousin,
        Just a few lines to let
you know that I am still
alive and that I have a
diferent job.  its a lot better
job as far as work is con-
cerned but pay isn't so hot.

Spookcat

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 06, 2019, 01:13:41 AM

Kansas City, Mo.
               Jan 31, 1941.

Dear cousin,
        Just a few lines to let
you know that I am still
alive and that I have a
diferent job.  its a lot better
job as far as work is con-
cerned but pay isn't so hot.

Interesting that there isn't an address even though there is a message.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Spookcat on September 06, 2019, 06:40:06 AM
Interesting that there isn't an address even though there is a message.

And no stamp.  I have often suspected that people would sometimes mail a postcard in a regular envelope, along with an additional letter, perhaps, though doing so would have cost them some extra cents for stamps.

Rix Gins

8/27/57
Dear Julie and Don,
     We had dinner here
to-day.  This is the place
we told you about.  It
was a beautiful day
Wish you could have
been with us -
          Love
          Dad and Helen